Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1488255774111506432

i'm a stone cold lock to open this in the prerelease.

flatluigi posted:

equip it to something you're gonna be tapping anyway, like a mana dork or (more often in limited) a creature you're using to crew. or just shove it on post combat

You're better off playing an 18th land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1488255774111506432

i'm a stone cold lock to open this in the prerelease.

You're better off playing an 18th land.

lol Opponent Creates X minus 1? It would still be bad if it was 1/2 X rounded down!

Utterly broken Limited Saga Value card

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/NumotTheNummy/status/1488242516772093952

This is a pretty interesting card. It's PROBABLY too slow but who knows.

The way he tweeted this card made me realize one day they're going to print a transform Saga with a different saga on the back and I want it a lot.

Then a Modern Masters set where there's a saga on one side that flips and a saga on the back that flips back to the front over and over.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Huxley posted:

The way he tweeted this card made me realize one day they're going to print a transform Saga with a different saga on the back and I want it a lot.

Then a Modern Masters set where there's a saga on one side that flips and a saga on the back that flips back to the front over and over.

The Song That Doesn't End

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

disaster pastor posted:

The Saga That Doesn't End

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

create a 1/1 lambchop token

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

disaster pastor posted:

It makes a 1/1 human token and a 2/2 horse token, then makes a 2/3 white Dog Dragon with flying, then a 3/4 golem creature, then a 4/4 black wolf token with menace, and loops back.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If these sagas transformed without exiling, they'd still have Lore counters on them, then die instantly from hitting the last chapter.

Having them exile themselves first solves both without having to write a bunch of goofy exceptions on the back.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It could just be worded "remove all lore counters from ~, then transform it" which would be both less words and not interact weirdly with a bunch of other stuff.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

lol Opponent Creates X minus 1? It would still be bad if it was 1/2 X rounded down!

I think it's a good finisher for a Limited aggro deck. If you don't win the turn you cast it its pretty rough though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

It could just be worded "remove all lore counters from ~, then transform it" which would be both less words and not interact weirdly with a bunch of other stuff.

It'd still be sacrificed because it hit the last chapter at all. Magic do be like that.

It'd be funnier, though, if they couldn't transform and couldn't be sacrificed, the saga would start over at chapter 1 next turn.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

AngryBooch posted:

Utterly broken Limited Saga Value card

Honestly this batch of sagas feel kind of powered-down on the front sides so I'm not sure it's as big a deal as it would have been in Dominaria for example.

It made me realise you can use Ninjutsu to reset sagas as well though

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If these sagas transformed without exiling, they'd still have Lore counters on them, then die instantly from hitting the last chapter.

Having them exile themselves first solves both without having to write a bunch of goofy exceptions on the back.

No, because they wouldn't be sagas then, the saccing is inherent to the card type. They did it to give the creatures summoning sickness they said, though I'll never find the post now with all the spoilers.

HootTheOwl posted:

This reasonable take is not what Seth posted and also doesn't have you feigning ignorance.
I just don't believe that the guy who makes magic decks based on weird and fun interactions as his job didn't know you couldn't Changling to up your Shrine count.

Have you seen Seth's content? Him misplaying this is exactly what I'd expect.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AngryBooch posted:

How so? You always have more samurai than the opponent. What are they going to do? Trade on your attack? Your samurai have Menace so they can't trade one for one. Hold them back and attack next turn? Surprise: they all have Vigilance and you have one more samurai. If you have anything that breaks the parity, like Intrepid Adversary, Kaya, Geist Hunter, or Blade Historian, then it's even better.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Here's what this flips into:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AngryBooch posted:

I can't wait for you to get killed by one because you don't understand how powerful menace + haste is with a one card swarm effect.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Right now, on an empty board, if your opponent block with all their new tokens, this spell is
- at least X+2 damage if X is even
- at least X+1 damage if X is odd
then your opponent is left with X/2 rounded down token and you with one token more than them.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lets Pickle posted:

I think it's a good finisher for a Limited aggro deck. If you don't win the turn you cast it its pretty rough though.

the tokens have vigilance

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the tokens have vigilance

Yours have menace so if you are just looking for some reach it could work out. But yeah, I wouldn't be excited about it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What a bummer bout' Seb. Guy has an incredible art style that's been a welcome return to mtg cards looking weird, and seemed like they took notice. Hope they can split his contracts into hiring other folks with distinctive looks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think the card is a limited bomb and about as unplayable as that XW make some dudes card was. Sure, if you're desperate for a a finisher in your control deck but surely there's something bigger and better to cast with all that mana?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SO there's two Yamazaki? Ok. Getting better.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

SO there's two Yamazaki? Ok. Getting better.

Sisters yamazaki?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mechtitan token

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mechtitan token

If I had a Brudiclad deck I'd slam this in it

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

$20K ATM (wow!)

$3200 ATM.

They are planning to auction the art for the token as well, same size but vertical

They're also auctioning off the basic lands in the set (which also look real nice and should be full art as well)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mechtitan token

I love this so much

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

It's too bad they really can't rename islands "river" as it seems they print more river-looking islands than island-looking islands nowadays

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

more art..

i think this is an unrevealed card, prob for commander

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

If i play a saga and played this on a single turn, would Chapter 2 go off or just chapters 1 and 3 happen?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Waffleopolis posted:

If i play a saga and played this on a single turn, would Chapter 2 go off or just chapters 1 and 3 happen?

All 3.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Man, i feel like the lore counters effect is cool but 3 mana is way too expensive to really play it

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I think you do want that 3 mana instant in the saga deck, it’s a sick trick with lots of small value that’s never really dead.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Waffleopolis posted:

Chapter one will go off when the saga resolves like normal.
Then chapters two and three will trigger when this spell resolves.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

God drat the art in this set is nice

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think I'm going to pick up a fat pack for this set, first time since Khans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I thought they stopped making those?