Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tuxedo Gin posted:

How do we get congress to make a law mandating penalties for false DMCA claims? The fact that companies can just have a bot run through and automate claims against anything that hits a certain % probability, and all content and storefronts will comply with the request because they're not going to fight a multi million/billion dollar company on behalf of a small time artist is really depressing.

https://twitter.com/kuttysarkart/status/1487125119621292038

https://twitter.com/riotgames/status/1487221168280985600

Have a billion dollars or so and a multi decade long commitment to funding something about it. The status quo is pretty straightforward for business, and change would involve actual costs.

It's actually not a straightforward problem. IP laws require that you guard your IP use by preventing others from using it, or there's a justifiable claim that it's generally available the public. There's a gazillion little poo poo bird sites that print knockoffs, and you have to go after them, but it's expensive to actually file suit against every jerkoff that pops up on redbubble or whatever.

The solution is to not have stupid IP laws but really I'm just still shocked that The Mouse didn't try to extend IP lifetimes again, so I don't know how feasible that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volmarias posted:

IP laws require that you guard your IP use by preventing others from using it, or there's a justifiable claim that it's generally available the public.

This is not true

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
There's some hullabaloo about a public records act request for Waymo's autodriving DMV application

Waymo sues state DMV to keep robotaxi safety details secret posted:

The suit stems from a public records request to the DMV from an unidentified individual or entity seeking Waymo’s driverless deployment application — the basic filled-out form, attachments of additional material, and responses to follow-up questions from the DMV.

Before releasing the material, the DMV invited Waymo to censor sections the company believed would reveal trade secrets. The DMV sent the package to the requester with major portions blacked out, including full concealment of some of the DMV’s own questions.

Whoever asked for the material then challenged the blackouts. According to the lawsuit, the DMV contacted Waymo and invited the company to sue the agency.

I love it when my state government becomes increasingly opaque!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Using suicide hotline data to help train customer service chatbots to be more sympathetic. :allears:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Doggles posted:

Using suicide hotline data to help train customer service chatbots to be more sympathetic. :allears:

Even worse than that - the for-profit company was founded by the suicide hotline company as a spinoff, for the express purpose of using the gathered data for for-profit usage.

https://www.crisistextline.org/blog/2018/03/12/what-is-loris-ai/

quote:

Over the past five years, we’ve trained 12,000+ people to demonstrate empathy and compassion in conversations with people in crisis. And they’re great at it! Our self-reported texter satisfaction rate is 85%. Crisis Counselors tell us they use these skills in other ways too–in their family life, work life, etc.

Along the way, we started hearing from companies and organizations who want to apply our training to their challenges. They’ve asked us to teach their people with the skills and confidence to navigate hard conversations.

At the same time, we’ve been thinking: “How can Crisis Text Line continue to grow at its current pace, without relying entirely on individual donors or (*shudder*) a chicken dinner fundraiser?” How can we fundraise in a way that helps us further our purpose of putting more empathy in the world?

The answer: a subsidiary for-profit venture called Loris.ai, named after a deceptively adorable venomous lemur native to Southeast Asia. (Communication skills are often categorized as soft, yet these challenging moments make-or-break a career or company. Same with the slow loris – it looks cuddly, but one wrong move and it can kill you.)

Loris.ai is a mission-driven social enterprise teaching people to have more empathy, cultural competency, and hard conversations. It turns what Crisis Text Line does best – empathy and innovation – into a means of keeping Crisis Text Line sustainable and free to users. We’re leveraging our data-informed training to build a new training that will make companies more compassionate. Maybe it’s a start-up cliché, but Loris.ai actually will make the world a better place.

Crisis Text Line is the majority shareholder in Loris.ai. We literally own it. (And we share a Founder/CEO – Nancy Lublin – so it’s all in the family.)

Beyond its future impact on its corporate clients and the potential impact on Crisis Text Line’s financial future, we foresee Loris.ai changing the not-for-profit space as a whole. We’re modeling a new path to sustainability for not-for-profits. Simply put, why sell t-shirts when you can sell the thing your organization does best?

Trend Upsilon
Jan 15, 2022

by Hand Knit
Thinking about this in conjunction with that big Finnish therapy data breach. Eroding trust in mental health institutions to keep deeply personal information shared in confidence from being used or abused for other purposes at a time when general anxiety, depression, and deaths of despair are soaring will surely not have a negative impact on society at large!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Doggles posted:

I think I just heard a few GDPR officers explode despite not being in the right countries :v:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Volmarias posted:

It's actually not a straightforward problem. IP laws require that you guard your IP use by preventing others from using it, or there's a justifiable claim that it's generally available the public.

Andrast posted:

This is not true

Yeah pretty sure that's just trademarks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Baronash posted:

I'm confused how one has anything to do with the other?

