Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Lifespan posted:

I feel like neither the Rams nor Niners were good at the run, but damned if the Niners didn't try. That is why I am most disappointed that the Niners did not win. And also LA fans are super lame.

I'm not lame, sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bawfuls posted:

Nope he changed it himself after the Dodgers won the World Series. I liked his old one, it was clever and fit well with that bugged weirdo Pence

:ok: sure whatever you say

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
it's funny because when these playoffs started no one, least of all the niners fans here thought that there was anything to it for their team. it was a truly incredible run, and they nearly had this one too

i would also like to know the source of hating tyler higbee, I guess I don't know anything about him really but there must be something to a hatred that deep

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I'm not lame, sir.

No shade to long time LA sports fans, I just know way too many "fans" that only care about the years when the team is a contender... and only when they actually contend. Real fans stick through the poo poo years. Like the Seahawks sucked this year and I am looking forward to the next season even if it doesn't pan out. And while they have been really good for a while now, I am also a Sacramento Kings fan and they have sucked for the majority of their existence, but go Kings!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lifespan posted:

No shade to long time LA sports fans, I just know way too many "fans" that only care about the years when the team is a contender... and only when they actually contend. Real fans stick through the poo poo years. Like the Seahawks sucked this year and I am looking forward to the next season even if it doesn't pan out. And while they have been really good for a while now, I am also a Sacramento Kings fan and they have sucked for the majority of their existence, but go Kings!

I know LA fans are notoriously fair weather but they literally didn’t have an NFL team for twenty years AND it’s the team some rear end in a top hat owner picked up and moved to St Louis in the first place. I drat sure wouldn’t stay a Saints fan if they moved to San Antonio or something so I can’t blame LA for not immediately jumping on the Rams train after another rear end in a top hat owner moved them back so he could make more money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I did not like that football game, the outcome was bad and it was because the football men played wrong
they should have played correctly and better

oh well

maybe next year raheem mostert will be alive and everything will be better

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think it was a good game and the Niners played well. They lost on Jimmy being Jimmy and it’s clear there’s nothing to be done about that at this point. A couple of coin flip plays and it goes the other way. If Trey is an above median QB next year it will be a very exciting season.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Both teams played hard

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

DeimosRising posted:

I think it was a good game and the Niners played well. They lost on Jimmy being Jimmy and it’s clear there’s nothing to be done about that at this point. A couple of coin flip plays and it goes the other way. If Trey is an above median QB next year it will be a very exciting season.

Jimmy jimmied, but Kyle also Kyled, Compton Comptoned, the secondary was tertiary at best, and Trent was playing on a high ankle sprain. They lost because Kyle punted, our o-line can’t protect on obvious passing downs, and Jimmy isn’t good enough to make something out of nothing.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

remember that year jimmy took over and went 6-0

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:ok: sure whatever you say

It actually had nothing to do with the world series and everything to do with some effort post about dynasty points or some other esoteric baseball nonsense

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 31, 2022

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Is it weird that I'm sad the 49ers lost as a Seahawks fan?

Felt the same way with the 2011 49ers. When the Seahawks aren't actual threats to win it during the season I root for the 49ers due to family. Like I shouldn't care if they lose though they arent my team

but I feel sadness like the seahawks lost in the playoffs

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

This is odd hatred.

Not that I need a good reason to hate the Rams, but Higbee and a bro beat the poo poo out a guy while yelling racist poo poo at him. gently caress him.

Also, Donald should lose a Super Bowl for every time he's tried to choke someone in a football game, so that's at least a few. Being the greatest player of his generation while being a massive baby throwing tantrums on the field makes him particularly icky.

Go Bengals.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GG Rams. GL against Trey next year.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Lifespan posted:

I'm a Timberwolves fan. I feel your pain.

Schwack posted:

Not that I need a good reason to hate the Rams, but Higbee and a bro beat the poo poo out a guy while yelling racist poo poo at him. gently caress him.

