Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

DoctorWhat posted:

It's called Nebula and it's already had a huge TERF crisis.

What happened re. this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Jill Bearup left after Lindsay Ellis quit and cited her being outed as a TERF as the cause.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arquinsiel posted:

Jill Bearup left after Lindsay Ellis quit and cited her being outed as a TERF as the cause.

Ambiguous phrasing there. Bearup is the one cited as a terf.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jill Bearup was outed as a terf years ago. Did people forget or something?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
So, the "huge TERF crisis" is that they found one TERF and kicked her out?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

I AM GRANDO posted:

Pretty much. All of the old Chez Apocalypse people cut ties with her then, but she scrubbed her social media and started a new show and ended up getting semi-successful all over again without a lot of people being the wiser.

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't that what Chuck from SF Debris has to do?

He did that for several years. Then Vimeo noticed he was one of the more stable presences on their platform and started charging him several times the fees. So he’s migrating again, some material to daily motion and others re-edited to be, he hopes, YouTube safe and stashed on a secondary channel from his original larger one.

E: Vimeo not Venmo

CmdrKing fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 29, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vimeo not Venmo. Venmo is the money transfer app

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yes, people forgot. But then Tom Scott did a collaboration video with her and the people who couldn't afford to forget brought it to wider attention.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

She buried it pretty deep. Deleted the original post that set it off, left twitter, etc.

Now you may have thought that maaaaaaybe she did some self-reflection, as usually once they tip their hand terfs can’t shut the gently caress up about the evils of gender identity, but she keeps it under wraps.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

fun hater posted:

legit interested: what the ballpark for someone with 0 audience to host their own videos for a blog or something? is that a thing that can be guessed

With my employer, one 30 minute video per month, viewed 50% to completion 1000 times, you're looking at about a dollar of encoding costs (paid once), ten cents in storage costs (paid monthly, based on total data storage), and about $18 for streaming costs (based on users per month).

We aren't the cheapest, but for my money we're the easiest to deal with, if you can and are willing to write a little code (not much) to embed video. If you can't write code--

DoctorWhat posted:

You can pay Venmo for professional hosting. Linkara also paid for non-Youtube hosting for some of his videos as a mirror for a while.

--Vimeo's (disclaimer: they're a competitor) professional plans have historically been a good option, but they also have been telling people that actually use the service they're paying for that, surprise, it's time to jack up your fees a whole lot--edit: I see that somebody mentioned SF Debris above, they're a good example of it--so I wouldn't use them personally.

Hel posted:

Video hosting is file hosting, so if you are really basic you can just offer your videos for download rather than streaming, so basic Web hosting. And I think you can just embed them with html(or a JavaScript videoplayer), though how good that works I don't know. But since a lot of the audience is watching on phones with apps rather than browsers it might be limiting.

Kind of true, but with huge asterisks. You can put an MP4 somewhere, but it'll be awful. Even VOD is done with DASH and HLS; HLS is more widely supported. HLS is really an .m3u8 file (a descendant of the WinAmp M3U playlist format) with some special language in it to find video file segments. I've built this professionally, but now I work for a company that does this and does it about as cheap as you can expect to find. You could do it by hand and serve the files yourself if you really wanted to, doing something vaguely like:

code:
ffmpeg -i filename.mp4 -codec: copy -start_number 0 -hls_time 10 -hls_list_size 0 -f hls filename.m3u8
That would give you a set of files that you could just throw on a server somewhere, but now you're your own preprocessor (congratulations! it sucks!).

Antigravitas posted:

Embedding video for someone without much of an audience is trivial. Won't have different quality levels and whatnot out of the box, but it's not that hard. It's just <video /> tags pointing at video file on a server. Browsers can handle everything on their own.

The hard part comes when the audience is no longer trivial or uses weird devices that can't decode the video.

It's much harder than this if you want users to be able to effectively seek through the content, particularly on mobile devices. HTTP range seek is terrible for video (and most other things that aren't predictable text or binary). Codecs are a solved problem for everything sub-4K; everything under the sun can decode h264. (Much of the need of things like YouTube's AV1 is that 4K h264 at reasonable bitrates won't fit in the buffers available to Media Source Extensions in the browser. 1080p h264 is totally fine, though slightly inefficient at YouTube scale so I think they'll send you 1080p AV1 if your hardware can support it; I know that 720p is h264 across the board.)

