Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game was the best?
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat 2
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also Tabloid may not be speaking literally when he said "threw a rock," implying one rock, but probably metaphorically causing unrest and protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Edit: WHoops, wrong thread.

Uh... Tabloid sucks yeah.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread, you hero.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Tabloid may not be speaking literally when he said "threw a rock," implying one rock, but probably metaphorically causing unrest and protest.
If I have point out a theme to this game (and as a practical matter, to the entire series) it's about deception, whether to your enemies, to your allies or even to yourself. Pretty much no one's word except Avril should be taken at face value, and only Avril because the game takes pains to show us she's being truthful. Tabloid might be giving a whitewash of his actions to advance his "nations are tyranny" agenda and the rock he threw started a riot that injured a bunch of people; he could be lying to himself because he threw a Molotov and burnt an orphanage to the ground. I don't know if we'll ever find out, but the most shocking thing would be that he did precisely what he said he did and no more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, he also has kind of a flippant tone about it, further suggesting that he's downplaying what he did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gothsheep posted:

Tabloid getting thrown in prison for 'throwing a rock and shouting that wars happen because countries exist' may seem a little excessive, but it kind of makes sense if you remember that it was basically the slogan of a group that tried to blow up the world like, 3 times. I always thought it was akin to Germany arresting people for shouting Nazi slogans. Like, was that guy in particular really a treat? Probably not. Is that idea a dangerous one? Yeah, motherfuckers nearly blew us all up shouting that.

Also, I'm surprised you haven't talked more about Erusea disguising their drones as civilian cargo containers for their sneak attack. Because that is straight-up a warcrime.

Oh, believe me, we will have MUCH more to talk about on the false flag drone front coming up after this next mission.

kw0134 posted:

If I have point out a theme to this game (and as a practical matter, to the entire series) it's about deception, whether to your enemies, to your allies or even to yourself. Pretty much no one's word except Avril should be taken at face value, and only Avril because the game takes pains to show us she's being truthful. Tabloid might be giving a whitewash of his actions to advance his "nations are tyranny" agenda and the rock he threw started a riot that injured a bunch of people; he could be lying to himself because he threw a Molotov and burnt an orphanage to the ground. I don't know if we'll ever find out, but the most shocking thing would be that he did precisely what he said he did and no more.

I'd even say that Avril's word is suspect at times. Yes, she's the most outwardly truthful of all the characters in the game, but she's also operating on incomplete information, which skews her outlook on certain things. Like how she blames Harling for her father's death, when we all know that by that point in the war, Harling was kidnapped by the Belkans and had no control over the war or who lived and who died at that point. So I'd say it's less about deception and more about information disparity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Faceless Soldier

Mission 9: Operation Flush – July 27th, 2019 | NO COMM

Overview: The dwindling survivors of the 444th Air Base’s Spare Squadron are sent to the Waiapolo Mountains to destroy an advanced Erusean radar-satellite hybrid anti-air array currently blanketing the mountain range. In order to reach the radar sites atop the mountains, the irregulars will have to approach under cloud cover to avoid detection from the satellites overhead.

Guest Commentator: I am joined for this mission by FPzero. In addition to recently wrapping up a LP of Metroid Fusion with previous guest Faerie Fortune, FP is also my boss of sorts on the Fire Emblem romhack “Awful Emblem” currently being developed by several FE goons and built on the Fire Emblem 8 engine for the GBA. If this sounds even remotely interesting to you, you can find the Complete Act 1 Demo available for download here.

WAIAPOLO MOUNTAINS

The Waiapolo mountains form the spine of central Usea. Some of the highest peaks on the continent can be found in this mountain range which stretches all the way across Usea right into Erusean territory and runs across the borders of multiple Usean states including San Salvacion and Delarus.

Since the outbreak of the Lighthouse War, the Kingdom of Erusea has established a number of anti-air radar sites in the mountains as a part of their air defense barrier to cut off eastern Usea from the space elevator. Using hacked geosynchronous satellites in tandem with the radar network and auto-fire surface-to-air missile launches, the mountain range has become a death trap for all but the most skilled of pilots.

