Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lockback posted:

I would say I generally don't agree with that statement in the OP, though its probably true most people spend too much real estate . New grads should probably skip it, people with Junior/Intermediate experience should probably have a 1 line that gives a quick explanation (ex: in tech "Backend Engineer with Java and MongoDB experience"). Senior exp/managers can have more but at that point it starts depending a lot on how you're formatting/marketing yourself.
You are describing a summary, or headline. An objective is a goal. IE: "I want to get hired for lots of money".

TBH I have no idea why anyone would ever ask for an objective at all, but a career summary makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arquinsiel posted:

You are describing a summary, or headline. An objective is a goal. IE: "I want to get hired for lots of money".

TBH I have no idea why anyone would ever ask for an objective at all, but a career summary makes perfect sense.

I always thought those were synonymous, and most templates will have an "objective" section for the summary. In any case, you certainly shouldn't have both.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If they are being treated as synonymous then yes, it is the hiring managers who are wrong.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mantle posted:

I'm a non-trad career switcher into software dev after a 10 year career as a lawyer.

I'm looking for some opinions on my resume and whether it is reasonable for me to target an IC role in the 160-200k USD range. In my transition period 3 years ago, I had a lot of success winning hackathons but my sense is more professional experience I gain, the less meaningful hackathon wins are. In terms of team leadership, I'm getting into more mentoring and knowledge sharing responsibilities at work but I am not really sure how to quantify the impact.

My LinkedIn profile goes into more detail.

Appreciate any opinions and suggestions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BMSsDJWGuqSMj1FVgdiC9Zd1kflbvVM4/view?usp=sharing

I'd flag your resume as "suspicious for bullshit". Id probably still interview you but some minor clarification could fix little details don't small right.

It is unclear whether you have a J.D. Can you be a lawyer in CA with just a bachelors degree? If you have higher degrees, list them! You have J.D. by your name but not in your education. Put where/when you got your J.D. unless you think what will hamper you in some way. IMO it is a big achievement and shows someone who can achieve things. Many engineers cannot achieve things.

If you were a bonafide canadian lawyer and that was your primary role at marketing agency I'd make that clear. The idea of a corporate counsel and software QA person seems like bullshit to an American, partially because of how the law school system works here. I'd wager that "50/50 software QA and corporate counsel" doesn't exist productively in any company at all ever in the U.S. Following this line of thought, it looks like you have 3 years of experience as an engineer and 7 years of working as a lawyer where you worked in side coding projects to your job. Nothing wrong with that, but saying 12 years of experience doesnt jive with how I'd read your resume. You can just take the X year of experience bit out, it doesnt add much and I think a fair amount of people will read your resume the way I am. If true, saying "12" years when really it is 75% less than that will hurt you. If how I am reading your resume is untrue, you actually spent 50% of your time in software from 2012-2019, make the distribution of work between software and law crystal clear.

I'd take mentioning your hackathon wins out of your headline, but not out of your resume.

I'd move language and frameworks below your education, again still keep.

Again if you were a bonafide lawer, I'd ham that up in the intro. "Ex-lawyer with X years of experience as software engineer..." If someone has been in software for 8 years AND they're a lawyer? Well thats not a resume I get every day. Prob worth a phone interview.

The 2019-now sections are pretty good, they say to me that you shipped things that a company needed.

I wouldnt assume people will look at your linkedin. I only check them when I am on the fence about a phone interview.

I do check people githubs. Those who have projects with a decent readme.txt and relevant projects get a big + in my book.

Edit: btw yes you prob can get $160k or more with that resume even in the worst case of only 3 yrs exp

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 30, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Many of these resume templates have both an unlabeled section we could call 'summary' containing a job title and an explicitly labeled 'objective' containing English sentences. It's like:
code:
Full Name
Chocolate Teapot Maker

Objective: To make the darn best chocolate teapots in town!  And two more sentences for some reason?
It sounds like I'll just cut the objective and leave the summary.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

I'd flag your resume as "suspicious for bullshit".

You're right, I've made some tradeoffs on the "bullshit" scale in order to tell my story in one page.

For example, I technically don't have a J.D. because I got my law degree (LL.B) in Canada prior to 2011, after which time Canadian universities switched to awarding J.D.s in order to align with US law degrees. It's functionally the same since I can pay $100 to do a degree conversion and have a new certificate issued. I don't think it's worth using space to get into this level of detail for non-law jobs.

