Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bull3964 posted:

Ok, the show won me over this this line.

"When your past is the present, how can there be a future, there can't, you're just stuck in the present, with your past"

What episode was the quote about taking risks from? I want a plaque hanging on my wall with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't played any Halo since the first one so is it true that he's stuck in the suit forever meaning he can't jerk off

The suit itself jerks him off, god, don't you know anything? :rolleyes:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Didn’t they already do that Red vs Blue thing like a million decades ago?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

XboxPants posted:

What episode was the quote about taking risks from? I want a plaque hanging on my wall with that

Episode 3 I believe.

quote:

"To get to the bottom of something, sometimes you have to remind yourself that if you don't risk anything, you risk everything. And the biggest risk you can take is to risk nothing. And if you risk nothing, what you're really doing is risking not getting to the bottom of something. And if you don't get to the bottom of something, you risk everything."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DogsInSpace! posted:

Enjoying Pennyworth far more that I’d guess. Episode 8. They make alt universe Blighty far less racist in the 60s and it’s weird to see English fascists and cops so diverse. That and the predominant use of MP40s with government enforcers. Maybe some of us just really want to see Stens, Sterlings, FN Fals and Bren guns. Always liked the look of a Sterling with the long curved magazine.

It's kinda in the background but the implication is Britain lost WW2 and made peace with Germany (maybe in 1940?) so German gear makes sense.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mu Zeta posted:

I haven't played any Halo since the first one so is it true that he's stuck in the suit forever meaning he can't jerk off
Dude's already a mess so the suit just dopes him 24/7.

And yeah I think the undermesh (the black tactical rubber) is bonded to him. The later games kind of reconned that the green parts can be modular.

Canonically John-316 is albino and harmless and 8ft tall or something.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Rewatching Party Down because of the new series coming up, and it's just a fantasticly structured comedy. And a really dense one too, I swear each episode somehow supports ten different subplots.

I can't imagine that the revival is going to be anything but miserable, based around imagining these characters STILL somehow stuck in this deadend job. Gonna be weird without Casey too, but at the same time I'm excited for Megan Mullaly and Jane Lynch together.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

‘Halo’ Showrunner to Exit Paramount Plus Series After Season 1

quote:

“On June 25, 2021, it was reported that both Kane and Killien would be exiting as show runners following the completion of season one. Killien had left prior to the start of production, due to him feeling like he wasn't able to fulfill the duties of showrunner, with Kane taking the reins as lead show-runner until post production work had been completed. However, should the show get picked up for a second season, Kane would not return.”

Well this helps explain why that trailer looked kinda lovely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They made a Halo show is all the explanation needed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's no chance it won't be garbage but I'll watch it anyway

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I don't like that the trailer didn't have a shot of the titular Halo ring. Like, just give me Master Chief and that cool ringworld thing. Have all the scenes CGI the world curving up in the background.
I haven't even really played the games all that much, but that's the parts I wanna see.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

I don't like that the trailer didn't have a shot of the titular Halo ring. Like, just give me Master Chief and that cool ringworld thing. Have all the scenes CGI the world curving up in the background.
I haven't even really played the games all that much, but that's the parts I wanna see.

They didn't even use the theme song. Just :psyduck:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Halo is fairly straightforward "Humanity taking on mantle of dominant species" sci-fi with a slightly higher than average amount of religious naming, it's pretty hard to gently caress up.

I imagine they will though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The trailer pretty much just looks like Halo to me, weird human Cortana aside. I don't think it'd be difficult to top the storytelling quality of the recent games.