The harder part is when you're trying to send data to mobile devices, where HTTP range seek often just won't work and trying to jump halfway through your monster MP4 file hangs forever.

quote:

If you're using some kind of CDN, which you have to, you are looking at transfer costs of a few cents per GB. A 2GB video with 10 000 views may cost 1800€ to serve. (Extreme napkin maths here)

Generally yeah. Though depending on how small an audience, and what bitrate you're targeting, you may not need a CDN. DigitalOcean will hand you a droplet with 1TB of bandwidth for $6/month (bandwidth doesn't go up linearly for bigger machines though!), and if you're sufficiently clever you could bodge together something fairly cheap from that. Or DigitalOcean Spaces is like $0.01/GB for outbound transfer. On the other hand, it's also way slower than a CDN. You pay your money and you take your choice.

(One thing is that the margins in this space are all actually pretty low for tech companies; this is one of the more difficult problems in the general tech space just because video is so big in terms of bandwidth required to get it out the door. The fact that YouTube exists and is able to serve effectively infinite high-quality video, for free, might be considered dumping in other industries. Twitch, ditto, for streaming--though, and I have no insider knowledge or anything here--I suspect that gravy train may roll to a stop sometime relatively soon.)

I Before E posted:

If nothing else, you can always use archive.org, aka the one place I was sure I could find an upload of Jan Misali's essay "Who Wrote Caramelldansen?" while that DMCA controversy was happening slash might still be happening.

If you have no profit motive, this might the simplest option. Like the above suggestions, they just do HTTP service--so if you go to a fairly long video file and try to seek to, say, the halfway point, you will be waiting a long time and some phones might just give up before they get there--but it's free and it's easy to submit to, and they'll adopt your bandwidth costs.

I hope you kick them $20 or whatever every so often for the help they're giving you, though, because the Archive is a monumental public service and it isn't cheap to run.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 30, 2022

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

tracecomplete posted:

With my employer, one 30 minute video per month, viewed 50% to completion 1000 times, you're looking at about a dollar of encoding costs (paid once), ten cents in storage costs (paid monthly, based on total data storage), and about $18 for streaming costs (based on users per month).

We aren't the cheapest, but for my money we're the easiest to deal with, if you can and are willing to write a little code (not much) to embed video. If you can't write code--

that is a very interesting breakdown. my brain doesnt comprehend numbers so i cant imagine this at a larger scale but this alone is interesting, ty!

quote:

If you have no profit motive, this might the simplest option. Like the above suggestions, they just do HTTP service--so if you go to a fairly long video file and try to seek to, say, the halfway point, you will be waiting a long time and some phones might just give up before they get there--but it's free and it's easy to submit to, and they'll adopt your bandwidth costs.

I hope you kick them $20 or whatever every so often for the help they're giving you, though, because the Archive is a monumental public service and it isn't cheap to run.

yeah!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Digital Foundry dives into the Enter The Matrix xbox and PC ports, and its square car tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BtWBCfQ-Uw

Its kind of mind blowing how horrible the PC version looks, its like they put some beta version on the disc instead of a finished product.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

SimonChris posted:

So, the "huge TERF crisis" is that they found one TERF and kicked her out?

It sounds like it was more "They found one TERF and before they could kick her out she declared 'You can't fire me, I QUIT!'"

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

tracecomplete posted:

Kind of true, but with huge asterisks. You can put an MP4 somewhere, but it'll be awful. Even VOD is done with DASH and HLS; HLS is more widely supported. HLS is really an .m3u8 file (a descendant of the WinAmp M3U playlist format) with some special language in it to find video file segments. I've built this professionally, but now I work for a company that does this and does it about as cheap as you can expect to find. You could do it by hand and serve the files yourself if you really wanted to, doing something vaguely like:

Yeah, there's a reason I put "really basic" there, but even then people watched that Caramelldansen video on the archive, and I wonder how many actually watched it in browser vs downloaded it to watch in a dedicated player( here you could even harness you fan bases to help seed torrents) . It's hard to me for answer since I'm the kind of guy that still downloads podcasts files manually to listen to them, and don't really do streaming music and stuff. If people making videos moved to download only rather than streaming it really wouldn't affect me much, but I feel like that is far from the majority position.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ugh I didn't know that about Jill Bearup, that sucks. I've enjoyed her stuff before.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ERodBuster1/status/1485402307730849793

Well, drat.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jesus christ :(

https://twitter.com/ERodBuster1/status/1487837008856817666

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Was she not vaccinated?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grouchio posted:

Was she not vaccinated?

