Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FFVIIR's "timecop bullshit" is the most exciting thing about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am good with pretty much everything FF7R does but a lot of that is depending on the sequel holding up the same quality as Remake did in terms of character and presentation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Even with Nomura gone I believe in the team. VIIR was real good, they've got my trust until the sequel.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The new stuff in FF7R was mostly pretty good, so I don't mind them taking a shot at bigger changes and more new plot threads for 7R2. Shaving off a good chunk of the original's story is probably the only way they'll get the story done this decade. And honestly, even if it's bad, the original FF7 isn't gonna stop existing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Since we brought it up last page: what are other weird statements in FF games that drag in the real world? I remember that not only did the Supernova animation show our solar system, FFIV specifically mentions real planets when framing the Red Moon's journey. And while it doesn't pin the game world as being Earth necessarily, an NPC in Endwalker does mention the real-world star of Deneb, suggesting that FFXIV is in a universe with an Earth (amd apparently Earth star names).

I don't know why, but I find these off-handed mentions of real-rear end things in this clearly fantasy setting to be hilarious.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cleretic posted:

Since we brought it up last page: what are other weird statements in FF games that drag in the real world? I remember that not only did the Supernova animation show our solar system, FFIV specifically mentions real planets when framing the Red Moon's journey. And while it doesn't pin the game world as being Earth necessarily, an NPC in Endwalker does mention the real-world star of Deneb, suggesting that FFXIV is in a universe with an Earth (amd apparently Earth star names).

I don't know why, but I find these off-handed mentions of real-rear end things in this clearly fantasy setting to be hilarious.

Not what you're asking for, but all these regular rear end bears in FFXIV, like there's nothing magical or monstrous about them, they're just bears.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

I am good with pretty much everything FF7R does but a lot of that is depending on the sequel holding up the same quality as Remake did in terms of character and presentation.

This is basically how I feel. I would have preferred them playing it closer to the original, but if they take what they ended up doing and fully commit to it, we will still get something great.

I really hope Aerith lives

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bartz saying "Sweet Christmas" counts, right?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not what you're asking for, but all these regular rear end bears in FFXIV, like there's nothing magical or monstrous about them, they're just bears.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Can't believe SE stole my tinder username

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ive seen bigger

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Electromax posted:

Chocobo Farm seems like it could go? Choco Sam is a thing now and presuming the world map is gone, chocobo breeding might not be needed or handled the same way (maybe tie it into a more comprehensive chocobo racing/management minigame).

The Chocobo Farm will definitely be in. Choco Bill has already been modelled, and they’re not going to miss a chance to use that model again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arist posted:

FFVIIR's "timecop bullshit" is the most exciting thing about it

I'm conflicted about it because while I actually did enjoy it--to quote Youtuber SuperButterBuns, it was "pretty dumb, but kinda lit"--I think I would have preferred a straight remake. I didn't need a whole new metaplot with big "is it a sequel???" questions. Changes, yes, absolutely, Honeybee Inn was amazing and I really enjoyed the extra chapter where you hang out with Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge on a mission. Same for adding a Jenova fight that wasn't in the original--that made perfect sense as a way to add a climactic boss fight where one was definitely needed in a standalone game. More changes on that level I am 100% on board for, but they didn't need some big meta thing to justify those changes (and, in fact, the meta timecops didn't get involved in them at all).

I've had a lot of time to think about it and I still think I'd have preferred to just have them stick to the original story with some rewrites or expanded elements like 95% of FF7R is. I think the full FF7 remade like that would've been pretty magical, even if it wouldn't have had a plot that surprised me. I don't need to be surprised, that's okay. The prospect of seeing the original lovingly remade, adapted, and expanded with that level of quality was so exciting that I couldn't help but be disappointed that we're not actually going to get that.

That said I also feel this:

ImpAtom posted:

The character work and presentation were so excellent that I have a decent amount of goodwill for the whole endeavor and I'm still going to happily go along for the ride. On some level I think I'm always going to wish it was a different ride, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy what we're going to get.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
XV's product placements are always funny, but one of my favorite is that the shops accept American Express credit cards.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cleretic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5zh3uYUL7I&t=1748s

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Now is a good time to reveal that I am a final fantasy. I have been living among you and studying your ways and I have only one conclusion.

I’m gonna kill chaos

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Technically sort of not FF but Secret of Mana has the orbs that referenced real Earth stuff, was never sure if that was an invention of the localisation or not though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Secret of Evermore has Cecil in it, and also the real world.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Secret of Evermore is like 5 isekais in one

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doesn’t the dog transform based on your area too? I feel like that’s a thing. Also there’s crafting?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wait is it a isekai if it's time travel?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Last Celebration posted:

Doesn’t the dog transform based on your area too? I feel like that’s a thing. Also there’s crafting?

