Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Estinien in particular seems like he loves to drop aoe on the player too. Or at least I found as a Samurai he'd often be in the safe spot I want to go for in content.

One thing I've learned while leveling all my Trusts to 90 is just how tightly scripted they are in boss fights. It makes sense, of course, but the scripting isn't even "avoid AoE," it's "stand in this specific spot no matter where the AoE ends up being."

What made me realize this is the 87 dungeon boss. He has a move where he sends out four line AoE attacks, one at each party member, then follows that up with a second that goes along the same line. You have to move to make sure you don't overlap the AoEs, then move out of the second one after the first one goes off. Trusts always move to three cardinal directions around the boss for this mechanic, then rotate to the intercardinals for the second AoE, but they will do this no matter where you place your AoE. If you place yours a bit off from the perfect cross shape Trusts expect, one of them will just walk right into the second attack and get hit in the face. Just ask Urianger, who did it twice in one fight.

But it happens in more subtle ways, too, that you wouldn't notice if you didn't do the same dungeon multiple times with the same Trust party. It was kind of fun to sorta peek under the hood at how specific their scripting is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Khizan posted:

Also, Alphinaud preferentially heals Alisaie over anybody else, including you and the tank.

This is mitigated a bit by Alisaie being surprisingly willing to spam vercure, especially if the WoL is below 50%.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, and PF usually does map owner needs, in my experience. Which is a bullshit rule for clowns.

e: Although probably useful in PF, because you can't be sure people actually have maps or aren't going to bail before their map comes up.

Oh, huh, must be a Primal thing. 90% of map groups on Aether are FFA (thank gently caress).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mode 7 posted:

Wanting to make a new character on an Oceanic world but cannot for the life of me pick a race.

Main on Excal is a Roe so don't want to make another, as much as they absolutely own.
Bunny boys own, but I will want to make pirate glams and what fuckin pirate doesn't have a hat.
Hrothgar same issue.
Hyur boring. Miqote boring. Don't like the Au Ra aesthetic.
Want to mostly play tank so don't really want to roll a Lala as too short.
Elezen good... but can't seem to quite make one I'm happy with.

This is harder than any content in the game.

I love my elezen but it comes with the heavy burden of a lot of armour looking a little off because of their weird necks/shoulders (but certain robes look v cool)

I was going to try dancer recently but she looks so silly in the battle stance that I picked ninja instead

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Glagha posted:

This is not entirely true, you don't make huge bank now but there's lots of poo poo people want and you can make significant gil, if not raking in millions in a single night. The dirty trick is HQing mats for other, lazier crafters, and making crafting gear for the people getting in later than you. Not gonna get rich, but you can profit.

I can confirm that it’s lucrative, cuz I’m only now leveling crafters and I paid out the rear end for it :negative:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Theris posted:

I started Eureka a few days ago because I want one fairly attainable thing from it. (Dyable level 70 RDM AF armor, and I only really need the hat and top) I can't imagine doing it for anything that would take serious grinding, it isn't fun at all.

Yeah, Eureka is not great, but the nerfs make it a lot more tolerable. I recently had to push through to Hydros so I could unlock an TT npc. There's a special piece of armor you can get that makes you stronger in eureka, I'd highly recommend grabbing it.

quote:

Then go to the Nostalgic Fellow (x:7.8, y:14.3) near Rodney on Peir #1 and exchange the Seals/Cloth for the combined head/chest armor “Kirin’s Osode of X” for physical classes or the “Vermilion Cloak of X”
for levelling up I mostly focused on trying to clear out my challenge log for the week, but I think if you're going for the armor, you can't really neglect NMs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Re EW trusts, I unironically love that Estinien will regularly drop an LB1 on a midboss and immediately follow it up with his super move that does as much or more damage than the LB. The thing just gets vaporized.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, Eureka is not great, but the nerfs make it a lot more tolerable. I recently had to push through to Hydros so I could unlock an TT npc. There's a special piece of armor you can get that makes you stronger in eureka, I'd highly recommend grabbing it.

for levelling up I mostly focused on trying to clear out my challenge log for the week, but I think if you're going for the armor, you can't really neglect NMs.

The Kirin's Osode/Vermillion Cloak are the best pieces of equipment you could grab for Eureka if you can spare the money for them. With a Vermillion Cloak and one of the really cheap logo actions, I can solo prep any NM in Pyros level 50 and under on my RDM. It's kind of ridiculous two shotting stuff that's only synced 4 levels lower than you are.

If you equip a Platebearer logo and set your board to defensive, (and don't do it on a caster for obvious reasons) I'm pretty sure you can solo prep any NM in Eureka.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thundarr posted:

Re EW trusts, I unironically love that Estinien will regularly drop an LB1 on a midboss and immediately follow it up with his super move that does as much or more damage than the LB. The thing just gets vaporized.

This will hurt!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Why are TT cards from dungeons so rare? They take so much longer to get than any other card and it seems like a pretty strange design decision.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

I unironically love the idea of waiting 2 weeks for a 10 minute window for some big fish.

