Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

shades of eternity posted:

Changing the subject.

Are any of the star wars languages actually learnable?

I'm watching Ewoks (because disney plus) and trying to figure if they are pulling it out of their rear end.

you mean you're not fluent in wookie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
what's the opposite of yup yup? :p

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

what's the opposite of yup yup? :p

Echuuta

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

TFA was a good film and TLJ was a great one, unfortunately ROS was so apocalyptically bad that it retroactively soured the previous two movies. Kind of like how I was interested in playing the recent Mass Effect remaster, but couldn’t bring myself to since I knew where it all ended up. Disney we’re incredibly lucky they had The Mandalorian going at the same time or else Star Wars would be effectively dead now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ROS is an entire trilogy crammed into one movie, making everything about it stupid.

The whole thing has to take place in like six hours or something! How?!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the concepts of the the "first order" (had to google this concept since i had forgotten it entirely by doing "sequel movies new empire" search query) snoke, etc have never once entered my mind when thinking about star wars and i think about star wars a LOT. everything in those movies was completely forgettable lmfao. snoke. lol. just lol at this character. insanely stupid. yes hello im the new big baddy SNOKE!! lol. who cares. and then it died in like 2 seconds or something, i dont remember.

and then luke was like "well, time to die or w/e, peace" and just leaves or something. just beyond cursed. remember those idiots who got the tattoos of the space furbies or whatever on their calves. LOL. and remember when ppl were LOLLing forever onlkine about how epic it was luke drank the blue slime? Bahahaha, star wars has done it again you beautiful bastards. gas

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
lol when they did the epic HOTH scene with the snowspeeder but guess what?? a twist!! its SALT! salt from pubby tears methinks. my pubby tears that is. remember when we were supposed to care about the character in these movies but ... ? i dont even know their names. remmber ppl were like WOW OMG EPIC about the Buff Woman Storm Trooper Boss who then did nothing? man so much dumb poo poo to remember when reaching into the garbage files of my mind.

listen up. just give dave filoni the franchise & also make heir to empire saga. also DARTH BANE. things to NOT do are the orgy space bugs.

i think the most recent book of boba ep had more to like in it that the entire sequel trilogy. actually im sure of it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The result of the buff female storm trooper were the armorer female Mandalorian and the buff female tsuken warrior so I guess we are going to see lots of masked buff women in star wars now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think the black guy storm trooper defector was the coolest part of the movies and at first i remember sitting there drinking my pepsi or w/e in the theatre thinking hey this pretty sick, this will be a cool story about this affable dude. ive always wondered what a workaday dude in the empire was like and his heroes journey to revengeancing the empire for making him do all kids of bad poo poo and he can make cool friends and maybe become a jedi or something or maybe not? maybe just go kyle katarn style that would be badass. but then he got like 5 lines and was completely forsaken in the movies. what the hell?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The result of the buff female storm trooper were the armorer female Mandalorian and the buff female tsuken warrior so I guess we are going to see lots of masked buff women in star wars now

ok im not sure u can trace their lineage to this character.... if u can i would like to see it.....

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Comrade Fakename posted:

TFA was a good film and TLJ was a great one, unfortunately ROS was so apocalyptically bad that it retroactively soured the previous two movies. Kind of like how I was interested in playing the recent Mass Effect remaster, but couldn’t bring myself to since I knew where it all ended up. Disney we’re incredibly lucky they had The Mandalorian going at the same time or else Star Wars would be effectively dead now.

if it makes you feel any better if you watch rots before the end of me3, me3 will feel like a masterpiece in comparison

what's the downside here

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Smythe posted:

i would like to see it.....

No

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The Last Jedi owns and made me fall in love with Star Wars again, but Rise of Skywalker annoyed me so much I almost gave up on the series, but I then saw Knives Out the next week and that cooled me off, so thank you Rian Johnson for saving Star Wars for me twice.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

site posted:

what's the downside here

theyre full of poo poo. cant believe this person just goes on the internet and lies. shameful

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Hee hee

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

What about skinny masked Keri Russell?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

What about skinny masked Keri Russell?

What did she do in the movie besides out one of the only three Hispanic men in the franchise as an ex-drug dealer?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darth Brooks posted:

If they never mention or touch on the sequels I will be happy.

They already mentioned fathiers so too bad for you

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

What did she do in the movie besides out one of the only three Hispanic men in the franchise as an ex-drug dealer?

She was Babu Frik's taxi driver?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Soon Dave feloni will make one mistake and I can’t wait for it

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

CelticPredator posted:

Soon Dave feloni will make one mistake and I can’t wait for it

Star Wars: Resistance already happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Filoni has made several mistakes. Personally the worst one for me was how Clone Wars really failed to develop any meaningful relationships for Ahsoka beyond Anakin and Obi Wan until they brought her back for Season 7. It made the Wrong Jedi episodes extremely predictable because literally the only other person who could have been responsible for the attacks just so happens to be a character who hasn't had a supporting role since her introduction in season 2.

