Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sony and Microsoft in an arms race

Nintendo still doing it's thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Destiny 2 is releasing a new expansion in a few weeks and they've got an unannounced IP they've been working on for 3+ years.

Also they only split off from being owned by Activision in 2019. They were also something Microsoft had tried to buy a bunch of times. poo poo's weird.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

They bought themself out of Activision because I guess they smelt something rotten in the state of Denmark and it wasn’t the cheese and now it is public knowledge.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Timby posted:

I mean, this isn't exactly huge, I think. What's the last thing Bungie actually released, Destiny? And that has to be, what, seven or eight years old?

They make a lot of money with DLC. They haven't had to release a new game because they just charge money for DLC over and over and over and over and ...

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
How good is Crusader Kings 3, I got a new laptop coming

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

So good.

A lot easier to play too.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

FizFashizzle posted:

I have a friend who was involved in the planning of that.

She says everyone was high fiving and laughing their rear end off until all the present turner executives showed up at their door and had a very long all hands on deck meeting.

Oral histories are overrated but I’d love to see a long one on that whole debacle

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

GD_American posted:

Oral histories are overrated but I’d love to see a long one on that whole debacle

This post is also about Crusader Kings.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
This thread convinced me to ask for a significant raise/promotion and I just got word it went through today. 10% boost and double the EIP% bonus. Also my boss was good enough to register it as off-cycle so I am still eligible for the normal yearly bump.

So yeah, thanks thread, for giving me the motivation.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Quiet Feet posted:

This post is also about Crusader Kings.

Well there's this thing about someone who goes in depth in how they made a Horse Empress of a restored Roman Empire:

https://imgur.com/a/K1utf

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This thread convinced me to ask for a significant raise/promotion and I just got word it went through today. 10% boost and double the EIP% bonus. Also my boss was good enough to register it as off-cycle so I am still eligible for the normal yearly bump.

That’s a big dump! Congratulations my friend!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Hell yeah!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Pron on VHS posted:

its incredible

Salvor_Hardin posted:

congrats.

ive had the opposite reaction from my ceo, a hard no and even more work responsibilities on top of the 3 different jobs im already covering by myself. i applied to like 40 jobs in the last few days bc gently caress this poo poo. this is what i get for rolling the dice on a startup run by a tech guy, he's just 100% full of poo poo on everything he promised

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Well there's this thing about someone who goes in depth in how they made a Horse Empress of a restored Roman Empire:

https://imgur.com/a/K1utf

:stare:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

There's also an event chain (though I think you need one of the expansions) where you can summon Cthulhu.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this is what i get for rolling the dice on a startup run by a tech guy, he's just 100% full of poo poo on everything he promised

*extremely sarcastically* whaaat? no wayyy

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

*extremely sarcastically* whaaat? no wayyy

yep. i just really needed a solid job after 2020 and wanted to stay in cannabis bc its a fun industry. at the time i figured he'd gently caress me over on compensation stuff but i think i was taken off guard how much he's having me run with zero assistance or additional compensation.

im the sole person in charge of getting our final license, setting up all of our manufacturing operations, building all our COGs, sourcing every single thing in the facility, setting up a production system, managing construction on this facility and the next one, running security, providing all of our required reporting to the state and the town, etc

im very tired. i took a sick day today after having to move 40 pallets in the frigid cold last week (our ceo did a handshake deal on our storage space after i told him not to and shocker it fell apart at the worst possible time) so everyone's just messaging me nonstop anyway and moved all the meetings to tomorrow bc im the only one besides the finance director who knows anything

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

sounds like you should be the ceo

e: or get a new job

e2: i think im gonna try smoking reefer again

e3: im rooting for ya buddy

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

sounds like you should be the ceo

e: or get a new job

e2: i think im gonna try smoking reefer again

e3: im rooting for ya buddy

ive thought about launching my own cannabis company, i do a lot of our product development too (which i genuinely love) but im so loving tired its hard to imagine doing more hyper stressful poo poo right now.

just want a simple remote job where i can work normal hours and have time for my own side projects

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I definitely pissed off the COO but now the CEO is on my side and wants to see small quality of life feature updates come down the development pipeline instead of focusing purely on large-scale feature updates. :dance:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

ive thought about launching my own cannabis company, i do a lot of our product development too (which i genuinely love) but im so loving tired its hard to imagine doing more hyper stressful poo poo right now.

just want a simple remote job where i can work normal hours and have time for my own side projects

simple remote job sounds so good.

older I get the more I just want less stress.

God, and working less than 40 hours a week sounds so good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Honestly doesn't move the needle much since really the only IP they have right now is Destiny?

The only thing I really see swinging things is if someone buys Square Enix.

