Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
One of my major gripes is it doesn't save the shard I'm on so everytime I log in I have to scroll down to Gargoyle us 3 east. With a mouse cursor. Why the gently caress can I not easy access my shard , or at least scroll with the stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think that's coming. I don't think they had more than a handful of shards before release, so it was never needed.

lol

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

m.hache posted:

One of my major gripes is it doesn't save the shard I'm on so everytime I log in I have to scroll down to Gargoyle us 3 east. With a mouse cursor. Why the gently caress can I not easy access my shard , or at least scroll with the stick.

You play the same characters on every shard so it seems shard only matters when trying to meet up with friends.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lozareth posted:

You play the same characters on every shard so it seems shard only matters when trying to meet up with friends.

Did they remove the 24 hour timer on moves?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
I was struggling in Zenith with the waving to a quest giver thing too, but then I saw a streamer do it the right (albeit unintuitive) way.

Hold your hand out like you're going for a hand shake and move your hand side to side, like you were fanning something.

Philthy posted:

You can just aim at the quest buttons and press them with the trigger also.
Yes, but MY IMMERSION!

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 30, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You can just aim at the quest buttons and press them with the trigger also.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Thanks to whoever recommended Get Lost In Nature with Luke a few pages back. I wanted to let my Mum experience VR but she's pretty deep into chemo treatment and gets dizzy easily. This was the perfect app for her, no position movement or objects moving around in the playspace and really high fidelity imagery meant it didn't make her dizzy. She loved it, kept pointing things out and saying "look at that", had to keep reminding her I couldn't see what she's seeing lol. I might try setting up a static passenger seat cam in the private jet in MSFS for her, although i've set the visual bar pretty high with Get Lost...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ended up marathoning Lone Echo last night and it was a drat pretty game and a decent experience. No way I'd try it with full yaw and rotation though.

It was definitely slow, put the pacing helped the exploratory vibe.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

kemikalkadet posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Get Lost In Nature with Luke a few pages back. I wanted to let my Mum experience VR but she's pretty deep into chemo treatment and gets dizzy easily. This was the perfect app for her, no position movement or objects moving around in the playspace and really high fidelity imagery meant it didn't make her dizzy. She loved it, kept pointing things out and saying "look at that", had to keep reminding her I couldn't see what she's seeing lol. I might try setting up a static passenger seat cam in the private jet in MSFS for her, although i've set the visual bar pretty high with Get Lost...

:kiddo:

Yeah it's the best game to introduce old timers and boomers to imho. That and warplanes is popular with the homies

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thanks to those who chimed in on the best racing games for pcvr.

It would be awesome if they had something like stadia for PCVR. Especially with the chip shortage. Having millions more potential pcvr customers with the Quest 2 could help get pcvr out of its funk. But I know the latency would be an even bigger issue with PCVR.

We’ll probably just have to wait 5 years until SOC’s are capable enough to run HL Alyx.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ChocNitty posted:

It would be awesome if they had something like stadia for PCVR. Especially with the chip shortage. Having millions more potential pcvr customers with the Quest 2 could help get pcvr out of its funk. But I know the latency would be an even bigger issue with PCVR.

We’ll probably just have to wait 5 years until SOC’s are capable enough to run HL Alyx.

Something like Valve's rumored Deckard gets there sooner than anything else probably, think more a PC stuck to a headset rather than a bespoke set of hardware to play bespoke VR games.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does zenith have breath of the wild style exploration where you can just gently caress off and explore, climb, battle, whatever, or is it kore true MMO style where you have to group up to go battle a boss and do that over and over?

From your options, definitely Breath of the Wild style. I'm level 15 and so far I've only seen one quest marked as "Group", and I soloed it anyway. The instanced dungeons aren't in yet, so you can just go around soloing everything in-game if you want. Some of the areas have pretty good verticality so you end up climbing stuff and gliding around between platforms. The first zone that was extremely vertical also had that cool little quest where you glide onto floating rocks in the air and climb around them like a rock wall, pulling levers as you find them.

The enemy AI was pretty basic at first. The sword mobs would rush at you and the shooty mobs would launch projectiles that you would dodge. However, at level 15, I'm encountering more and more mobs that start casting various types of spells. You'll see red areas on the ground that indicate where the damage is going to be so you can move around and avoid those areas. It is making combat a little more interesting.

