Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Phanatic posted:

Plastic is fuckin' bullshit.

Good news: it’s a sub-ingredient for Grape Science so you’ll have to scale it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
There was one guide on Steam with a compact mall design and boy it gets annoying to navigate later on when finished, space efficiency is not really a positive for malls

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Space efficiency is not a positive for DSP, on the whole. Obviously you don’t need to do outlandish sprawl within builds but an extra vertex or two often makes things substantially easier down the line.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You have more planets than you could ever use let alone fill, there’s really no reason to worry about space.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm not concerned with excessive compactness in this game normally, space is cheap for ordinary gameplay. In my case I'm trying out speedrunning achievements, and having a well laid out early game mall design would absolutely aid that. Also it appeals to a certain aesthetic of mise-en-place I guess.

I made a blind try at the 'land on another planet in an hour' achievement as a baby step just now and missed it by about 5 minutes. I finished my second run around the 60 hour mark, there's definitely a lot of room for improvement there, half of it was just relearning things / trying things differently in a new but stupid way.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Can you daisy-chain your juice or do you need multiple belts to feed multiple juicers? Theory-crafting until I am not working.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, holy poo poo, O-type systems are crazy. 6 planets, stupid amounts of resources, lots of rare resources, wish I could start a playthrough in this type of system.
WELL, since you are using Galactic Scale, YOU CAN!
BUT it completely sucks that nearly all the other planets are like 1+LY away in system with the enhanced scaling the mod uses (and/or I screwed up, but HEY, I have absolutely MASSIVE planets! My gas giants use 255 orbital collectors! :suicide: )

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah I run Fast Drones because of this specifically. It’s still tedious, but you’re limited by your mech flying speed.
And you never want to have your mech flying speed faster than your drones because they will never catch up and will keep draining lots and lots of power.

LonsomeSon posted:

I've finally wrapped my head around a key fact I should really have considered: accumulators are the only really sustainable method of remote power supply
There is a wonderful mod out there that allows you to recycle duterium and antimatter fuel rods but it stopped working with the latest update and I was sad but it updated the other day and I've REALLY missed it (haven't tried the patch yet)
Recycleable Fuel Rods

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Fire Storm posted:

Can you daisy-chain your juice or do you need multiple belts to feed multiple juicers? Theory-crafting until I am not working.
Daisy chain until the cows come home!

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Just started this back up after a few months. How are people working spray juice into their existing factories? All my production lines are modular using PLS or ILS (depending on what they make, if they are on my starting planet or not). Is juice just now required to take up a slot in every tower? Or do you just bring juice in one tower then run some nightmare juice highway all over your planet(s)?

I'm staring at this factory and not sure how to approach this. Both ways seem less than ideal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ideally I think you would lay out your ILS lines such that the final outputs of whatever process is being done at that tower, are run through a sprayer before insertion back into the tower, and you would position your production chunks so that this is easy to run a continuous line of spray through a bunch of them.

In practice retrofitting a factory to do that can be annoying if you build stuff close together but otherwise I think the principle is the same, spray the output before they go into the tower and they will stay sprayed for any future applications of that product, and either minimise the amount of daisy chaining production steps in the same place, or make sure the products are sprayed in those too, which can be fiddly.

I think ideally now you just want every single step of production going from a tower, doing one production operation, spray the output, then put it back in a tower. With the number of available slots in the tower determining how many concurrent production lines you can run through each.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

RVT posted:

How are people working spray juice into their existing factories?

I'm not. I'm purposely avoiding this. Mostly because my setups are too big and it'd be too much work. I'm taking some obvious low hanging fruit from what was already in place. Like I placed sprayers to get me 25% more hashes from white science and 25% more white science in general.

I'm mostly laying down brand new stuff to incorporate sprayers. In this case I only spray inputs - with the exception of my assembly line for the sprayers themselves which spray the spray after it's made so all of my spray in the logistics network is already sprayed ahead of time).

Edit: I apparently stopped typing mid-thought.