Yes the dog changes based on the area and its stats change too iirc. There’s alchemy where you combine ingredients to cast spells. The dog can sniff out stuff on the ground. If I remember, it was something like wax and clay combined to cast the first fire spell. There were some interesting spells but the best one was Atlas, which turns your guy into a huge buff dude for a second as its casting animation.

Edit: there’s an insanely difficult-to-find spell called Sting that summons a beehive over the enemy and a bunch of bees come out and sting them. A lot of the spells had cool animations like that.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 31, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Golden Goat posted:

...then it's just called time travel

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Doesn't VIII have a map of Earth in like Laguna's house?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/AshenbubsHD/status/1488163232145625090?t=b5um9pyUKRN0vS1w8KmFwA&s=19

Hell yeah.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yes the dog changes based on the area and its stats change too iirc. There’s alchemy where you combine ingredients to cast spells. The dog can sniff out stuff on the ground. If I remember, it was something like wax and clay combined to cast the first fire spell. There were some interesting spells but the best one was Atlas, which turns your guy into a huge buff dude for a second as its casting animation.

Edit: there’s an insanely difficult-to-find spell called Sting that summons a beehive over the enemy and a bunch of bees come out and sting them. A lot of the spells had cool animations like that.

It was also Jeremy Soule's first foray into video game OSTs. I always found it a little peculiar how much he eventually constructed his identity around being the generic orchestral fantasy OST guy when his first OST was a highly experimental counterpoint to the "standard" video game OSTs of the time.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Welp this just became a day one purchase

Edit: that ninja gameplay looks like he's running at least a portion of the ffxi ninja elemental wheel (hyoton to katon), could just be a coincidence but I wonder how much ffxi is gonna slip into this

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 31, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Stranger of Paradise is going to loving whip

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Is this gonna be some poo poo where it turns out all the other Final Fantasies split off from this world, hence the name ORIGIN? Because that would be really fun. I haven’t played Dissidia so maybe there’s precedent for that already.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Is this gonna be some poo poo where it turns out all the other Final Fantasies split off from this world, hence the name ORIGIN? Because that would be really fun. I haven’t played Dissidia so maybe there’s precedent for that already.

The idea that the various Final Fantasies are all housed together in the Interdimensional Rift is something that's been played around with in several games before, most notably with Gilgamesh's various appearances.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I guess so far there's been SoP dungeons inspired by 1 (duh), 3, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13 and 14? Looking forward to what the rest get.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm going to ignore the fact it isn't an isekai and wildly speculate that actually Gilgamesh = Garland = Chaos and this is the wacky Gilgamesh character action game I've wanted but further recast through Dissidia.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Golden Goat posted:

Well that depends. Sometimes time travel is a device used to teleport a character to a world so functionally different it's indistinguishable from an Isekai.

An example would be the main character in Inuyasha traveling back in time to the Sengoku period, but there's demons and magic and no known historical figures appear.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

OhFunny posted:

Well that depends. Sometimes time travel is a device used to teleport a character to a world so functionally different it's indistinguishable from an Isekai.

An example would be the main character in Inuyasha traveling back in time to the Sengoku period, but there's demons and magic and no known historical figures appear.

So Chrono Trigger is an isekai then along with Secret of Evermore.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the new testament is an isekai

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

OhFunny posted:

There was mention of Oda Nobunaga existing during that time, but they didn't show him. Just some nobody from a rival clan with a similar name.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Started playing the Final Fantasy VI. Figured I'd give it another go to see why people are so into it. Got up to the escape from Figaro. I'm pretty sure the last thing I remember from playing it years ago was just after that when you meet the pirate lady and escape.

First impressions. The intro is pretty bad, I think they want you to get a feel for how much more power ful you're gonna get later in the game, but raiding narshe with denim and jean is exceedingly tedious. Your far more powerful than every encounter, but your forced to wait for the Guage to fill before you act, compare to your dragon quests or SMT where your immediately either making decisions or reacting to the enemies moves, it's boring. And then they compound it by having the first boss's gimmick encourage waiting. It's bizarre what a terrible foot forward they put.

The parts up to meeting Locke and escaping are fine if uneventful. Locke himself feels like they wanted a cross between Han solo and Indiana Jones, but comes off more like an ineffectual Nathan Drake. I can't wait until I can ditch him and Edward. Which also Edward is so lame.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I respectfully disagree

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Same but disrespectfully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Who's Edward?