Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I love Destiny and played both games a lot. The writing in Destiny 2 is legit good along with the shooting and gameplay being fun. I burned out on 2 a while ago but I really enjoyed playing it with mates doing raids and stuff.

Also it's a good game to get high and play because you're basically running around in beautiful 70s panel van art casting spells.
I apparently played a very different Destiny 2. But it's not like I could check because they removed all the content I actually paid for and I'm not going to bother with a f2p fomo grindfest.

The shooting was nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

I love Destiny and played both games a lot. The writing in Destiny 2 is legit good along with the shooting and gameplay being fun. I burned out on 2 a while ago but I really enjoyed playing it with mates doing raids and stuff.

Also it's a good game to get high and play because you're basically running around in beautiful 70s panel van art casting spells.

I'm all for hosed up shitposting but this is too drat much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the writing in destiny stinks rear end. game is fun

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nah the "lore" I guess you could call it has good writing, but it's all text. Whoever does the text walls kills it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

For an MMOFPS it handles surprisingly well, almost like an actual offline shooter. It's just that literally everything else about the game is not so good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As long as Destiny keeps coming to PC I couldn't care less who owns Bungie. As opposed to Sony first party games which get lovely late comer ports 3 years later or not at all. Maybe in 5 years I'll be able to get a PS5 off the shelf to play the Demon's Souls remaster, who knows. Would certainly love to play it on PC, which I am reasonably certain would be an easy port given it's a Bluepoint joint.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

and where the heck is Lo Wang's original voice actor?

You jinxed it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

For an MMOFPS it handles surprisingly well, almost like an actual offline shooter. It's just that literally everything else about the game is not so good.

Stuff like raids and gambit are great with friends. Interesting mechanics that don't let it become rote and the bandy netcode isn't a problem in gambit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ever y time i heard about the great writing in destiny its like on a wiki page or some poo poo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The lore is pretty interesting as expressed in youtube videos. The actual games are a rolling disaster of barely-coherent last-minute rewrites.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine how good a game bungie could make if they hired a proper writer and narrative designer. Would be mind blowing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine how good a game bungie could make if they hired a proper writer and narrative designer. Would be mind blowing

They have a proper writer chained up in the dungeon writing text walls! Let this poor person free.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They would still create a game that takes half a day to load the latest map for their devs, then they have to throw away everything but the latest "expansion" as the game starts filling half a PS5 SSD all by itself.

But at least the plot might make more sense without having to spend an evening reading TVTropes a ton of wiki pages.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hiring a good writer doesn't help if you run into development problems and have to hastily rearrange your set pieces to make sure the game gets released on time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

orcane posted:

They would still create a game that takes half a day to load the latest map for their devs,

Don’t think this has been the case since Destiny 2

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought the Destiny story would be more about moon wizards or summoning the fire witch to the space court for her crimes on Saturn. But it seemed like it just wanted me to go into halo levels and touch computers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The level design is unreal in those games. It looks incredible on Series X at 60fps

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I could totally get into Destiny if it wasnt such an all-consuming commitment.

it totally wants to be the only game you play and Im not into it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

I could totally get into Destiny if it wasnt such an all-consuming commitment.

it totally wants to be the only game you play and Im not into it.

Yeah this is why I dropped it. I'd love to play FFXIV as well but I can't justify it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I personally consider loot based pvp to be a real bad concept. Except maybe battle royale style where it all gets reset after the match.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The level design is unreal in those games. It looks incredible on Series X at 60fps

Does hdr work yet? It was still too dark to see anything last time I tried.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wasnt even talking about PVP which is a whole other mess that I have zero interest in ever exploring ever again.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Destiny 1 was cool. The actual game was a loot treadmill which is pretty lovely but the raids were some of the most fun I’ve had gaming with my friends in a long time.

We all got Destiny 2 and then got burned out and quit before they even put the first raid in. Another reason why releasing unfinished games is terrible.

The new Halo needs to put out forge and custom games before their player base dwindles too far, is what I’m saying.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

orcane posted:

I apparently played a very different Destiny 2. But it's not like I could check because they removed all the content I actually paid for and I'm not going to bother with a f2p fomo grindfest.