Prior to 2012, I worked 100% in law, but I've dropped this off my resume because it's not tech related.

quote:

Following this line of thought, it looks like you have 3 years of experience as an engineer and 7 years of working as a lawyer where you worked in side coding projects to your job.

This is closer to reality and I think the story is much more clear on my LinkedIn profile since I actually go into detail about what I was doing in my hybrid roles. I think I'll check out the goon resume service to see if I can better get the story across without setting off bullshit alarms.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Pay the money and get the JD piece of paper.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you can get a better bit of paper for just $100 then that's an easy decision to make. You'll get it back on your first payday.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Until you've paid for the conversion, you have an LL.B, not a JD, and your resume has a lie on it. It doesn't matter if it's functionally the same. It's your responsibility to pay for it to be the same.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
this kind of lack of attention to detail would set off my alarm bells that you aren't a very good lawyer and that would also make me suspicious

pay the 100 bucks and remove all doubt

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mantle posted:

You're right, I've made some tradeoffs on the "bullshit" scale in order to tell my story in one page.

For example, I technically don't have a J.D. because I got my law degree (LL.B) in Canada prior to 2011, after which time Canadian universities switched to awarding J.D.s in order to align with US law degrees. It's functionally the same since I can pay $100 to do a degree conversion and have a new certificate issued. I don't think it's worth using space to get into this level of detail for non-law jobs.

Prior to 2012, I worked 100% in law, but I've dropped this off my resume because it's not tech related.

This is closer to reality and I think the story is much more clear on my LinkedIn profile since I actually go into detail about what I was doing in my hybrid roles. I think I'll check out the goon resume service to see if I can better get the story across without setting off bullshit alarms.

-IMO you have a strong resume that needs minor changes to tell a story of a person that exists. But you actual real-life story is indeed pretty compelling. I've interviewed at least 3 or 4 lawyers who want to be in tech. Anyone who has interviewed 100 engineers will prob have run into a hand full of JD resumes for engineer jobs. They're at all stages of their legal career too, which works to your advantage.
-Get the J.D. If you want USA figgieland jobs and salaries, you'll need to comply with the norms of that area. Lawyer = has a JD.
-Some disagree, but I like to include a one line for previous, less related jobs again to tell my story.

code:
Associate Attorney            Insurance Defense Sweatshop, PLLC          Aug 2009 - Aug 2012
Think about what your story is. Until starting my business I tried to paint a picture of myself as an "engineer's engineer": guy who works on cars, was a machinist, got a mechanical engineering degree because of course he did he's a smart machinist and builder of stuff. Then when I interview and mention that I got arrested for street racing everyone relaxes because what they pictured of my resume is now confirmed. I use the punch line "it's the most mechanical engineer thing you can get arrested for" and now the stage is set. Their biases were confirmed.

For a lawyer, that story could go something like:
I went through undergrad for what I was good at in high school, finished with a high GPA and the natural progression was to go into law. Once I completed law school and started in law I realized I hated it. Meanwhile I had always had website building projects, which led to hackathons, which led to winning hackathons and I just realized a bit later that what I love to do is code. So I started working coding into my lawyer jobs when possible (cite the two early examples) and once I got a competitive offer to my lawyer salary (start positioning yourself as expensive early, because you want $160+K USD) I took it. I now do what I love and can use my time and work ethic gained as a lawyer to understand the business and compliance requirements of the projects I work on.

You want to be unique...but more like 1 in 1,000 unique...not 1 in a 1,000,000 unique.

EDIT: I'm rambling on with a lot of advice here because I'm in legal tech btw. Though I am currently not hiring an engineer in your price range, P.M. me if you wanna link up on linkedin. I know people at or founders of a few other legal tech companies: Axdraft, Klarity, Willing (bought by MetLife IIRC), Documate, TM TKO...maybe some others I'm forgetting.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 31, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that's great advice - if you try to be too unique, people can't quite figure you out and then where you fit in. the more unique your journey and profile the more you have to work at normalizing it and vice versa.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this kind of lack of attention to detail would set off my alarm bells that you aren't a very good lawyer and that would also make me suspicious

pay the 100 bucks and remove all doubt

People are brutal to lawyer resumes man, I have no joke been told by the leaders of two extremely well respected local law firms that they throw a lawyers resume in the trash if they have typos. I get why too, in our area of litigation you need to be a STRONG writer. Hot drat though they're brutal on lawyer resumes.

