Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
On the other hand if I was building an actual codpiece gun I'd probably put fake balls on it so it looked more like a dick even if it was magazine fed or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

On the other other hand, I had a coworker who looked just like that character and he was the coolest tio you wish you were related to so thinking about him having a crotch gun like that was/is hilarious.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think I'm one of the few people that saw Dusk Til Dawn and didn't know the vampire twist going in.

I'm also one of the few who checked out when it was revealed because I thought it was loving stupid. I was just expecting something else I guess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Marcade posted:

On the other other hand, I had a coworker who looked just like that character and he was the coolest tio you wish you were related to so thinking about him having a crotch gun like that was/is hilarious.

And on the artificial cock and balls hand it's Tom Savini, the GOAT gore effects man, and if he wants to wear a ridiculous crotch gun prop then I'm not going to be the one to tell him no.

I'm not even sure that FDTD is meant to make sense. It starts out as a straight hostage drama but takes a right turn into batshit insanity 40 minutes in and just keeps getting weirder from there.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Isn’t it the exact same prop that appears in the mariachi’s case in Desperado?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The revolving chambers are clearly there for show, the only functional part is the barrel, which is a single shot, unrifled tube with an improvised firing pin

It's a pipe gun

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BiggerBoat posted:

I think I'm one of the few people that saw Dusk Til Dawn and didn't know the vampire twist going in.

I'm also one of the few who checked out when it was revealed because I thought it was loving stupid. I was just expecting something else I guess.

It's not a twist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's not a twist.

Well, it was for me :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's not a twist.

:agreed:

That's like going "I didn't know Friday the 13th was a slasher film" because you missed all the marketing

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, it was for me :colbert:

Same. And kid me was pretty happy with it as I think I was getting bored (though I perked up a bit at Salma Hayek). I might be the only kid who had this and Terminator 2 unspoiled.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It might be a surprise to you, but it's not a twist. This would be like somebody watching Forrest Gump and going "Holy poo poo did you know about the huge twist in the middle where Forrest goes to Vietnam??"

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I feel like the kitsch and novelty of a "codpiece gun" is entirely captured by the kitsch and novelty of the codpiece gun prop.

And I feel like you can say that about all of RR's films. Lots of absurd ideas with absurd execution. If you're gonna have a codpiece gun it better look like a dick and balls. If you've got a badass rocket launcher in a guitar case you gotta shoot it like a badass:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tarantino described it as

quote:

No boredom whatsoever, it's just a balls-out action movie. And when you're reading the script, in one page it turns into the most intense vampire movie you've ever seen. And the characters are just as surprised as the audience that they're in a vampire movie at that point.

So I think we can say it was supposed to be a surprise.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's no twist in Empire Strikes Back, idiots, "Luke, I am your father" has been a meme for decades

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Tarantino described it as

So I think we can say it was supposed to be a surprise.

Where is that quote from?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

OK, OK...not a twist. Sorry.

I just saw a new Tarantino movie, remembered liking him, saw Harvey Keitel was in it and hadn't heard anything about it. Maybe I was napping on the promotion for it. Nothing on the box cover said "vampire" or maybe it did and I didn't notice it. The vampire poo poo came out of left field for me is all. Honestly not trying to stat any poo poo about it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Another petty little annoyance about From Dusk Till Dawn.

Why did Tom Savini's character, (the bloke with the dick-gun), turn into a rat-monster after he became a vampire and was then beheaded with a whip? I know there's lore of vampires being able to turn into bats/wolves etc. but I had never heard giant rat. And I know it is kinda consistent with the way the film itself even makes a point that none of the "canon" about vampires is real, only from movies etc. so these creatures have their own rules.

But this thread is about irrationally irritating movie moments. Although to be honest, the rat monster was a cool moment in a very silly very absurd action/gangster/vampire movie which, at it's heart, is about George Clooney strutting around being cool and handsome in equal degrees.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The twist for my friends and I was that we thought it was a vampire movie and got a hostage film to the point we thought we walked into the wrong theatre. Then it went mental and we had a great old time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Santanico pandemonium

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Where is that quote from?

some con panel about it, here's the excerpt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-zinrJPR0

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

To go with my Forrest Gump example it's like someone saying "Well it was just a normal drama about a young man in Alabama, then all of a sudden it switches genres into a war movie!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I understand how that fits with your example of Forest Gump, but it's still a very stupid comparison.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why did Tom Savini's character, (the bloke with the dick-gun)

You seriously forgot the name Sex Machine?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

BrigadierSensible posted:

Another petty little annoyance about From Dusk Till Dawn.

