Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

coelomate posted:

It let's every wanna be daytrader live out their GME superstonk fever dream of cornering the market in $TOKEN by DIAMOND HANDING until lkajsdfkja doʇs ʇᴉ ǝʞɐɯ poƃ ɥo

Wouldn't cornering a token mean that there's nobody using it, hence its price craters and you lose all your money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

The Lone Badger posted:

Wouldn't cornering a token mean that there's nobody using it, hence its price craters and you lose all your money?

Of course not, you keep a steady flow of wash trades going so your token looks valuable.

It's crypto, 97% of the activity has been fake from day 1.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

coelomate posted:

that looks like a mutant ape, basically an ape for poor people. Those have a paltry 21.09 Eth "Floor Price" i.e. just five figures IRL right now

Oh no, coelomate. It's not an ape for poor people, it's an ape for extremely rich people with very poor money handling skills.

You can only get one of those horrible freaks by taking an actual Bored Ape token and then minting and subsequently burning a very expensive mutation token to reroll its attributes on a second table.

If their prices are dropping, then it's because NFT values are cratering across the board.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Somfin posted:

If their prices are dropping, then it's because NFT values are cratering across the board.

Double this hilarity since the price of Eth itself has been nearly halved

So it takes less of the now-cheaper tokens to buy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

coelomate posted:

I feel this and I hope it's true.

Dan Olson's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g) hitting over 3 million views in less than 2 weeks is very encouraging, as is the sentiment in popular subreddits. Like, /r/technology is a cesspool, but it's an anti-NFT and-crypto cesspool these days and love to see it.

Bullying works.

pop education vids are popular, but that info needs to be applied or else its just slackervism.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
smart contracts: code is law, sorry for your loss

https://old.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/sfz4kw/did_i_just_lose_half_a_million_dollars_by_sending/

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

BYOB: Be your own bank

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Bitcoin: sorry for your loss

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
bitcoin: yeah bummer

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the answer is no because it wasnt real money in the first place.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of code being law, this DeFi smart contract thing was exploited and drained of $80mil

they are leveraging the only recourse they have, begging the attackers to give the coins back

https://twitter.com/QubitFin/status/1487436814613098496

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

No such thing as a free ape.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Somfin posted:

Oh no, coelomate. It's not an ape for poor people, it's an ape for extremely rich people with very poor money handling skills.

You can only get one of those horrible freaks by taking an actual Bored Ape token and then minting and subsequently burning a very expensive mutation token to reroll its attributes on a second table.

oh my god i did not know this and now i want to die even more than i used to :smithicide:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Somfin posted:

OK wait, actually it looks like they also sold 10k poor people mutant apes in addition to the sereum grift:

quote:

Thus, Yuga Labs set out to create 20,000 Mutant Apes. Ten thousand of them would reward Bored Ape owners with new creatures based on the traits of their original Bored Ape, while the other 10,000 would be designed to welcome newcomers into the Bored Ape ecosystem with a lower cost of entry.

For the latter, 10,000 Mutant Apes would be sold via a "Dutch Auction" on August 28. A Dutch auction is a method in which an item is auctioned at a higher asking price and gradually lowered. Yuga Labs set the original Mutant Ape price at 3 ETH and reduced it until they were all sold.

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post...d-ape-ecosystem

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

On the one hand it's all a giant scam, on the other I keep seeing old-school mainstream scammers making noises about crypto, too. I assume the old guard criminals feel compelled to at least pay lip service to the new crime, and "media" like Forbes have an incentive to play along.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billyb...er-ethereum-bet

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billyb...o-and-xrp-crash

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

coelomate posted:

oh my god i did not know this and now i want to die even more than i used to :smithicide:

To paraphrase Olson, though, the expected minimum price of a mutated ape is X, where X is the amount it cost to create.

