Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/SilingWu/status/1484863852902813703

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Never fails that somebody has to trot out the "Che was racist" canard whenever he's so much as mentioned. Gusanos abound

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Well I mean, he was a white man born before 1990's. How could he not be?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fish of hemp posted:

Well I mean, he was a white man born before 1990's. How could he not be?

that troll meme from a decade ago with increasingly swarthy nationalists declaring their white bloodlines

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

i say swears online posted:

reading on henry lane wilson's wiki page and i came across this quirk:

was there some sort of reorganization of the state department going on at this time?

Any book recommendations for the mexican revolution?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

large oblate cat posted:

Any book recommendations for the mexican revolution?

Frank McLynn's Villa and Zapata: A History of the Mexican Revolution

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i was going over mayor la guardia's wiki when i came across the time he handed a $100,000 check to fascist italy to support the invasion of ethiopia. the citations led to a couple absolutely fascinating articles

https://web.archive.org/web/20210612110554/https://lucid.substack.com/p/when-harlem-and-little-italy-clashed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/08/03/when-fascist-aggression-ethiopia-sparked-movement-black-solidarity/

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/NostalgicVG/status/1485318161524264961

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

gross

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

gradenko_2000 posted:

excerpted from "Islands of Destiny: The Solomons Campaign and the Eclipse of the Rising Sun", by John Prados

(off-hand, I'd consider this book a much better account of the Solomons campaign than James Hornfischer's "Neptune's Inferno", which was the one that usually gets tossed around in recommendations)

I'm almost done this book and it's pretty good. A little bit too fun. I have already read Neptune's Inferno. Also Tales of the South Pacific by Michener. You got any other Solomons Campaign book recommendations?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm almost done this book and it's pretty good. A little bit too fun. I have already read Neptune's Inferno. Also Tales of the South Pacific by Michener. You got any other Solomons Campaign book recommendations?

John B Lundstrom's "The First South Pacific Campaign"

his "The First Team" is also reportedly very good, though not specific to the Solomons

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
the OP says this thread is for 1815 onwards but I figure my question about the 1770’s probably fits in better here than the pre-modern thread

I’d heard somewhere that the real reason why the American revolution happened was that the colonies kept wanting to break treaties with the natives and keep invading them, and the Brits said no don’t do that we have treaties with them, and the colonists decided to break with the Brits over this, and that everything we read in textbooks about the revolution is a fairytale

Does anyone have some reading or sources on this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I haven't read it but Native Americans in the American Revolution: How the War Divided, Devastated, and Transformed the Early American Indian World by Ethan A. Schmidt looks like it's a good one volume treatment.

if you're willing to wait a week i've been assigned American Leviathan: Empire, Nation, and Revolutionary Frontier by Patrick Griffin for Wednesday's class so I can report back on that when I've given a skim through.

British Indian policy was a factor in the outbreak of the revolution but it wasn't the factor. New England by this time had already largely either eradicated, placed on early forms of reservations, or driven Native tribes in the region to Ohio so even if they went beyond the 1763 Proclamation line there wasn't anyone there to care about it. The mid-Atlantic and Southern colonies were more upset about it because it limited expansion into regions they had already been exterminating Natives and settling into. However the Proclamation Line was never meant to be a permanent boundary but rather a way to regulate Native land sales through British colonial government and limit conflicts between whites and natives by slowing and organizing sales rather than the free for all it had been for white settlers. The British basically realized land hungry Americans were instigating the various Indian rebellions and sought to stop getting their trading forts wrecked rather than out of a sympathy for native peoples. 2 years before the revolution for example, the British governor of Virginia, Lord Dunmore launched a campaign to burn and destroy the Shawnee and Mingo tribes that had attacked Virginian settlers moving into Kentucky. Of course this would greatly hinder Dunmore's attempts to recruit Natives as allies when the revolution did break out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
awesome, thanks for the lesson

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so it just occurred to me that despite what if kennedy hadnt been shot being the big sixties hypothetical what if nixon won seems like the more relevant one the 1960 election is a pretty easy one to flip and it also contained almost no discussion of what would turn out to be the big issues of the decade

like we just assume it would be bad because nixon is bad but nixon was an opportunist above all else and in the wake of eisenhowers dont trust the defense industry and integration good i cant really visualize him going whole hog war and racism rule when it was that far off from his existing popular brand