That said, both of them were talking about how much trouble they have hiring for their small, no-remote-allowed law firms located in a city with only one top 100 law school within 4 hours of it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

People are brutal to lawyer resumes man, I have no joke been told by the leaders of two extremely well respected local law firms that they throw a lawyers resume in the trash if they have typos.

Not a hiring manager or recruiter, but I was under the impression that absolutely any resume with a typo will be dumpstered.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I had a typo in one of my job titles for two subsequent jobs at one point, and nobody I asked to proof-read it caught it :iiam:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

Not a hiring manager or recruiter, but I was under the impression that absolutely any resume with a typo will be dumpstered.

Some will. It is definitely important to proofread. For engineers though it is an extremely stupid practice. Its is EXTREMELY common that software engineers have English as a 2nd language. I'd estimate probably 1 in 4 resumes I get from engineers come from someone who natively speaks a different language, not even counting the blatantly lying foreign resume spam. I've only hired 5 engineers since starting my company but the native languages of mine have been Arabic, English, Portuguese, Spanish, English. If you're hiring certain types of PhDs, probably >50% do not speak English as a first language.

>95% of lawyer resumes I get come from people who speak English natively.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 31, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
+1 to "get the JD" and +1 to adding some kind of "law jobs" catch all to make your story cohesive.

There's various software businesses in the legal field or even compliance heavy industries in general. You're more likely to see those high comps if you can find something where the JD is somewhat relevant for a revenue generating product.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I am looking to apply to entry level IT jobs after completing my A+ certification. Is it worth mentioning my typing speed under skills and proficiency? I took a typing test, and it puts me at about 90-100wpm. I figured being able to type fast and accurately would be a valuable asset, but so is being proficient with Microsoft and the OP said to stay away from that.

Trickortreat fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 31, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I wouldn't bother. If you're looking for an IT role it'll be assumed that your speed is "enough" TBH.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Trickortreat posted:

Is it worth mentioning my typing speed under skills and proficiency? I took a typing test, and it puts me at about 90-100wpm.

No. It'll hurt you. Fast typing is good for poo poo IT jobs. Other jobs need fast thinky, fast googley.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Thanks for the answer! I am switching from healthcare to IT, so I'm trying to pad out the resume with skills that transfer over from healthcare to IT while excising all the fluff. Typing was one of the first things I could think of.

On the bright side, if I don't get the job I applied for, I can quickly type out a search for another one, so at least I've got that going for me.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

CarForumPoster posted:

Think about what your story is. Until starting my business I tried to paint a picture of myself as an "engineer's engineer": guy who works on cars, was a machinist, got a mechanical engineering degree because of course he did he's a smart machinist and builder of stuff. Then when I interview and mention that I got arrested for street racing everyone relaxes because what they pictured of my resume is now confirmed. I use the punch line "it's the most mechanical engineer thing you can get arrested for" and now the stage is set. Their biases were confirmed.

[...]

You want to be unique...but more like 1 in 1,000 unique...not 1 in a 1,000,000 unique.

This is great advice.

I'm pivoting careers from architecture into service design, which is technically a career change. The skills, tools, and approaches are very similar, just pointed at different outcomes. I'm going to work on developing my story to explain why I'm leaving architecture for service design and how it makes sense as a part of my larger story.

Thanks!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

It can be a bit of an eye roller but it's not like I'm going to say "Sorry experienced back-end guy, you wrote who instead of whom, I'll simply go back to my 3 month long search to find someone else."

For something like a Lawyer it's more important though.

Trickortreat posted:

Thanks for the answer! I am switching from healthcare to IT, so I'm trying to pad out the resume with skills that transfer over from healthcare to IT while excising all the fluff. Typing was one of the first things I could think of.

On the bright side, if I don't get the job I applied for, I can quickly type out a search for another one, so at least I've got that going for me.