Because of the low survivability estimate of a mission to destroy the radar network, OADF command has recommended the 444th Air Base squadron’s deployment in lieu of any regular forces.

HELIOS

A next-generation burst missile of incredible power utilized by the Kingdom of Erusea.

Capable of being deployed over the horizon on a cruise missile platform, Helios burst missiles are launched from the refitted Arsenal Birds currently under Erusean control. A currently unknown accelerant is utilized to create a massive fireball and shockwave capable of incinerating or pulverizing anything within a wide blast radius. The explosion generates such intense heat that the fireball it produces burns bright blue instead of orange.

Several encounters with Helios projectiles have been recorded prior to Operation Flush, but not in an active deployment capacity. Intelligence suggests that the Erusean military was transporting Helios projectiles from Scofileds Plateau to the SSTO mass driver facility at Tyler Island during Operation Eastern Wind. And several of the fuel tanker trucks which attempted to evacuate from Artiglio Port into the Inessa 2 dust storm during Operation Three of a Kind are now confirmed to have been transporting materials utilized in the construction of Helios warheads.

The origin of the Helios missiles is currently unknown. Bandog’s ignorance of what the missiles were prior to the intel update from OADF Command strongly suggests the weapons are not Osean in origin, nor does Erusea appear to have the capacity to manufacture such a powerful warhead on their own at present.

FACELESS SOLDIER

The title track of the mission, “Faceless Soldier,” is heard during the second half of the operation during the encounter with the Erusean F/A-18F drone fighters. Sung by Noriyuki Konishi, the piece is the first of several tracks in the game with a full vocal accompaniment. It was even used in the first gameplay and story announcement trailers for the game.

The lyrics, written in Latin, have been pieced together by the Reddit user AceCombatEnthusiast. Unlike in previous soundtracks, Project ACES did not include any lyrics or translations of lyrics used in any of the songs on the Skies Unknown soundtrack and all attempts by fans to request the official lyrics or music sheets have been met with radio silence from Kazutoki Kono, Keiki Kobayashi, or the other members of the Namco Sound Team, so the versions that exist for each song are best guess estimates put together with the help of people who can speak Latin and French.

quote:

FACELESS SOLDIER (Latin)

O terra aeterna qua pulcher sol matutinus oritur

O calida lux quae regulat matutinam quietem, dormientem illuminat

O terra aeterna

O caelum nostrum

O terra aeterna qua pulcher sol matutinus oritur

O calida lux quae regulat matutinam...

quote:

FACELESS SOLDIER (English)

Oh eternal land where the noble morning sun rises

Oh warm light which sets the morning hush, illuminate the sleeping ones

Oh eternal land

Oh heaven of ours

Oh eternal land where the noble sun rises

Oh warm light which sets the morning hush...

The faceless soldier is of course the distillation of an Ace Combat protagonist. No name, no face, no voice, just a blank canvas in a fighter jet. A living weapon, nothing more. Whatever story they have outside of what the game presents directly is yours to write for them if you’re so inclined.

INTO THE UNKNOWN

Mission 9 is where a lot of masks start dropping off.

The encounter with the Erusean F/A-18F drones after the mission update is extremely enlightening on a number of fronts. First of all, it reveals that Erusea has begun doing outright false flag attacks. The veneer of ambiguity covering their rear end with the container-launched drones has now been ripped off so hard it’s left burn marks on the skin. This is a 100% blatant, will-get-you-prosecuted-at-The-Hauge war crime.

Erusea is deploying remote operated, possibly even autonomous aircraft into combat zones that are flying under Osean colours and squawking Osean military IFF transponder codes to appear as friendly to any actual OADF aircraft in a combat zone explicitly for the purpose of launching surprise attacks and created chaos on a battlefield. They achieve this by turning Osea’s allegedly perfect IFF system, the one boasted about so proudly by Knocker in Mission 2, against them. Again, this a false flag operation and a straight up war crime committed by Erusea.

Whatever pretensions the Eruseans had to a “clean war” doctrine are now fully out the window as of this mission. This is basically the dirtiest trick one can pull in war outside of intentionally bombing civilians, topped only by using a false flag operation to bomb civilians.

