Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

""
UK says it will offer large new military deployment to Europe this week, PM Boris Johnson to speak with Putin this week as well
""

I like to believe the leaders of the Five Eyes have a group chat where someone is just like "gently caress this, you try talking to him".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I have a random rear end question to lighten the mood.

How many of you eastern European area livers have flown helicopters

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

flying out kyiv airport early in january i shared the line with a number of heavily tattooed young guys with red us passports

they were having a grand old time cause one of them wrote their name incorrectly when buying their ticket

Captain Melo posted:

Is there a good primer for someone who is completely ignorant of EE and just wants to understand what is happening? All I've seen lately is headlines but I'm woefully underinformed and I probably shouldn't be.

https://archive.is/Z270s from earlier is decent enough

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Speaking of Latvia, the official language institution stated that Latvians ought to call black people "nēģeris", as per Latvian cultural tradition.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Yes. It's culture wars and is almost certainly meant to own the libs.

Other notable areas where the libs must be owned at all cost and against all reason are the never ending debate about Istanbul convention for prevention of domestic violence and the use and application of bike lanes and flexible bollards.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mobby_6kl posted:

Plastic or glass?
You just made them go back to the drawing board. Good job setting them back 20 years.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

flying out kyiv airport early in january i shared the line with a number of heavily tattooed young guys with red us passports

they were having a grand old time cause one of them wrote their name incorrectly when buying their ticket

https://archive.is/Z270s from earlier is decent enough

Dumb question maybe but what is the significance of a red passport? I've never seen one and all mine have been blue

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

HonorableTB posted:

Dumb question maybe but what is the significance of a red passport? I've never seen one and all mine have been blue

i believe it's people doing business on behalf of the government, but they don't have diplomatic immunity (those have black passports)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Melo posted:

Is there a good primer for someone who is completely ignorant of EE and just wants to understand what is happening? All I've seen lately is headlines but I'm woefully underinformed and I probably shouldn't be.

8 years ago the Ukrainian Russian-aligned president rejected association with the EU, this caused a wave of protests that eventually ousted him. Russia seized control of the Crimea with the help of little green men stationed in their naval military base leased from Ukraine in Sevastopol. They also incited rebels in the Eastern part of Ukraine, which were fairly swiftly beaten until they found that the power was in their hearts all along (also Russian artillery/tanks/anti-air helped) and were able to fight the Ukrainian army back. This was also when MH-17 was shot down by the separatists.

Fast forward to now and Putin is extremely mad that the rest of the Ukraine for some reason doesn't want to stay Russian aligned and hopes another quick invasion will help with that (or maybe give him a boost in polls or rebuild the balls of influence or whatever are the main reasons).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Plastic or glass?

Both. Metal cans in addition to that.

Sininu posted:

Only like 17 years after Estonia.
Congrats regardless!!

Yeah and only like 25 years after we spitefully threw out Soviet bottle collection schemes in place. Although at least in my area there kept being some seemingly arbitrary places to hand your beer bottles in.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Please give me more context to this poo poo lol

We’re one of the most forested nations in EU, and our environmental protection agency will literally spetsnaz your rear end for having the wrong kind of rubber seals on your greenhouse glass panes. At the same time, we do not do any of waste recycling - a classmate’s dad works in the largest waste disposal plant of Latvia, and what they do there is (kind of) sort it all by hand basically. If there’s one thing Latvians hate more than each other or foreigners, it’s bearing social responsibility and not being an utterly despicable FYGM/NIMBY type, which made this a low priority item for the Parliament. At the same time, our right wing did learn from the American, so this was a great opportunity to do a decade long handwringing about government overreach, while private industry obviously didn’t want to do the hard work, and used this as an opportunity to screech about government trying to force financial losses onto them. And then random citizen hot takes came in, “how dare you make my handle of beer have a 10 cent deposit”. Some people are not even trying to hide that they worry this might empower the homeless (TO DO loving WHAT, BUY TANKS FROM RUSSIA WITH ALL THOSE FANTA CANS, AND OVERTHROW THE GOVERNMENT?!), as ridiculous as that sounds.