You ever complete HIPAA or any other "proper handling of sensitive information" training? That's a nice plus on an IT resume.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Lockback posted:

It can be a bit of an eye roller but it's not like I'm going to say "Sorry experienced back-end guy, you wrote who instead of whom, I'll simply go back to my 3 month long search to find someone else."

For something like a Lawyer it's more important though.

You ever complete HIPAA or any other "proper handling of sensitive information" training? That's a nice plus on an IT resume.
I have! I actually put together and taught a continuing education course on HIPAA compliance. It was a one time thing though, so how do I tactfully bring it up? So far, my resume consists of my education, my licenses, and a big empty nothing. I've been googling other resumes to see what kinds of things I can cherry pick. I'm sure I'll be back in this thread later to ask about the specifics. Thanks for all the help!

Speaking of which, should I put Dr. in front my name on the resume alongside my professional credentials that come after my name? since my clinical doctorate has nothing to do with my application, right? It just feels a bit pretentious since my clinical doctorate has nothing to do with the job I want to apply for.

Trickortreat fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 31, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That shows you have experience in interpreting regulatory frameworks, exposure to important concepts of data protection, and good communication skills. Presumably you also delivered at least some of that via powerpoint, so there's an implied familiarity with productivity suites there too. It's a pretty valuable thing to mention.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

I have! I actually put together and taught a continuing education course on HIPAA compliance. It was a one time thing though, so how do I tactfully bring it up? So far, my resume consists of my education, my licenses, and a big empty nothing. I've been googling other resumes to see what kinds of things I can cherry pick. I'm sure I'll be back in this thread later to ask about the specifics. Thanks for all the help!

Speaking of which, should I put Dr. in front my name on the resume alongside my professional credentials that come after my name? since my clinical doctorate has nothing to do with my application, right? It just feels a bit pretentious since my clinical doctorate has nothing to do with the job I want to apply for.

I'd list "Taught a continuing Ed Course on HIPAA Compliance" as a bullet point in the job (if it was part of the job) or with your credentials. As a job bullet point that's a great example of an accomplishment, something that is worth listing instead of just describing a job.

I'd list the education but I probably wouldn't put Dr unless you're applying somewhere that is explicitly a bonus. CFP's point about "Be Unique, but not too unique". Let me discover you have that qualification, don't slam my face in it first thing or I may be a little off-put.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
Can someone check out my current resume for me? I am job hunting as I feel I could get a senior business analyst or project manager role, especially ones that deal with Salesforce. I've gone over this quite a few times and would love some outsider eyes on it.

https://pdfhost.io/v/ByudPYX1d_Anon_Resume

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

UnleashedDad posted:

Can someone check out my current resume for me? I am job hunting as I feel I could get a senior business analyst or project manager role, especially ones that deal with Salesforce. I've gone over this quite a few times and would love some outsider eyes on it.

https://pdfhost.io/v/ByudPYX1d_Anon_Resume

I dont hire for this type of role so I'll share some generic issue thoughts. You're in decent shape so I'll be nitpicky. In order of how I thought them:

-People who review lots of resumes are immune to buzzwords. In fact, they are noise. We hate noise. "Dynamic, results-oriented" is noise.
-You first job description is good.
-Should "including lead processes," be "including led processes,"?
-You seem to switch verb tense a few times between jobs. Makes it read weird.
-If you made rentals go up by 12% at a truck rental place that's fuckin huge. That'd be top bullet IMO. I'd have a real tight story around my role here, how do you know that automated dialing drove the 12% increase? Maybe the industry need went up by 12% due to amazon? Did the number of outbound leads dialed per day increase by 20+%? Is your role in this defensible or was it really something you were told to run the numbers on and implemented by someone else? Thats perfectly okay if so, just have a tight story around your contributions.
-Did shortening the wait time lead to fewer dropped calls? If not or you don't know, thats okay...but the closer your metric is to moving revenue, the better. Presumably anyone reading your resume will be familiar with a sales funnel, so optimizing the inbound part by 12 seconds has a real connection, but if you know what the RESULT of that connection is, all the better.
-Presumably your resume includes what school you went to. If it doesnt, add that.
-Are you certified at some Six Sigma level? Have any Agile certs? PMP?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Cover letter question:
As I mentioned up-thread, I'm pivoting careers from architectural design into service design. The two fields use a lot of the same research tools and design thinking frameworks but have very different products.