This ultimately means two things now: the Eruseans are capable of fielding planes that can flawlessly pass as Osean fighters into any theater of war at any time now for any reason, and as of this moment the entire Osean IFF system is effectively useless. Had things gone just a little different, the engagement at Waiapolo would have been a “Blue-On-Blue” massacre, one nobody would have any way of explaining.

So this begs the question, just how long have the Eruseans been able to do this? Because if you go back and check out the closing minute of Mission 4 (not my footage of it, I didn’t get it on camera), something that’s easily noticeable is a strange F/A-18F Hornet that begins shadowing Trigger as he approaches Mother Goose One. That same mysterious Hornet then flies past Trigger after the killshot on Mother Goose One is fired and is the plane reports the Blue-On-Blue attack and points the finger at Trigger.

And fully automated or remote control fighter planes are something we’ve seen before in Strangereal, going all the way back to the late 90s in Ace Combat 2/Assault Horizon Legacy. The Zone of Endless fighters were all unmanned and driven by AI, and an F/A-18E was among their ranks.

Has Erusea fallen into the possession of that same technology? Gee, I wonder if there’s a creepy scientist working on an AI fighter pilot program at the behest of the Erusean government whom we can ask about that?

STICK WITH TRIGGER AND YOU’LL MAKE IT

The growing theme of the last couple of missions crystallizes here in Faceless Soldier, “Stick with Trigger and you’ll make it.”

It was first picked up on by Tabloid in First Contact that staying glued to Trigger as close as possible was a one way ticket to making it home alive and in one piece. Full Band puts the theory to the test in Pipeline Destruction and it works like a charm. And here in Faceless Soldier, it’s Tabloid who once again comes up with the winning strategy, and this time gets the whole squadron in on it, purely to save their lives.

From here onward, it is going to be a thing both subtle and blatant that people who follow Trigger’s lead will walk away from battle alive, while those who break off on their own for whatever reason and take another path are as good as dead. The DLC is one long, slow analysis of this, but I won’t be spoiling anything about it just yet because we’re a long ways off from there yet.

Regardless, as of this mission, Trigger has now popped up on the radar of multiple factions within the Osean Department of Defense and intelligence community. The Osean Intelligence Agency suspects he may be a “singularity,” and thrown its weight behind the blanket pardon of all 444th pilots as of the successful completion of Operation Flush.

CASUALTIES

Bandog did nothing wrong.

I’m serious. Full Band confessed on an open radio channel to treason against the Osean Federation and was in jeopardy of implicating every one of Spare Squadron’s remaining pilots, including Bandog himself. He had already verbally hosed himself into an open-and-shut death penalty conviction, Bandog simply saw to it that the sentence was merely expedited, just a tiny bit extra-judiciously and using Count as the impromptu headsman. People have cited Bandog’s growing respect for Trigger, and to a lesser extent the non-shithead pilots of the 444th, and from a certain point of view this is perhaps the ultimate expression of that respect. He was willing to murder a dude in cold blood who was about to get everyone else on the team executed as accessories to treason, Trigger included.

But let’s back up a tiny bit. How did this happen? Well, by immense coincidence, Full Band flew the same type of plane as the Erusean false flag drones that jumped Spare Squadron. The other 444th pilots are heard on the radio during the initial panic when the drones attack saying that craft type and markings weren’t going to be enough to discern friend from foe. This gives the thinnest layer of credibility to Bandog’s claim that Full Band being tagged hostile was an accident.

When the rest of Spare Squadron forms up around Trigger so that Bandog can reset everyone’s IFF tags, he very pointedly asks for Full Band’s location. To which Full Band, like an unsuspecting idiot, announces as “the tail end!” This allows Bandog to keep a close watch over Full Band for the duration of the engagement and then tag him as hostile at the opportune moment and then direct Count to go in for the kill.

