Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
The blue is, you pick up one and get the communication and can then craft from there. I just completely didn’t check the crafting list because I also never thought to scan the purple, which has to be scanned to craft.

Then I just never found the orange, apparently, until my post game achievement hunt, if there was a second orange I previously used I never scanned it so it didn’t exist in the crafting list. I never thought to scan any of the tablets, and the only one you are for sure without requiring scanning is blue.
colors and crafting spoilers but nothing major

It’s entirely possible I started playing this run back before the pickup = taught applied to the others. It has been awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Funnily enough the biggest barrier I had in this game was the hydraulic fluid. After about ten hours exploring every corner of the map I finally googled it and felt a strong urge to uninstall the game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's yer own drat fault, mate. Peak schadenfreude over here!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I blame literally everyone except myself.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Picked up BZ already because it was conveniently on sale, and I didn't feel like waiting after getting 100%. First 4 hour impressions:

I like the seatruck so far. I'm likely going to find a mod to expand the cargo capacity + crafting from those because I don't like inventory management, but it seems to be a pretty nifty thing. I do enjoy being able to separate modules from it, honestly this is pretty cool and i'm okay with it over the seamoth + cyclops so far.

The inflatable rescue tool is SO MUCH BETTER HOLY poo poo. Not only does it rocket you up compared to subnautica, you can use its charge for a 15s air burst? Absolutely has come in handy.

The game seems to have better designed biomes. They're more fun to swim around and explore so far. They also give you a lot of oxygen plants in some areas, making it easy to explore down to ~250m surrounding that first SOS signal, which was a pretty fun area to explore early on, just after getting a sea glider and that's about it.

Mineral scanner tool is so loving good!

I'm gonna be kicking myself because so far I've built the seatruck, fabricator & storage module.. most of my tools, have found that pirate lady's base but can't seem to find a handheld fabricator yet.

edit: welp. found the habitat builder, finished prawn suit research.. did a lot of deep exploring, but then I suddenly entered noclip mode for some unknown reason and my game went unresponsive after not allowing me to save. need to remember to save more often, but that was a totally weird bug and it didn't allow me to save, so I lost about an hour

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 30, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I hate the deep rumbling you get when piloting the Seatruck.

How many modules can you have on that thing?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I hate the deep rumbling you get when piloting the Seatruck.

How many modules can you have on that thing?

As many as you want, I think. The HUD will only display 5 cars, though.

I would run fabricator, 3x storage, and the prawn docking module, but I was also using he MoreIngots mod (ingots/stacks made from any raw material, and can be converted back to their raw materials), so storage wasn’t particularly an issue.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 30, 2022

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

To followup on my 'suddenly no-clip mode' bug-- retraced my steps this morning, and it turns out before I entered noclip, a TON of textures just flat out didn't load in one of the underwater biomes. But huzzah! we're ready to build a proper base now

edit:

onesixtwo posted:

I'm gonna be kicking myself because so far I've built the seatruck, fabricator & storage module.. most of my tools, have found that pirate lady's base but can't seem to find a handheld fabricator yet.

hahaha, yep sure am! Just learned it from the underwater area. As I go to do the plot point, i see one sitting RIGHT IN THE OPEN next to one of the delta base buildings sure enough i just ran right past it hours ago.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 30, 2022

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Just tried Subnautica on VR. Like others have said, it absolutely changes your perception of how deep the water is. Even the shallows feel huge and going deep tickles that monkey part of your brain that wants to keep you from dying. Unfortunately it also tickles that part of my brain that says 'I'm poisoned so I better barf". VR motion sickness can be defeated or reduced with repeated exposure so I'll give that a try.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Below Zero 12 hours in (oh god has it seriously been 12 hours already?) update:

Feeling the smaller world feedback, in the sense that I am stumbling into waypoints given by the story real frequently. There definitely isn't meant to be any mystery discovery going on, it's clear they had a set linear path and you don't need to explore to find breadcrumbs, they just end up being ontop of one another. I know in Subnautica you'd get beacons, but this is fetch quest territory with a new one given every time you complete the last. It also seems to overlap multiple objectives very close to another. When I went arrived at and finished my initial check at delta base, immediately points me in direction to find the sunken ship containing the research parts for the upcoming fetch quest -> pirate lady base where you get the fetch quest -> oh hey here's the crystal cave!

Entirely possible it's just been that long since I was receiving distress calls in Subnautica so I am forgetting their frequency, but instead of "i need to prepare for the journey," vibe everytime, it's more "cool 500m away lets just go now" since the game taught me 200m down, outside of the drop pod: nothing is dangerous or going to kill me unless I just gently caress up and lose track of air. Subnautica's emptiness made any venture to the sea floor or jellyfish caves+ feel like it was just too far to be comfortable without first setting up a forward staging base. I used an air pump for ~10 minutes before noticing enough oxygen plants at 250m to swim endlessly without the dive mask.

