Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

I'll start.

1. Only post once the bennies kick in and the screen is difficult to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I AM GRANDO posted:

Derrida had actually read and understood Saussure and Levi-Strauss, though. It was people like Jorp who dismissed postmodernism as meaningless and fraudulent.

Oh yeah I'm not talking about the big postmodern scholars, I'm talking about the lovely crap that got spun off Derrida and others in anglo academia that went hog wild trying to write like him that caused a pushback amongst a lot of academics.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was driving to get groceries yesterday and started trying to do a Jorp voice, just to myself, trying it out. Not quite Kermit, but close to it, plus, as a fellow Canadian, even HIS Canadian accent sounds funny to me, and I'm from the east. His accent is THE accent that people outside of Canada assume all Canadians sound like. Holy poo poo, it's annoying.

He over pronounces his long "O" sound, he uses "ah" instead of "a" (like for him, he wouldn't say 'plan', it'd be closer to 'plahn')... add that to his meandering way of putting sentences together, and you've got an impression.

If I get good at it, I'll post it or something, I don't know.

It's a western accent, although it's pretty close to rural central Ontario accent. You can hear it with some of the characters in Letterkenny, (which is obviously exaggerated) and when I used to get drunk my own rural ontario accent would come out and it wasn't that dissimilar. Or go to Ottawa and hear valley accents, again really similar and it's all from rural places.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 30, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1487787722945224707?s=20&t=3gLLdcen5YlVlelJBbTPfw

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Is "investors (not donors)" like saying the Vietnam conflict (not war)?

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

"Suggested that Republicans could offer young people the sustaining meaning of responsibility, among other better stories"

What the gently caress does this even mean? It's like he learned how to do the wiseman self help cadence of speaking, and then just fills it in with poo poo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

give the wayward new generation a sense of meaning by making sure they get married and have kids before they're 25

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If it means anything at all it's gonna boil down to "if you're struggling in life it's your fault"

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
The accent/dialect may not be the same, but the voice Mark McKinney did for his character on Superstore is an almost pitch-perfect Crying JP

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jordan b Peterson has brain damage, so instead of the kind of obfuscatory bullshit he was previously able to produce, he is now reduced to complete gobbledegook.
He has 100% lost the ability to sound authoritative while talking complete shite.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
does 12 have significance in numerology or something or is it just his thing?

Vashro
May 12, 2004

my man is obsessed with symbols it's got to mean something

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Vashro posted:

He's down to reliving his greatest hits between benzo benders.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vashro posted:

AA and I think Narcotics anonymous are both 12 step programs, so he's likely just copying to their format rather than having an original thought.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

12 apostles, which maybe has something to do with AA liking that number.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Vashro posted:

It's catchy: twelve apostles, twelve signs of the zodiac, twelve is a dozen, and it's the largest single-syllable number

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Powerful Katrinka posted:

It's catchy: twelve apostles, twelve signs of the zodiac, twelve is a dozen, and it's the largest single-syllable number

People: so you're saying it's a significant number.
Jorp: No.
People: but it's a dozen.
Jorp: Yes.
People: 12 apostles.
Jorp: Yes, absolutely.
People: Zodiac... the fact that it's a dozen....
Jorp: All true.
People: So it's a special number.
Jorp: Absolutely not, no.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

it's 1999, professor writes Maps of Meaning and dedicates career to obfuscating his meaning and denying meaning to others

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vashro posted:

it's 1999, professor writes Maps of Meaning and dedicates career to obfuscating his meaning and denying meaning to others

Plus, the dude has provided ZERO maps for navigating his labyrinthine speech patterns.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

12 was used a base before 10. Rather than counting digits, they would count the joints on the fingers of one hand.

The five digits on the other hand were used for the next order up, hence 60 seconds and 60 minutes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've heard that before, but I have yet to encounter a hand whose digits have 12 joints combined.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Yeah well word on the street is gently caress TWELVE!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've heard that before, but I have yet to encounter a hand whose digits have 12 joints combined.
you use your right thumb to point to the number you're on, and fold your left fingers in to keep track of the tens position.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

people used to be triple-jointed before agriculture and consumption of vegetables poisoned our minds and bodies

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

you use your right thumb to point to the number you're on, and fold your left fingers in to keep track of the tens position.

Man ancient people were dumb as gently caress.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Excuse me I'm an ancient person and I barely agree with you.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Robo Reagan posted:

id say he's going to start a cult but he's pretty much already got one

Going back but this was literally his plan before his wife got sick.

He was going to buy a church and give sermons based on his wife's supposed doomsday visions.

The Behind the Bastards episode on Jorp is quite the thing

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Number 5, never sell no crack where you rest at
I don't care if they want a ounce, tell 'em bounce!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Oh wow, the way I was taught you use the knuckles on both hands, that way you can count to 12x12 instead of 12x5.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Some of them were, definitely.

Also, base 12 is a so much better system for everyday numbers than base 10 that it hurts me a little inside.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ghostlight posted:

Oh, you don't count the thumb!

That actually makes sense.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, but can you count to 72 on your fingers?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
With binary you can count to 512 on your hands and there's no need for knuckles. Just 0 and 1. Finger open, finger closed.

e: maybe even 1024 if you have all your digits

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

eSporks posted:

Oh wow, the way I was taught you use the knuckles on both hands, that way you can count to 12x12 instead of 12x5.
to be fair, this is specifically the technique used by the sumerians from whom we get the 60 minute/hour - there's been time for some improvements

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
how bored do you think they got trying to figure out the 60-minute hour and the 24-hour day?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

precision posted:

what do u think jorp's SA name is

prester jane

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

moonmazed posted:

prester jane

Oh, don't be THAT mean...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I estimate that jorp spends anywhere between 5 and 7 hours daily evacuating his bowels of compacted broiled meat

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

peterson increasingly just getting angry any time black people are mentioned
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1488549881673400322

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

He really, really likes calling people "virtue-signalling cowards". To be honest, I'm surprised he didn't throw the word "bloody" in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does he post like that a lot? Seems kind of manic.