Thus Full Band dies like the ignorant son of a bitch he is, and Count is left traumatized at being used as an unwitting murder weapon. This event adds a heavy level of irony to Count and Trigger’s relationship going forward. Up to this point, whenever Count would address Trigger directly, it would usually just be as “Murderer”. He had near-zero respect for Trigger, writing him off as the dirtiest con of them all at 444th.

Now we have something of an instant dramatic reversal to their situation. As Count commits the same act that Trigger was accused of doing—murdering a friendly unit through IFF fuckery—it turns out that Trigger apparently was innocent of the murder of Harling all along. This is going to be a trauma that stays with Count for a while and results in many changes for the man who looks like Chad. Chief among them, he never calls Trigger “Murderer” ever again from this point forward.

This is the start of Count’s long road to daylight and his becoming, in my opinion, the best Ace Combat series wingman character period. Ever. Full stop. After gliding along being an utter shithead for four missions, the character development rocket is all fueled up and ready for liftoff starting next mission, and it is a wild ride to say the least.

Was Full Band fridged to facilitate Count’s character development? Maybe. But Full Band was also a massive loving asswipe and he had it coming so gently caress him, I’m glad he’s dead.

Apologies to Joe Zieja.

Spider
    Hans Weber
    33, Male, First Lieutenant, Erusea
    Erusean Air Force 360th Air Division, 37th Special Squadron
  • Plane: F/A-18F Super Hornet
  • Mission 9
  • Spawn conditions: Destroy half of all the non-TGT enemies on the map. Spawns in the center of the map and flies towards the player with an equipped ECMP for stealth capability. Despawns after the mission update if not destroyed.

quote:

Captain Hans Weber

Callsign: Spider

Unit: Erusean Air Force, 10th Fighter Wing, 1st Special Squadron

July 27, 2019 - Operation Flush (Missing in Action)

Detailed information on this pilot is unavailable.

Tracks featured in Mission 9:

DISC 2

After one wild weekend, our scoreboard has been completely upended with Psycho Landlord, the runner up for the Angel Tax, taking his place at the top of the heap with a possibly insurmountable 2.5 straight days in Solitary.

Can his lead be beat? I didn’t think Jobbo’s could, but it seems like we have some close competitors all of a sudden. We might be looking at the light at the end of the tunnel for Plane Jail, but Solitary is eternal and will continue for a while yet even after we receive our presidential pardon.

• Psycho Landlord: 60h
  • Jobbo_Fett: 48h
  • Geemer: 48h
  • Waffleman_: 42h
  • Bliss Authority: 42h
  • nine-gear crow: 42h
  • Sally: 36
  • Dr. Snark: 30h
  • GhostStalker: 30h
  • Back Hack: 24h
  • Shinjobi: 24h
  • HereticMIND: 24h
  • Kal-L: 24h
  • Professor Duck: 24h
  • Crazy Achmed: 24h
  • Danaru: 24h
  • MayOrMayNotBeACat: 24h
  • Deeters: 24h
  • Serperoth: 24h
  • Triggerhappypilot: 18h
  • Cooked Auto: 18h
  • biosterous: 18h
  • Veloxyll: 18h
  • Hwurmp: 18h
  • WaltherFeng: 18h
  • Phy: 12h
  • Psion: 12h
  • Paingod556: 12h
  • loving love Fiona Apple: 12h
  • Materant: 12h
  • Kith: 12h
  • maruhkati: 6h
  • CJacobs: 6h
  • AradoBalanga: 6h
  • Carvor: 6h
  • KDavisJr: 6h
  • Gervasius: 6h
  • dervinosdoom: 6h
  • chiasaur11: 6h
  • sb hermit: 6h
  • Paingod556: 6h
  • M_Gargantua: 6h
  • Sindai: 6h
  • Seth Pecksniff: 6h
  • Serperoth: 6h
  • Gamerofthegame: 6h
  • HerTogg: 6h
  • Lynneth: 6h
  • Mathwyn: 6h
  • Mshadowy: 6h