In my cover letter, how explicit do I need to be about this pivot? I'm framing all my experience (in resume and cover letter) using language and mindsets that place me within the service design milieu while acknowledging how I've been spending the past 7 years.

Do I say "I feel like my goals of X,Y,Z are hampered by the way architecture is practiced and can be better met as a CX Specialist?" or simply frame myself as already doing CX work in a different context and leave it at that?

Trying to thread that needle of being 1 in 1,000, not 1 in 1,000,000

e: do I say "I've never done this specifically but I think I'd be really good at it based on what I have done, and I'll bring a unique perspective that is lacking in the field."? The pivot isn't one-for-one, there are things I haven't done. There are also skills that I have that aren't worth much in the new field (but a lot of my skills are valuable).

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 1, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Do I say "I feel like my goals of X,Y,Z are hampered by the way architecture is practiced and can be better met as a CX Specialist?" or simply frame myself as already doing CX work in a different context and leave it at that?

The first part sounds like "I washed out", so I wouldn't explicitly say it in a cover letter. I'd keep it at a higher level of "Wanting the challenge of Cx Design". You will certainly be asked it in an interview though so you should have an answer that doesn't sound like you bombed out. Saying nicely "The market for a CS designer is better" is usually fine.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

e: do I say "I've never done this specifically but I think I'd be really good at it based on what I have done, and I'll bring a unique perspective that is lacking in the field."? The pivot isn't one-for-one, there are things I haven't done. There are also skills that I have that aren't worth much in the new field (but a lot of my skills are valuable).

No, talk about your relevant skills. Highlight strengths, don't try to defend weaknesses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

The first part sounds like "I washed out", so I wouldn't explicitly say it in a cover letter. I'd keep it at a higher level of "Wanting the challenge of Cx Design". You will certainly be asked it in an interview though so you should have an answer that doesn't sound like you bombed out. Saying nicely "The market for a CS designer is better" is usually fine.

No, talk about your relevant skills. Highlight strengths, don't try to defend weaknesses.

the time to make connections like that is when you are actually in the interview "oh, I haven't done X, but [here's how i would go about covering for that lack of knowledge]"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I give some "most of the time true" advice below. If you want advice on your situation, post a job req for what you do now, what you want to do, a resume and a cover letter. Context and industry norms can be really important.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Cover letter question:
As I mentioned up-thread, I'm pivoting careers from architectural design into service design. The two fields use a lot of the same research tools and design thinking frameworks but have very different products.

In my cover letter, how explicit do I need to be about this pivot? I'm framing all my experience (in resume and cover letter) using language and mindsets that place me within the service design milieu while acknowledging how I've been spending the past 7 years.

I might not understand what these jobs are. To me architectural design is being an architect, service design is akin to process engineering/six sigma (e.g. how to make a faster, safer burrito at Chipotle). CX specialist I had to google: in tech that seems like a role that'd be held by someone who is over sales (whose job it is to bring in new revenue) and customer success (whose job it is to ensure recurring revenue) to measure where friction is causing fallout and optimize. Is that right? These seem like wildly different jobs to me, but I probably misunderstand.

Some specific answers:

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Cover letter question:

Don't say negative things. Reframe to how your professional work fits in, then throw in something else you did that was extra.

"This job req seems like a perfect fit because my goals are to do X, Y, Z. Although I do those tangentially now, I have done X in my spare time to make myself adept at X, Y and Z. "

Here's two examples that worked out well for me:
I got hired at a FAANG as an engineer with a 3.0 GPA from a mediocre state school in part because of my work experience but I also sat down an read "ASM Aluminum and It's Alloys" a book on the basics of aluminum metallurgy that was relevant to that job. Same thing when I transitioned into radar systems engineering within a former company as a mech E. I already knew all the components of the radar system from working with it on the mechanical side, I watched an MIT course on radar systems engineering and I read the first half of Stimson's intro to airborne radar. This got me a sit down with a manager and a radar SME. They had a project that just needed some handholding across the finish line, but we were short staffed so I made my move.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Trying to thread that needle of being 1 in 1,000, not 1 in 1,000,000

Don't worry about this too much. Whether what you're saying smells like BS is gonna be dependent on the experience of the interviewer. In his tech lawyers case I was adept in that niche form of bullshit, because I have done it too haha.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'd avoid saying you've never done a specific thing unless you're very early career. 1 yr out of school. I'd not infer that your perspective is lacking, you don't know that it is and it will play as "(s)he doesnt know what (s)he doesnt know"

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CarForumPoster posted:

I might not understand what these jobs are. To me architectural design is being an architect, service design is akin to process engineering/six sigma (

Not a designer but I've known a few that pivoted from arch design to service design or UX. My wife is also a designer, who burned out on corporate work lol.

