Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Nestharken posted:

drat, dude, most people aren't lucky enough to train at a place with four black belts *total*, let alone promoted in one night. I think you might surprise yourself at your first competition.

The main guy from the affiliation made the point that it was a huge deal to have 4 promotions. There were about 7 black belts present but I think maybe one or two are from one of the gyms in the organization where I train. I didn't recognize the others except from a previous rank review and they had different patches. The four promotions tonight were for the org where I train and two coach at the gym I attend. Pretty stoked for them.

I'm still seriously considering competition but this June seems pretty scary to me, like I won't have enough time to prepare. I just need to hit a couple open mats and ask partners for that level of intensity and see what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I’m mid to late purple belt right now and i’m going through a game building phase that has the same vibe as building a magic the gathering deck

i will not elaborate, no

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
drat more like L Team am I right?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I’m mid to late purple belt right now and i’m going through a game building phase that has the same vibe as building a magic the gathering deck

i will not elaborate, no

More islands, less swamps.

:colbert:

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Sorry but you can only have 3 Pull Guards in your deck :colbert:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
poo poo I just drew an entire hand of "pointless grip fighting"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i will not elaborate, no

Huh I just had this thought last night.

You can elaborate if you want to

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

poo poo I just drew an entire hand of "pointless grip fighting"

That's a build-around draw. You should be doing judo now.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
you've got your core of 4ofs go to options at each of the main positions then you have a toolbox of 1ofs

my favorite MtG/gametheory overlap is the idea of 'having a plan'. Not in a pre-mapped gameplan sense but the idea that if we were to stop time you should be able to identify the following in order of skill required to identify:
1. What is happening?
2. What do you want?
3. What do they want?
4. How can you use this information?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Vashro posted:

you've got your core of 4ofs go to options at each of the main positions then you have a toolbox of 1ofs

my favorite MtG/gametheory overlap is the idea of 'having a plan'. Not in a pre-mapped gameplan sense but the idea that if we were to stop time you should be able to identify the following in order of skill required to identify:
1. What is happening?
2. What do you want?
3. What do they want?
4. How can you use this information?

"Who's the beat down" has never been more applicable.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

for sure. could certainly add identifying if you are offensive or defensive at any point in there

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Vashro posted:

for sure. could certainly add identifying if you are offensive or defensive at any point in there

Who's the Beatdown?

But literally.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Eustace posted:

drat more like L Team am I right?

Seriously. Nicky Rod is insanely overrated. And Idk why Craig wrestled the whole time except to sell his wrestling dvd. They really need to give stalling penalties

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Huh I just had this thought last night.

You can elaborate if you want to

I'm cutting out moves and positions that I love so that I can focus my strategy, basically. I have spent ages floating between all the different half guard knee shields but I'm discarding the high and the diagonal ones and just focusing on the low one. Positions like front headlock/turtle where there are a million different options, I'm cutting down to a Plan A move and then only trying other moves if the first one gets blocked. That kinda thing. Sticking to about four submissions and trying to really hone those pathways.

I was thinking about the thing where you take 4x of your cards to maximise how often you draw them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

MichaelTransaction posted:

Seriously. Nicky Rod is insanely overrated. And Idk why Craig wrestled the whole time except to sell his wrestling dvd. They really need to give stalling penalties

His last loss, he pulled guard and the guy wouldn't engage so he said next time he was going to wrestle to try to force action.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

MichaelTransaction posted:

Its wild to me that Nicky Rod doesnt have a guard. I think theyve been getting high off of their own supply over at B Team

Vashro
May 12, 2004

PEDs can only get you so far

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm cutting out moves and positions that I love so that I can focus my strategy, basically. I have spent ages floating between all the different half guard knee shields but I'm discarding the high and the diagonal ones and just focusing on the low one. Positions like front headlock/turtle where there are a million different options, I'm cutting down to a Plan A move and then only trying other moves if the first one gets blocked. That kinda thing. Sticking to about four submissions and trying to really hone those pathways.

I was thinking about the thing where you take 4x of your cards to maximise how often you draw them.

Thanks, that's an interesting way to think about it

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

CommonShore posted:

if you're just trying out you're better off not looking at any videos and just partnering up with a chill senior student and saying "can you show me how this works?"

There 100% will be someone who's 30+ and a purple belt or higher who looks like they are super stoned and chill or touches computers all day, and they'll be happy to show you stuff. If the place is worth a drat you could even go up to the instructor and say "hey, I'm a bit nervous but I'd like to try something resembling free rolling - is there someone I can partner with who will be patient with me?"