Also, Donald should lose a Super Bowl for every time he's tried to choke someone in a football game, so that's at least a few. Being the greatest player of his generation while being a massive baby throwing tantrums on the field makes him particularly icky.

Go Bengals.

Fair enough. I forgot about that incident. He's been upstanding since then, but that is a hard thing to forgive.

It does upset me when AD gets pissed off like that. He should definitely know better.

I appreciate your honesty.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I feel kinda strange and numb about this game.

Over the years I've seen lots of heartbreaking 49ers losses.

I've seen them lose because a single guy went completely crazy and took over a game his team had no right winning.
I've seen them lose to young upstart teams when they were probably better.
I've seen them lose to teams that were definitely better.
I've seen them lose when they had absolutely key players injured.
I've seen them lose due to players turning the ball over at stupid times.
I've seen them lose due to blatant ref rigging.
But this is the first time I've seen them lose because of a cowardly idiot coach who gave up on his players who then in turn gave up on him. They really should have won today but Shanahan absolutely blew this.

It's one thing to lose on the field. You can't control the refs or your opponent or the myriad weird things that happen.

But you can 100% control stupid coaching decisions. Just baffling how big a coward Shanahan is. This loss is 100% because of him. The Rams took advantage, sure. But if Shanahan doesn't coach in constant fear of losing they win that going away. Did the rams score every time Shanahan punted it away in their territory? It was 3 times, right? Utterly baffling that he can be so good up to the crucial moments and then become the biggest coward in the league.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://youtu.be/OaDv15ecmeo

Farewell, sweet prince. I hope you bring the 49ers a draft pick or two.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm glad the Niners lost.

I'll be glad if the Rams lose

Death to them both!

Also the Cards but lol

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm glad the Niners lost.

I'll be glad if the Rams lose

Death to them both!

Also the Cards but lol

hell yeah go bengals baby

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Waltzing Along posted:

But you can 100% control stupid coaching decisions. Just baffling how big a coward Shanahan is. This loss is 100% because of him. The Rams took advantage, sure. But if Shanahan doesn't coach in constant fear of losing they win that going away. Did the rams score every time Shanahan punted it away in their territory? It was 3 times, right? Utterly baffling that he can be so good up to the crucial moments and then become the biggest coward in the league.

The same could be said about McVay if the Rams would have lost.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sometimes things go wrong and you lose games and it's not anyone's fault in particular. It happens.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Sometimes things go wrong and you lose games and it's not anyone's fault in particular. It happens.

I’ve spent a better part of the last four decades watching this happen to the Lions almost every. single. week. of the season.

Things go wrong nonstop and there’s nobody in particular to point a finger at because there are hundreds of people directly at fault.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean Jimmy whiffed plenty during that game but the last series was as much the O-line finally breaking down against Donald and Von Miller as it was bad throws.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, to be fair to Jimmy, the wheels fell off the whole team when Tartt dropped the surefire INT. Donald & Pals were just too ferocious on the last two drives.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Waltzing Along posted:

Did the rams score every time Shanahan punted it away in their territory? It was 3 times, right? Utterly baffling that he can be so good up to the crucial moments and then become the biggest coward in the league.

No.

The 49ers punted twice in Rams territory. The first time in the first quarter on 4th and 6 on the LA 40, and the Rams drove from their own 3 and scored.

The second time the 49ers punted from on 4th and 9 from the Rams 42. The Rams drive stalled at the SF 43 and McVay went for it and failed. 49ers scored a TD on the short field on the following drive.

