Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

DrPlump posted:

agreed make me IK of this thread ill clean up the garbage

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

cr0y posted:

We should be able to tweet @covid_sim or something and have it come up in game.

We should be able to tweet @covid and make the virus do stuff irl

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Morbus posted:

Drowning - lmao

Bats are great swimmers, it turns out. Makes a lot of sense, those wings work really as well as giant flippers so they just effortlessly row themselves through the water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8MQa5QcJQ

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Some major The Expression vibes there.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

God Hole posted:

so i used to be able to just genuinely laugh off the anti mask comments from the chuds but lately they've just been coming in too hard and frequently. today at the dog park i got another comment at just the wrong time and i saw red. got right up in his face and asked him to repeat himself. whole park got quiet, including the dogs. i'm really really glad he was smart enough to keep his mouth shut that second time because i'm sitting here now wondering if i would've killed him. and this scares me because the blister is RAW and every new day brings with it the prospect of another loving chud ready to press his fat loving thumb down on it. i'm aware i need therapy, but in the meantime are there any threadfellows willing to share their zen techniques because tomorrow is coming really fast.

The men in my family have had anger management issues going back at least three generations. My paternal grandfather was a hardened farmer who beat the poo poo out of his kids regularly, my dad was a returned Vietnam vet who never got help for his trauma but tried really really hard not to repeat history and instead forced himself to bottle up his emotions (unsuccessfully), and me and my brother caught the habit of stoically putting up with stuff for years until we snapped and nuked bridges with friends & family. It took me a long long time to figure out that our upbringing had completely hosed up our ability to deal with negative emotions, and that a lot of the "supportive" stuff we would do for other people who took advantage of us was actually just gathering ammo for the inevitable fight where we'd unload years of grievances which we should have dealt with when they happened instead of banking them to 'win' a future fight. Super unhealthy.

Recognising that anger is reactionary and is always triggered by some other emotion really helps me to be able to step back and ask myself "What am I actually angry about here?? Who am I actually angry at??" which is usually sufficient distance to allow me to re-engage with the situation at hand. It doesn't always work but once you manage it once or twice it becomes easier. Often you realise that you were angry before the fight and just waiting for someone to push the right buttons to allow you to explode at them.

Holding onto the rage after the incident has ended and obsessing over it for days is usually a sign (for me) that I've gotten into a circular, self-sustaining argument with myself that is somehow avoiding the actual issue which is causing me trouble. Sometimes it's super hard to break out of that circle of rage and start picking away at whatever lies underneath it and which stressed me out to the point where I snapped but a lot of the time I probably know the answer already if I'm honest with myself.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

lmao "How is this guy in the corner not infected yet?"

Wearing n95

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

AOF, take a critical thinking course, not joking. Philosophy of Mind, Information Ecosystems. It will answer these questions for you succinctly and thoroughly.

Short, free answer, you do your best and accept that you might make mistakes.

This isn't a philosophy problem at bottom. Acting like it is one, when you're the person facing it, can literally get you killed.

The reason I know that, is because I came within a fraction of a millimeter of an ugly death, twice, by ignoring the nature of this problem.

This isn't a philosophy problem.

It's a tactical problem. The battlefield is information, but the problem is tactical, and requires a tactical response.

It pretty much boils down to what Lacrosse said earlier

My policy for the latter half of my life begins by simply letting the people around me reveal their natures and intentions by processing the information they promulgate as "true".

When they lie to me about a matter of consequence, I don't call them on it. They've just revealed that they're my enemy, and it is not wise to inform an enemy.

If they started out as family, friends, or acquaintances, I just drop them. Immediately, completely, permanently, and without notice or negotiation.

If their relationship to me is more impersonal, an author or a public figure or someone with an organizational connection, I stop taking anything they say at face value, and I avoid them whenever possible and to the maximum extent possible.

Doing these things isn't easy, especially at first. It's very very hard, particularly with family.