Massive, embarrassing circus, in other words. If it’s not immediately and apparently profitable in the short term, it’s not worth doing, you see.

Edit:

Monglo posted:

Speaking of Latvia, the official language institution stated that Latvians ought to call black people "nēģeris", as per Latvian cultural tradition.

Well, that’s Valsts valodu centrs for you. The highest hot air to useful work done ratio of all our public institutions. Love to pay my taxes for poo poo like this, or for yet another rewrite of IT terminology into a fresh crop of nonsense. Remember to finish off in the harlot when you’re done working on your computer.

a podcast for cats posted:

Yes. It's culture wars and is almost certainly meant to own the libs.

Other notable areas where the libs must be owned at all cost and against all reason are the never ending debate about Istanbul convention for prevention of domestic violence and the use and application of bike lanes and flexible bollards.

loving bollardgate, thanks for reminding me that the summer is approaching.

Don’t get me started on Istanbul convention. Literally 98% of murders in Latvia happen in domestic violence situations.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 31, 2022

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I think bollardgate was the last straw finally caused me to log off from Twitter and also go no contact with my boomer relatives. It was just so monumentally stupid. Interesting, multifaceted, with a lot of context and nuance, deep rooted causes and a potential to expose the fault lines in the society and also incredibly stupid.

I feel like writing an effortpost about it, because I'm still mad, half a year later. I hope I can talk myself out of it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

I feel like writing an effortpost about it, because I'm still mad, half a year later. I hope I can talk myself out of it.
Go on

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm not one for encouraging self-destructive behaviour but in this case please do, I love learning about culture wars-y stuff like this when it's someone else's country being stupid.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I avoid Latvian twitter like the plague but I can imagine the self-righteous fury aimed at making cities less poo poo to traverse on a bike or on foot.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I was stupid enough not only to check specific verbiage of VVC recommendation (which turned out to be more smug than I expected, and quite evidently intentionally antagonistic), but also to go fishing for comments in news articles.

https://www.la.lv/nav-jaietekmejas-no-citu-kulturu-pieredzes-valodnieki-uzskata-ka-vardi-negeris-krievs-un-aziats-ir-neitrali/komentari

Sometimes I really have to ask myself why the gently caress do I keep living here.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
wtf is a bollardgate?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xarn posted:

wtf is a bollardgate?

Imagine if in the video below Shadow is a 50 year old Latvian car driver who believes that cyclists aren’t people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nwJEABRlaY

Then pile up some incompetent Eastern European bureaucrats into the mix.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Ukrainian security services are using the war scare as a nice oppertunity to arrest some rivals/maybe Russian agitators.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/rus/news/2022/01/31/7322262/

apparently a fake rally of 5k was planned for today.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Imagine if in the video below Shadow is a 50 year old Latvian car driver who believes that cyclists aren’t people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nwJEABRlaY

Then pile up some incompetent Eastern European bureaucrats into the mix.

This is amazing. I still have no clue, but feel like I get it anyway.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Osmosisch posted:

This is amazing. I still have no clue, but feel like I get it anyway.
If it's anything like the similar debates in the West, I assume there are a bunch of car-brained Boomers fighting rabidly against anything that might challenge the car's near absolute supremacy, including the most basic efforts to protect pedestrians and cyclists from being murdered by negligent or outright malicious drivers.

I imagine the I Hate Cars thread would be interested in a write-up.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

FishBulbia posted:

Ukrainian security services are using the war scare as a nice oppertunity to arrest some rivals/maybe Russian agitators.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/rus/news/2022/01/31/7322262/

apparently a fake rally of 5k was planned for today.

This is an excellent read, thank you. It's also nice to see Ukrainian news in Russian. Do they have an English version of the site?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats, if you ever write the effort post please do let me know. Although if you choose to not do so, I definitely will understand you, as a car-free bicycle owner living in Riga. It’s maddening, to put it politely.

