Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SlowBloke posted:

This weekend i went to multiple dealers to check the current awd landscape and came back a bit beaten up, every vehicle i checked was massive (enjaq, id4 and ioniq5) or was back ordered to hell (ev6). I will need to re evaluate options since my parking doesn’t fit land barges.

How far backorder is the EV6? And the ioniq5 is... big? Granted, I've never seen one but it looks small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It is not small

mexecan posted:

I saw my first Ioniq 5 at a BC Hyundai dealer yesterday. The flat grey is excellent and, as has been widely noted, the car is much larger in person. I had a moment of “if this car is for sale, I may end up buying it.” It was sold and awaiting pickup from its new owner.

Super impressed overall and I’ll likely put a deposit down when they reopen orders.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Just buy a hummer and plow everything else out of the way.

Doesn't China also have a whole bunch of relatively compact EVs?

Or buy a Tesla Model 3, it is a proper mid-size sedan that will fit easily in most parking spaces.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Ioniq 5 is deceptively big - it looks smallish in pictures because the wheels are enormous.

Polestar 2 is quite a bit longer than an ID4 which I think is the most compact of those options.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Indiana_Krom posted:

Just buy a hummer and plow everything else out of the way.

Doesn't China also have a whole bunch of relatively compact EVs?

Or buy a Tesla Model 3, it is a proper mid-size sedan that will fit easily in most parking spaces.

Model 3 is sorta wide if you have a tiny garage like me. Dunno what the OP's parameters are though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Charles posted:

Model 3 is sorta wide if you have a tiny garage like me. Dunno what the OP's parameters are though.

It's long too, nearly 4.7m. Everything except the EV6 is shorter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla app has charge stats now. You can set your own rate to see your driving costs, but not set your own alien currency. Of course.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ola posted:

Tesla app has charge stats now. You can set your own rate to see your driving costs, but not set your own alien currency. Of course.

Wut? I haven't seen this anywhere, and I updated the Tesla app a few days ago :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wibla posted:

Wut? I haven't seen this anywhere, and I updated the Tesla app a few days ago :v:

Saw it mentioned yesterday, I updated mine just now. Currency is probably tied to OS language btw.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I will try to get pics up of my Ioniq in the thread -- any ideas on where to host? Is tiny image still a thing?

I've had it for a week and I'm obsessed with it. It drives beautifully, I love the design, and it feels really luxury.

And to re-iterate: the Ioniq 5 is deceptively very big. It is an SUV body size, and its wheelbase is comparable to the Toyota RAV4. It's what I love about it, since I've driven big cars all my life.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

fawning deference posted:

I will try to get pics up of my Ioniq in the thread -- any ideas on where to host? Is tiny image still a thing?

I've had it for a week and I'm obsessed with it. It drives beautifully, I love the design, and it feels really luxury.

And to re-iterate: the Ioniq 5 is deceptively very big. It is an SUV body size, and its wheelbase is comparable to the Toyota RAV4. It's what I love about it, since I've driven big cars all my life.

Awesome! Extremely jealous (in a good way?)

Use imgur for hosting, they have share links etc.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Not comparable, way longer than a RAV4. Wheelbase is actually a fair bit longer than a Highlander (although it has minimal overhangs so overall length is roughly the same as a RAV4)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Please place a banana inside for context.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

This weekend i went to multiple dealers to check the current awd landscape and came back a bit beaten up, every vehicle i checked was massive (enjaq, id4 and ioniq5) or was back ordered to hell (ev6). I will need to re evaluate options since my parking doesn’t fit land barges.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Have you considered the Polestar 2

This, the Polestar 2 has AWD available and is the size of a normal sedan, and you can order 2021 models online right now. The main caveat is that they're not available at all geographic locations

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

OK, I have to figure out how to blur my license plate now but I will get pictures up...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SpaceCadetBob posted:

On this note, are tesla powerwalls lfp or nmc? Seems like if they are the latter it would be a non-starter to put something so much more dangerous in your house than competitor lfps.
I've wondered about getting a powerwall for the home. We have rooftop solar panels and in the spring and fall the electricity bill is almost zero, but having a powerwall or the non-Tesla equivalent would be even better and provide power for the house if we lose power in a storm.

I looked into the prices and oh boy they are expensive. The rooftop solar panels have paid for themselves but I don't know about a powerwall.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How far backorder is the EV6? And the ioniq5 is... big? Granted, I've never seen one but it looks small.

The kia dealer response to ev6 delivery times was a fat laugh when he called six to nine months normal for a Niro. I think it’s already in the nine to year+ range.