They're all idiot baghodlers hodling toxic assets and all of them are gonna lose every bit of their money. Probably in the next two years.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/Brownmgold/status/1487591804987916293

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This thread always makes me feel good about my financial decisions

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sorry to interrupt the very important slapfight over the level of Nazism in BAYC, but I wanted to loop back to the Yanis interview and post another article that pulls one of my favorite quotes in recent memory. In discussing play-to-earn games, particularly in regards to the global south, he said they could be "the apotheosis of misanthropy." It just feels like the perfect summation of crypto in general.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ex-valve-economist-says-play-to-earn-could-be-the-apotheosis-of-misanthropy

It's a good interview

quote:

Q: One of the persistent critiques of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum is their immense energy use, which, on the surface, seems like the price to pay for not trusting the state as the arbiter of truth/provider of trust. The solution proposed by the Ethereum Foundation has been to shift from today’s energy-intensive mechanism of Proof of Work to the less environmentally damaging Proof of Stake. Yet, the latter, once you look closely at the details, solves the energy problem by making the entire system more plutocratic, because, in essence, it runs on the principle ‘one dollar (or ether) = one vote’. What makes this crypto-plutocracy tolerable to many of its advocates is their jaded view of today’s financial system, which they see as even more plutocratic and hell-bent on appropriating even more of the bailout money. How does one answer such critiques?

A: The environmental costs of crypto are very large, undoubtedly. But, even if there existed a magic wand whose waiving would make blockchain run on zero watts, crypto currencies would remain more of a problem than a solution – for reasons I explained above. In brief, within our present oligarchic, exploitative, irrational, and inhuman world system, the rise of crypto applications will only make our society more oligarchic, more exploitative, more irrational, and more inhuman. This is why, in opposing the crypto enthusiasts, I never even bother to mention their environmental repercussions.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

repiv posted:

speaking of code being law, this DeFi smart contract thing was exploited and drained of $80mil

they are leveraging the only recourse they have, begging the attackers to give the coins back

https://twitter.com/QubitFin/status/1487436814613098496

I always wonder if these claims are some sort of farce. Transfer money out of your bank, Claim you got hacked. Return % back minus some "bounty" walk away with a cool several million. It happens far too often for me to say there's leagues of whitehat hackers out just trying to make a point.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nullEntityRNG posted:

I always wonder if these claims are some sort of farce. Transfer money out of your bank, Claim you got hacked. Return % back minus some "bounty" walk away with a cool several million. It happens far too often for me to say there's leagues of whitehat hackers out just trying to make a point.

Several million on paper. I'm not sure but is there any real accounting of real money in and out of the system? Crypto is all about massive numbers in market cap and volume, but it's all taking place within their own ecosystem, propped up with Tethers and moonbeams. Various blockchain-based IOUs trading hands back and forth, but where is the actual money? I know a lot of the big players are going to have funds being stashed away in offshore banks, but it seems like there isn't much clarity on how much actual money is truly in play.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah, crossposting, but tether has stopped printing but other stable coins have picked up the slack

It's all imaginary money. I'd just like to know when it bursts.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why is gov printing money bad, but butts printing money good?

also why does their printing not make the dreaded i word, inflation happen?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because they pretend that the stablecoins are actually equivalent to real dollars, and more dollars means number go up. More money in the Bitcoin market means each Bitcoin is worth more, see? More money + fixed number of Bitcoins = higher Bitcoin price. The fact that the "money" is vaporware is just ignored. The equation for other cryptos is going to be slightly different, but since it is all a shell game based around Bitcoin the essential truth remains, I believe.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/curator1of1/status/1487364584516239369

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Red

so I could make money every time coiners are in the red

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/dingalingts/status/1486654448328146944

so apparently that exploit i talked about where older listings of your NFT on opensea were vulnerable because people could still buy your NFT at that price if you didn't spend gas to cancel the transaction... well opensea made it worse by telling everyone to cancel their listings while the NFT was in the same wallet address..

because what happened was hackers who were looking at all the transactions on ethereum's blockchain were looking for these cancellations and anyone can see you canceling one of those older transactions. but since transactions are not instant, hackers can see that you had a ticket to sell your monkey at a low price. so they'd go to opensea, find the NFT and buy it at that price. and apparently as long as the transaction to buy the NFT is inside the same blockchain as the cancelation of that price opensea will still accept that as a sale and transfer your NFT for the lower price to the hacker.