But the alternative may not even by physically survivable. And the mental and emotional consequences of getting this wrong go way beyond ugly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The one the prophecies foretold of

The SecureClick-Hat-erach

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hard to believe I've been reading the exact same aof post for almost ten years, since the d&d times. still, better than food chat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CPU Abuser posted:

If they started out as family, friends, or acquaintances, I just drop them. Immediately, completely, permanently, and without notice or negotiation.

It's okay, we're your new family now. :glomp:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Anyone scrambling to get stuff done before BA.2 possibly blows up? Here's my shortlist:
-get masks + tests, if they come back in stock
-get a physical
-visit the optometrist
-find a tele-therapist that's accepting new patients
-build a corsi cube already

Feel this is missing lots of obvious stuff. Reads like a very mediocre bucket list.

Realizing there's not enough time to move out of our apartment properly. Likely going to have to give away furniture or pay someone to drag off that junk. You WFH suburban home owners with your detestable cars and ugly tract houses had the right idea all along. I want what you have.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

CPU Abuser posted:

When they lie to me about a matter of consequence, I don't call them on it. They've just revealed that they're my enemy, and it is not wise to inform an enemy.

bruh that is ridiculously harsh. That sounds like a great way to purge yourself of all dissidents such that you only interact with an echo chamber.

it’s good to be careful of fully trusting people, and it’s healthy to reevaluate relationships, but completely severing from family because they say poo poo you don’t agree with is nuts. Like 99% of people disagree with their parents / family on various important things.

I don’t know the poo poo you’ve been through. Maybe it’s reasonable for your situation, but dropping family isn’t the standard answer. fwiw I have an extended family member that has been completely cut out (by everyone) because they’re an emotionally abusive sociopathic drug addict, so it’s not like I’m completely against ostracizing.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
If anyone is looking for a good air purifier the Coway Airmega 1512-HH or HHS punches way above its weight for its size and price ($200 on Amazon for the one without the IoT bells and whistles). It has a true HEPA filter, an activated charcoal filter for smells and a washable pre-filter, and after about 20 minutes it nabs 60% of airborne particulates in a room up to 360 sqft. It's insanely quiet on the lower settings. The auto mode ramps up the speed based on detected indoor air quality.

Also within half an hour of running it in my apartment my perpetually allergy plagued sinuses cleared up and so far have stayed that way. 10/10 would recommend.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Nocturtle posted:

Anyone scrambling to get stuff done before BA.2 possibly blows up? Here's my shortlist:
-get masks + tests, if they come back in stock
-get a physical
-visit the optometrist
-find a tele-therapist that's accepting new patients
-build a corsi cube already

Feel this is missing lots of obvious stuff. Reads like a very mediocre bucket list.

Realizing there's not enough time to move out of our apartment properly. Likely going to have to give away furniture or pay someone to drag off that junk. You WFH suburban home owners with your detestable cars and ugly tract houses had the right idea all along. I want what you have.

Lol you really think cases are gonna drop to delta levels before the next variant is on your doorstep. It's literally an endless wave with only successively higher peaks from here on out

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Oh poo poo I agree with the Canadian trucker protest

https://twitter.com/ConSelfOwns/status/1488001865870680064?t=6AcmO-FXstPvOhWkxBBHnA&s=19

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It's over brother, pal, there's no going down.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

DNK posted:

bruh that is ridiculously harsh. That sounds like a great way to purge yourself of all dissidents such that you only interact with an echo chamber.

it’s good to be careful of fully trusting people, and it’s healthy to reevaluate relationships, but completely severing from family because they say poo poo you don’t agree with is nuts. Like 99% of people disagree with their parents / family on various important things.

I don’t know the poo poo you’ve been through. Maybe it’s reasonable for your situation, but dropping family isn’t the standard answer. fwiw I have an extended family member that has been completely cut out (by everyone) because they’re an emotionally abusive sociopathic drug addict, so it’s not like I’m completely against ostracizing.

l2R bruh, he wasn't talking about "disagreement". He was talking about "lies".
He's presenting the conundrum in an edgelord game theory grim trigger kind of way, and I don't think people have an easy time applying such logic to their own lives, but sometimes when the chips are down, really down on the table, I wish I had mastered it better.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So Covid didn’t end while I was taking a break huh.
Very rude of it.
BA2 going to gently caress us over even harder then?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

two-time fee posted:

l2R bruh, he wasn't talking about "disagreement". He was talking about "lies".
He's presenting the conundrum in an edgelord game theory grim trigger kind of way, and I don't think people have an easy time applying such logic to their own lives, but sometimes when the chips are down, really down on the table, I wish I had mastered it better.

