Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Just searching for a post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Really, this is the only spooky youtube video you need.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Since we just happened to be talking about the Backrooms and Horror YouTubers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kuO977k_U0

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ah hell. Not that guy.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Oh hey Portal references in '91 very realistic Nevermind I forgot about exit signs like a doofus

Also I can't imagine running around so nimbly while lugging a 90s video camera and also keeping a steady shot.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 1, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Puppy Time posted:

Oh hey Portal references in '91 very realistic Nevermind I forgot about exit signs like a doofus

Dude

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Reminds me of the goon who thought Tycho Brahe in Civilization was a reference to the Penny Arcade guy

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ymgve posted:

Reminds me of the goon who thought Tycho Brahe in Civilization was a reference to the Penny Arcade guy

Was it here or 4chan where someone thought that the Peanut Butter Jelly Time dance was a rip off of the joke from Family Guy, rather than the later referencing the former?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

Also I can't imagine running around so nimbly while lugging a 90s video camera and also keeping a steady shot.

Lol

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

In my defense, I was up really late.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Neito posted:

Was it here or 4chan where someone thought that the Peanut Butter Jelly Time dance was a rip off of the joke from Family Guy, rather than the later referencing the former?

I don't know, but I saw The Hidden Fortress a few weeks ago and it SUPER ripped off Star Wars. Old sword mentor guy? Active tomboyish princess? Two bumblers as our POV? Disgusting, Disney should sue this Kurosawa hack

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Another one was a goon thinking the province Benghazi in EU4 was a reference to that whole controversy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ymgve posted:

I was just about to pull that one up lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The talk about Archive 81 reminds me of Rabbits. I never actually did the podcast but the creator put out a book that I thought was pretty drat good. It would make a great series as well, and is somewhat related to video games in terms of secret messages sometimes appearing there and an overall plot involving a nominal video game company.

ymgve posted:

lol

The Chad Jihad posted:

Another one was a goon thinking the province Benghazi in EU4 was a reference to that whole controversy

lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wounded Knee being referenced in Bioshock Infinite was another fun one

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

RBA Starblade posted:

Not a video game but tech adjacent: there are high school aged bitcoiners who honestly think Satoshi invented cryptography. Not cryptocurrencies, but cryptography as a concept. It's not as common in 2022, but still around.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

high school aged bitcoiners

I think "for sale baby shoes never worn" has competition

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

RBA Starblade posted:

all time classic video there

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Neito posted:

Pretty soon after Johnny cash died, I was at a music festival where Nine Inch Nails were on. Hurt came on, and someone in the crowd went "they're just milking his memory".

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

!Klams posted:

Pretty soon after Johnny cash died, I was at a music festival where Nine Inch Nails were on. Hurt came on, and someone in the crowd went "they're just milking his memory".

Backward Time Universe is some real poo poo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

!Klams posted:

That's always a funny one but it's definitely a very common misconception, especially for younger people. Johnny Cash and The Downward Spiral are all basically ancient history and blur together, and with most of his hits coming from the 50s and 60s (and sounding pretty timeless!) it's easy to assume his cover of Hurt was an original that came out 40 years ago

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

goferchan posted:

That's always a funny one but it's definitely a very common misconception, especially for younger people. Johnny Cash and The Downward Spiral are all basically ancient history and blur together, and with most of his hits coming from the 50s and 60s (and sounding pretty timeless!) it's easy to assume his cover of Hurt was an original that came out 40 years ago

I had this argument with my mother when Cash's version came out. Of course, she loved it and couldn't understand why I was a bit pissed that the song she was talking up was a cover of an original by a "satanic" band that I'd been in serious trouble (to put it super mildly) for listening to but a few scant years before.

Then again, in retrospect, I was way more pissy that the lyrics had been altered than I was about any of that stuff.