As for how I get the sprayer delivered on-site it would completely depend on the setup. For my insane person forge world I'm building right now I have room in the towers. So I'm just delivering the juice right to the tower. I can very much imagine myself with a more complex manufacturing chain that has something like a central delivery system. It would really depend.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 30, 2022

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
OK, yeah both make sense. I built my production lines in rows that line up sometimes, so I should be able to just have one tower brining in juice and use it for a lot of different lines.

And yeah, I'm not going to worry about incorporating it back through everything I've already built. I'll just try to work them in going forward.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, you mostly need some conventions to ensure max coverage. Up to mark 2 they are made of dirt so you can get a real quick and dirty spray everything system with a few redundant tower slots on any planet with more than a smattering of coal, transitioning to a clean and central mark 3 system when you are riding high on a wave of mark 2 glory. The simplest idea compatible with the new miners is spray everything that leaves a tower on a belt. Although I think minimum redundancy needs an analysis on how many different towers can be supplied by a given source in which case there are efficiencies to be gained on spraying widely fanned products on their way into the tower.

For conversion projects your space available may vary as the simplest solution is to just stick a planetary logitower next to every existing one that is too full to accept juice in which case your conventions will be driven by which place has the most room to work it in and you may need to make step by step decisions on if you do it into or out of a tower.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

metasynthetic posted:

I'm not concerned with excessive compactness in this game normally, space is cheap for ordinary gameplay. In my case I'm trying out speedrunning achievements, and having a well laid out early game mall design would absolutely aid that. Also it appeals to a certain aesthetic of mise-en-place I guess.

I made a blind try at the 'land on another planet in an hour' achievement as a baby step just now and missed it by about 5 minutes. I finished my second run around the 60 hour mark, there's definitely a lot of room for improvement there, half of it was just relearning things / trying things differently in a new but stupid way.

I was watching this and even though it beats the game in 5 hours, it doesn't get to the second planet until an hour and 10 minutes. Just thought it was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUmHG-f75YA

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
A mall is only useful as to get stuff until you have logi towers. By then your starting ore is gone and you need to drop a tower in to feed your iron and copper in

Then good luck fitting on the higher end stuff that also needs copper you didn't bring in past electromagnets

I had great success setting up a blue juice setup where every ingredient is sprayed and feeds into a logo tower, then back out to feed the sprayers producing it. 1 level 2 assembly makes enough over time that I can start shipping it all over the planet to feed more assembly lines. I am liking the way I need 4-5 next to each other for inputs and it helped my yellow science lines greatly

By the time I get warpers I'll start looking for a new base planet and it will have more resources on one planet then my entire starting system. Central located to feed the universe

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Alright, I'll just "fix" the structure of my existing outer layer in my O-type star system by splitting up the giant cells into smaller ones, so I have more structure points to absorb sails and may actually finish this thing faster than in like 40 hours of game time.

Oh...

Oh, gently caress this.

Yeah, I'm just gonna reload and keep expanding it as it is.

Weeeeeee

Also, I feel like the devs adding spray was just a way to torture anyone reusing an existing save into spaghettifying the poo poo out of their setups in lieu of redesigning them.
I have such vile monstrosities spidering their way through my previously "reasonably clean" setups, it's not even funny.

But goddamn, sprayed tier 3 spray is overpowered.
I've now burnt through 1.1 million white cubes, have a spray-ifyed processor planet churning out 400 processors per second, feeding sprayed sails and rockets into my launching setup in the O-type system now drains like 5GW alone. It's crazy.

And my lord, are the advanced miners a quality of life improvement. Now all I need is a way to mass-paste recipes to switch my ILS smelting setups, guess it's only possible via mod at the moment.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I have been going around adding spray to certain sub production lines throughout my planets by just dropping new towers where necessary to import the spray, then running snakes of belts where I can fit them to carry it to the sprayers. I make no attempt to retrofit things beyond that, except sometimes I'll remove an assembler/smelter or two to add a stacker loop to keep the output belts unclogged by the extra production.

It'd be nice if Mk3 sorters could place things on stacks. Or add a mk4 that could do that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
More just asking for fun - am I a monster for playing with infinite resources?