From what I gather, there's a fundamental design education everyone gets. General requirements. Then they specialize. So a lot is pretty directly transferable and, if you have a head for it, even experience with designing physical spaces can carry over ok into other things. Main point: this dude is not crazy, although certainly has to prove they can make the jump.

The dude trying to pivot or someone with direct experience can confirm/deny all that.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Not a designer but I've known a few that pivoted from arch design to service design or UX. My wife is also a designer, who burned out on corporate work lol.

From what I gather, there's a fundamental design education everyone gets. General requirements. Then they specialize. So a lot is pretty directly transferable and, if you have a head for it, even experience with designing physical spaces can carry over ok into other things. Main point: this dude is not crazy, although certainly has to prove they can make the jump.

The dude trying to pivot or someone with direct experience can confirm/deny all that.

Yep, this is the gist of it -- four years of design school teaches fundamentals of research and application that can be further specialized. My project experience can be re-worded to highlight the CX principles I applied and I'm creating portfolio artifacts to show what I did through a CX lens. I got this idea from other architects who have made the same move successfully and are now making 3x as much and doing more fulfilling work.

CarForumPoster posted:

I give some "most of the time true" advice below. If you want advice on your situation, post a job req for what you do now, what you want to do, a resume and a cover letter. Context and industry norms can be really important.

I'm in the middle of converting my resume to federal formatting and finishing my cover letter. I will have something to post in the next few hours.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Yep, this is the gist of it -- four years of design school teaches fundamentals of research and application that can be further specialized. My project experience can be re-worded to highlight the CX principles I applied and I'm creating portfolio artifacts to show what I did through a CX lens. I got this idea from other architects who have made the same move successfully and are now making 3x as much and doing more fulfilling work.
Instead of talking about your assumed "unique perspective" talk about this and how it's a natural progression and you like the work more.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm in the middle of converting my resume to federal formatting and finishing my cover letter. I will have something to post in the next few hours.

Typically, I see advice to take keywords directly from the job advertisement and place them appropriately into my resume.

How does that work with words like "flexibility, optimism, resilience, humility"? I feel like those are show, don't tell, qualities, and yet they're in the second sentence of the posting.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Leon Sumbitches posted:

those are show, don't tell, qualities

Take JIRA and Excel and put them in your resume, but not humility.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Take JIRA and Excel and put them in your resume, but not humility.

Mine keeps exuding a sense of ennui and dread, but not Excel. Good tip.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've got a question about the 'Skills' section of a resume for a software developer. I've seen some advice to not put too many skills on your resume (less than 15), as it makes it look like an eight grader trying to puff things up. Just put stuff you're pretty darn confident in. My problem is I spent the last two years working in different Azure technologies every few months, so I have some familiarity with a lot of things. Even if I stretched what I felt confident in, I don't know if going "Azure Fork, Azure Spoon, Azure Toothpick" is going to make the reader's eyes glaze over. I've seen strategies of listing things as levels of expertise but I don't want to do that because I'm an idiot and not an expert in anything. I might list concretely number of years of experience, but I feel that is going to feel kinda limp too since I only have 2+ years experience in anything that matters, since my previous job before this one was such a massive dead end for learning and growth.

How do I make this into a positive? Do I list the technologies anyway? Do I just put "X years Azure experience" and explain during the phone screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If you're all-in on Azure and looking for a 100% Azure shop for a Devops/SRE/Architecture role, it might make sense to break it down into the heavy hitters. Otherwise, I would just leave it as generic "Azure". I would not advise listing years of experience per thing, since that could cause some companies to pass you over in favor of someone with 5+ years of Azure Toothpick experience, even if you're a better candidate with only 3 years of Toothpick experience (plus 2 years each of Fork and Spoon experience). Put down just the names of the technologies youre confident about and be ready to talk them up.