He doesn't want anyone to steal them so he's treating it like safe guarding valuables when you move.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Even worse than that - the for-profit company was founded by the suicide hotline company as a spinoff, for the express purpose of using the gathered data for for-profit usage.

https://www.crisistextline.org/blog/2018/03/12/what-is-loris-ai/

Can't see how this isn't a giant HIPAA violation.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

probably something about how the counselors aren't actually doctors

or there was just a recorded message when the phone picks up and everyone had to press 1 to agree to the terms and speak to a counselor

and the message included a no takebacks clause

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sodomy Hussein posted:

HIPAA is actually extremely narrow in scope, so I doubt it would apply to such a hotline in any way.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is it a parody? The name explanation makes it feel like a parody.

How can we fundraise in a way that helps us further our purpose of putting more empathy in the world?

The answer: a subsidiary for-profit venture called Loris.ai, named after a deceptively adorable venomous lemur native to Southeast Asia. (Communication skills are often categorized as soft, yet these challenging moments make-or-break a career or company. Same with the slow loris – it looks cuddly, but one wrong move and it can kill you.)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is it a parody? The name explanation makes it feel like a parody.

How can we fundraise in a way that helps us further our purpose of putting more empathy in the world?

Even more delightful about the analogy is that the slow loris is frequently captured and painfully defanged, where it slowly dies in captivity as a "cute" pet

"Let's take something wonderful and superficiality attractive and destroy it utterly for money"

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Volmarias posted:

Even more delightful about the analogy is that the slow loris is frequently captured and painfully defanged, where it slowly dies in captivity as a "cute" pet

"Let's take something wonderful and superficiality attractive and destroy it utterly for money"

You must be really fun at parties

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

There Bias Two posted:

HIPAA is actually extremely narrow in scope, so I doubt it would apply to such a hotline in any way.

Yeah. As long as they remove all personally identifying information from the data, it meets the letter of the law. The article points out that it might be trivial to reconstruct those details based on details that remain in it, but as long as names, dates of birth, exact addresses and the like are gone, it meets HIPAA standards.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
https://twitter.com/isislovecruft/status/1487947074901463040

It's not even surprising anymore, is it?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mega Comrade posted:

What baffles me is go on opensea and its rife with open art theft and copyright infringement. Half claiming to be selling IP rights too. You'd think the house of mouse and the like be all over it by now.

I believe opensea is ignoring takedown requests since they claim all they are hosting is urls.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Why does a dishwasher need to be connected to the internet? I've somehow managed without it my entire life.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Why does a dishwasher need to be connected to the internet? I've somehow managed without it my entire life.

How else will hackers wash their money?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Because for some reason everything must have an app. That interrupts you/sends push messages to your phone. And offers to sell you consumables and warranties.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

duz posted:

I believe opensea is ignoring takedown requests since they claim all they are hosting is urls.

Sounds like they're begging for a racketeering prosecution.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dubar posted:

I wouldn't consider myself an expert, I'm more of an internet explorer

OH! This is why we follow Saffari rules.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BiggerBoat posted:

Because it siphons your electricity to mine for ethereum?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ynglaur posted:

Because it siphons your electricity to mine for ethereum?

This has legit happened, right?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BigRed0427 posted:

This has legit happened, right?

I'd be amazed if it hadn't.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

What if you load your dishwasher in the morning, and then forget to turn it on? What if you don't know what water temperature and wash intensity settings to use, and need an app to tell you? Do you want a dishwasher that's smart enough to turn itself off when it's done washing your dishes? By golly, Home Connect is the dishwasher for you!

https://www.home-connect.com/global/smart-home-appliances/dishwashers

quote:

Did you forget to turn on the dishwasher in the morning? It's no problem thanks to Home Connect. If you have activated remote start, just send the command through the app to your smart Home Connect dishwasher while you are already sitting at the office. Your clean dishes will be waiting for you when you come home. Your dishwasher will shut itself off automatically after its job is done.

You can use the app to control your WiFi-enabled dishwasher with your smartphone or table. For example, you can enter the type or degree of soiling on your tableware and the app will recommend the perfect programme. No longer do you have to worry about which wash programme to choose; your appliance automatically chooses the most efficient and energy-saving option. You can even be reminded that your dishwasher tabs are about to run out.

...in other words, it doesn't really do anything genuinely useful or interesting, but Wi-Fi chips are cheap and a lot of marketing buzzwords can be implemented in software.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Dishwashers of any appliance seem like the ones most likely to have dozens of incomprehensible buttons and knobs that everyone ignores and just uses on whatever the default settings are.

