Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

rarbatrol posted:

How blip's flipper works is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzZufNCXaeE

They push a spinning flywheel into a clutch using a pair of what looks like hand-made solenoids, which begins twisting a synthetic fiber cord. The cord acts as a continuously variable transmission, so it starts out with very little force but ramps up as it continues to twist and shorten in length, which probably goes a long way toward not destroying itself. The cord pulls a sliding assembly inward, and that interfaces with the flipping arm with gear teeth. Springs pull everything back into firing position after the flywheel has lost its momentum.

One of the Mad Catter people tried to build a flywheel hammerbot once and he quickly realized that was a terrible idea

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Bonus fight is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4Z4MgC8JE

this is the most surgical win I've seen. they called their shot and did exactly that.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I remember Rampage losing like that in bounty hunters or something. Seems like the first thing you'd fix when you come back, but then again Bombshell never did the 3 point test on their designs either.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

NightGyr posted:

Bonus fight is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4Z4MgC8JE

this is the most surgical win I've seen. they called their shot and did exactly that.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
It boggles my mind that someone who hasn't been alive as long as robot combat has been around would not know to build a bot that can either right itself or is invertible.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
a lot of the time when your opponent is down they don't go for the horse-beating is because they don't want to unnecessarily wear down their own bot. we all remember when tombstone tried and spewed its guts everywhere.

speaking of tombstone, drat they're still really down on reliability. it wasn't too long ago when they were in their minotaur match or their witch doctor fight and were taking blow after blow.

also, sawblaze is so much fun. it's so cool to see visible and consequential damage on some of its opponents when they can't spare the armor for the top. too often in matches it's massive blows on the overarmored front/back and then the bot fails when some internal component dislodges. with sawblaze, something visibly gets cut and hosed up. upgrading their saw was the best thing they ever did.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

logikv9 posted:

a lot of the time when your opponent is down they don't go for the horse-beating is because they don't want to unnecessarily wear down their own bot. we all remember when tombstone tried and spewed its guts everywhere.

speaking of tombstone, drat they're still really down on reliability. it wasn't too long ago when they were in their minotaur match or their witch doctor fight and were taking blow after blow.

also, sawblaze is so much fun. it's so cool to see visible and consequential damage on some of its opponents when they can't spare the armor for the top. too often in matches it's massive blows on the overarmored front/back and then the bot fails when some internal component dislodges. with sawblaze, something visibly gets cut and hosed up. upgrading their saw was the best thing they ever did.

they've had the most actually visible improvement from season to season, more than any other bot. one of their biggest problems used to be how much they would wheelie, and the issues that would cause in the ground game.

given that they've scored high profile (and pretty dominant) wins over whiplash, witch doctor, and minotaur, and their general reliability, i'm heavy on them to get at least to the semis if not win outright.

i was a huge SOB/TDD fan back in the day and to see someone take that design and also make it actually destructive is cool as hell

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Sawblaze could actually get improved even more by ditching their flamethrower, but I hope they don't because green flames are good.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sawblaze is important as the only sawbot that was ever worth a drat, much like Beta is important as the only non-lovely hammer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sawblaze is going to usher in a fork meta that we will all be sick with in a season

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Madurai posted:

Sawblaze is important as the only sawbot that was ever worth a drat, much like Beta is important as the only non-lovely hammer.

Scorpios and Shatter are pretty effective, though

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Madurai posted:

much like Beta is important as the only non-lovely hammer.

Extremely generous to call Beta a non-lovely hammer when they steadfastly refused to hammer things in multiple fights last season. Absolute loving coward of a team.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Betas builder doesn't like playing the low ground game and it shows. Betas wedge is terrible, which is no good for a control bot.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Extremely generous to call Beta a non-lovely hammer when they steadfastly refused to hammer things in multiple fights last season. Absolute loving coward of a team.

Beta's deficiencies in the automotive and crew areas aren't reflective of the fact that when they do hammer something, the hammer actually does something. Shatter is a marvelous work of engineering, but the hammer it has is as purely decorative as Duck's lifter.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
beta's big fat hammer is as deadly as it is fragile, definitely need to be selective when using it because the other team is just waiting to bash it off. although i think they were a little too selective last time

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Madurai posted:

Beta's deficiencies in the automotive and crew areas aren't reflective of the fact that when they do hammer something, the hammer actually does something. Shatter is a marvelous work of engineering, but the hammer it has is as purely decorative as Duck's lifter.

Nah, Shatter's hammer isn't decorative, it's actually pretty good at penetrating medium weight armor, it just has to hit something important to be useful. Beta doesn't have that limitation, but can't penetrate well designed armor. At that point you are just hoping something shakes loose.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

sweet geek swag posted:

Nah, Shatter's hammer isn't decorative, it's actually pretty good at penetrating medium weight armor, it just has to hit something important to be useful. Beta doesn't have that limitation, but can't penetrate well designed armor. At that point you are just hoping something shakes loose.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

One of the Mad Catter people tried to build a flywheel hammerbot once and he quickly realized that was a terrible idea

Lol

That's the core problem with hammers. The strongest weapons let you add potential energy over time, particularly with spinners. With most styles of hammer, you're limited to whatever energy you can get from a gas cylinder or a quick pulse of an electric motor. I think hydra and it's flipper get around this a little bit since they've got an active pump to keep pressure.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 1, 2022

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

rarbatrol posted:

That's the core problem with hammers. The strongest weapons let you add potential energy over time, particularly with spinners. With most styles of hammer, you're limited to whatever energy you can get from a gas cylinder or a quick pulse of an electric motor. I think hydra and it's flipper get around this a little bit since they've got an active pump to keep pressure.