This is so good. This is me. Come talk to me and I will help you getting rolling and make sure we don't get injured!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i will not elaborate, no

This is fun.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

On vacation for a couple weeks and came back yesterday. My cardio is going to be poo poo.

stramit posted:

I was grappling with a white belt yesterday and i've never felt someone put so much strength into a roll before. Dude was fighting like it was to the death. He gassed pretty quickly. Just felt so weird having someone fully tensed and holding on for life. I'm also a white belt but I just don't really use too much strength and focus on balance and technique - i'm terrible at the sport still :)

Im at the point now where my instructor is asking me to not use any strength at all, even with the lower belts that try to kill me because Im the guy who will likely get his brown belt here soon (they keep bringing it up). And when I do, the results are impressive: Im able to use my cardio like a gas pedal.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i will not elaborate, no

haha, I know exactly what you mean

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
coping levels are through the roof here lol

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Sherbert Hoover posted:

coping levels are through the roof here lol

that book is weird. i didn't realize how hosed up the gracies were before. there was lots of rape going on.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Keep getting smushed by people in my class. My white belt journey continues.

To add some actual context: there are a bunch of regular white belts that train 4 or so times a week and these guys generally always get the better of me, but there are also a bunch that only show up sporadically. I have a much better time with these guys.

Anyway, 3 months in really enjoying it. Tough loving sport.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
It sounds like you've come to the realization yourself, but the duration of time since someone started training matters a lot less than the total number of hours they've spent training. My old gym keeps attendance cards for all of the white belts, and you need so many stamps to get each stripe and ultimately a blue belt; it's a little cheesy, but it does do a good job of illustrating why that guy who started after you but has racked up twice as much mat time is working you over, or vice versa.

Just keep at it. Most people hit a point about 6-12 months in where things start to click enough that you can do anything you want to a brand-new guy, and that's when it starts getting really fun.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
I'm trialing gyms after moving to a new area, there's one nearby I like the vibe at, quite a few blues+purples, small-ish relaxed gym with hard rolls (I'm a crap blue-belt, and my last gym had almost all whites & blues, which in retrospect sucked for development). Thing is — almost everyone's big and strong. Feels like almost no-one's below 80kg on the mat, though age mostly seems to be late 20's and 30's. I'm 84kg/5'11"/34, not strong. Rolls were good fun, but at the tail end of last class, I popped my knee getting overconfident in a conditioning exercise.

Anyone trained at a gym with big strong guys when you're not one? Is it worth being concerned about injuries once you're past 30; is it best to find time to lift+eat big and Join the Powerful or is aging a legitimate concern and looking for a not-so-intense place a wiser long-term move? Would also welcome any injury prevention tips to aid with large-men-rolling-business.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm 35 and very skinny at 165 and 6'3. I hurt my neck just last week when a ~240lbs brown belt used a can opener on me.

I'd say first off, you need to know your training partners. If they're big and strong and skilled then you can play a conservative game and generally avoid injuries. If they're spazzy and moving in ways that are fast, strong and *random*, this is a serious problem and injuries are much harder to avoid in the long run.

Strength training absolutely helps. I'm personally feeling physically weak right now and it affects my rolls. Even a very modest at-home routine using simple weights can help here. Focus on mobility work, the stuff that physios will give you to recover from an injury. You won't get jacked doing this but your joints will become more secure and you'll feel less at risk moving through different positions. Conditioning can help too-- if you're so exhausted to can't use your muscles injuries become more common. Going full strength training works great too but is more of an investment.

You can also swallow your pride and ask your partners to go a bit light. Your mileage on this may vary-- I've been in a number of "flow rolls" that resembled battles to the death after 4 minutes.

It seems like your only injury so far was just from your own over exertion. I think you should give the gym the benefit of the doubt, and in the meantime focus on learning your own limitations. Don't feel shame in sitting out a roll or two. Its much better to be able to train the next day than to sit out injured.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Morning Bell posted:

I'm trialing gyms after moving to a new area, there's one nearby I like the vibe at, quite a few blues+purples, small-ish relaxed gym with hard rolls (I'm a crap blue-belt, and my last gym had almost all whites & blues, which in retrospect sucked for development). Thing is — almost everyone's big and strong. Feels like almost no-one's below 80kg on the mat, though age mostly seems to be late 20's and 30's. I'm 84kg/5'11"/34, not strong. Rolls were good fun, but at the tail end of last class, I popped my knee getting overconfident in a conditioning exercise.

Anyone trained at a gym with big strong guys when you're not one? Is it worth being concerned about injuries once you're past 30; is it best to find time to lift+eat big and Join the Powerful or is aging a legitimate concern and looking for a not-so-intense place a wiser long-term move? Would also welcome any injury prevention tips to aid with large-men-rolling-business.