(I played factorio with max resources and biters turned off too D: )

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

totalnewbie posted:

No.

With that said resources become effectively infinite once you leave the starter system and the late-game tech for resource mining efficiency scales to the point you'll never have to worry again with rares.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Has anyone done the maths on how many blue belts of products a blue belt of spray can support?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Breetai posted:

Has anyone done the maths on how many blue belts of products a blue belt of spray can support?

60. The math always works out that an x type belt of spray with y uses per spray supports y x type belts. Stacking also cancels out, since you use 4 spray on a 4 stack.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

RVT posted:

How are people working spray juice into their existing factories?

A lot of ILS production lines are just a tower plus a bunch of assemblers in a straight line. On those I just remove the first assemblers and put the sprayers there. If there isn't room in the tower to request juice there's usually a tower making something simpler nearby that has a spare slot. The problem arises when you get to direct inserted setups, and I'm currently working on new designs for some of those. I'm leaving the old ones in place.

For green motors this is the current level of spaghetti I'm on - first time I've ever used the possibility to stack splitters vertically, I think:

A vertically mirrored version of the same setup is supposed to go immediately north of this thing, hence the splitters. I think I've since come up with a less spaghettied way of doing it though but it's less fun so idk.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

totalnewbie posted:

Eh... I play with doubled resources, so I get it. But making things infinite removes a lot of the reason to leave your system imo. But it is your game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

I couldn't imagine playing any of these factory builder games without infinite resources. This is definitely not the kind of game I want to give myself a time crunch in, there's always more than enough to do without needing to re-build old bases in new spaces.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Absolutely not, but as mentioned there are fuckloads of resources throughout every cluster; having done both I’ve found I really enjoy stripping my home system with its pathetic amount of resources completely bare, as sort of a thematic thing. I’ve done some serious-scale stuff in DSP and have never consumed all the iron in any system further than 5ly from my start.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

totalnewbie posted:

Nope. It's a single player game, and even if not...it's your game, play how you want! Max resources, minimum star systems! Download Galactic Scale to start in a system with 9 planets! Set arbitrary rules like you have to do the Mario triple jump every time you launch yourself into orbit! Edit your save to start with a couple of artificial stars and a giant pile of antimatter fuel! Download a blueprint that turns the Icarus into Wheatly from Portal 2...and then change the eye color to a more intelligent personality sphere.

Its your game, play how you want!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Peachfart posted:

Eh... I play with doubled resources, so I get it. But making things infinite removes a lot of the reason to leave your system imo. But it is your game.

Even with infinite resources I would still immediately abandon the boring home system for the largest blue-giant possible just for a stellar backdrop. Plenty of non-resource reasons to leave, like building spheres around black holes.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

so i've finished up all the non-white-cube technologies and thinking about building a dyson sphere (finally)

i made the 14 light year trip to the only O-type star in my cluster

let's see what we got here!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

deep dish peat moss posted:

I couldn't imagine playing any of these factory builder games without infinite resources. This is definitely not the kind of game I want to give myself a time crunch in, there's always more than enough to do without needing to re-build old bases in new spaces.

I see where you're coming from, but in DSP no matter your settings you get infinite resources (or effectively infinite, for all practical purposes) pretty soon after you're done with the tech tree and start getting into repeatable veins utilization tech. That bar really doesn't take all that long to clear. In practice it's not even really possible to exhaust resources anywhere other than in your starter system unless you actively try to.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Dr. Stab posted:

I was watching this and even though it beats the game in 5 hours, it doesn't get to the second planet until an hour and 10 minutes. Just thought it was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUmHG-f75YA

Them burning that fire ice for electricity is painful to watch.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Even with infinite resources you can only extract a finite amount at a time and that is just as effective a limiting factor you need to design around.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Haven't played this in a long while - not since before blueprinting or whatever mod support currently exists. Any must-have quality-of-life ones to recommend?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My first game I finished a sphere in I did it with infinite resources. In my next game I did it the old fashioned way, and the only thing that really changed between the two was that instead of depleting the tiny fields you start around I had to hide them. Besides that I did enjoy seeing the number go down as I voraciously consumed all the resources.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ciaphas posted:

Haven't played this in a long while - not since before blueprinting or whatever mod support currently exists. Any must-have quality-of-life ones to recommend?

first up, get the r2modman mod manager from here and install mods from this site (it works like a charm)
https://dsp.thunderstore.io/

Must haves imo: (cut down on tedium, make stuff faster, gives more info, but doesn't give you any resources or cut out systems)
FastDrones
DistributeSpaceWarpers
RailgunsRetargeting
AssemblerUI
DSPAllPlanetInfo
FastAbsorption
BlueprintTweaks
Bottleneck
BetterStats

Very nice to have but a -bit- cheaty
Personal Logistics
UnlimitedFoundations
Pump_Anywhere

I also like unlimited resources, so I use DSP_Infinite_Resource_Nodes.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Thanks, all - I'm glad to hear the responses. I did feel that resources were in great abundance so I didn't really feel all that bad with infinite resources, but I also hadn't gotten far far into the game (last time, I basically gave up when I tried to massively scale up engine production and said I'd revisit it when blueprints got to be a thing).

It never felt that resource management on the micro level was really the focus of the game, unlike how vanilla factorio can be or a game (I know it's not really comparable) like ONI.

Right now, just setting up the home planet to get going and then I want to WH40K the production levels - if I manage to get there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Samopsa posted:

first up, get the r2modman mod manager from here and install mods from this site (it works like a charm)
https://dsp.thunderstore.io/

Must haves imo: (cut down on tedium, make stuff faster, gives more info, but doesn't give you any resources or cut out systems)
FastDrones
DistributeSpaceWarpers
RailgunsRetargeting
AssemblerUI
DSPAllPlanetInfo
FastAbsorption
BlueprintTweaks
Bottleneck
BetterStats

Very nice to have but a -bit- cheaty
Personal Logistics
UnlimitedFoundations
Pump_Anywhere

I also like unlimited resources, so I use DSP_Infinite_Resource_Nodes.

Thanks for the list - though it seems one of the must-haves has completely disabled keyboard input to the game somehow ????

(e) nevermind, first restart didn't help but #2 did the trick :confused:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 31, 2022

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks for the list - though it seems one of the must-haves has completely disabled keyboard input to the game somehow ????

I get that problem vanilla if I have a controller connected for some reason.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Did a little work on coming up with a slightly nicer early/midgame mall layout, and it has fairly easy access to the output products for later ILS hookup. Could use some work on cleaner input belts in some places.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

retvrn to spaghetti

Finally have a proliferated turbine setup I like. 4-stack output from ILS's is also a lot of fun. I like building long narrow factories that live in "lanes" restricted in their north-south extents by the distance between ILS's, and you can make them really really long now with 4-stack output. This setup outputs 1875 turbines/minute, so just over one non-stacked blue belt. Starts out with a gear/coil section:

The wonderful mess on the right sprays and reshuffles the belts as inputs to the electric motor section:

Which eats up the iron leftover from the gear production together with the coils and gears to make electric motors, which are sprayed in a neat little crossover thingie that swaps the belt sides with each other and finally feeds into the turbine section:

24 coil assemblers to 22 gear assemblers to 54 electric motor assemblers to 34 turbine assemblers. It should be 24 : 21.4 : 53.4 : 33.4 but I've given up on perfect ratios with spraying. If I didn't spray though I'd need 40:40:80:40 instead for 1800/min.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Fire Storm posted:

WELL, since you are using Galactic Scale, YOU CAN!
BUT it completely sucks that nearly all the other planets are like 1+LY away in system with the enhanced scaling the mod uses (and/or I screwed up, but HEY, I have absolutely MASSIVE planets! My gas giants use 255 orbital collectors! :suicide: )

alright i feel like i'm deep enough into the endgame so i picked up some of the QoL mods posted above, but galactic scale definitely looks like second playthrough material and i love the idea

is it actually playable and/or does it break the game (with weird bugs and whatnot)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I've never had an issue with Galactic Scale, personally. And it's fully customizable if you want to create insane systems.