I'm also not at all a fan of the Force Family episodes. Sam Witwer is a great Maul but I just hate the manifestations of the Force as an old wizard and his two anime children. Sam Witwer sounds like his testicles are in a vise grip.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah Filoni and Co have made plenty of mistakes over the years with Clone Wars (what the hell was that movie?), Rebels, Resistance, etc.

They just seem to have a better track record with live action Star Wars so far because they're not churning out 22 episodes a year and they're more experienced at it now... and also the Disney execs in charge of the theatrical movies poo poo the bed so hard in comparison

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Didn't they turn the green Jedi with the hijab into a literal terrorist? That was certainly a choice.

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, she also made it so that it was absolutely clear that he isn't gay. :v:

Everyone posted:

Though occasionally when they talk to each other, they're mostly talking to themselves - which is pretty much what was happening in both of the scenes you cited above. Kylo Ren was a person whose every loving relationship had become a source of pain and regret. He killed his own father, betrayed his uncle and sacrificed everything for Snoke, a guy he fully understands is just using him. He wants Rey to join him because that's the only way he sees himself getting any kind of good future. And he wants that future because that's the only way he can let go of a past that through his own actions has become a torment to him.

On some level by the time she says what she says, Rose loves Finn. So she wants to save him - even if only for a few more minutes before Ren and the First Order come to kill them all anyway.
I want to take a moment out of being flippant -- which is very very difficult for me, mind -- to acknowledge that these are good points that I hadn't considered in my wild incredulity towards TLJ.

Still, this then runs into what I've been recently calling the Doctor Strange Problem, where the dramatic confrontations between characters in a story don't actually end up having much to do with these characters' actual conflicts.

(The protagonist of this film's main narrative conflict is that he has to learn to be less selfish, right? Mr. Strange has to learn humility. The problem is that the other characters then blab to him about just about everything under the sun except for that one important thing. Kaecilius is imploring Strange, practically weeping on the floor, to help him in his quest to defeat death, a notion that has absolutely nothing to do with Strange's character arc so of course Strange refuses this, and like of course he does. What does he care about that stuff? Then Mordo at one point is disgusted, utterly furious, that Strange won't kill their enemies and thinks there are other ways to defeat them, which is also a total non-issue for Strange's overall development. So the thematic content of the film ends up feeling very hollow because everyone is acting like they're in a different story than everyone else, no one is actually challenging Strange about things he actually cares about or tempting him with things he actually wants, like the recovery of his hands or perhaps fame and prestige. It's as if the villains of the piece, who are ostensibly Strange's dark mirrors, think that they're in a different movie than the one they're actually in, talking to a different character than they're actually talking to.)

The reason that the Luke and Vader confrontation, and then the Luke and Emperor confrontation in the next film, both work and stand the test of time so well is because they are about Luke's actual motivations. They tempt Luke with things that he actually wants. They tease him for weaknesses that he is actually insecure about. When he loses to Vader in ESB, he's losing to his own insecurities. When he prevails against the two in RotJ, he prevails against himself.

That sort of coherency simply doesn't exist in TLJ. Of course, it didn't quite happen in TFA either, but TFA also isn't grabbing the audience by their shoulders and demanding that they move past the OT. The simple question is: why would we want to? If you're demanding a revolution of the genre, then the brand shiny new thing that you're offering had dang well better be actually better than what we originally had, and TLJ simply doesn't cut it in this regard. Because yeah, Kylo Ren might as well be simply mumbling to himself when he talks to Rey; what he should have done was to tell Rey that she could save her friends if she joined with him, but he tells her the opposite: if she joins with him, they're all loving dead! The only things he offers that she would actually want are a sense of belonging and importance, but everything else he wants is the opposite of what she wants so of course she rejects him, and this rejection tells us nothing about her because the offer had nothing to do with her in the first place.

The same thing happens with the grand epic Luke and Ren confrontation where, ostensibly, this should be about both characters confronting their past and overcoming their mistakes. Except that Luke only made his mistake because he was compelled by dark magic, and also Kylo Ren is only even bad because of this exact same nebulous dark side influence and no other reason so like...what the heck are they actually overcoming, here? "Sorry I tried to murder you in your sleep 'cuz The Force told me you'd be bad"? Nothing about Luke and Ben's relationship, about their past, about their future, changes regardless of who does what here because it was all compelled by vague Force nonsense in the first place instead of actual characterization; the backdrop for their relationship, for their antagonism here, was so ridiculous that you can't wring anything of note out of their actual showdown besides the fact that red salt is pretty.