Why did Tom Savini's character, (the bloke with the dick-gun), turn into a rat-monster after he became a vampire and was then beheaded with a whip? I know there's lore of vampires being able to turn into bats/wolves etc. but I had never heard giant rat. And I know it is kinda consistent with the way the film itself even makes a point that none of the "canon" about vampires is real, only from movies etc. so these creatures have their own rules.

But this thread is about irrationally irritating movie moments. Although to be honest, the rat monster was a cool moment in a very silly very absurd action/gangster/vampire movie which, at it's heart, is about George Clooney strutting around being cool and handsome in equal degrees.
Count Orlock in Nosferatu is associated more with rats than bats. He brings some with him and spreads the plague when he sails into town.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Forest Gump - a movie about the extraordinary life of one young man. Goes all sorts of different places, but it remains that singular story.

Dusk Till Dawn - young family in an RV get taken hostage by gangsters, which is a theme with Quentin Tarantino movies. Then it turns into a vampire movie.

You can argue all you like that Dusk Till Dawn doesn't have a twist (it does), but trying to compare it to Forest Gump is stupid.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
what if the shrimps were vampires

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Train to Busan is referenced by the kids in All Of Us Are Dead. So they clearly know about zombies. So why the hell are they so DUMB about the invasion?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BiggerBoat posted:

OK, OK...not a twist. Sorry.

I just saw a new Tarantino movie, remembered liking him, saw Harvey Keitel was in it and hadn't heard anything about it. Maybe I was napping on the promotion for it. Nothing on the box cover said "vampire" or maybe it did and I didn't notice it. The vampire poo poo came out of left field for me is all. Honestly not trying to stat any poo poo about it.

That makes sense. Here's one version of the blu-ray box:

There are some bats in one picture. Not a word about vampires. No fangs. It just says they are forced to team up with their hostages to deal with "notorious clientele" which is both vague and inaccurate. Irrationally irritating movie box covers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Remember that scene in 1992 Dracula when they corner him at the institution and he backs into the shadows for a sec so they shine their lantern on him and he's just a Gary Oldman-shaped pile of rats and they all scatter? That fuckin ruled.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
On its own, the movie has a twist. During its initial release they decided to sell it as a vampire flick because they did not want people who drove to the theater and specifically paid to see a hostage movie get up and demand their money back.

Audiences will put up with a lot of things but they don't usually take too kindly to being the butt of a practical joke at their own expense.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

On its own, the movie has a twist. During its initial release they decided to sell it as a vampire flick because they did not want people who drove to the theater and specifically paid to see a hostage movie get up and demand their money back.

Audiences will put up with a lot of things but they don't usually take too kindly to being the butt of a practical joke at their own expense.

Which left vampire movie enthusiasts impatiently waiting for the the "good part" to start, lol. It was a strange movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

So you mean they tell you it's a vampire movie up front?

Almost like it isn't supposed to be a twist at all!

Edit: https://youtu.be/jNuIn4T-CLk

Yep the vampires are definitely a surprise

Len has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Jan 31, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd you can't appreciate the genius of Fron Dusk Till Dawn you don't deserve movies

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you have that 50 First Dates disease, every movie is full of twists!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
People who were not involved in writing or shooting the movie decided, after the movie was completed, that they should sell it as a vampire movie.

If Signs was marketed as "that movie where there's aliens but you can gently caress them up with water and baseball bats and Mel Gibson's wife knew all along" it would still be a twist in the movie. The marketing spoiling a twist does not mean it wasn't a twist.

edit lol I just noticed someone added emoji to my custom title

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Why is it so important to you that you have to jump through these mental hoops? The writer called it a twist. The director called it a twist. The poster and synopsis on the box hides it. It's a twist.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Len posted:

God what a weird way to look at it. So does the movie suddenly gain a twist now that the marketing hides the vampires?

Edit: My initial reaction to the movie, having seen all the ads with vampires, was in fact "the vampires were a twist?"

SidneyIsTheKiller has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Jan 31, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flavor.flv posted:

Why is it so important to you that you have to jump through these mental hoops? The writer called it a twist. The director called it a twist. The poster and synopsis on the box hides it. It's a twist.

Do you have a quote from Tarantino and Rodriguez? Because I've asked that in this thread multiple times over the years and never had a source given

There was one for Terminator 2 where Cameron said "yeah the advertising went against my wishes" but I haven't seen that about FDTD

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

I know this is hard to comprehend, but sometimes (all times) marketing is done by completely different people from the ones who actually make the movie, who approach the process with different goals and methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes, but you see, if The Sixth Sense marketing mentioned that Bruce Willis' character was dead, then it wouldn't be a twist. I can't tell the difference between themes in a movie and a marketing campaign.

:goonsay:

This is up there with ambulances leaving the hospital for people not understanding something incredibly simple.