JazzFlight posted:

You gotta have a season 1 ending stinger

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

My dude, they aren't gonna get to Halo in Season 1. It's gonna be like the Mortal Kombat reboot that didn't have a Mortal Kombat tournament in it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Modern viewers have no patience. What's the point of a tournament if we don't first know about the tragic backstory of the yellow guy who yells come over here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They didn't even use the theme song. Just :psyduck:

Wanna bet that they somehow aren't allowed to use it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Today is the last day to post your top 10 shows of 2021 for our yearly poll! Don’t miss out on the chance to contribute ❤️ https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3988330

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

The weird thing is they used the theme to hype the trailer and in generic Paramont+ ads for the show. I think it's more whoever put the trailer together was bound and determined to follow the trend of the day and use a moody, downbeat cover of an 80's pop song.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Forget Halo, I want a Mass Effect series.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Josh Lyman posted:

Forget Halo, I want a Mass Effect series.

Amazon is making that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The first 15 minutes of Prometheus felt more like a Mass Effect adaptation teaser than an Alien movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All Of Us Are Dead was pretty good but that ending was blah they all should have died.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

That idea doesn't hold water, since Marty O'Donnell lost his lawsuit against Microsoft and was ordered to hand over any and all works he had done for the series; beyond that, the Halo theme was used in the trailer announcement clips that have been airing for about a week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe they can only use it for ads!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When are HBO/Max gonna start putting their new episodes up in 4K

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In related news: Sony just bought Bungie for 3.6 billion, the creator of the Halo games :stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Halo moving to Playstation is not a future I saw coming.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Bungie sold Halo to Microsoft and it's handled by an in-house Microsoft studio now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that's just a big waste of money on Sony's part.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Edit: redundent

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rhyno posted:

Well that's just a big waste of money on Sony's part.

More recently, they made such thrilling games like Destiny, or Destiny 2.
It feels like Sony saw how Microsoft bought a bad studio and wanted their own.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

cant cook creole bream posted:

More recently, they made such thrilling games like Destiny, or Destiny 2.
It feels like Sony saw how Microsoft bought a bad studio and wanted their own.

Despite the fact that the headline I saw announcing the deal specifically mentioned Destiny I still asked myself "what exactly has Bungie been up to since they left Halo?" after reading it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1488265418284290053

Nothing is safe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Right now there's a room full of Republicans trying to figure out how to charge the population for air and sunlight.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

Right now there's a room full of Republicans trying to figure out how to charge the population for air and sunlight.

Ben Elton wrote a play years ago, "Gasping", which was entirely about corporations figuring out how to charge people for air.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

It's kinda in the background but the implication is Britain lost WW2 and made peace with Germany (maybe in 1940?) so German gear makes sense.

I did not even slightly get that and feel silly. I saw my precious British weapons and postwar vehicles a couple of episodes later so I am happy. Funny enough after you said that, in the 9th episode, there were a couple of the Raven guard had what looked like STG 44s and the fascists mentioned Germany would help them so.... interesting. It's a bit silly to expect details to fit since this show plays it loose with the exact year in the 60s and Queen Lizzie the second looks about 30. Did like the cameo of Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson as the Pretenders. I like the idea of an alternate history Britain in the 60s spy series and glad they aren't trying to shoehorn in Batman aside from some names. Fun show.

Rhyno posted:

Some people might think you are kidding but I guarantee that somewhere in America there are indeed some Republican businessmen discussing how they can charge for air and sunlight in the future for potential growth areas.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

howe_sam posted:

The weird thing is they used the theme to hype the trailer and in generic Paramont+ ads for the show. I think it's more whoever put the trailer together was bound and determined to follow the trend of the day and use a moody, downbeat cover of an 80's pop song.

A trend that another Xbox game started lol

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Some people might think you are kidding but I guarantee that somewhere in America there are indeed some Republican businessmen discussing how they can charge for air and sunlight in the future for potential growth areas.

This is absolutely already happening.

Maybe this doesn't count because they're only taking advantage of the elderly and extremely ill (and I dunno maybe they give free tank refills) but still, I always found that sign really darkly funny. "Come on down, we got the GOOD air"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Going to be hilarious when people balk at paying money for this poo poo, and the trend either dies overnight or just transfers over to a free clone site.