:same:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Lol you really think cases are gonna drop to delta levels before the next variant is on your doorstep. It's literally an endless wave with only successively higher peaks from here on out

Right now is likely as good as it's going to get, recognize that and act accordingly. No-one said anything about cases dropping lower, let alone back to pre-Omicron levels. That's fantasy.

And one problem right now is in fact not having a doorstep, just a shared hallway with no ventilation. Not ideal.

edit: a variant at the doorstep sounds ideal TBH, just don't open the door

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 31, 2022

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the plague egg is mad

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1488107843635011585

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1488108361841356800

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I think if you catch someone lying you should be an adult and tell them, so that they can then be an adult and admit they were wrong.

anything else is for children imo.

set boundaries and enforce them but your personal threshold of tolerance shouldn’t be a mystery for the people who care about you.

anyway when’s brunch coming back?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

if I like someone I will fight them. if I love someone I will destroy them.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Helith posted:

So Covid didn’t end while I was taking a break huh.
Very rude of it.
BA2 going to gently caress us over even harder then?

Was starting to wonder if the 'vid got you.

It's gonna get me, went back to the office today. :coronatoot:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

BONGHITZ posted:

if I like someone I will fight them. if I love someone I will destroy them.

Bonghitz of love

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ah so the horrors of the working class she leaking into the coastal elites world and they do not like it! These things happen to lesser people. Not me!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Matthew Yglesias posted:

A friend of my son missed a week of school despite experiencing no symptoms because he tested positive in an asymptomatic screening program and then continued to test positive at home.
I already know the answer to this question, but I wonder how Yglesias would feel about whether the school officials made the right choice in sending me home from school the moment that they saw me with chickenpox lesions despite the fact that I felt well enough to continue with my classes for the rest of the afternoon

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

lol. Before I read past the title I thought this was a threat

https://twitter.com/aggregateglobal/status/1488096139375222784?s=21

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Captain Magic posted:

I think if you catch someone lying you should be an adult and tell them, so that they can then be an adult and admit they were wrong.

set boundaries and enforce them but your personal threshold of tolerance shouldn’t be a mystery for the people who care about you.

anyway when’s brunch coming back?

lmao yeah actually this is the best way to torpedo every personal relationship. Just proudly exclaim that their idealogy is wrong and tell them what the right one is BING BONG.

It's a waste of life dude and your time and efforts will be better spent on people who are not actively trying to kill you

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Magic posted:

sometimes people don't admit they were wrong about the lies they've been telling to take someone's money, or keep someone married to them, or keep someone from doing things they don't want

easier to convince themselves that their lies are actual reality

with regards to covid that's made a lot easier by basically all mass media telling every piece of poo poo in the country that, actually covid is no big deal and its ridiculous for anyone to blame them for anything they do to expose other people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JoshuaCAgar/status/1487938169479708675

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

in IDS Only 3 diseases are airborne and covid isn't one of them :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Restaurateur in Australia decides to close his business, fire all 30 of his staff, and become unemployed after he refused to get to get vaccinated because he was "too scared" and "just on the mental grounds" after years of previous medical issues, even though his issues weren't enough to secure him a vaxx exemption

quote:

Sanctuary Cove restaurant Artichoke closed after owner rejects COVID-19 vaccine mandate

A high-end Gold Coast restaurant has closed permanently after its owner refused to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

The owner of Sanctuary Cove's Artichoke, Grant Madgwick, said he had been "too scared" to get vaccinated after suffering a fungal infection called Scedosporium prolificans for several years.

"I'm disabled, I've got two children that live with me and no job and I'm unemployable," he said.

"No-one will employ me because I'm not double vaxxed and I can't get any exemptions."