Wait, what thread even is this

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
can anyone point me towards the story that was about a motorcade in a surreal place? I remember road barriers, cars going off the side of the road and down a steep wooded incline, and the world just sort of giving up towards the end. thanks

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Zetsubou-san posted:

can anyone point me towards the story that was about a motorcade in a surreal place? I remember road barriers, cars going off the side of the road and down a steep wooded incline, and the world just sort of giving up towards the end. thanks

Sounds like The Left Right Game, one of my favorites.

They did a podcast a bit ago that was... okay? Good casting, but the adaptation left a bit to be desired in my opinion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I had someone try to defend this as being understandable last year. It was certainly a thing

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Otana posted:

They did a podcast a bit ago that was... okay? Good casting, but the adaptation left a bit to be desired in my opinion.

If you're talking about the one QCODE did, I guess OK is the word I would use too. I was quite fond of the way Bristol and Rob were portrayed. Some of the other characters... meh, not as much.

The episodes were structured well though!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Len posted:

I had someone try to defend this as being understandable last year. It was certainly a thing

I dunno that it's especially hard to understand: people on tumblr, someone mentions the name of a character from a very popular cartoon, and people are super sensitive about pronoun usage at the time. The character in question even makes vocalizations that can be described as "angry garbage disposal" sometimes! The circumstance makes perfect sense.

It's also just funny as hell that some rando busts in to :actually: someone's post about their cat instead of thinking "Is this really the best use of my time and energy?" (And one of the stupider battles to choose)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Otana posted:

that it, thanks.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Well dang, I just read all that in an evening.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Otana posted:

Just read this end-to-end and man it was great.
Apparently Amazon have the rights to make a TV series. I don't know how they do it justice though.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

burial posted:

If you're talking about the one QCODE did, I guess OK is the word I would use too. I was quite fond of the way Bristol and Rob were portrayed. Some of the other characters... meh, not as much.

The episodes were structured well though!

Agreed, Rob's casting was great. I feel like they didn't handle the action sequences well though; I knew what was happening because I'd already read the story, but I feel like it'd be easy to get lost in it. The Magnus Archives is a good example of what to do right in that kind of audio medium.

tote up a bags posted:

Just read this end-to-end and man it was great.
Apparently Amazon have the rights to make a TV series. I don't know how they do it justice though.

I'd love to see a really good short TV series of it, it could be done right but it could be done very, very wrong too so I guess it depends which creative team is involved!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Otana posted:

I'd love to see a really good short TV series of it, it could be done right but it could be done very, very wrong too so I guess it depends which creative team is involved!

Is it weird if later parts of the story, especially the part in the woods, remind me of the Tomb Raider reboot? Loved the story, but it works almost better as a screenplay than as prose.

Reive
May 21, 2009

What was the game a few years back that had a secret hard to get weapon that required a bunch of steps and backtracking only for it to be like a shovel or something that wasn't anything special? I thought it was a souls game but I couldn't find anything looking it up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Reive posted:

What was the game a few years back that had a secret hard to get weapon that required a bunch of steps and backtracking only for it to be like a shovel or something that wasn't anything special? I thought it was a souls game but I couldn't find anything looking it up.

Maybe the pickaxe in dark souls 2? You have to get a boar enemy to chase you very far away from its spawn point and it eats some mushrooms revealing a pickaxe underneath

Reive
May 21, 2009

goferchan posted:

Maybe the pickaxe in dark souls 2? You have to get a boar enemy to chase you very far away from its spawn point and it eats some mushrooms revealing a pickaxe underneath

I think that's it yeah thanks!

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

great weapon, too!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Now this is what I crave:

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1551601744827670528

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1551602022905876483

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'd be willing to bet this is a Yoko Taro-esque gotcha in the vein of "if the MAC address of the device you're playing this on fits this specific bitmask that turns out to roughly a 536,870,912 in 1 chance, the game flips a switch and enables the door access" just to drive people mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Chev posted:

Now this is what I crave:

Whoa! Thanks for sharing. I don't know enough about it to have a decent sense of whether or not it's legitimate, but that only helps build intrigue.