Air is almost limitless right away in any story relevant / resource rich farming spot, and the game so far hasn't shown me more than two entrances to 700+ depth, after some caving with tons of air pitstops literally lighting the way. At least the oxygen plants stop around that depth to give it some sense of danger, but I already found the modules to give my truck 1km depth so.. back to no danger of running out of air, ever?

At the same time, the game does a good job at making the biomes seem bigger than they are still because there's so many opportunities to refill your air in the depths, keeping you swimming around the cave network. Exploring ~400m down with the 90s tank without ANY fear for air wasn't at all what I expected after playing Subnautica first, so it made the opening hours more exciting to explore knowing I could go far down. The water definitely feels more like your home instead of an outright hostile enemy in BZ. You're doing more cave diving, less giant mostly empty open room exploring. It also feels more claustrophobic right out the gate, which really adds to the feeling that everything is so much smaller.

Have my truck ready for 1k depth, prawn 750 so I know where i'm going next dying to that levithan in the crystal caves who scared the absolute living hell out of me earlier this morning! I evaded but YIKES HE MAD.

Took me forever to find a Spiral Plant. I feel like this is yet another early area spawn I completely missed like the habitat builder, but now that I have it I'm feeling pretty unstoppable.

Oh, creature spoiler Sea monkeys.. BRING me treats now?! :blush: One just showed up with a Magnicite at random! I still haven't found one of those myself, so they're doing much better at Scanner room upgrades than I am.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 31, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Regarding the creature spoiler: It's more likely to happen when you have a recipe pinned

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Manager Hoyden posted:

Regarding the creature spoiler: It's more likely to happen when you have a recipe pinned

ooh, thank you. I'll keep that pinned for awhile I think..

Just discovered a hatched hostile creature is friendly to you. I sense gimmicks in my future plans.

I'm bad at base design! but learned I can "hide" a nuclear reactor like this and now I have guard dogs.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I can assure you.
A hatched Crabsquid is NOT friendly to you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Huh, I expected there to be more to Koppa Mining Site. Guess I can tear down most of this base I built.

Further location spoilers for that same place; the secondary entrance that a Seatruck without modules can enter seems pretty pointless. Pain in the rear end to navigate and then you have nothing really to show for it because a base Seatruck has nothing.

Much easier just to park it outside the door and build a base inside.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

May contain spoilers for those who havent finished BZ yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-GPmncrZiA

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

OgNar posted:

I can assure you.
A hatched Crabsquid is NOT friendly to you.

I believe they don't attack you, but also there's not friend-or-foe to an area of effect EMP? So they will short your your base and accidentally suffocate you.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Lunar Suite posted:

I believe they don't attack you, but also there's not friend-or-foe to an area of effect EMP? So they will short your your base and accidentally suffocate you.

Yeah this is it, if they get in a fight while chilling near where you released them, it's lights out and dead in the water for anything you have parked.

I released a ton of those glowing purple and blue rays from down deep, in the first game, around a base near a Lost River cave mouth, and they were forever in the way of everything. Constantly plowing into them with the 'moth.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The crabsquid look is semi-terrifying to me, but their sound is what puts me over the edge :cry:

It was pretty satisfying getting a crabsquid egg, hatching it in containment, then putting the grown fucker into my bioreactor, though :twisted:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Harsh but fair

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's what I would do.

gently caress those creepy gross bastards.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Just finished SBZ last night. I beat the first one last year and then immediately started the sequel but then kind of fell off on it. I picked it up again 2 weeks ago and played the ever living hell out of it.

Some thoughts: I'm sure I benefited from knowing where some of the important early stuff is on my second attempt and so I clocked in at 37 hours on that save- probably sixty hours total between two saves.
I also think that not playing it immediately after the first one helped because then I wasn't comparing the two as critically.
What tripped me up before was I thought that there was more to do with Marguerite and so I kept looking for stuff to give her more dialogue with me. Like I would expect her to have some things to say about Al-an or curing kharaa in the leviathan, but instead she's just chilling at her base reading on her PDA while her snow stalker pal gnaws on stuff. At the time another game I wanted to play came out and so I just sort of bailed on that save. From what people have said here it sounds like the writing team changed? It really felt like there was more stuff planned with her that just never was put into the game. The stuff with Al-an was pretty cool. The stuff on land was okay but also kind of frustrating because it took me way too long to notice that the hydraulic fluid blueprint for that bridge was on the loving bridge.
I never used a thumper. I was able to move around with a prawn suit and grappling hook and avoid the ice worm pretty easily.
The hover bike was kind of cool but I never used it once I figured out how to get my prawn suit on land.
I'm not sure but I feel like the ocean parts were a little smaller than in the original.
Overall I think it nailed the vibe of the original where you just sort of explore, but it didn't have that same thematic sense of urgency where you are a shipwrecked survivor trying to get home. The vibe was far more relaxed, even with Al-an in your head and trying to get him back out.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I bounced off BZ last week after about 15 hours in and just started another play through of the first game. Even going in knowing where most things are and how to handle all of the dangers, it still feels pretty, uh, danergous

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was weird to find Marguerite and then after you do the relevant quests, there's not actually any story that comes from it. You get some datalogs and a fancy food recipe, but it's totally unnecessary to beat the game so far as I know.

chainchompz posted:

I never used a thumper.