In other news, FT has a bit more inside information on the planned sanctions.

https://www.ft.com/content/baa50a17-5f6b-47f3-8b79-5667ec6d78ac
https://archive.fo/j680c

Nitrox posted:

This is an excellent read, thank you. It's also nice to see Ukrainian news in Russian. Do they have an English version of the site?

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/

Edit: Ah, apparently not updated since 2016. I was looking at the headlines from phone and couldn’t figure what’s going on at first.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 31, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

If it's anything like the similar debates in the West, I assume there are a bunch of car-brained Boomers fighting rabidly against anything that might challenge the car's near absolute supremacy, including the most basic efforts to protect pedestrians and cyclists from being murdered by negligent or outright malicious drivers.

I imagine the I Hate Cars thread would be interested in a write-up.

As a car person, granted in America: This infuriates me. I want public transit. I want less cars. I enjoy cars, but also recognize that cars themselves are by and large the problem, not the solution.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

a podcast for cats, if you ever write the effort post please do let me know. Although if you choose to not do so, I definitely will understand you, as a car-free bicycle owner living in Riga. It’s maddening, to put it politely.

I have been at work all day and trying to type it up between (and sometimes during) meetings. Tomorrow will be a tad less busy, will try to finish it then.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I have been at work all day and trying to type it up between (and sometimes during) meetings. Tomorrow will be a tad less busy, will try to finish it then.

Nice. I mean, I’m so sorry, but also nice. :v:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think I am too easily amused sometimes:
https://twitter.com/KATURATION/status/1488160704054145028

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If there’s one thing I’m even less ready to hear about than the lexical temperature of threat assessment, it’s about whether if imminence is within purview of Ukrainian civilisation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I hope Ukraine doesnt fall as I just bought a fairly nice map of the world and I'd hate to throw it out

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If there’s one thing I’m even less ready to hear about than the lexical temperature of threat assessment, it’s about whether if imminence is within purview of Ukrainian civilisation.

There's now and there's now now.
And sometimes the now means in awhile.

When will Russia invade further?! Now, точно.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I hope Ukraine doesnt fall as I just bought a fairly nice map of the world and I'd hate to throw it out

Just write in "Russian Territory of _______" next to it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Just write in "Russian Territory of _______" next to it.

‘The’ is shorter. Added bonus of all the Cold War survivors calling it that anyway.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

watching the boundaries between russian and ukrainian language slowly dissolve as they both become a pastiche of english loan worlds in real time

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

this is why i just the old soviet maps for decoration. they're intentionally outdated, and you get bonus weird city names!

seriously, wtf is "Dzhambul"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

seriously, wtf is "Dzhambul"

“Satureja” in English.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Please make it at least somewhat thread-relevant.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Please make it at least somewhat thread-relevant.

Look closer. (editing to match that artifacted parchment background is exhausting with my limited tools)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

"The Gondor" and "South The Gondor"? A Ukraine joke?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Look closer. (editing to match that artifacted parchment background is exhausting with my limited tools)

I asked mods if I can refund 6 minutes of my time, but, unfortunately, 6 hours is the minimum duration. Please make your shop a bit more easy to find next time. Ideally, post something genuinely relevant alongside your meme.

TipTow posted:

"The Gondor" and "South The Gondor"? A Ukraine joke?

There’s a microscopic “Donetsk (fields of battle)”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I asked mods if I can refund 6 minutes of my time, but, unfortunately, 6 hours is the minimum duration. Please make your shop a bit more easy to find next time. Ideally, post something genuinely relevant alongside your meme.

There’s a microscopic “Donetsk (fields of battle)”

Sorry, sorry- I'd had grand plans for a full reworking but the editing was just too finicky. I had to make that letter k by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lithuania has ceased Belaruskaliy cargo transit through their territory. Time to setup a Belta reminder for tomorrow, this is going to be a major headache for Lukashenko.