Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

odiv posted:

Sadly they didn't ask about pricing, just speed and availability, which has been adequate.

Does it count as availability if it's not affordable to everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going to kind of close the loop on my own question -- apparently Bell has no problem with me maintaining three PPPoE logins on my service. HH3000 is authenticated, my old EdgeRouter is using a PPPoE login and has been assigned a public IP. and now my UDM-Pro is using another PPPoE login and has a different public IP so I can configure it at my leisure before I plug all my home stuff into it.

Pretty badass TBH. Theoretically I could just run two separate networks if I really wanted.

No speed problems on the UDM-Pro. I know PPPoE authentication to HH3K via UDM-Pro used to result in speed decreases for some folks. I'm paying for 1000/750 and I'm getting 950/770 over two or three successive speed tests which is easily within margin of what I'd expect. Pretty happy all around.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

Hey, long shot question and I'm asking here only because it's :canada: specific:

Anyone recommend a place for buying off-lease computers in Canada? Looking for something like a Lenovo all-in-one. I've got one for work (covid home office) and Mrs. Slidebite likes it.. and her 2500k might finally be dying (I think motherboard issues), so I'll be looking at a new one and a new monitor to replace her ancient VGA unit anyhow.

Otherwise, maybe a mini attached to the back of a monitor with a VESA mount, but I like the all-in-one idea.

Intel 6+ i5 would probably be ideal if we're looking for specifics.

A bit late, but memory express resells old mini/sff PCs for pretty cheap. (330$ for i5-6500t)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

The real move is to buy office equipment when things get rotated wherever you work

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Like buying a rental car, I know I didn’t take very good care of my work MBP so I politely declined the offer to sell me my machine when I got my hardware refresh lol

If by some chance we work together I hope no one in this thread bought it either :q:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

To be fair, theres no valid scenario in which someone should buy a mac

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
if you don't read the canspam thread fyi memory express is now a real estate developer and buying up a bunch of properties to rent out

codo27 posted:

lol the windows 11 defender has logged on :rolleyes:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

w00tmonger posted:

The real move is to buy office equipment when things get rotated wherever you work
Ironically, my office AIO lease is up in Feb and nobody has replied to my query about buying it out. Lenovo i5-8500 with a physical drive, swapping to an SSD and another 8GB would have made it a nice unit. The bigger the company, the harder it is for any decision to get made that's even slightly out of the ordinary.

So we just bought an Asus AIO. It's actually pretty nice.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Oh wow.

Asus and an AIO huh?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Displays-Desktops/All-in-One-PCs/Zen-AiO/Zen-AiO-24-A5401/

Ryzen 5-5500u, 16GB and a 512 nvme

Not much for bloat (although there was some) but easy enough to remove and seems pretty solid. Not a fan of the included wireless mouse/keyboard, but that was easily rectified.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Well, you've already bought it, so whatever. Hopefully it holds up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

The magic trackpad is vastly superior to using anything else. I stopped using mice they're so good.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Trackball is the only ethical non mouse input.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

infernal machines posted:

Well, you've already bought it, so whatever. Hopefully it holds up.
Hopefully. I haven't bought a prebuilt other than my surface pro or tablet in years. In my experience Asus is a mixed bag, but we'll see.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

shadow puppet of a posted:

Trackball is the only ethical non mouse input.

My orb pondering days are over. :smith:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mediaphage posted:

if you don't read the canspam thread fyi memory express is now a real estate developer and buying up a bunch of properties to rent out

I stopped reading the canspam thread when the mods didn't bother doing anything about the guy defending the catholic church in the context of residential schools

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I stopped reading the canspam thread when the mods didn't bother doing anything about the guy defending the catholic church in the context of residential schools

ok i don’t want to post about posting

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

I’m still so lost on who to buy from after NCIX imploded and I hated NCIX. :sigh:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

priznat posted:

I’m still so lost on who to buy from after NCIX imploded and I hated NCIX. :sigh:

i like canadaram

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

memory express

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

less than three posted:

memory express

that's what precipitated this whole discussion, they are buying up a bunch of real estate and renting it out, so gently caress them

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

less than three posted:

memory express

I have yet to buy from them but their website is pretty good. Seems like them and Canada Computers divvied up ncix store areas in the lower mainland.

I just checked and am amazed to see Atic is still going, wild. That place had customer service that made ncix look good.

Looking at building one of those alder lake systems and keep checking pcpartspicker for more matx z690 ddr4 motherboard options but not many!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

mediaphage posted:

that's what precipitated this whole discussion, they are buying up a bunch of real estate and renting it out, so gently caress them

Yet paradoxically they are the only ones not boosting video cards up above msrp. Every other computer store are bundle-loving shitters.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

mediaphage posted:

lol if you choose to fund and support extortionate canadian electronics retailers and pay more for no reason just because you don't like memory express diversifying their revenue streams allowing for actual competitive pricing and overall more stable business.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t support more companies buying up real estate no

if you want to feel good about rising rent prices so you can get a dumb assed gpu go ahead

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I would rent a basement apartment from ASrock in heartbeat.