I'm definitely having my fun with the game. It helped that I had a $10 Oculus credit combined with the 10% launch discount, which means I only paid around $19 for it (after taxes), but I think I still would have found it worthwhile to purchase at full price.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm really enjoying Zenith. I don't know if it has a future or not, but at least in the beginning area there are a lot of people running around and having fun. The exploration is really top notch with some fun things to find that are hidden in tough to find places. The climbing and gliding in particular is a lot of fun and I like the gesture and aiming based combat (though I keep casting a spell that hurts me underneath myself).

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm really enjoying Zenith. I don't know if it has a future or not, but at least in the beginning area there are a lot of people running around and having fun. The exploration is really top notch with some fun things to find that are hidden in tough to find places. The climbing and gliding in particular is a lot of fun and I like the gesture and aiming based combat (though I keep casting a spell that hurts me underneath myself).

Same here, fellow tank mage! Yeah this is really fun so far. Bit of Jack here and there but traversal feels pretty good overall especially after switching to sensitive mode for gliding. Definitely gonna get $30 of value from it, and we’ll see where it goes.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah the Tank Mage first spell doing self damage is a real head scratcher. It's doubly bad because I keep accidentally casting it when I'm trying to climb things. I can only assume they'll add an archer class at some point, it's the VR thing to do.

IIRC you get health back from your teleport AOE and the first trigger ball you get so the idea is to mitigate the AOE self damage, but why even bother having it in the first place? It's just annoying.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I understand a lot of the complaints about Zenith but I'm still really enjoying myself. It's an incredibly simple game but it's a fun world to run around in.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm thinking with enough people buying and enjoying it, they'll have some good cash padding to flesh the game out more in areas it's lacking.

Also, got HL Alyx working on Win11 with Quest2 direct linked to my PC. Dear god. How is game even possible. It's crazy how well done it is.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh man, if Zenith gets an archery class, I'm going in whole hog.

I'd a pisspoor shot with guns in VR but I turn in to loving Legolas with archery. Just feels much more natural to me.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
This game launching without an archery class is a crime. A vr crime.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry for the bump post, but this is driving me nuts! Does no one else use Quest and Virtual Desktop to play Hitman 3? If you do, how do you open the save menu?

wezmon posted:

So I decided to give Hitman 3 a go in VR, and I've got an issue I can seem to figure out. I'm playing the Epic store version, using a Quest 1 over Virtual Desktop. The game detects the headset and successfully puts me in VR mode.
The problem comes when I'm doing the tutorial, I quickly come to a bit where it asks me to press a button to open the menu and save progress. None of the buttons seem to work! I should note that it seems to be running through Steam VR, and I thought maybe it is thinking I've got Valve controllers, but I can't seem to get it to work without Steam VR.
Lastly, I did try to edit the control bindings, but it doesn't seem to take my updated controls. The menu just keeps displaying "saving...", but doesn't seem to actually update.
Anyone else with the same setup as me got any tips?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

wezmon posted:

Sorry for the bump post, but this is driving me nuts! Does no one else use Quest and Virtual Desktop to play Hitman 3? If you do, how do you open the save menu?

Seems like it might be a bug with Virtual Desktop users specifically, I recall running into the same problem but I think I ended up just hitting esc on my keyboard. I found a bunch of posts from people saying the same thing so I'm not really sure if there's a better option right now other than using Air Link or just groping around for your keyboard and hitting esc when you need to save

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Nalin posted:

Also, go into the VR options (the icon with the person wearing a headset) and set your gliding to "sensitive". Tilting your right hand down while gliding will make you gain speed. Just pretend you are playing Super Mario World and fly down and bob back up. You will move around the map soooo much quicker than running. You can actually fly extremely fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEiKb2-DdDQ

Diephoon posted:

Yeah the Tank Mage first spell doing self damage is a real head scratcher. It's doubly bad because I keep accidentally casting it when I'm trying to climb things. I can only assume they'll add an archer class at some point, it's the VR thing to do.

IIRC you get health back from your teleport AOE and the first trigger ball you get so the idea is to mitigate the AOE self damage, but why even bother having it in the first place? It's just annoying.

Yeah I have a big problem with that & accidental casts or not being able to cast... Although I think today my tracking was not the same as it was yesterday based on how I was T-posing for flight; seemed like it wanted me to not be fully outstretched. Anyway, I often have an issue casting the ground AOE when I need it and casting it when I don't. Hah.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zenith is indeed pretty sick, just doing basic macguffin collection quests is pretty neat when you see everyone else running around bullshitting doing the same thing. I really need to get a hang of the sensitive glider movement though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Population:1 has much better gliding and climbing, and shooting of course. They should do something else with that engine as BR has gotten stale.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

ChocNitty posted:

Dont sleep on V-Speedway Alpha, it's fun and has drifting and ai and things
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/3927222113966481/?utm_source=oculus&utm_medium=share

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nuts and Gum posted:

This game launching without an archery class is a crime. A vr crime.