Yeah I don't think you actually can. There's a couple towers and datalogs talking about them, but there's nowhere to actually put a battery.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah I don't think you actually can. There's a couple towers and datalogs talking about them, but there's nowhere to actually put a battery.

It comes equipped with a battery, to swap out batteries you just press R while holding it like any other tool, right?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Subnautica reddit was getting excited about this job posting from Unknown Worlds.

"Subnautica Universe" could technically mean another Natural Selection, or a new spin-off series; I know they were saying after BZ they wanted to give Subnautica a bit of a rest.

But I know what I'm hoping for...

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Subnautica reddit was getting excited about this job posting from Unknown Worlds.

"Subnautica Universe" could technically mean another Natural Selection, or a new spin-off series; I know they were saying after BZ they wanted to give Subnautica a bit of a rest.

But I know what I'm hoping for...

Altera desk job simulator?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I've (in previous games) gotten a marker for the crab squid area.
But in the last few playthroughs I havent been able to find it or rather the pda that would put it there.
Anyone know where it is?
Could have sword it was either from one in the above Degassi or from the shroom caves.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

OgNar posted:

I've (in previous games) gotten a marker for the crab squid area.
But in the last few playthroughs I havent been able to find it or rather the pda that would put it there.
Anyone know where it is?
Could have sword it was either from one in the above Degassi or from the shroom caves.

Pretty sure it's the shroom caves, because that's where they decide they need to go deeper

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Will have to do some more discovering.
Thanks

Also neat trick someone may have mentioned before but I only just now accidentally discovered to get Stalker teeth.
I had a base near the vines and put a grav ball down to collect while I was away.
A Stalker of course picked it up and ran off with it, all the while it was picking up the bits of metal they play with.
And there was a crowd of Stalkers following dropping teeth like crazy.
Came back to find this mess of Stalkers and snagged like 15 teeth in a few minutes.
Also lots of Titanium.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Hahaha that's brilliant, I never made a grav ball in the first game because I'm a fool and don't like awesome experiences, apparently~

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

Hahaha that's brilliant, I never made a grav ball in the first game because I'm a fool and don't like awesome experiences, apparently~

How did you reliably and easily get fish without the grav ball?! :psyduck:

I thought the manual way was a pain. Then I made a grav ball and wow, was that a game changer.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought the manual way was a pain. Then I made a grav ball and wow, was that a game changer.

I grabbed a few, then stuffed them into an aquarium and had a mod where they’ll breed there. Before that, it was just a seaglide trip through the shallows to grab peepers (once I wasn’t using bladderfish anymore) and grab as many as I could carry before salting them.

I’ve not touched a grav ball since my very first play though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whenever I needed fish, before setting up an aquarium, I would get on my Seaglide and chase them down while belting out the melody to Ride of the Valkyries

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Opposite of counter strike rules. You swim faster with your knife put away.

Also as a guy who obsessively brings a grav trap around just in case, I don't really blame people for not using it more. By the time you unlock it and have enough spare batteries to make a seeming novelty item, you usually don't have any reason to think about using it except janky edge cases like "Maybe there are stalker teeth fallen through the geometry the grav trap can collect?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

Opposite of counter strike rules. You swim faster with your knife put away.

Also as a guy who obsessively brings a grav trap around just in case, I don't really blame people for not using it more. By the time you unlock it and have enough spare batteries to make a seeming novelty item, you usually don't have any reason to think about using it except janky edge cases like "Maybe there are stalker teeth fallen through the geometry the grav trap can collect?"

Hold the gently caress up.... The grav trap catches teeth?!

:vince:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah, wow I never made a grav trap and spent forever collecting all the needed teeth.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Whenever I needed fish, before setting up an aquarium, I would get on my Seaglide and chase them down while belting out the melody to Ride of the Valkyries

also i built more than one 4+ story vanity aquarium and powered all of my poo poo by burning fish (and thermal, as i got deeper)

i've never built the nuclear reactor in the base game, and i've built precisely one which i never actually needed for anything in BZ

but yeah, grav traps are Cool and Good, in a way that a lot of other deployables are actually not so everyone can be excused imo from thinking of them as extra poo poo to store

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I grabbed a few, then stuffed them into an aquarium and had a mod where they’ll breed there. Before that, it was just a seaglide trip through the shallows to grab peepers (once I wasn’t using bladderfish anymore) and grab as many as I could carry before salting them.

I’ve not touched a grav ball since my very first play though.

See, I had the grav ball WAY before I had the aquarium. Also I was playing on Switch, so no mods.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hold the gently caress up.... The grav trap catches teeth?!

:vince:
While I never tried it personally, I've seen people talking about it and that sort of moon logic would be right at home in Subnautica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It pulls in any loose objects sitting within range. It probably won't pull a tooth out of a stalker but if one has been dropped I bet will will pull it up off the bottom.