Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
"automating" law is just so that you can say "sorry its the algorithm" isntea dof "sorry its the lovely judges and lawyers and politicians"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ns_-_Update.pdf

Absolute rubbish lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lessons. They will be learned. :suicide:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
boris-crimes.png

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

South China Morning Post posted:

Researchers in China say they have achieved a world first by developing a machine that can charge people with crimes using artificial intelligence.

The AI “prosecutor” can file a charge with more than 97 per cent accuracy based on a verbal description of the case, according to the researchers.

The machine was built and tested by the Shanghai Pudong People’s Procuratorate, the country’s largest and busiest district prosecution office.

The technology could reduce prosecutors’ daily workload, allowing them to focus on more difficult tasks, according to Professor Shi Yong, director of the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ big data and knowledge management laboratory, who is the project’s lead scientist.

Cool stuff, can't wait to see implemented here.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3160997/chinese-scientists-develop-ai-prosecutor-can-press-its-own

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Collateral posted:

Presumably for legal aid defences, it doesn't take much actual effort to tell the defendant to "just plead guilty, you haven't got a chance." I assume 99% of the cost of a legal aid defence was pursuing the payment.

Actually it does.
Ignoring the fact that a counsel has to weigh up a bunch of factors before advising a client to plead guilty. (Does the client have a suspended sentence that would get activated? Is there a mandatory sentence even on a guilty plea? Is the evidence so strong that you should plead, or are other defences available. )

So your client pleads guilty? What then?
In a court my job would be to enter a plea in mitigation (ideally sum up what the law says for this type of offence and if any principles apply to reduce the sentence, then move on to where the offence should be put on the overall scale, and lastly what personal factors of the defendant should the court take into account.)

It's not something you could farm out and tell the client to do it themselves. Not unless you want it to look like a Judge Dread style dystopia.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

People have been talking about how legal practice is definitely going to be automated for years now. There was even some industry publication doing the rounds at my old work calling it "one of the most likely sectors for automation".

I don't see it either, & apart from e-conveyancing (which we were promised 20 years ago) I haven't seen any serious papers on the subject either. I have, however, seen a lot of very bad papers on the subject, & considering how easy it is to attract research funding by putting fancy technological buzzwords on your application, I've got a suspicion the whole idea might just be technobabble to get money out of gullible institutions.

Zalakwe posted:

Using the blockchain!
Congrats, you now qualify for £12k of research funding.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Unfortunately it already has been but the valve-and-relay-based apparatus went rogue and escaped and is now believed to be hiding out in the vicinity of Westminster.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Not unless you want it to look like a Judge Dread style dystopia.
I have bad news about the direction of the past 20 years.

Borrovan posted:

People have been talking about how legal practice is definitely going to be automated for years now. There was even some industry publication doing the rounds at my old work calling it "one of the most likely sectors for automation".
It's most likely going to be corporate and contract over what most of the public thinks of as 'law', and it's most likely going to be by way of getting someone elsewhere to do most of the work.

Containerization wasn't 'automation' in the AI sense of the word, but it did similar for industry and dockside employment.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Containerization wasn't 'automation' in the AI sense of the word, but it did similar for industry and dockside employment.

It definitely was automation, and in the sense most people use the word "AI", in that they managed to take the work of thousands of people and instead turn it into something done by a single person in a little box. I'm only surprised they've not (yet) tried to outsource the crane driver and traffic control jobs to the Philippines.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

It's most likely going to be corporate and contract over what most of the public thinks of as 'law', and it's most likely going to be by way of getting someone elsewhere to do most of the work.
Yeah there's interesting stuff that can be done with smart contracts, but (a)as is often the case, that will create rather than replace jobs, & (b)it's not happening any time soon because nobody with a passing interest in smart contracts has shut the gently caress up about blockchain for the last 5 years (spoiler alert, the interesting stuff that can be done does not involve blockchains)

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

“significant learning to be drawn from these events” gently caress me she’s hitting them hard, how forensic can you get

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's kind of hilarious that after all this hype and anticipation, this report just says "these parties were inappropriate since everyone was in lockdown, and probably shouldn't have happened." I mean, no poo poo? Imagine having to write a while report on whether the sky is blue. It's not even a whitewash, it's just a boring-wash.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It definitely was automation, and in the sense most people use the word "AI", in that they managed to take the work of thousands of people and instead turn it into something done by a single person in a little box. I'm only surprised they've not (yet) tried to outsource the crane driver and traffic control jobs to the Philippines.

Automated container terminals already exist so they don't need to bother outsourcing.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lmao shifting blame to civil servants

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Genuinely un-loving believable

"I get it and I will fix it"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Borrovan posted:

Yeah there's interesting stuff that can be done with smart contracts, but (a)as is often the case, that will create rather than replace jobs, & (b)it's not happening any time soon because nobody with a passing interest in smart contracts has shut the gently caress up about blockchain for the last 5 years (spoiler alert, the interesting stuff that can be done does not involve blockchains)

Could you tell us a bit about that stuff? I don't think I've heard of Smart Contracts outside of a blockchain context, I had no idea they were a distinct thing from the NFT/Crypto poo poo.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
priti patel's hair is quite i dunno metal?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aidan_702 posted:

Genuinely un-loving believable

"I get it and I will fix it"

The only way Boris can fix it is by turning the gun on himself.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1488174638232440839

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Unfortunately it already has been but the valve-and-relay-based apparatus went rogue and escaped and is now believed to be hiding out in the vicinity of Westminster.

My god

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

quoting thatcher lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He's really just going to post through it and defend himself by calling Starmer a oval office.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tesseraction posted:

He's really just going to post through it and defend himself by calling Starmer a oval office.

Honestly? It'll probably work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

quoting thatcher lol

He was actually doing alright up to that point. Shame.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Lol Theresa May sticking the boot in.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Catzilla posted:

:discourse:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Catzilla posted:

lmao incredible scenes as she pulls the knife out of her back and waggles it at him

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Good to see Sue Gray's report put all this to bed. Johnson is gone, a general election has been called, Labour are polling at 47% and the future is safe again. I'm off out for a frothy coffee with Emma Kennedy.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Prole posted:

Good to see Sue Gray's report put all this to bed. Johnson is gone, a general election has been called, Lib Dems are polling at 47% and the future is safe again. I'm off out for a frothy coffee with Emma Kennedy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

just inadvertently shitposting, which is acceptable.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

dont give him the paper pike

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

oh gently caress off lindsay

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Ian should've just flat out called him a oval office at that stage

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ian Blackford is the MvP MP

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tesseraction posted:

Ian Blackford is the MvP MP

Honestly he's the only leader with a shred of backbone at this point.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

On a serious note, I don't believe anything of note will come of this report, or the police investigation that will follow. Already the Tory poll numbers are creeping back up. We are deep in a weird sort of democratic dictatorship situation where Johnson is all but untouchable. He should go, but that would absolutely give us someone even worse - and the libs would welcome them with open arms because they aren't Boris The Bogeyman. And even if there was an election called we may end up with Keith. What a choice we'd have!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I openly belly laughed at the comment of "full throated support"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

There'll be a brief hit to the Tory numbers in the polls but there's 2 years until another election and nobody will give a poo poo when Russia is rampaging through Europe and there's 100 miles of queues to get to Dover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I'd Like to See Ol Boris Johnson Wriggle His Way Out of THIS Jam!