I feel this way too.

Second largest reason I don't own it.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Dont sleep on V-Speedway Alpha, it's fun and has drifting and ai and things
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/3927222113966481/?utm_source=oculus&utm_medium=share

I just tried this. The drifting is fun but I got so sick after one race. I haven't had that kind of reaction with a quest 2 game before.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay so I figured out gliding in Zenith using the special mode and now I loving get it. This game slaps, friends. Did a random instanced battle with whoever was there and after we won we all danced around hooting and hollering, it was hilarious.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

explosivo posted:

Okay so I figured out gliding in Zenith using the special mode and now I loving get it. This game slaps, friends. Did a random instanced battle with whoever was there and after we won we all danced around hooting and hollering, it was hilarious.

I discovered, from watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekc-cr4lX3c
you can enable some 'advanced' gliding mode wherein pitching your wrists up and down like a plane's flaps while your arms are extended controls if you gain or lose altitude. I take back what I said earlier about the climbing and gliding, I think i was having mmo launch lag, it's actually really tight if you're on a responsive server.

I have a lot of quests queued up and no real clear indicator of where to go on the map, so that's sort of frustrating. it also highlights quest givers that have quests I'm not high rank enough to accept. All sorts of jank, but since this seems to be a lot of peoples' first mmo experience there's a lot to love when you overhear people exploring and discovering how things work.

As someone who has played many early MMO's, experiencing said jank in VR is nostalgically frustrating.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I look at Joy Way's game development model, and I'm not sure what to think. I'd say I dislike it.

Why are they releasing a new game in Early Access, Against, when they have already two previous games in Early Access (Stride, Time Hacker)? Do they plan in finishing some games before starting a fourth game?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think in theory doing a bunch of stuff and trying new ideas and seeing what works and learning quickly can work, but from what I can see they over promise and under deliver every time

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
God damnit, I take back what I said about Blair witch. They waited until a near end of the game mission to gently caress it up so bad, so I can't even get a refund cause I have like 5 hours in the game.

Big spoiler if you absolutely gotta know they kill off the dog. not quick, but instead they have it get hurt (chasing after something and it falls off a cliff in the fog) and it slowly dies as you run around carrying it in a neverending loop, until you get to the option to lay it down and can't move any longer. loving dick move. I hate animal death in any media, but this was especially lovely.

Also the QA on this kinda sucked cause I've clipped into poo poo a few times where I've gotten stuck and had to quit and restart the game.

Maybe paranormal activity will be more fun?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm playing now RE8. In the part with the giant mutant bloody baby , the first thing I thought was 'this would be cool in VR!'

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 31, 2022

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

house of the dad posted:

I understand a lot of the complaints about Zenith but I'm still really enjoying myself. It's an incredibly simple game but it's a fun world to run around in.

It kinda feels like zenith is a pretty bad videogame but just the whole idea of a VR MMO is so compelling on it's own it doesn't really matter if it's sub 2002 wow in actual gameplay. Just an MMO in VR is the gameplay people want.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Yeah the competition for the space is...Orbus? Not a high bar.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah it is pretty crazy to think what a good one of these with a budget behind it might look like. I did just try the PC version through Virtual Desktop and I might have to play this way from now on, the framerate is just so much better.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RE4 gets an accesibility update

quote:

Options

Added controller-directional movement (“hand steering”) to the “Steering” options.
Added the ability to specify which analog stick will be used for movement, separately from the “Dominant Hand” setting.
Added the ability to adjust your height when in “Standing” mode.
Added waist and chest holster position adjustment options (height, distance from body, and separation).
Added an option to disable auto-ejecting of magazines when grabbing ammo from the belt pouch.
Added an option to disable auto-pulling the pin on thrown grenades.
Added the ability to set the color of the “Laser Sight” line.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm playing now RE8. In the part with the giant mutant bloody baby , the first think I thought was 'this would be cool in VR!'

Do I have some good news for you:

https://github.com/praydog/REFramework

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

wezmon posted:

Who don't you, as a workaround, use the ESC key on the Virtual Desktop keyboard?

Double press the left (app) menu button twice, then below the desktop should be a keyboard option. Hit ESC to bring up the menu and then go back into VR and save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Can I do an OVR style PIP window with AirLink? I'm trying to see if I can pop a youtube video on while playing Zenith but I probably stupidly bought the Oculus version of this for the crossplay and can't use OVR with it :[