Edit: My sizes constraints are something that is b segment sized, my suzuki swift fits fine in my spot, my next park slot owner with a fiat 500x(or a renegade) has issues making fit without encroaching in mine(and those are tiny compared to a id4).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 30, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

These are from the day I got the car, but I can take more pictures upon request.

I'm probably one of like 50 people in the entire state to have one of these so I feel like a king on the road.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The lower cladding-ish stuff looks a lot darker than I’ve seen before and looks better too! I like it a lot. Are those the stock wheel choice? They’re excellent looking!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It might be the angle of the light during sundown making it look darker, I can take day-time pictures as well.

Those are the stock wheels! It's an AWD and it comes with Michelin all-season tires.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It might be the angle of the light during sundown making it look darker, I can take day-time pictures as well.

Those are the stock wheels! It's an AWD and it comes with Michelin all-season tires.

I was wondering if it might be the light, on the webpage pics they looked more silvery. Looks great though.

Are you going to get winter tires and a separate set of rims for swapping or put that off til next winter?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

These are from the day I got the car, but I can take more pictures upon request.

I'm probably one of like 50 people in the entire state to have one of these so I feel like a king on the road.

Looks awesome

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CannonFodder posted:

I looked into the prices and oh boy they are expensive. The rooftop solar panels have paid for themselves but I don't know about a powerwall.

Powerwall is really hard to justify financially unless your grid power is $California$. I had the same thought chain when I was looking at solar.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

priznat posted:

I was wondering if it might be the light, on the webpage pics they looked more silvery. Looks great though.

Are you going to get winter tires and a separate set of rims for swapping or put that off til next winter?

Yeah, it could be the light or my phone camera settings. It is more of a slate blue than those pictures but the blue is still beautiful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, it could be the light or my phone camera settings. It is more of a slate blue than those pictures but the blue is still beautiful.

The blue is what I’ve put the deposit down on too but might be a while because I was pretty late to do it. Definitely feel good about that choice (since there is no red or other bright colour :haw:)

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

priznat posted:

The blue is what I’ve put the deposit down on too but might be a while because I was pretty late to do it. Definitely feel good about that choice (since there is no red or other bright colour :haw:)

It was between the blue and the cyber gray for me. Shooting star matte is also really nice but they didn't have any. I think blue is best.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What size does this compare to exactly? Mazda CX-5?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
The blue looks great!

It looks like Utah is going to be getting some of these soon but the dealer is already putting 10k adm on them. I’m glad I’m in no hurry for a new vehicle.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

CannonFodder posted:

I've wondered about getting a powerwall for the home. We have rooftop solar panels and in the spring and fall the electricity bill is almost zero, but having a powerwall or the non-Tesla equivalent would be even better and provide power for the house if we lose power in a storm.

Im looking into this pretty closely atm and trying to decide between a grid connected battery or something completely off grid. Off grid allows for way cheaper setups from what I can tell. The flipside is that ongrid might offer incentives if the utility can communicate with your battery to discharge power at peak grid load. In the north east the big utility offers this and can supposedly net you $700-$1000 a year which goes a long way to pay back that battery cost over a few years.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Be aware that the 2020 NEC is particular about UL listing for lithium battery systems.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Looks awesome! It’s a great looking car and that blue looks sweet. Congrats!

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

This thing looks slick as hell! Does it have cooled seats?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
pet peeve, but I wish Hyundai didn’t insist on breaking up the design with those big honking H badges

at some angles it looks like the car’s wearing a big stick-on nose

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

LibCrusher posted:

This thing looks slick as hell! Does it have cooled seats?

Not sure about cooled seats but considering it has full climate control and heated mirrors, seats, and steering wheel, it very well may have that.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ok Comboomer posted:

pet peeve, but I wish Hyundai didn’t insist on breaking up the design with those big honking H badges

at some angles it looks like the car’s wearing a big stick-on nose

I like it, it's minimalist, and the steering wheel has no emblem on it, which is cool.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Only the top trim has the ventilated seats which is lame

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Charles posted:

Only the top trim has the ventilated seats which is lame

the N had better get all the QoL options (I say, as though I’m in the market for a $65k EV)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I agree that the swoopy Hyundai logo doesn't really go with the 8 bit design. Badge delete would look cool. (car still looks great though!)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Wibla posted:

Be aware that the 2020 NEC is particular about UL listing for lithium battery systems.

Anything specific? All components, all active components? Just the battery themselves? Guess Ill hop on nfpalink this evening and poke around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Anything specific? All components, all active components? Just the battery themselves? Guess Ill hop on nfpalink this evening and poke around.

I don't recall the specifics (phone posting), but as I recall you can pretty much forget about DIY lifepo4 packs going forward, which is pretty lame. Pre-pandemic, it was possible to put together a 280Ah 48V (13+kWh) pack for less than 3k.