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 17, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh, those lyrics were in latin? I just assumed they were in japanese for some reason.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd even say that Avril's word is suspect at times. Yes, she's the most outwardly truthful of all the characters in the game, but she's also operating on incomplete information, which skews her outlook on certain things. Like how she blames Harling for her father's death, when we all know that by that point in the war, Harling was kidnapped by the Belkans and had no control over the war or who lived and who died at that point. So I'd say it's less about deception and more about information disparity.
Yeah, whatever she says about her dad definitely needs to be taken as the word of a child who was deprived of her father, which understandably embitters her. In a lot of other media, the nameless soldier who covers the backs of his fellows is to be lionized, but here it is scorned by the person who bears the true cost of that sacrifice. She may not know the full story, but even if she did I doubt that it would change much about what she thinks about Osea (obviously being shot down isn't helping!) because as far as she's concerned it was a drat fool war that took her dad away. Someone has to be blamed for that whether such blame is rational or not.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Strangereal according to crow

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Strangereal according to crow

Yes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dane Cook for Ace Combat 8

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Anyway, Tabloid is my bud, and the only thing A World Without Borders did wrong in Ace Combat Zero is recruit Pixy without his wingman Like surely they could have bought Mercenary™ Cipher by diverting some of the doomsday weapon budget? They wouldn't have even needed the nukes.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I do love the fact that you can take a step back, analyze all the factors involved, and come to the conclusion that the dude who basically :commissar: your wingman was more than likely in the right to do it.

It speaks both to the strength of the writing and to how much of a total rear end in a top hat idiot Full Band was.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fun fact: This is the deadliest mission Trigger's participated in so far, with fifty percent fatalities. Which... makes sense. You start with an acknowledged suicide mission, then send in hostile drones spoofing friendly IFFs, follow it up with the deployment of an experimental superweapon, and close with a little blue on blue for flavor. Only losing five pilots under those conditions is pretty impressive.

Most of what I'd say about Bandog has been said already. He gives Full Band warning after warning, including veiled death threats, and Full Band just keeps leaking classified information. Full Band even signs his own death warrant here, with his line "In this was, intel is a life-or-death matter." drawing "...I think you might be right." Bandog's not thrilled with his decision here, but he doesn't see anything good coming from the alternatives.

And even with that on his record, Bandog comes out of this mission looking great. He quickly responds to the IFF situation once a suggestion comes up, he's able to get the positions of the incoming missiles in time to respond, and he keeps the unit informed on the timing for cloud cover. Trigger gets most of the credit for success here, and rightly so, but Bandog really pulled his weight as well. Plane Jail working this well is something we can credit him with, not McKinsey.

Speaking of McKinsey, man. What an rear end in a top hat. Him taking credit for Spare's work is par for the course here, but there's a great little bit of smaller dickery with him bringing up Count's killcount... right after Count inadvertently murdered one of his wingmen. He's just rubbing salt in the wound without even caring enough for it to be intentional. Where Bandog has redeeming qualities (including enough competence that he's probably getting a better assignment soon), McKinsey is basically designed to be a hateful rear end in a top hat from the ground up, making even the convicts look good by comparison.

As for the rear end in a top hat or lunatic chart, I'm not sure that's true. Tabloid's not much of either, and neither is Avril. That said, Trigger is definitely a lunatic.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, Bandog, stone loving cold. God drat.

Saw it coming when he asked Full Band what his position was, tho.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I actually really love that Bandog seems to actually give a poo poo about the 444th squadron here, up to and including killing Full Band. It makes the rest of the game a little more disappointing, since we more or less never see the 444th again after this.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 31, 2022

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

GhostStalker posted:

Alright, who’s the joker with their thumb on the scale in the vote? I call shenanigans!

Pretty sure it has been rigged for a while, now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finally, we get Faceless Soldier. Second best song in the game.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

We still have one more round in PLANE JAIL(tm) before we’re free.

And it can go gently caress ALL THE WAY off. You know why.

Getting to the topic of war crimes, yeah, Erusea is lucky that there isn’t any sort of international court in Strangereal, because what they just did probably violates/contravenes MULTIPLE treaties and laws. Whoever signed off on that should be found and shot. I’m being serious here; you don’t get to pull a stunt like this and expect to not have any blatant consequences.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I think Bandog tricking Count is the lovely part. I'm sure if he gave the order, someone (Trigger) would have iced Full Band. You've changed my mind on "Full Band needed to die" though.