The last punt was 4th and 7 from the 50. The Rams took of from their 16 to the SF 22 and ultimately kicked the field goal to tie it up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the niners couldn't establish the run
the rams came into the game determined to stop the run and they did
this is why the niners lost

but the root cause is that the niners can only win when they run the ball because while Jimmy makes three to five fantastic throws into coverage per game, he also just wastes downs constantly with total whiff throws, most frequently soaring over the heads of a receiver or plowing the ball into the dirt. Like he just isn't good at controlling how high his passes go, and I don't think he is ever going to get better at that

where this lands on shanny is that he should understand this and call plays that don't require jimmy to make a critical pass five times in the same drive

but this is american football and maybe it's just not reasonable to think you can just run the ball all the time against every opponent all the way to the super bowl, eventually you will hit a team that stops the run on your first four drives and then you're forced to try to pass because what are you going to do, go for a fifth three-and-out while your defense is rapidly getting exhausted, and plus jimmy just made a great shot to kittle across the middle of the field between two defenders, maybe he's on a roll and you can scheme up some passing plays???

So in my opinion it still comes back to uhhh, this is a really great team with lots of weapons and Jimmy G is a smart QB who can manage these complex plays and can read the d pre-snap and make the pre-snap play change calls and he certainly is capable of a spectacular passing drive into a tough defense and score, but he's just never ever going to be a consistent passer and you can't win superbowls in 2022 without a consistent passer so it's time for him to go, before attrition and salaries inevitably break up the incredible talent set we've built up for this offense.

Also we need a better secondary. I hope we draft some great corners.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Lifespan posted:

I'll have you know I am a lifelong Rams fan, ever since Von Miller was traded to them. My whole life, sir.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

No.

The 49ers punted twice in Rams territory. The first time in the first quarter on 4th and 6 on the LA 40, and the Rams drove from their own 3 and scored.

The second time the 49ers punted from on 4th and 9 from the Rams 42. The Rams drive stalled at the SF 43 and McVay went for it and failed. 49ers scored a TD on the short field on the following drive.

The last punt was 4th and 7 from the 50. The Rams took of from their 16 to the SF 22 and ultimately kicked the field goal to tie it up.

Yeah. I disagree with some of those decisions, but none of them were catastrophically bad. We lost because we stopped being able to move the ball on offense, mostly because Jimmy was under heavy pressure on every down (and handled it poorly). Even the dropped INT might not have made a difference given that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

rjmccall posted:

Yeah. I disagree with some of those decisions, but none of them were catastrophically bad. We lost because we stopped being able to move the ball on offense, mostly because Jimmy was under heavy pressure on every down (and handled it poorly). Even the dropped INT might not have made a difference given that.

The worst call, objectively, was the 4th and 6 from the 40 and that’s the one that worked exactly the way you want because they did pin the Rams back at their own goal line and netted 37 yards of field position. 49ers just let them off the hook with a PI penalty on 2nd down.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also remember that time the rams failed to convert on 4th and 1 when stafford tried to jump the pile and didn't quite make it? The niners got away with an uncalled facemask penalty on that play, you could see it in the replays.

So, y'know, the vagaries of chance affect things too.

I always try to remember that in very close games, every play affected the outcome of the game, not just the plays that happened on the final drive or two. The niners and the rams both had multiple chances to score more points, and didn't. Any single play in any of those drives might have shifted the score by 7 points.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The worst call, objectively, was the 4th and 6 from the 40 and that’s the one that worked exactly the way you want because they did pin the Rams back at their own goal line and netted 37 yards of field position. 49ers just let them off the hook with a PI penalty on 2nd down.

Yeah. And the probability of conversion was definitely way under the cross-team average.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Leperflesh posted:

I always try to remember that in very close games, every play affected the outcome of the game, not just the plays that happened on the final drive or two. The niners and the rams both had multiple chances to score more points, and didn't. Any single play in any of those drives might have shifted the score by 7 points.

This is really true and one of the best things about football. In the earlier game, KC not kicking the field goal at halftime might have cost them the game.