It's all incredibly weird writing; the only thing it depicts is a villain who doesn't actually have anything of worth to say to the heroes which, yeah, I guess that certainly does deviate from the Star Wars standard, except in a way that shows that deviating from the Star Wars standard has us ending up with something worse and less effective.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 30, 2022

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Amy Sedaris becoming one of my favorite star wars actors wasn't something I saw coming.

*edit so I don't double post* I also really like the "15 year old who just got told he could drive his mom to the grocery store" body language after Peli tells him to start up the naboo fighter.

He's like a home schooled adult just finding out about the world, like that weird nerd Daria briefly dated in the late 90's cartoon "Daria". I hope Omega introduces him to Dejarik and he develops a gambling addiction that old Lando has to help him with.

Sekhmnet fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 30, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sekhmnet posted:

He's like a home schooled adult just finding out about the world, like that weird nerd Daria briefly dated in the late 90's cartoon "Daria".

"We are the Modal Nodes... but we're thinking of changing our name"

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Changing the subject.

Are any of the star wars languages actually learnable?

I'm watching Ewoks (because disney plus) and trying to figure if they are pulling it out of their rear end.

Nien Numb in ROTJ speaks Kikuyu and Kalenjin, which are related tribal languages from east Africa. I watched it when it was in tv in Kenya, and some of the guys could directly translate it.

And the Jawas language is a sped up soundalike of Zulu. I guess African languages sounded pretty exotic.

St_Ides fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 30, 2022

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
The mod gang would've been way cooler if they'd been introduced with Thundercat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Penitent posted:

The famous Jedi? They were morons, let's burn their dumb books!

I don't really care about the sequels, we might as well burn the whole thing and forget they ever existed, but the jedi being absolute morons is key to the series. They engineered their own downfall by being complacent, arrogant, and completely oblivious to the problems that were right in front of them. They didn't give a poo poo about anything other than maintaining "order", they supported slavery, they ran a weird sexless cult, they kidnapped babies and turned them into child soldiers. If Palpatine hadn't been there they'd have found some other way to gently caress up their entire society because all it took for them to lose their poo poo was a group of planets wanting to leave the republic for completely justifiable reasons. AJAB.

Luke should not take any lessons from the jedi other than "please be a nice person and maybe be measured in your use of the force".

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Ewok language, you say? Let me tell you about Grandma Vokda.

https://www.mtv.com/news/1708006/star-wars-return-jedi-ewok-language-secrets/

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was The Mandalorian developed with the virtual sets in mind or were they going to make it normally until one day ILM was like hey guys, didja maybe want to use this game-changing tech we made instead?

Sekhmnet posted:

Amy Sedaris becoming one of my favorite star wars actors wasn't something I saw coming.

If you had told me years ago that Amy Sedaris would end up being one of the best additions to Star Wars I would have said yes, obviously, she's a comic genius.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm just waiting for the next trilogy about The Newer Order

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The volume was based around some of the stuff that Jon Favreau was doing with the 3d capture for The Lion King, so I imagine it was part of the pre-production from the start.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Azhais posted:

I'm just waiting for the next trilogy about The Newer Order

Well, they were all situated in the unexplored third of the galaxy. Where there are apparently entire planets of Sith cultist and their shipyards.

Anything could come out of there.

Maybe even a decent loving movie, for a change.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lobok posted:

Was The Mandalorian developed with the virtual sets in mind or were they going to make it normally until one day ILM was like hey guys, didja maybe want to use this game-changing tech we made instead?
They were already using an early version of "the volume" in Rogue One, so I think ultimately it was just a matter of deciding to put enough money and effort into a "TV show" to justify the use of it

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15191298/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-gareth-edwards-john-knoll-interview-visual-effects

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the Volume is actually a combination of a bunch of different tech that has just been combined this way for the first time. Like we already had the giant LED walls, virtual cameras connected to real ones that let you walk around a virtual set (recent films like Solo and the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons did this so the cameraman can actually see the full digital environment and shoot it like it's real life instead of needing build it all in post), the Unreal engine for building sets, etc. It was just a matter of figuring out how to combine them.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BrianWilly posted:

Didn't they turn the green Jedi with the hijab into a literal terrorist? That was certainly a choice.

Well, she also made it so that it was absolutely clear that he isn't gay. :v:

I want to take a moment out of being flippant -- which is very very difficult for me, mind -- to acknowledge that these are good points that I hadn't considered in my wild incredulity towards TLJ.

Still, this then runs into what I've been recently calling the Doctor Strange Problem, where the dramatic confrontations between characters in a story don't actually end up having much to do with these characters' actual conflicts.