I wish 7 had more useful wingman AI, because Count is definitely the best wingman character.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

How in the gently caress have I been probated for 60 hours in this thread

By which I mean why is it not 80

release me from this posting hell crow before I post hyperbolic rage about your approach to this mission and your choice of plane

(bandog indeed did nothing wrong whatsoever)

E can I get an F-86 this time

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

How in the gently caress have I been probated for 60 hours in this thread

By which I mean why is it not 80

release me from this posting hell crow before I post hyperbolic rage about your approach to this mission and your choice of plane

(bandog indeed did nothing wrong whatsoever)

Half of my shitposts didn't even earn me a trip to solitary. Mods are asleep at the flight stick, I guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deeters posted:

I think Bandog tricking Count is the lovely part. I'm sure if he gave the order, someone (Trigger) would have iced Full Band. You've changed my mind on "Full Band needed to die" though.

I wish 7 had more useful wingman AI, because Count is definitely the best wingman character.

Trigger might not have done it. He's possibly violated orders before to protect his squadmates, after all. (The last mission's optional drone dialog). Meanwhile, Count's a glory hound who doesn't always look before he leaps. It's a lovely move, but it's also a more reliable one, and one that's safer on official reports.

"I made a mistake with the system under pressure when trying to pick out the hostiles spoofing our IFFs" looks a lot better at a board of inquiry than "I ordered my pilots to murder each other".

For the game overall, though, the interesting thing is that it isn't the friendly AI that's the problem. People have seen a decent number of missiles land from friendlies. The issue is that your squadmates do almost no damage, needing something like eight missiles to kill a drone. I haven't found an interview talking about the decision, and they backtracked on it in the DLC, but if I had to speculate?

Well, I'd bring up AC6's low sales. Sure, it's a safe bet that was mainly due to being on Xbox when the fandom was on Playstation, but executives are going to look at every change for 6 to try and avoid its failure. The best selling game pre Skies was 4, which leaned hard into the one man army fantasy. You were the ultimate badass, and your squad existed to be impressed by how badass you were. Six, meanwhile, put more focus on combined operations, giving you an army and a squadmate who could clear maps without your intervention from time to time, making you feel more like a cog in the machine than like the Grim Reaper.

Seven setting it so the AI will almost never steal your kills was a way to make that 4 era fantasy stronger, even if it also means that your supposedly elite buddies don't do much on their own.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you're doing planes with the sixers, you gotta do some of the NASA schemes. PA is smart when they put them in the game. (I'll take the F-15 if I'm getting one)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Veloxyll posted:

Pretty sure it has been rigged for a while, now.

Nah, when I made that post, the poll at the top of the thread had 9000 votes on Air Combat.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
God drat, Full Band really took that idiot ball and ran with it. I'm honestly uncertain what else to describe it as; he just kinda walked into his own death, not out of any kind of courage or conviction but just through sheer, mindboggling obliviousness. Like, it's extremely clear that he did not think this through, at all, and he ventured into doing things a state would frown upon not out of any kind of ideological or political reasoning but mostly just because he thought he could do it, and then couldn't shut up about it. ... also it kinda occurs to me for as much as he talked about intel being a key to surviving the war he never really seemed to do much with that intel except brag about having it.

(Meanwhile Tabloid quietly holds onto being probably the best support in the 444th, at least plot wise, coming up with a plan off the top of his head that actually helps resolve the situation, albeit one heavily reliant upon Trigger being on hand.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MShadowy posted:

(Meanwhile Tabloid quietly holds onto being probably the best support in the 444th, at least plot wise, coming up with a plan off the top of his head that actually helps resolve the situation, albeit one heavily reliant upon Trigger being on hand.)

He does start with "form up on me" before changing his mind.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

He does start with "form up on me" before changing his mind.

True enough, but consider that his plan was probably still going to be "identify everyone around a single point as friendly, and then have Trigger kill everyone else."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MShadowy posted:

True enough, but consider that his plan was probably still going to be "identify everyone around a single point as friendly, and then have Trigger kill everyone else."