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It definitely changes the timetable for Civil Rights and thus the collapse of the Democratic coalition and associated migration of conservative Dems over to the GOP, possibly into the 70s. Those forces though we're gonna tear the party apart regardless at some point, so it's probably more a question of timing than anything else.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
I find it hard to reason about what Nixon would have done about Cuba, a crisis that I think would have come up during his hypothetical presidency. Nixon was even more of an anti-Communist than JFK, so he may not have flinched at sending American air support into the Bay of Pigs. Maybe Nixon would have just invaded openly with U.S. Marines instead of playing plausible deniability games with Cuban exiles. But it's also not hard to imagine that Nixon would have resisted the influence of the DoD, CIA types urging him to crush Castro and give all the land back to the inherited wealth east coast elite types that he resented so profoundly. But it's a counterfactual so you have to make some guesses -- I think Nixon's hatred of communists would prevail, and he could find a way to attack the Cuban Revolution such that he could believe that he had done it himself and he wasn't just dancing to Allen Dulles' tune.

One way or another, I think a Cuban Missile Crisis (-style event, not necessarily in Cuba, which could be under American military occupation in this timeline) takes place if anything even sooner under Nixon, and now the question is whether he can ignore the war hawks (he wouldn't have had McNamara or RFK in his inner circle, but bloodthirsty loons like Curtis LeMay would still be in the mix), talk it out with Khrushchev and avoid Armageddon. Again, really hard to say. The drunk, paranoid Nixon of 1974 might have ended the world. But the calculating Nixon who triangulated Mao against the Soviets might have been able to do it. I also wonder whether Henry Kissinger would have been Nixon's NSA or secretary of state that early. Maybe Kissinger has written about what he would have advised in those situations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

so it just occurred to me that despite what if kennedy hadnt been shot being the big sixties hypothetical what if nixon won seems like the more relevant one the 1960 election is a pretty easy one to flip and it also contained almost no discussion of what would turn out to be the big issues of the decade

like we just assume it would be bad because nixon is bad but nixon was an opportunist above all else and in the wake of eisenhowers dont trust the defense industry and integration good i cant really visualize him going whole hog war and racism rule when it was that far off from his existing popular brand

In 1960 Nixon was a diehard cold warrior who had advocated nuking the Vietnamese in 1954 along with a cabal of French-supporting extremists in the Eisenhower administration:

quote:

​As soon as he arrived in Washington, Radford invited him to his house for dinner. Among those there were John Foster Dulles, his brother CIA director Allen Dulles, and Vice-President Richard Nixon. These men would lobby to get the United States military involved in the war. Richard Nixon met with a group of editors from the American Newspaper Association and told them, in what amounted to a trial balloon for war, that "if this government cannot avoid it, the administration must face up to the situation and dispatch forces." In a National Security Council meeting he asked whether it might be wise to use atomic bombs to save Dien Bien Phu. He was told it would take three to wipe out the Viet Minh forces surrounding the French position, but President Eisenhower said he doubted they could actually win a war there after using them.
By "existing popular brand" are you talking about Eisenhower's popular brand? Because Nixon really distanced himself from Eisenhower in the 1960 election. Kennedy ran on the idea that the Eisenhower administration was weak on defense, Nixon being part of that.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t know that we get to a missile crisis with Nixon because my gut tells me we would have used the Bay of Pigs as cover for a large scale invasion and there would be open hostilities before the soviets could start moving the missiles in

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

By "existing popular brand" are you talking about Eisenhower's popular brand? Because Nixon really distanced himself from Eisenhower in the 1960 election. Kennedy ran on the idea that the Eisenhower administration was weak on defense, Nixon being part of that.

this phrasing kind of makes nixon sound like the al gore of the fifties which is an amusing mental image

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don’t know that we get to a missile crisis with Nixon because my gut tells me we would have used the Bay of Pigs as cover for a large scale invasion and there would be open hostilities before the soviets could start moving the missiles in