Yeah, Hydra's big innovation was integrating a hydraulic pump powerful enough to get the big flips. It's a completely different beast from old pneumatic flippers like Bronco. Hydra can flip all day, which allows it to compete in a meta that centers around sturdy bots.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Here's an interesting video on how Shatter's wheels work, which gives you some insight into just how finicky and impractical and awesome they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noqBUEgyQ8A

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

All the mirror matches this week

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Gruff is one of the bots that really looks heavy but I know it's the same weight class as everything else

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Interesting that the just paired up a bunch of similar bots all in 1 night... Kind of sucks for Hydra to go up against a bot that's really hard to knock out when they are already down 0-1... Should be interesting having 2 full body spinners face off, not sure they've really had that matchup before.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Thirty second game of pinball before shrederator shrederates itself

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Hell yeah, real life Beyblade battle!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, that main event is gonna be awesome

I think End Game has the edge because they added those forks. Andrea from Witch Doctor said in that Q&A someone posted that they had a forked configuration but were pretty opposed to forks in general.

:fork: meta

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 2, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Should be an interesting fight with End Game and Witch Doctor. I feel like End Game has been far more reliable though and will likely take the match. But Witch Doctor seems like it's the faster bot and if their weapon doesn't die should be able to get some good hits...

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah, Hydra's big innovation was integrating a hydraulic pump powerful enough to get the big flips. It's a completely different beast from old pneumatic flippers like Bronco. Hydra can flip all day, which allows it to compete in a meta that centers around sturdy bots.

Hydra also added a hydraulic accumulator to speed it up and save their motor and pump.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Fight spoiler chat:

holy poo poo, uppercut hates flamethrowers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can't watch live tonight so I guess I'll get Discovery+.

Apparently, they give a 7-day free trial even if you're not a new customer, which is very dumb of them!

Free Shipping v. Uppercut: The schedulers knew what they wanted and got it. I assume anyone with a flamethrower will draw Uppercut until the end of Battlebots.

Shatter v. Blacksmith: Hammers still don't do much huh?

P1 v. Jaeger: :lol: at how useless multibots are. The wedge actually high-centered P1 and gave the real bots like 20 seconds of free fire at P1, and neither one of them did poo poo.

Hydra v. Gruff: Great to see Hydra back in fighting form. And they won in a way I thought was no longer possible because of exactly what happens in this fight -- an uncontrolled flame going off near the box wall. I thought they got rid of the arena outs this season?

Shredderator v. Gigabyte: Same ol' sorry rear end Shredderator

Duck v. Dragon Slayer: Pretty impressive for a rookie! Coulda worked better, but still

Witch Doctor v. End Game: Pretty good fight, but didn't really live up to my hype. End Game having beat Hydra and Witch Doctor now leaves you wondering who could stop them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Uppercut good lord :stare:

And there's the classic Shred :haw:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 4, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Oh Shred. If they know they keep having issues with their radios why don't they use different radios?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

End Game is so ugly and boring. I'm praying they don't win again.

Pretty bad episode overall. A lot of boring fights where a bunch of bots just weren't working properly. Free Shipping vs. Uppercut was the only decent fight.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 5, 2022

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

P1 v. Jaeger: :lol: at how useless multibots are. The wedge actually high-centered P1 and gave the real bots like 20 seconds of free fire at P1, and neither one of them did poo poo.

If they’d actually gone after P1’s wheels while it was high centered they might’ve had a chance. Instead they waited too long and when they did go for a hit, they smashed the poo poo outta their own bot instead.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Team duck should be banned for making such a boring piece of poo poo.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I think of Duck like I think of the stax archetype in Magic the Gathering, which is not good. Like, I get the value of a control build but it can be done without being so dang boring. Even the thing's aesthetic design is boring.

Remember that weird control bot from years ago that had the lid to an entire sandbox attached to it? It would put the ladybug-shaped dome over opponents and I think there was a vert spinner on the inside that would (theoretically) damage the opponent all the while. It had limited success but, like, iterate on that! These control bots without weapons and what a Magic player would call a "win condition" are just not going to win on points. Control isn't worth enough points, and you're not going to score damage or aggression points without a functional weapon. I genuinely wonder if Duck has ever won a match without their opponent burning out or knocking themselves out somehow.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^ Tentamoochi or something like that. The builder is one of the judging panel now.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Railing Kill posted:

I think of Duck like I think of the stax archetype in Magic the Gathering, which is not good. Like, I get the value of a control build but it can be done without being so dang boring. Even the thing's aesthetic design is boring.

Remember that weird control bot from years ago that had the lid to an entire sandbox attached to it? It would put the ladybug-shaped dome over opponents and I think there was a vert spinner on the inside that would (theoretically) damage the opponent all the while. It had limited success but, like, iterate on that! These control bots without weapons and what a Magic player would call a "win condition" are just not going to win on points. Control isn't worth enough points, and you're not going to score damage or aggression points without a functional weapon. I genuinely wonder if Duck has ever won a match without their opponent burning out or knocking themselves out somehow.

I think anything that blocks or interferes with the other person driving is banned now. They should loosen that hard though. Add chaff and chains, tangle the other person up, box em in, who cares?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

PostNouveau posted:

^^^ Tentamoochi or something like that. The builder is one of the judging panel now.
Tentomushi, which unsurprisingly is Japanese for ladybug!

I've liked Duck in seasons past but this season's version seems like a clear downgrade, that lifter is just... so limp and seems to just make the front weaker.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Sammus posted:

If they’d actually gone after P1’s wheels while it was high centered they might’ve had a chance. Instead they waited too long and when they did go for a hit, they smashed the poo poo outta their own bot instead.

Completely rookie team probably has a lot to figure out, the concept shouldn't be abandoned. Weight bonus should happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Holy poo poo P1's win was hilarious