Yeah, Tabloid is an utter coward, but at least he's a smart coward.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I'm gonna do a Full Band and leak confidential information here:

Crow's Project Wingman LP is delayed until he finishes both HAWX 1 and HAWX 2 AND Aero Fighters Assault, the superior N64 rival of ace combat 2

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And here I was going to say that deserved doubletime in Solitary.

Also the pilot in the briefing cutscene is the smartest guy in the whole squad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

And here I was going to say that deserved doubletime in Solitary.

Also the pilot in the briefing cutscene is the smartest guy in the whole squad.

I'm only allowed to give out sixers. You'll have to wait till Dan gets drunk again or for Sally to try and upend the game by handing out longer probes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Another thing about Bandog's decision to consider: Full Band just admitted he was able to get into one of the most heavily guarded areas of Osea's military infrastructure and view the information inside. That means it is entirely possible that Full Band could release the information he saw with the right equipment/timing/backroom deal/etc. to whoever wants the information. And I have a feeling that after his stint with the 444th, Full Band would have been more than happy to let loose that Osea got so desperate for military power that they press-ganged prisoners (let alone prisoners of war) into the active Osean military to shore up their weakpoints. Which, obviously, would directly implicate Bandog as either an accessory to or an active participant in a war crime.

Faceless Soldier might as well be called "Spot the moment where a war crime is NOT committed on screen".

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Again, it's one of those things where "oblivious" seems to be the most accurate descriptor. Like, rather than getting the impression of this guy as being more of an anarchist in practice than Tabloid (as nine-gear initially described him) it's more like this is a guy for whom the concept of suffering consequences for anything he did was basically a fiction, even after he got thrown into a penal unit. Just massive head-empty energy, except attached to a guy who casually breaches classified systems for funsies.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This mission was/is a huge deal when I first played it and it remains really really good, especially the Count/Full Band/Bandog situation. I think it works to the game's benefit, enormously, to have Count do it the way it went down over just flagging Full Band hostile and having Trigger take the shot. The parallels it sets up between Count actually committing a blue on blue versus Trigger being accused of it, both due to the presence of Hornet drones, is just too good.

like say what you will about the overall writing but Bandog does so much as a character with honestly not very much in the way of dialogue

Psycho Landlord posted:

surprised you didn't go for the F-8, but maybe you want to do chronological order of Cool Planes?

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 1, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MShadowy posted:

Again, it's one of those things where "oblivious" seems to be the most accurate descriptor. Like, rather than getting the impression of this guy as being more of an anarchist in practice than Tabloid (as nine-gear initially described him) it's more like this is a guy for whom the concept of suffering consequences for anything he did was basically a fiction, even after he got thrown into a penal unit. Just massive head-empty energy, except attached to a guy who casually breaches classified systems for funsies.

Basically Full Band is the worst kind of shittyass TechBro who thinks that consequences are for other people.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

AradoBalanga posted:

Another thing about Bandog's decision to consider

mission 2: don't worry guys, the IFF is super secure. the most secure. you can rely on it. perfect. 100%. it's so secure, it defines secure, that's how secure it is.

this mission: a literal prisoner isolated from everything except Erusian bombs just casually admits he can get into systems that are, presumably, of equal or higher security

makes you think osea's not actually good at this

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I always did like just how many chances Bandog really did give Full Band before taking him out. He starts by talking about how he got some intel and Bandog just says, "I don't think you understand what you're saying." And then later goes on about it and Bandog warns him again with, "That's two strikes. There won't be a third." It's only when Full Band will not take the hint and shut the gently caress up, that Bandog finally decides to do something about it.

It's great too, because you can pinpoint the exact moment he does, when Full Band says one of his repeated lines, "In this war, intel is a life-or-death matter," and Bandog replies with, "I think you might be right."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i would like to highlight the fact that crow used the phrase "less better looking" and it has delighted me to no end

i'm gonna be on the lookout for places to use that like all the time now

e: yf-23 probe please and thank you

biosterous fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 1, 2022