Setting up a load through an actual UI seems like a better solution than "this machine has 40 buttons but I only press 3 of them then complain it washes bad"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We got a new fridge a couple months back and it hooks up to Wi-Fi. It’s mostly useless but it’ll dynamically change the temperature to suit the temperature outside. It keeps ice cream soft enough to scoop easily. I guess it kinda makes sense for it if you squint hard enough.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Invalid Validation posted:

We got a new fridge a couple months back and it hooks up to Wi-Fi. It’s mostly useless but it’ll dynamically change the temperature to suit the temperature outside. It keeps ice cream soft enough to scoop easily. I guess it kinda makes sense for it if you squint hard enough.

It's generally something that can be added very cheaply to a device that is already using microcontrollers anyway that gives some features and has minimal downsides except old people being grumpy about new things being scary and bad and things were better back in their day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Dishwashers of any appliance seem like the ones most likely to have dozens of incomprehensible buttons and knobs that everyone ignores and just uses on whatever the default settings are.

Setting up a load through an actual UI seems like a better solution than "this machine has 40 buttons but I only press 3 of them then complain it washes bad"

You know what's even better than that? Having a dishwasher with a soil sensor so you can leave it on "automatic" all the time and never think about any of that. Pretty much any dishwasher made in the last decade or more that wasn't the cheapest thing at the big box store will do this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Main Paineframe posted:

What if you load your dishwasher in the morning, and then forget to turn it on? What if you don't know what water temperature and wash intensity settings to use, and need an app to tell you? Do you want a dishwasher that's smart enough to turn itself off when it's done washing your dishes? By golly, Home Connect is the dishwasher for you!

...in other words, it doesn't really do anything genuinely useful or interesting, but Wi-Fi chips are cheap and a lot of marketing buzzwords can be implemented in software.

This sounds handy. Too bad the washer's water tap is closed (because I don't want a flood while I'm away from home) so it will have to wait until I get home to actually start running...

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's generally something that can be added very cheaply to a device that is already using microcontrollers anyway that gives some features and has minimal downsides except old people being grumpy about new things being scary and bad and things were better back in their day.

Really, that's the only downside?
For someone who posts so much in this thread you sure seem to have a problem with reading.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Nenonen posted:

This sounds handy. Too bad the washer's water tap is closed (because I don't want a flood while I'm away from home) so it will have to wait until I get home to actually start running...

do you stare at it the entire time it's running? never ran the dishwasher before bed?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nenonen posted:

This is not a normal thing that people do. You might as well shut off the water valve to your entire house in this case.

What sort of dishwasher do you have? Does it hook up to your sink faucet?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Motronic posted:

You know what's even better than that? Having a dishwasher with a soil sensor so you can leave it on "automatic" all the time and never think about any of that. Pretty much any dishwasher made in the last decade or more that wasn't the cheapest thing at the big box store will do this.

Getting angry if “algorithms” control things but then also getting angry if you are asked to control things.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ianmacdo posted:

Really, that's the only downside?
For someone who posts so much in this thread you sure seem to have a problem with reading.

I especially hate these loving things because every last one of these devices throws a short range 2.4GHz network if it's not on the WiFi so that you can connect to it, then have your phone connect it to the main WiFi in your home. So when you have a smart dishwasher, smart fridge, HP Smart Print, etc. each one introduces more and more 2.4GHz WiFi interference for old devices that can't connect to 5GHz networks. God forbid they stick to channels 1, 6, or 11 as well so they can interfere on multiple channels by being on channel 4 or whatever the gently caress, meaning it's garbling up both 1 and 6 and turbofucking some old dude's Honeywell thermostat from being checked in the middle of winter while he's in Arizona.

So you can connect it to your wifi and be stuck waiting for a software update to finish before you can use it, or you can leave it disconnected and have shittier internet on devices not connecting to 5G wifi

It sucks!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
You know what I miss? An old fashioned phone! mines always falling in the couch, and loving thing is so quiet a notification sounds like a tiny bird being smothered. You just dont get that loud ring sound anymore...

Sorry if ive brought this up already, my brain is swiss cheesed up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh no! I never thought of that.

Also, it's never happened and, if it has, my dishes were still pretty much washed, Worst case scenario for me has been having to re-wash them and run a new cycle. But upon further reflection, I now see the importance of having to monitor my dish cycle when I am at work and how vital it is. Clearly this is worth an extra $1000 for the price of the washer to avoid the situation you described.

I need to get my head out of the sand here and get with the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I imagine all of you have received spam calls at one time or another. Where do they get their information from and is it possible some of the big name tech companies are giving our info to them?

I just bought something for my mom on Amazon and sent it to her address, and 2 days later she gets a phishing call apparently trying to get access to my Amazon account. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but I wonder if either Amazon or the 3rd party seller gave info to the spam caller.