Edit: in the Sony News release, they said they're allowing Bungie to remain an independent studio and can publish to other platforms if they want.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 31, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Working on contract sucks, quite a bit, but one nice thing is that my boss almost never authorizes overtime, so I get to have a solid 40-hour week, and if I do have to work overtime, it's $60 an hour. Fuckin' A.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

yep. i just really needed a solid job after 2020 and wanted to stay in cannabis bc its a fun industry. at the time i figured he'd gently caress me over on compensation stuff but i think i was taken off guard how much he's having me run with zero assistance or additional compensation.

im the sole person in charge of getting our final license, setting up all of our manufacturing operations, building all our COGs, sourcing every single thing in the facility, setting up a production system, managing construction on this facility and the next one, running security, providing all of our required reporting to the state and the town, etc

im very tired. i took a sick day today after having to move 40 pallets in the frigid cold last week (our ceo did a handshake deal on our storage space after i told him not to and shocker it fell apart at the worst possible time) so everyone's just messaging me nonstop anyway and moved all the meetings to tomorrow bc im the only one besides the finance director who knows anything

This sounds like it sucks big time. If you're in a position where you don't absolutely have to have a job for a couple months, you could always quit and see what the CEO does then. Good luck on the job search.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

simple remote job sounds so good.

older I get the more I just want less stress.

amen. working in general blows, but just pay me a reasonable wage and let me work from home. ill still make the rich people richer, ill just be less miserable in the process.

Bird in a Blender posted:

This sounds like it sucks big time. If you're in a position where you don't absolutely have to have a job for a couple months, you could always quit and see what the CEO does then. Good luck on the job search.

im about 6 weeks away from being able to do this so its a race between my mental health, other job options, and my bank acct to see what gives first

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Welp, girlfriend has covid and we spent the night together over the weekend. She also probably had Covid at her grandpa's funeral on Saturday, so she has a lot of phone calls to make.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Winding down the first day of my new job and it is so far just a far better ran situation. My first day was a nightmare in my previous job. I did take a risk on this new job but it came with a great pay raise so I'm hoping it will work out.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

That sucks dude, your work scope there is insane, especially if it includes physically unloading pallets to boot. Ultimatum time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

AND it's cannabis? man, might as well have bent over on your first day :v:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Dammit I just lost a tutoring gig I have had for a few weeks that paid really well because they want a female tutor for their daughter. Well jokes on them everyone knows women suck at math, if they didn't your daughter wouldn't need a tutor.

I don't really think that, just salty about losing a gig especially when I already pulled her up a full letter grade and did more work than her actual teacher on developing lesson plans...

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Is it possible they want a female tutor because of puberty/sex ed talk? Can you flex your medical background here (awkward phrasing because I'm 90% sure you're a doctor but can't quite remember)?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I was tutoring in math and chemistry, but I think its because the parents are religious (kid is in private christian school) and probably couldn't find a female tutor until now.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Calmly explain to them that gender is a construct.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Calmly explain to them that gender is a construct. read them the letters between Peter Abelard and Heloise in an increasingly breathy voice

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Glumslinger posted:

Welp, girlfriend has covid and we spent the night together over the weekend. She also probably had Covid at her grandpa's funeral on Saturday, so she has a lot of phone calls to make.

High five close contact buddy! I went with my kid and parents to Seattle this weekend, literally the first trip in 2 years that’s not camping, and my kid started feeling crummy on the way back yesterday, this morning’s home test for her was positive. So, technically I haven’t gotten my test results back yet but I’m going on the assumption I’m positive. I’ve thankfully never had to call partners about a potential STI exposure but I feel this morning’s texts to my college buddy sure gave me a preview.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://twitter.com/Srirachachau/status/1488231205082337280?s=20&t=ZbRj12X9k4XIB7gKHjNJCQ

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So you're saying it's gotten worse? :v:

Get out of there man.

I would've guessed like 7 years ago... But of course it had to be when Bush was still in office. Ahhhhh

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

Destiny 2 is releasing a new expansion in a few weeks and they've got an unannounced IP they've been working on for 3+ years.

Also they only split off from being owned by Activision in 2019. They were also something Microsoft had tried to buy a bunch of times. poo poo's weird.

Destiny still makes them about 230 million per year. So while it's not a juggernaut like FF etc in terms of player numbers it's still a pretty decent earner. I think this is something of a planning for the future since their new IP is slated for release in 2025.

Exactly what that new IP is no one really knows but when it comes to looter shooters its still kind of Destiny and Borderlands and then everything else - a lot of which were dead on arrival. I would assume it's something similar because even though mechanically destiny is pretty stunted it does have that secret sauce in the gun feel and player retention. Their biggest limits have been the engine for much of d2 so it could be just the next iteration but I've heard rumours of an arena hero shooter trying to be the next overwatch.

I think if nothing else this gives Sony a studio it can get behind if times get lean with a proven earnings record which is kind of important when everything else is being bought up.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

BREAKING NEWS: Sony has bought Ion Storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Samadhi posted:

BREAKING NEWS: Sony has bought Ion Storm

Sony about to make Microsoft their bitch. Suck it down.