The shooting was nice though.

Removing content is the biggest problem that Destiny has and they're still doing it which is frustrating because if they left content in that people paid for it would be in an amazing state right now but instead it's a complete mess which is only going to get worse shortly when they remove even more content that people paid for (an entire expansion with a huge location and one of the best story campaigns the IP has had).

If you check the actual stats you'll also see PvP is by far the most played mode in the game but it's seen no new content for years now. The last time the mode got touched was to have about a third/half of the content removed lol, that's all. They just removed a bunch of multiplayer maps, along with half (or just over?) the maps from gambit which is now so content-starved it's pointless and they're still removing content. Next expansion comes out shortly and a whole location and story is going away along with a whole bunch of weapons and gear and co-op strike missions etc.

I think part of it is just to increase the grind since they bring back old weapons and armor that people have to grind for all over again thanks to sunsetting and they are really slow at producing new content. No idea wtf a new person trying to play the game would even think/do right now since the entire original campaign story was removed and also multiple campaigns after that and a whole bunch of planets and it's weird because you can play missions where you're getting voiceover from a character that died and it's a mess. Some PvP maps that were left in the game also take place on planets that "disappeared" because of the darkness so they went away along with huge chunks of content but somehow still exist for a crucible match lol it's hosed.

Huge new expansion releasing shortly and still not a single new PvP map lol. Back for Destiny 1 they'd add 4-5 new PvP maps even with the smaller expansions and didn't remove anything so by the end it was a huge content rich game with a lot of awesome stuff. Destiny 2 could be an amazing game but Bungie keep messing things up so badly and seem to hate the playerbase actually having fun. Everyone thought it would get better when Bungie got free from Activision but the game got even worse. I think the big tell was the day everyone logging in wasn't allowed to progress to play the game unless they agreed not to take legal action against Bungie or a class action lawsuit. Was weird as heck but in retrospect makes sense now. Prime example of how not to handle a live service game compared to something like Apex Legends, Overwatch or Warframe etc. which actually get how to do it properly.

Laserface posted:

I wasnt even talking about PVP which is a whole other mess that I have zero interest in ever exploring ever again.

Neither does Bungie!

:negative:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

RCarr posted:

Destiny 1 was cool. The actual game was a loot treadmill which is pretty lovely but the raids were some of the most fun I’ve had gaming with my friends in a long time.

We all got Destiny 2 and then got burned out and quit before they even put the first raid in. Another reason why releasing unfinished games is terrible.

The new Halo needs to put out forge and custom games before their player base dwindles too far, is what I’m saying.

You kind of nail it, but you undersell how poo poo destiny 1 was aside from the raids. The Vault of Glass was some prime gaming, but getting to the point of finishing it without ungodly grinding was difficult if not impossible. I went as far as the Crota raid too and it was the same. Destiny, as a gaming system, has been poo poo from the beginning.

Tldr destiny loving sucks even though it has diamonds in the rough, or did

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

SUNKOS posted:

No idea wtf a new person trying to play the game would even think/do right now since the entire original campaign story was removed and also multiple campaigns after that and a whole bunch of planets and it's weird…

I always meant to eventually play the single player Destiny content (fell off after the disappointing first expansion to the first game). But then they announced the whole content removal thing and killed my chance/desire to do that. I have zero interest in dropping into the middle of whatever’s currently going on.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Meanwhile Nintendo continues to live in their own world doing their own thing :3:
Nintendo acquired Next Level Games (Mario Strikers, Punch-Out Wii, the Luigi's Mansion sequels) out in Canada about a year ago. They don't exactly have a shopping list, but they aren't full isolationist either.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I tried to jump back in with the game pass/next gen push but it's just too much to bother to put up with, even for someone like me who played too much Destiny.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I fired up Destiny 2 when it was on game pass after not having played for a year and absolutely none of the issues with the game were resolved and I was immediately flung into a mission I couldn't win because there was an import bug where your gear levels wouldn't calculate right, and the fix was to unequip and reequip them until they did. Then the story warp to the next area didn't load so I died falling down a pit.