Jimmy missed a wide open Kittle on like the 3rd play of the game. That could have been a TD for sure. Every play is super important in close games and it's just a matter of who can make the fewest mistakes/execute the best throughout the entire game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

rjmccall posted:

And even with respect to the dropped INT, the Rams defense also had at least one or two balls that easily could've bounced their way and lead to turnovers, including I think what easily could've been a Ramsey pick-6? poo poo happens in close games, and overall the Rams very much looked like the better team yesterday.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Papercut posted:

And even with respect to the dropped INT, the Rams defense also had at least one or two balls that easily could've bounced their way and lead to turnovers, including I think what easily could've been a Ramsey pick-6? poo poo happens in close games, and overall the Rams very much looked like the better team yesterday.

yeah it was amazing that the rams were behind so much. they just looked better but couldnt get out of their own way (red zone int) stupid galaxy brain 3rd & 1 call that led to 4th down turnover on downs.

In broad strokes i think it came down to the quality of QB play. stafford is good enough to cost his team points and still win

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

EmbryoSteve posted:

yeah it was amazing that the rams were behind so much. they just looked better but couldnt get out of their own way (red zone int) stupid galaxy brain 3rd & 1 call that led to 4th down turnover on downs.

In broad strokes i think it came down to the quality of QB play. stafford is good enough to cost his team points and still win

Hasn't that sort of been the constant with Jimmy? You can count on the dude for 50 positive snaps a game. Unfortunately, you need 60 a game to win against a team of equal talent, or the Seattle Seahawks. Watching Goff was really similar. He was almost good enough, but dude is always good to float a duck or two to a wide open defender.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Inspector 34 posted:

Both teams played hard

They really did.

I keep thinking about that absolute dot in the back right corner of the end zone to Cooper Kupp on third and long. That was basically the play of the game. As well as the one where they intercepted Jimmy at the end of the game, obviously. 49ers got lucky earlier though when Kupp dropped a likely touchdown pass and then Skowronek dropped a guaranteed one right after.

Even though they won I'm still mad about McVay wasting all of his second half timeouts. That was incredibly, almost shockingly stupid and if they had lost, especially near the end where it looked like they could've, that would be all anyone would be talking about right now, how loving stupid those challenges were.

The one actual timeout wasn't any better, it protected a five yard loss due to delay of game, but it was first down and they immediately got over fifteen yards anyways. You can't just waste second half timeouts like that, he got insanely lucky it didn't end up biting him.

Schwack posted:

Holy poo poo, I had never heard that about Higbee but agreed, that is hosed up.

Not sure I agree on the Donald front, I don't think he's ever done anything to anybody that they weren't trying to do to him first or who weren't getting in his face and talking poo poo. He is incredibly competitive, as you have to be if you want to be in his position, but I don't agree with portraying him as some sort of rabid animal. He should probably show a little more discretion though even if players are talking poo poo or getting up on him.

I also don't think he was actually trying to choke anyone because if he was they would probably have gotten choked.

Play fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 31, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Play posted:

Not sure I agree on the Donald front, I don't think he's ever done anything to anybody that they weren't trying to do to him first or who weren't getting in his face and talking poo poo. He is incredibly competitive, as you have to be if you want to be in his position, but I don't agree with portraying him as some sort of rabid animal. That being said he should show more discretion in future.

Yea, I get that it’s sort of a bad look but given all of the poo poo that happens during plays Aaron Donald grabbing a guy by the neck doesn’t really rate my ire. He’s not roadhousing dudes and trying to tear their throat out.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Brady dropped out of the Pro Bowl due to "injury" and Stafford is going to the Superb Owl, so Russell Wilson is going to the Pro Bowl. What an... honor?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Lifespan posted:

Brady dropped out of the Pro Bowl due to "injury" and Stafford is going to the Superb Owl, so Russell Wilson is going to the Pro Bowl. What an... honor?

Hall of Fame voters will love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Lifespan posted:

Maybe he's returned to form by now, and will wow some GM into making a good trade offer? I know what the team has said in public, but everyone has a price.