But I wouldn't touch a glass wall new construction condo from Gigabyte with a Linux Tolvalds dick.

edit: Realtek i rented a place for like 12 years that was ultimately owned by some smalltime fabric store in Rexdale via a Reit. I should have been entitled so so much free offcut yardage if i ever felt like showing up at their doorstep.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 31, 2022

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I usually buy from Best Buy or Amazon because almost nowhere else gives me free shipping. :(

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

mediaphage posted:

i don’t support more companies buying up real estate no

if you want to feel good about rising rent prices so you can get a dumb assed gpu go ahead

How are you going to be able to afford the increased rent if you also buy the overpriced GPU?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Mine crypto?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Let pcpartpicker do the work for you. God NCIX's website was such unmitigated horse poo poo

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What was ncix’s ugly step brother website where everything was a dollar less but sold under a disclaimer that you can go gently caress yourself? I never bought anything from them but was fascinated by their business model.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

shadow puppet of a posted:

What was ncix’s ugly step brother website where everything was a dollar less but sold under a disclaimer that you can go gently caress yourself? I never bought anything from them but was fascinated by their business model.

atic? I never shopped there but I knew people who did and described the staff regularly getting into screaming matches with customers in the store and such.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That must be it. It was from around those waning Wild West days of computer retail where the common wisdom spoken online was to take a Chinese friend with you to Canada Computers so they’d not extra gently caress you over with re-wrapped defective product.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

I just checked and am amazed to see Atic is still going, wild. That place had customer service that made ncix look good.
Holy poo poo. I bought my very first Voodoo 1 card at Atic down on broadway in like 1996. I can't believe they're still around.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ages ago (like early 00s) my sister’s bf at the time asked me where he should take his laptop to get it looked at and I gave him a couple options in YVR, and then said “definitely do not take it to ATIC” and he misheard me and took it there. :doh:

They held onto it for 3 weeks, didn’t do anything, and when he went to go get it to take elsewhere someone else came in and got into a literal fistfight with an employee over a similar repair situation. He just grabbed the laptop and gtfo while this was happening.

Like, NCIX looked really good in comparison to atic in almost every way. Atic has to be some kind of organized crime money laundering operation or something. I don’t understand how it is still going.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's not "money laundering" for organized crime, it's diversifying the revenue stream :eng101:

I didn't have any problems with them, but there was certainly a bit of a shifty vibe.

Is that used computer/junk store still open on Canada Way just down the road from the Superstore? That was an amazing place in the mid 90s. You could get almost anything there from original pentium stuff (back when they weren't that old) all the way back to early 80s IBM junk. I think I even saw a bin of Amiga stuff at one time.

Going back to my post about refurbs, I ended up getting a new Asus Zen AIO for Mrs. Slidebite and I must say I am fairly impressed by it. It's aesthetically a nice looking piece of hardware and the picture quality is actually better than I expected based on the specs. Ended up with a Ryzen 5-5500U and 16GB. Didn't even come with much for bloatware. Worst offender was McAffe (really, who actually uses that?) and it uninstalled without a hitch along with a couple of Asus specific apps.

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/All-in-One-PCs/Zen-AiO/Zen-AiO-24-M5401/

I specifically wanted 16 GB in hopes that it would be 2x8 in dual channel, but of course it's a single stick :sigh: Oh well, easy enough to fix and not super expensive. She'll be running it for years so I don't mind her having 32GB.

The AIO is shockingly easy to take apart for user upgrade. As in, I was genuinely taken aback how easy it was. The back just snaps right off and there is immediate access to 2x PCIE m.2 slots and 1x 2.5" bays. Removing a small RF shield gives access to the Dimm slots. I was expecting it to be a real PITA to get at, but it's super easy.

Only issues I didn't like are the included Asus wireless keyboard/mouse are not great what I would like but that's obviously nothing to rectify.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

slidebite posted:

It's not "money laundering" for organized crime, it's diversifying the revenue stream :eng101:

I didn't have any problems with them, but there was certainly a bit of a shifty vibe.

Is that used computer/junk store still open on Canada Way just down the road from the Superstore? That was an amazing place in the mid 90s. You could get almost anything there from original pentium stuff (back when they weren't that old) all the way back to early 80s IBM junk. I think I even saw a bin of Amiga stuff at one time.

Going back to my post about refurbs, I ended up getting a new Asus Zen AIO for Mrs. Slidebite and I must say I am fairly impressed by it. It's aesthetically a nice looking piece of hardware and the picture quality is actually better than I expected based on the specs. Ended up with a Ryzen 5-5500U and 16GB. Didn't even come with much for bloatware. Worst offender was McAffe (really, who actually uses that?) and it uninstalled without a hitch along with a couple of Asus specific apps.

https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/All-in-One-PCs/Zen-AiO/Zen-AiO-24-M5401/

I specifically wanted 16 GB in hopes that it would be 2x8 in dual channel, but of course it's a single stick :sigh: Oh well, easy enough to fix and not super expensive. She'll be running it for years so I don't mind her having 32GB.

The AIO is shockingly easy to take apart for user upgrade. As in, I was genuinely taken aback how easy it was. The back just snaps right off and there is immediate access to 2x PCIE m.2 slots and 1x 2.5" bays. Removing a small RF shield gives access to the Dimm slots. I was expecting it to be a real PITA to get at, but it's super easy.

Only issues I didn't like are the included Asus wireless keyboard/mouse are not great what I would like but that's obviously nothing to rectify.

i'm pretty sure an AIO you can do maintenance on yourself without an ifixit toolkit, magnets and $20 in adhesives is illegal under that new CUSMA or USMCA or whatever it is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I didn't know that was a thing. Cool.

Added the RAM to it and it's now running in dual channel which gave it a 35% increase in 3DMark (demo). Actually pretty surprised at the difference it made. I knew it would be some, but it's very noticeable.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ATIC?! Holy smokes that's a blast from the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Where do you all get your Raspberry Pis from in Canada? Just "whoever has stock"?