The 10-year-old venue was fined almost $7,000 on December 19 for failing to comply with the public health direction.

At the time, a spokesperson for the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR) said the venue had been repeatedly warned and asked to undertake a number of activities "including making all reasonable efforts to confirm patrons' vaccination status".

Artichoke had been ordered to close on December 22 until January 3 or until it complied with the public health direction.

An OLGR spokesperson said no further action had been necessary since then.

"OLGR and other agencies will continue to monitor compliance of businesses with public health directions," the spokesperson said.

Mr Magdwick said he was "not anti-COVID", but his attempts to acquire a medical exemption had been unsuccessful.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01...jzPBh7yUvKz42Cc

..... but an earlier article clarifies that his medical issues ended a while ago and he's claiming to be paranoid about medical procedures in general, not just vaccines. :rolleyes: He was also letting his staff skip the vaxx mandate which is a big no no

quote:

Artichoke owner Grant Madgwick told the ABC he would not get vaccinated out of fear for his health, having suffered from a deadly infection called Scedosporium prolificans for the past several years.

While he has since been cured of the illness, he claims it wreaked havoc on his body and life for a long time.

"I've been through hell and my immune system just can't handle it," he said.

"I've had thousands of stitches, numerous hip replacements because it stuck to my bone, opened up 12 times, blood clots and taken away from an infected heart.

"If I was just any Joe Blow arguing that I don't want to get the jab. I just don't want to do it because I'm scared I could leave two beautiful children behind."

Mr Madgwick said his experience with the illness had left him nervous to put anything, not just the vaccine, in his body.

"I've been sick, it would feel like Russian roulette for me," he said.

"And if I'm too scared to get it, I can't force my staff.

"I've been trying to get an exemption from two doctors and they said no."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-23/artichoke-restaurant-gold-coast-vaccine-mandate-closed/100721434

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What a disgusting, pallid, inhuman monster.

Nice looking marine life though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

in IDS Only 3 diseases are airborne and covid isn't one of them :colbert:

specifically one of the arguments this person has unironically made!

https://twitter.com/EdselSalvana/status/1487635600643878916

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

not_superiority posted:

posting from 15 pages ago but eczema/skin problem goons:

switch to making your own soap. I've been struggling with manufacturers changing recipes and loving up my skin for years, way before covid. it's easy as gently caress to make a couple pounds of olive oil cold process soap that will last you a long time. a 2 lb batch lasts me a year, and that's with bringing a bar in a container with me to work to use instead of the soap in the restrooms.

simple cold proceds castille soap

no slime castille

Thanks for this.

I have some of the no slime castile sitting in a mould now.

The haphazard approach to the units annoyed me, so I converted everything to mass.

1000 g olive oil

230 g water

4 g sea salt

4 g sodium bicarbonate

135 g sodium hydroxide

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
You forgot the human grease.

/findyourspiritanimal

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

HoAssHo posted:

Yes, all of the people in the thread besides you have tons of friends and amazing families.
:newlol:

I won't go into detail about my family.

Suffice to say it took many years of being completely away from the loving lot of them before I began to recover.

Of course, with my father this was assisted by the fact that he managed to kill himself with an alcohol overdose a few months after I turned 18. Alcoholism was by far the least of his problems, but it was the one that finally did him in.

He was profoundly un-missed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

atelier morgan posted:

with regards to covid that's made a lot easier by basically all mass media telling every piece of poo poo in the country that, actually covid is no big deal and its ridiculous for anyone to blame them for anything they do to expose other people

Yeah clearly certain people's thought processes have been "Covid isn't a big deal and can't hurt you, people who act like it's a big deal are just paranoid and deluded because FAKE NEWS led them astray, I can't be bothered following those silly covid precautions but if my crazy family member finds out they'll just get upset and cause a scene and ruin [event] so it'll just be easier to lie to them and say I've been careful. What they don't know won't hurt them!"

Except no, everything about that is lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 77 days!

DNK posted:

If you'd known any of my immediate family for a prolonged period, I suspect you'd understand the issue better.

But that's not a fate I'd really wish on anyone.