I agree. My guess is that America succeeds in invading Cuba and defeating the conventional Cuban forces, but then the occupying US army would be mired for years in a counterinsurgency against Castro-led guerrillas (maybe for this reason America doesn’t get as heavily involved in Vietnam!). The Soviets might deploy missiles elsewhere in the world in order to pressure the Americans to end their occupation of Cuba and as a response to the American missile bases in Turkey (a provocation that the Soviets may have wanted to answer independently of defending Cuba). But maybe without a real existing communist Cuban state, the Soviets don’t feel justified in deploying nuclear weapons and so the crisis never escalates to the level it did historically.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What did NATO think the USSR's objective was if the balloon ever went up in Europe? "Unify" Germany? Occupy France? Drive all the way to Lisbon?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

seven days to the river rhine is the major strategic plan that's turned up post-fall of the wall iirc

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

does a quagmire in cuba preclude a quagmire in vietnam its hard to imagine us doing them both at the same time

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

does a quagmire in cuba preclude a quagmire in vietnam its hard to imagine us doing them both at the same time

Do you remember the 2000's?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

why did eisenhower do more to support the french and south vietnam than batista? or am i incorrect in that assumption?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Do you remember the 2000's?

there wasnt anyone to try and stop us in the 2000s and just the one quagmire was enough to take a giant poo poo all over our reputation with all the domestic stuff that was going on

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

why did eisenhower do more to support the french and south vietnam than batista? or am i incorrect in that assumption?

If I recall correctly (I might not, been a while since I’ve read about it) they just kind of slept on Cuba and put a lot of faith in Batista’s insistence he had it all under control and it was kind of a slow burning affair until nearly the end

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

another reason im left wondering about what hypothetical sixties president nixon would do is that we just take it for granted he was racist because of the southern strategy but that was like a strategy built around the assumption it was impossible to get black votes because the democrats passed the civil rights act

that wasnt some preordained thing that was always going to happen the george wallace wing of the democrat party was considerably more racist than any republican and its a hell of an assumption that sixties president nixon would try to outracist wallace when the material conditions of the civil rights movement and the damage it was doing to the countrys international reputation still existed

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Keep in mind that being racist like the US was helping them lose the hearts and minds game during the Cold War. Even moderates in african newspapers were writing about the cruelty of US racism and pan africanism was a real thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

seven days to the river rhine is the major strategic plan that's turned up post-fall of the wall iirc

interesting that this was leaked by Radek Sikorski

they didn't think Castro was a communist until it was way too late. as far as they were concerned the fight against Batista was internecine, not ideological.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/OldTechAdverts/status/1487858391108227077?cxt=HHwWisC44dvU96UpAAAA

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 06:52 on Jan 31, 2022

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

gradenko_2000 posted:

they didn't think Castro was a communist until it was way too late. as far as they were concerned the fight against Batista was internecine, not ideological.

It's this. There were people in the State Dept. and the CIA who thought Fidel would be easier to work with. Some of Batista's/BRAC's crackdowns on July 26 in the cities were egregious enough that the US Ambassador laid a wreath at the spot where Frank Pais was killed. Basically the military, CIA, and State Dept. had some factions backing Batista, some backing Castro, and others trying to get one of the generals in Batista's army to take over. America really took the gloves off with the rest of Latin America afterwards through Operation Condor, Alliance for Progress, USAID, etc. so as not to have another Cuba.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What I'm getting from this is that the US needs to be even more aggressive, to prevent the world from getting to the brink of nuclear war again. Grab history by the horns and force it into compliance. Don't wait for Russia to make a move, invade Ukraine yourself.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Alright, calm down Allen Dulles.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What did NATO think the USSR's objective was if the balloon ever went up in Europe? "Unify" Germany? Occupy France? Drive all the way to Lisbon?

"NATO" here is pretty broad and ranged from 'defend themselves and avoid war in Russia' to 'murder babies and destroy freedom for ever'.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why does this thread only have two bars where else can readers gain enthralling content like random minimum context calvin coolidge quotes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

why does this thread only have two bars where else can readers gain enthralling content like random minimum context calvin coolidge quotes

hrmmmmmm, and how did his tenure as president go

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

hrmmmmmm, and how did his tenure as president go

the party split and all the conservatives began moving to the republicans

e: or did you mean coolidge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008