so in effect, opensea's email instructing their users to cancel any older listings basically gave hackers a big red sign letting them know how to pick up those NFTs for cheap and made them actually more vulnerable to the hack. if you previously were safe because no one scraped your older price listings, well now they knew about it...

what opensea should have instructed users to do is to move the NFT out of their wallet so if a hacker tried to do this he wouldn't be able to buy the NFT... but essentially due to opensea's incompetence they actually made the situation worse.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
openpee

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Strong Sauce posted:

so apparently that exploit i talked about where older listings of your NFT on opensea were vulnerable because people could still buy your NFT at that price if you didn't spend gas to cancel the transaction... well opensea made it worse by telling everyone to cancel their listings while the NFT was in the same wallet address..

because what happened was hackers who were looking at all the transactions on ethereum's blockchain were looking for these cancellations and anyone can see you canceling one of those older transactions. but since transactions are not instant, hackers can see that you had a ticket to sell your monkey at a low price. so they'd go to opensea, find the NFT and buy it at that price. and apparently as long as the transaction to buy the NFT is inside the same blockchain as the cancelation of that price opensea will still accept that as a sale and transfer your NFT for the lower price to the hacker.

so in effect, opensea's email instructing their users to cancel any older listings basically gave hackers a big red sign letting them know how to pick up those NFTs for cheap and made them actually more vulnerable to the hack. if you previously were safe because no one scraped your older price listings, well now they knew about it...

what opensea should have instructed users to do is to move the NFT out of their wallet so if a hacker tried to do this he wouldn't be able to buy the NFT... but essentially due to opensea's incompetence they actually made the situation worse.

magnificent

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Strong Sauce posted:

it's like when you go to slashdot and there's a story about a kitten rescue sanctuary and you think "surely this won't turn into a vicious political anti-PC facist slapfight" but then it inevitably does; with these NFT stories i keep thinking "we've hit the bottom it can't get any stupider" but here we are.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
future of currency and commerce right here, folks

get in on the ground floor while you still can

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

quote:

Mainstream crypto adoption means smart wallets + social recovery + intuitive UIs

Social recovery.... Or begging for the money back

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/AltcoinGordon/status/1487058803879251976

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
People think blockchain is the fast track to the American dream in an increasingly unequal world and it’s extremely sad. Mtgox should be known as one of the all time biggest heists in history yet DIAMOND HANDERS truly believe crypto = secure.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

IYKYK

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

down n out posted:

People think blockchain is the fast track to the American dream in an increasingly unequal world and it’s extremely sad. Mtgox should be known as one of the all time biggest heists in history yet DIAMOND HANDERS truly believe crypto = secure.

the diamond handers learned not to keep all your money in an exchange

instead you should keep it all in a hardware wallet, the crypto equivalent of keeping your life savings in cash under your mattress

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

You don't think that's real, do you?

What gives it that air of authenticity - is it the banner picture of a Goldman lobby (most people put the lobby of their employer in their profile pic after all!). Is it the non-stop retweeting of official Goldman news?

Or is it the decade of inactivity before those retweets started and the shilling began?

https://twitter.com/Brownmgold/status/374518041691688960

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

PhazonLink posted:

I'm no economist, but... the cryptocurrency ecosystem is constantly being drained of money because miners have to pay the power companies for the massive amounts of energy they use. so just because money is being pumped into the system, it doesn't necessarily mean inflation will happen because there's also money leaving the system.

The other aspect of this is that the power companies don't accept fake buttcoin dollars, they accept actual money. so real money is drained out of the system and (to the extent that tether et al are merely replacing the lost money), it's being replaced with fake dollars that aren't backed by anything. of course this is all perfectly fine and can continue forever, nothing is going to go wrong with this system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Strong Sauce posted:

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe blockchains actually aren't very good