See you never Destiny 3.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I tried to get back into Destiny 2 and was just baffled as to what I needed to do. It didn't take me long to realize I didn't need to play Busywork: the Game.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Kins posted:

Nintendo acquired Next Level Games (Mario Strikers, Punch-Out Wii, the Luigi's Mansion sequels) out in Canada about a year ago. They don't exactly have a shopping list, but they aren't full isolationist either.

Holy loving poo poo how did this go under the radar this is awesome.

Mario Strikers Charged is easily one of the best sports games ever made (up there with SSX & Tony Hawk) and I haven't played Punch Out Wii or the Luigi's Mansion games but a new Mario Strikers game would be incredible and I really hope that they're working on it or at least doing an updated port of Charged.

This is the real developer acquisition news that matters :allears:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I tried to jump back in with the game pass/next gen push but it's just too much to bother to put up with, even for someone like me who played too much Destiny.

Live At Five! posted:

I tried to get back into Destiny 2 and was just baffled as to what I needed to do. It didn't take me long to realize I didn't need to play Busywork: the Game.

I took a break for a little while and tried to get back into it because of the 60fps upgrade on the new consoles etc. but I discovered that I was now really far behind and it felt more like work than fun trying to catch up and I just can't really be bothered, especially now that Halo Infinite is out and shits all over it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

I took a break for a little while and tried to get back into it because of the 60fps upgrade on the new consoles etc. but I discovered that I was now really far behind and it felt more like work than fun trying to catch up and I just can't really be bothered, especially now that Halo Infinite is out and shits all over it.

It used to be that I would say skipping over the game to reach the endgame is stupid. That was before every live service game decided to become the most pointless grind they can get away with.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Destiny 2 is an especially bad treadmill because the loot is pretty boring and you never get to feel like you gain much strength.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Barudak posted:

I fired up Destiny 2 when it was on game pass after not having played for a year and absolutely none of the issues with the game were resolved and I was immediately flung into a mission I couldn't win because there was an import bug where your gear levels wouldn't calculate right, and the fix was to unequip and reequip them until they did. Then the story warp to the next area didn't load so I died falling down a pit.

See you never Destiny 3.

This was my experience as a very regular destiny 1 player.

Oh wow all my poo poo that took months to earn is gone and anything that carried over is so low in level I can't even beat the hordes of base enemies? Wow and all the cool fun stuff was removed for some reason? Ok guess I'll keep playing modern warfare 2019 since they at least do a better job of hiding their disdain for the players.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The whole FOMO trend was pushed really heavy in Destiny and still is, which is frustrating because Bungie said a while back that they wanted to reduce all the grinding and respect player time more so that the game feels like less of a job but it's just gotten worse. It's the go-to industry example of how not to handle a live service game when combined with sunsetting and vaulting and all the other awful anti-consumer crap they've done.

Also all the fun loot and space magic being nerfed to heck so you're running around this fancy sci-fi world shooting assault rifles and SMGs is disappointing. They hyped up the introduction of bows as a huge sandbox game changer lol. Then again the engine is so ancient now that when they do try something somewhat interesting it repeatedly breaks the game countless times. They will never fix Telesto.

They should have made an effort to make exotics genuinely exotic as well. Like this exotic piece of armor reloads my guns if I sprint? This one lets me carry two grenades? Those should be random perks on legendary gear. Why the heck is so much exotic content really boring in the space magic game :(

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
destiny is just borderlands but replacing the cringe writing with really boring writing. amazing job.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

destiny is just borderlands but replacing the cringe writing with really boring writing. amazing job.

Borderlands is unplayable, claptrap alone is so unpleasant that I find it impossible to even play for 5 minutes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Live At Five! posted:

Borderlands is unplayable, claptrap alone is so unpleasant that I find it impossible to even play for 5 minutes.

and once you get past that 5 minutes you experience some of the most uninspired shooter combat of all time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish GAAS bullshit was like, the modern equivalent of a secondary multiplayer mode. If Destiny or any game Bungie made just had a normal rear end campaign with a story and set-pieces and cool moments and no loot, I'd probably have been totally into it. Then just use assets from the main game to kick off the play forever repetition MTX fest for the people who actually like that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Borderlands, regardless of how you feel about the writing or gameplay at least feels like a real game. Destiny is loving nonsense.