Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Finally, that Oni sequel everyone was wanting can become reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

There's a desktop???

Turn on your monitor

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao this is dumb

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoever wins, we lose.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looking forward to Bungie buying themselves back in 2029

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
but really though please quarantine Destiny to play stations tia

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oni 2...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sony bought bungie to just keep making the same game and only game they've had for the last decade, and it'll still be on all platforms

who cares

the funniest thing is bungie will probably continue to vault entire campaigns and be like "sowwy we're just a widdle guy we can't handle all the data!!!"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Oni and Myth IPs are held by Take 2 Interactive right now, maybe Sony can buy them too and smush the companies back together

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

the funniest thing is bungie will probably continue to vault entire campaigns and be like "sowwy we're just a widdle guy we can't handle all the data!!!"

This is easiest the dumbest thing Bungie has done. They have the resources to put all of the campaigns and locations from Destiny 1, and Destiny 2 into one single game. They need to just bite the bullet and actually do it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It’s amusing to me that Sony and Microsoft spend untold billions to strengthen their ecosystem, and Nintendo just laughs their way to the bank with once in a blue moon purchases of companies like Next Level Games.

I have a feeling the Activision-Blizzard and Bungie acquisitions will have as much benefit as Microsoft’s Rare acquisition has been. In other words, maybe some good titles here and there, but not what they used to be during their prime.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

This is easiest the dumbest thing Bungie has done. They have the resources to put all of the campaigns and locations from Destiny 1, and Destiny 2 into one single game. They need to just bite the bullet and actually do it.

what do you want them to do, let you just download the parts seperately? no. they must be culled forever to keep the install size down.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Me, an idiot: Sony should fund mid-sized studios to create quality passion projects diversifying the types of games available for their console.

A super genius with 2 billionar dollars: "let's buy this bloated studio that hasn't released a good game since 2007!"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Turn on your monitor

Well would you look at that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Me, an idiot: Sony should fund mid-sized studios to create quality passion projects diversifying the types of games available for their console.

A super genius with 2 billionar dollars: "let's buy this bloated studio that hasn't released a good game since 2007!"

destiny 2 forsaken was incredibly, fantastically good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Forsaken was really good and a lot of fun. I stopped playing a bit after that and I'll probably never get back into it but Forsaken ruled.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my friends and I played a ton of Destiny 1 and were all excited for 2 and fell off as soon as we finished the main campaign. I don't think we made more than a few tries at the first raid

I returned to it recently on Game Pass to see what it's like and it's unrecognizable under all the f2p stuff. it was inundating

I would love a return to what's good about the game if they have the financial backing to just make one instead of a platform for sucking money out of whale wallets

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Oni had a cheat code that let you play as any enemy in the game including the bosses i think and they all had their own movesets it was v cool

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Forsaken ruled but it was also developed with significant outside assistance, Activision assigned two other studios to help. Once they lost those two studios they found themselves with a game that was too big to handle on their own and that's one of the big reasons they removed a bunch of content

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

Forsaken ruled but it was also developed with significant outside assistance, Activision assigned two other studios to help. Once they lost those two studios they found themselves with a game that was too big to handle on their own and that's one of the big reasons they removed a bunch of content

they removed it because they can sell it back again later, as is their stated intent lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

I really don't buy that they had to do this. Games like Warframe are much bigger and never have to have content removed. Destiny 2 is a pretty small game even if you were to put all of the content back in. It's all still there anyways hidden away in the game files, you just can't access it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Am I seeing things or does Cloud have a fox tail and ears in this?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Am I seeing things or does Cloud have a fox tail and ears in this?

canon

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fox McCloud

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What’s the point of buying these studios and keeping them multi-platform?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

All of the real money is made on the micro-transactions. Sony will get a cut of that profit which is going to be billions of dollars a year.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

punk rebel ecks posted:

being multi-platform doesn't impact how much of a cut of revenue they get still

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
See now Microsoft will look like the assholes if their future Bethesda stuff isn't multi-platform.

It's the Goodwill Wars.

Edit: This is assuming all Bungie stuff continues to be multi-platform in the future, including Xbox consoles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
mutually assured catalog destruction

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Selling a box isn’t as much of a moneymaker as getting all the micro transaction cash. Most regular people just buy one or two games a year and a whole bunch of hats and trinkets to show off to their friends

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And when everything is exclusive...

Nothing will be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

See now Microsoft will look like the assholes if their future Bethesda stuff isn't multi-platform.

It's the Goodwill Wars.

Edit: This is assuming all Bungie stuff continues to be multi-platform in the future, including Xbox consoles.

This is pretty much assured. Their biggest games, Starfield, and Elder Scrolls VI, were already confirmed Xbox exclusive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

Selling a box isn’t as much of a moneymaker as getting all the micro transaction cash. Most regular people just buy one or two games a year and a whole bunch of hats and trinkets to show off to their friends

Yeah this, the real money has been in micro-transactions for awhile now, publishers are just now starting to really find ways to take advantage of that.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I said come in! posted:

Yeah this, the real money has been in micro-transactions for awhile now, publishers are just now starting to really find ways to take advantage of that.

the future sucks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whizzing Wizard posted:

the future sucks

It seriously does, especially with more and more developers insisting that NFT is the future.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can always reject modernity and embrace retro hardware

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

this is a problem because the rampant speculationism that's crept into retro gaming is kind of a different symptom of the whole NFT craze

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

This made up like 50 - 60% of my gaming in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If Sony really wants to make something worthwhile they can re-release their 1440p Trinitron CRT monitors so I don't have to pay $3000 on eBay for one!