Considering what I went through over the past year Ill give the following advice:

1. Make sure that your instructor is always present on the mat to teach. Hes not running the front desk or chatting it up with people in the lobby. Being on the mat means that he is interested in the development of everyone on the mat.
2. Make sure youre drilling the fundamentals constantly. You dont just learn a move and then come back to a few months later.
3. Make sure your instructor does not give you poo poo for cross training. This indicates he wants to control his students and is not open to anyone coming into their gym as well.
4. Make sure the belt promotion process is NOT based on attendance and you dont have to pay heavy fees for belt promotions. That is McDojo poo poo.
5. Make sure your gym is welcoming and encourages development of women, even if you're a man on the mat. This truly means that the instructor cares for everyone that walks through the door, regardless of who they are.
6. No politics. If there is politics being discussed its inevitable you will be dragged into that nonsense.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It depends how serious the size difference is. Towards the end of my time at my last gym, I was a newly minted purple belt, and we had a bunch of white belts who were all about 40kg heavier than me. It was bullshit. At my current gym the median weight is 10kg heavier than me and you barely notice it.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Morning Bell posted:

I've been in almost the exact situation you're describing since I was a crappy blue belt too, although I had a bit of experience with weightlifting. It depends very heavily on the specific people at your gym. Them being roughly your age is a good sign, since most guys start to figure out that injuries suck by the time they're 30+ and roll accordingly, and it sounds like there's more upper belts there, which is also a good sign. My biggest question is--does the gym have upper belts who are very large but also good role models? By that I mean: are they willing to play guard, do they rely on technique done with as little strength as possible, are they good sports about being realistic with their defenses and escapes, etc. I'm lucky enough to train with two of the most technical SHW brown belts I've ever met, and that kind of attitude trickles down very quickly at a small gym.

Weightlifting is gonna help a lot as far as injury prevention goes, even if your weight stays the same, but it'll also make you better at BJJ because the whole point is to learn movement patterns that put your body in an optimal alignment to generate power, and you can apply those ideas offensively in reverse (how can I take the other guy out of *his* optimal alignment?). Otherwise, all of the usual BJJ advice applies--you can never be too good at escapes or guard retention, tap early and often, get on top and stay on top, etc. etc.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Strategy with bigger opponents is to always go for the back first. Half guard, try to slip out the back. Closed guard, arm drag to the back. If you make that your first move, even when it doesn’t work they’re going to have to chase you to get their weight back on top of you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Been doing more judo lately still than I have for a long time and lots of my poo poo is getting sharp

but I'm still managing to make 90% of my throws bullshit footsweeps even if I go in looking for something else

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

CommonShore posted:

Been doing more judo lately still than I have for a long time and lots of my poo poo is getting sharp

but I'm still managing to make 90% of my throws bullshit footsweeps even if I go in looking for something else

One of the things that made judo famous during the early days when they were having big matches between all of the other jujutsu schools and styles is Kodokan's cool and unorthodox footsweeps and leg attacks that people weren't familiar with so keep carrying that secret flame my friend

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

When looking for a new school, I look for a lot of higher belts training there. Since I figure they know what a good school is and will stay there.
I also look for if a school charges fees for belt tests or if they force you to wear their gi (sorry Gracie Barra).

Also, an observation: There's so many blowhards in this sport.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cru Jones posted:

One of the things that made judo famous during the early days when they were having big matches between all of the other jujutsu schools and styles is Kodokan's cool and unorthodox footsweeps and leg attacks that people weren't familiar with so keep carrying that secret flame my friend

I think in 10 rounds tonight I must have hit 10 combined flexed foot kosotos and kouchis just incidentally while hunting other, bigger, throws. They're really my thing. Basically I get those or end up running into a drive that's like koshi guruma - tai otoshi - soto makikomi

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

o-uchi <-> ko-uchi is obviously the classic combo that can go either way. I'm a sasae and deashi man myself (being 6'5" really lets me hit it from a lot of angles)

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
On physicality talk - I'm 42 and just started. Tuesday last week was my first non-trial lesson, where I wore my gi for the first time. During the practice section (the main portion of the session) I was with another white belt, who had been there 6 months and had one stripe. He also worked a manual job, unlike me. Anyway, we were practicing the rear naked choke, and another one for if you can't your arm around far enough for the rear naked choke (can't remember its name). It hurt quite a bit, even though he stopped as soon as I tapped each time. I was still able to roll afterwards, but I gagged when I left the dojo, and soon realised I couldn't go on Thursday (vague plan was to go Tue and Thur and take it from there) as I needed to heal. I don't know how much of that is my age, and how much just needing to toughen up. It's a week later today, and I'm going back tonight for more punishment. If I can, I will go on Thursday also, but if I need to I guess I will let my body heal again. Throats are quite important, I understand.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

If your choke placement is off and comes across the front of your neck it can crush your windpipe and really suck for a few days.

Try tapping earlier and especially if you're just drilling you can help your partner and yourself by turning your neck and keeping pressure off the front. But like I said no need to try and fight it or let it go too deep.

I've been doing BJJ now about 8 months but started doing judo back in 2003. Like my second week of BJJ class we were working on Ezequiel chokes and the instructor talked about this for a minute and the white belt I was with was like, "What did he mean?" and I re-explained that where the pressure is applied makes a big difference, etc. He goes "Oh, ok" and immediately spazzes on his next try and basically gave me a forearm shot right to the throat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can someone suggest some good MMA shinguards? I'm looking for something that won't get my legs killed when checking but will stay on during a scramble and some rolling around

Money isn't really an issue apart from not wanting to drop like 500$ on a pair.