It's the only activity that keeps me subbed sometimes. It's true dedication. <Big Fish> rise up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

(Very very minor Trusts spoiler) I can't believe that I only realized that after it was pointed out to me that Alisaie can and will use Limit Break whenever she is able to

Technically not true.

she only uses it on bosses

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Sentient Data posted:

And to anyone else looking at this from the outside, yes, getting max level omni is essentially buying a ticket to an entirely different game, one that can easily consume you in multiple meanings of the word

i'm consumed by my ability to repair and meld materia without going to an npc :smug:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gnossiennes posted:

i'm consumed by my ability to repair and meld materia without going to an npc :smug:

Yeah. It's great, being able to spend all night getting beat to hell in a raid, and still have > 100% gear durability because you fix your own.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I do trusts as a tank most of the time, I only go as DPS if I need to get Thancred some XP, but when I do I always use the LB on a pack before the boss. None for you, Alisaie.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Technically not true.

she only uses it on bosses

there will be nothing left of you but a smoking crater

(chips off 7% of boss hp with some low res meteorites)

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

FuturePastNow posted:

I do trusts as a tank most of the time, I only go as DPS if I need to get Thancred some XP, but when I do I always use the LB on a pack before the boss. None for you, Alisaie.

Why do you mostly do trusts as a tank

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 31, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bobfly posted:

Why do you modtly do trusts as a tank

Only one out of seven trusts is a dedicated tank so running trusts as a tank is the most efficient way to level your trust NPCs.

Obviously not so much of your goal is XP for yourself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Only one out of seven trusts is a dedicated tank so running trusts as a tank is the most efficient way to level your trust NPCs.

I dunno if that actually helps anymore now that there are 7 trusts. In Shadowbringers, when there were 6 you needed to level to 80, you could run two teams as long as you did at least one of those teams as a tank. In Endwalker, you can't just run two teams anymore, even if you tank.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
But they go faster with you as a DPS, so if you need to do 3 sets of runthroughs anyway for the title, you can do one tank and 2 dps runs.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bobfly posted:

Why do you mostly do trusts as a tank

because I can and it's easy as hell

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibblebibble posted:

Fire DPS strat needs a bit of thinking based on who you're attached to.

there's also the uptime strat where phys ranged dps always handles a tower and the other dps need a few extra braincells to resolve it correctly

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I tanked a trust run of the 75 dungeon yesterday and then queued up into it with actual players.

The trust run legitimately went faster, the DPS were just that weak.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've had a couple of level 90 EX dungeon runs with sub-Trust level DPS. It's always upsetting :negative:

In fact in my last run of Stigma Dreamscape one of the DPS was a Samurai who maybe did one GCD every four or five seconds or so from what I could see and just moved around a bunch in between. Also absolutely refused to learn the second boss and died three times.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Someone told me they had an ADR where thee reaper was doing less than the healers

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did Trusts as a Tank mostly as WAR is my main so I never got Thancred in my groups, so it kind of blew my mind when I learned that he literally can't use skills that involve cartridges if Ryne (and later, Y'shtola and Urianger) isn't in the party with you. Because he can't generate aether himself.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Thundarr posted:

It really isn't because 7 trust members means you can straight up lock in Thancred for 100% of your runs while playing DPS and still cycle everyone in efficiently.

Obviously just use the job and role you want to play ultimately but there's no "necessary" reason to trust on a tank once you hit the EW dungeons.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

Someone told me they had an ADR where thee reaper was doing less than the healers

I've finally gotten into the Reaper train while working on trusts and it's actually really solid damage and fun to play. There's something like nine actual attack buttons in the AoE rotation! (and another one once per pull, Plentiful Harvest is kinda weird) But i can see how it would be an awful time to get a "never reads tooltips" player as a Reaper in your party because if you don't understand the flow of the job it's gonna perform like garbage even if you can mostly click your basic 1 2 3 on time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Part of me misses when the PLLs were at like 7 am. I liked getting up for them.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I ran the Trusts as a PLD for the story, and wall-pulled every one except the last. For some reason that was the only one they couldn't keep me alive in. They were actually fairly reasonable time wise. Even if they focus down one target at a time, there is still a decent amount of AoE getting thrown out so you don't have to wait for 10 individual kills, only about 2.5 to 3.

Most DF groups will still be faster than the Trusts, and going as DPS will likely be faster than as a tank, but it definitely felt like they upped the Trust damage in EW compared to ShB.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mode 7 posted:

Wanting to make a new character on an Oceanic world but cannot for the life of me pick a race.

Main on Excal is a Roe so don't want to make another, as much as they absolutely own.
Bunny boys own, but I will want to make pirate glams and what fuckin pirate doesn't have a hat.
Hrothgar same issue.
Hyur boring. Miqote boring. Don't like the Au Ra aesthetic.
Want to mostly play tank so don't really want to roll a Lala as too short.
Elezen good... but can't seem to quite make one I'm happy with.

This is harder than any content in the game.

with the elezen have you gone full duskwight? if you like things less standard, blue skin and face tattoos might work for you

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

reaper's tooltips mostly just made me smell toast but slapping everything on my bars and watching the meters and procs had me figure it out eventually

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Wrestlepig posted:

with the elezen have you gone full duskwight? if you like things less standard, blue skin and face tattoos might work for you

Really wish we had a bit more freedom mixing and matching facial hair.

Not sold on the tattoo on this guy though god I love the dumb pompadour.

This guy ended up more like a vampire than a pirate.

So I tried my hand at a viking bunny and while I love the result I can't work out how annoyed I'll be at not being able to wear hats.

And although I'm still not sold on the height I have to admit I ended up with a very swashbuckling Lala.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vampire pirate is kind of a powerful combo, honestly.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Viking bun is a mood as well.

I'm doing 500 lbs of disappointed cat dad now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frontlines Roulette was kind this week.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I'm a fan of pompadour Lincoln.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Vampirate is kind of a powerful combo, honestly.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
gently caress, somebody stop me I'm on my bullshit again. AST HW relic officially started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The HW ones are probably the easiest because it's just "have 50000000000 poetics".