Do you really need to know this?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

Do you really need to know this?
Fair enough

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Covid is not a bad person's disease, Rose.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grouchio posted:

Was she not vaccinated?

glad we've gone to full Calvinism about a pandemic where the first reaction someone has to 'my wife died and I'm gutted I need to be with my family for now so I need to step back from my work' is 'well did she deserve it????'

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Was she not vaccinated?
If you care that much, took me two seconds to find this on his twitter

https://twitter.com/erodbuster1/status/1483347322901827584?s=21

We are now far removed from the original covid strain the vaccine was intended to target, so vaccination ain’t the silver bullet it was a year ago.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Holy poo poo what, so in those replies I also learned that Blockbuster Buster was shot in the head at 12 years old.
(It wasn't purposeful, but some huge moron shot in the air on new years and it came back down and hit him.)

Video he did about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX5sgz2v9sE

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Holy poo poo what, so in those replies I also learned that Blockbuster Buster was shot in the head at 12 years old.
(It wasn't purposeful, but some huge moron shot in the air on new years and it came back down and hit him.)

Video he did about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX5sgz2v9sE

That's a hell of a way to start off your teenage years.

Pants Donkey posted:

We are now far removed from the original covid strain the vaccine was intended to target, so vaccination ain’t the silver bullet it was a year ago.

But if you don't ask, how can you smugly revel in Vacchstoßlegende?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also oh, his wife had ALS as well, so that probably didn't help it all. :smith:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Was she not vaccinated?

:goofy:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Yardbomb posted:

Also oh, his wife had ALS as well, so that probably didn't help it all. :smith:
My dearest condolences to him and his family.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 30, 2022

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Was she not vaccinated?

My man you keep doing this over an over, and you should probably stop.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

you should probably stop

posting

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
For actual videos, Izzzyzzz released one a few days ago on the beloved children's social media network, Club Penguin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ryMTJ1KJg

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dan's NFT video is kinda blowing up. It's barely been up a week and it's already the most viewed thing on his channel.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I didn't even know ERod was married, and would have never have guess it was for over twenty years. He looks like he's in his late twenties-early thirties.

Hope he does okay.

Pants Donkey posted:

I would've thought that the new strain and the vaccine not being as effective against it would have been enough justification for us to go back into lockdown again, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of that happening.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Max Wilco posted:

I would've thought that the new strain and the vaccine not being as effective against it would have been enough justification for us to go back into lockdown again, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of that happening.

The spin on Omicron was "It's not as bad as other strands, we can go out and if you get sick you get sick", and when we passed Covid deaths from a year ago it's largely ignored.

It's really dumb, but a lot of people really do want to plug their ears and pretend the problem isn't happening rather than do anything else.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What problem?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gaius Marius posted:

What problem?

That we seem to be pushing towards operating as we did before COVID (or at least as close as we possibly can), when in reality, the situation is just as bad, if not worse than it was a year ago (unless I'm misunderstanding bobjr's post).

It's like, yeah you can get the vaccine and wear a mask for protection, but that's not a 100% guarantee that you won't be infected. Sure it reduces you chances, but the safer bet would be to go back into lockdown again. Otherwise, you're putting people at risk.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

That we seem to be pushing towards operating as we did before COVID (or at least as close as we possibly can), when in reality, the situation is just as bad, if not worse than it was a year ago (unless I'm misunderstanding bobjr's post).

It's like, yeah you can get the vaccine and wear a mask for protection, but that's not a 100% guarantee that you won't be infected. Sure it reduces you chances, but the safer bet would be to go back into lockdown again. Otherwise, you're putting people at risk.

bobjr posted:

It's really dumb, but a lot of people really do want to plug their ears and pretend the problem isn't happening rather than do anything else.

Hey, connect the dots on these posts

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A lot of the antivax/anti-mask rhetoric deep-down is also just scared people thinking they've cracked some secret code that means they get to live a normal life and all is actually well, unlike the dumb sheeple who haven't figured it out like they did.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Dan's NFT video is kinda blowing up. It's barely been up a week and it's already the most viewed thing on his channel.

one of the main sources of nfts' staying power has been their incomprehensibility to anyone who's not part of the crypto cult, so a detailed and understandable breakdown of what they are and why they suck is a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
brace yourselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btv68SAk-oM

jan Misali has made a video about homestuck