(The protagonist of this film's main narrative conflict is that he has to learn to be less selfish, right? Mr. Strange has to learn humility. The problem is that the other characters then blab to him about just about everything under the sun except for that one important thing. Kaecilius is imploring Strange, practically weeping on the floor, to help him in his quest to defeat death, a notion that has absolutely nothing to do with Strange's character arc so of course Strange refuses this, and like of course he does. What does he care about that stuff? Then Mordo at one point is disgusted, utterly furious, that Strange won't kill their enemies and thinks there are other ways to defeat them, which is also a total non-issue for Strange's overall development. So the thematic content of the film ends up feeling very hollow because everyone is acting like they're in a different story than everyone else, no one is actually challenging Strange about things he actually cares about or tempting him with things he actually wants, like the recovery of his hands or perhaps fame and prestige. It's as if the villains of the piece, who are ostensibly Strange's dark mirrors, think that they're in a different movie than the one they're actually in, talking to a different character than they're actually talking to.)

The reason that the Luke and Vader confrontation, and then the Luke and Emperor confrontation in the next film, both work and stand the test of time so well is because they are about Luke's actual motivations. They tempt Luke with things that he actually wants. They tease him for weaknesses that he is actually insecure about. When he loses to Vader in ESB, he's losing to his own insecurities. When he prevails against the two in RotJ, he prevails against himself.

That sort of coherency simply doesn't exist in TLJ. Of course, it didn't quite happen in TFA either, but TFA also isn't grabbing the audience by their shoulders and demanding that they move past the OT. The simple question is: why would we want to? If you're demanding a revolution of the genre, then the brand shiny new thing that you're offering had dang well better be actually better than what we originally had, and TLJ simply doesn't cut it in this regard. Because yeah, Kylo Ren might as well be simply mumbling to himself when he talks to Rey; what he should have done was to tell Rey that she could save her friends if she joined with him, but he tells her the opposite: if she joins with him, they're all loving dead! The only things he offers that she would actually want are a sense of belonging and importance, but everything else he wants is the opposite of what she wants so of course she rejects him, and this rejection tells us nothing about her because the offer had nothing to do with her in the first place.

The same thing happens with the grand epic Luke and Ren confrontation where, ostensibly, this should be about both characters confronting their past and overcoming their mistakes. Except that Luke only made his mistake because he was compelled by dark magic, and also Kylo Ren is only even bad because of this exact same nebulous dark side influence and no other reason so like...what the heck are they actually overcoming, here? "Sorry I tried to murder you in your sleep 'cuz The Force told me you'd be bad"? Nothing about Luke and Ben's relationship, about their past, about their future, changes regardless of who does what here because it was all compelled by vague Force nonsense in the first place instead of actual characterization; the backdrop for their relationship, for their antagonism here, was so ridiculous that you can't wring anything of note out of their actual showdown besides the fact that red salt is pretty.

It's all incredibly weird writing; the only thing it depicts is a villain who doesn't actually have anything of worth to say to the heroes which, yeah, I guess that certainly does deviate from the Star Wars standard, except in a way that shows that deviating from the Star Wars standard has us ending up with something worse and less effective.

I'll agree with you mostly about Luke/Kylo. The biggest problem with them is that except for that one scene the entirety of their relationship took place off-screen. We know what each says about the other. This would have been a good opening for Rey to act as a kind of potential mediator, but she had to go around back and move some rocks with the Force.

As far as Rey and Kylo are concerned the most interesting thing about them is the way that they're basically talking past each other. There's a little of No Exit in the way that each of them wants something from the other that that other is unwilling or unable to provide. Rey wants a real family to make up for her abandonment issues. She wants to bring Ben/Kylo back to the Light Side and then back to Luke and Leia who will then accept/adopt her into their family. Kylo wants Rey to be Veronica to his J.D. in the Star Wars: Heathers movie he's making in his mind.

Honestly, the bit where Kylo kills Snoke and is rejected by Rey after their fighting with Snoke's bodyguards was great. It promised that we were going to see a different kind of villain. Kylo isn't a manipulator like Snoke, Palpatine or Vader. He doesn't really hunger for power or dominance. He doesn't care about ruling others, not really. He just craves validation for his choices and he wants the pain and regret to stop. A better opening to TRoS would have been Kylo listening to the Emperor nodding as needed and then when he got aboard one of the Dick-ISD, he uses to destroy Palpatine and his whole planet. And then starts going after Corellia. Tatooine, Endor, destroying them to try to cauterize his past. The Emperor as Mass Shooter.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
“Kylo ren” lol. Just lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Should they though? The actors aren't going to be around forever and keeping the focus entirely on the same handful of effectively immortal characters is a great way to get stagnation (just look at the old EU for instance, or comic books in general)

There are better ways to send them off. Perhaps Luke and Rey meet when they're pulled into some sort of strange Nexus and have to fight Darth McDowell.