Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I loved Skaven back in the WHFB days, but they seem to have lost a lot of character in AoS. I can't exactly define how or why, though.

So yeah, a good update would also be bad for my wallet.

Have Skaven even had a single model release in AOS? They are totally the same as they were in WFB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Warlock Bombardier is AOS-era IIRC. And there's those dead skaven for the orc rat hunter's base. :v:

I think it's rad in lore that they basically just dig through time and space between planes. And Ikit is apparently making skaven-fied Stormcast? I should go read that book.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Geisladisk posted:

Have Skaven even had a single model release in AOS? They are totally the same as they were in WFB.

Skyre engineer from Carrion Empire

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Geisladisk posted:

I don't mean the models (which is a different isse, because a lot of them are still metal), I meant the fluff and feel.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I don't mean the models (which is a different isse, because a lot of them are still metal), I meant the fluff and feel.

Stormvault book has very good skaven showing

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Skyre engineer from Carrion Empire
And "Spiteclaw’s Swarm", the Underworlds warband.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I don't even think the current book is even a year old yet.

It just turned a year old.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Marin Karin posted:

Warlock Bombardier is AOS-era IIRC. And there's those dead skaven for the orc rat hunter's base. :v:

I think it's rad in lore that they basically just dig through time and space between planes. And Ikit is apparently making skaven-fied Stormcast? I should go read that book.

Well he turned himself into a Skaven Warp Stormcast.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Stormfiends are technically AoS in my mind, since they didn't come out until End Times.

So Skryre have gotten some good new stuff, but that's about it. I would love for a new book this year, but I worry that it would just be a "here's new models for you to buy, and we're done!"

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

smug jeebus posted:

If your timeline extends out to 2035, sure

Maybe not so crazy now!

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he turned himself into a Skaven Warp Stormcast.

God bless these crazy rat bastards.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/03/underworlds-fighters-are-headed-to-the-eightpoints-in-warcrys-new-tome-of-champions/

Soon you can bring the pincers of terror to the Eightpoints with a rules update that lets you bring Underworld bands to Warcry.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I loved Skaven back in the WHFB days, but they seem to have lost a lot of character in AoS. I can't exactly define how or why, though.

They were tied to the Old World.

Rats that dig tunnels under rotting sorta-Holy Roman Empire cities are great, but they seem out of place in the high fantasy vibe of AoS.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/03/underworlds-fighters-are-headed-to-the-eightpoints-in-warcrys-new-tome-of-champions/

Soon you can bring the pincers of terror to the Eightpoints with a rules update that lets you bring Underworld bands to Warcry.

I'm surprised it took this long to do this. Really excellent decision to provide rules for even more Sigmar models to be used in the really cool smaller skirmish games.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Cessna posted:

Rats that dig tunnels under rotting sorta-Holy Roman Empire cities are great, but they seem out of place in the high fantasy vibe of AoS.

It does not help that the fluff in the new book is very sparse or just a retelling. Man, I cannot wait for a new book.

In my own opinion, I think this setting could give you a lot more opportunities to play up the mischievous, mercenary nature of Skaven. With being able to tunnel through to various realms, you can dream up all sorts of misguided campaigns. I have my very own Squeek the Crimson believing he is inheritor to something called Clan Mors, and along for the ride is a bunch of other rats who believe they are the main characters in this story. That said, I do prefer the Skaven on the sillier side of chaos.

Still, I got a rare snow day in Texas so here is the Arch-Warlock i've been working on. Saw the conversion on the web and figured I could give it a go. Pretty happy with the results thus far!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Cessna posted:

I think it's more the opposite. In the Old World having bizzare guns and tech was their thing, but now they are just one of many factions with it in AoS. They lost the thing that made them seem special and are just another band of weirdos among a whole bunch of weirdos.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

neaden posted:

I think it's more the opposite. In the Old World having bizzare guns and tech was their thing, but now they are just one of many factions with it in AoS. They lost the thing that made them seem special and are just another band of weirdos among a whole bunch of weirdos.

That's valid, yeah.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cessna posted:

neaden posted:

It's probably both. I think they lost something, too, as the new game doesn't have big blocks of infantry. I get the reasons for the change, but a big rear end swarm of rats was characterful.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Skaven Pestilens was a pretty fun book. I definitely remember a bit where the Skaven were torturing someone for information and they couldn't get anything intelligible out of him and the POV skaven briefly considered that maybe he should have learned the local language.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I kinda liked skaven in Stormvault - still a bunch of incompetent morons, but then you see them crushing great unclean ones under the weight of bodies alone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I kinda liked skaven in Stormvault - still a bunch of incompetent morons, but then you see them crushing great unclean ones under the weight of bodies alone.

The Grey Seer and Verminlord were pretty impressive. The seer just got super unlucky where a dying Mega-Gargant fell

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/06/sunday-preview-dominate-the-eightpoints-and-middle-earth-with-next-weeks-pre-orders

The previous revealed Tome of Champions for Warcry goes up for pre-order next weekend. Alongside some sprue shifter collections, I mean Warbands.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That Stormcast box is exactly what I need. Hopefully, they have some nice discounts like the older Warcry boxes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Definitely grabbing that Kruleboyz box if it's got any kind of discount at all - do these typically get sold by third-party sellers for an additional discount too, or are they GW direct only?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I’ve been getting into Warhammer 40 K and working on models and stuff recently and it’s been a lot of fun. I decided to take my son to the Warhammer store (he’s going to be 6 next month and due to COVID we don’t get to go to as many stores as before, but luckily he’s great with masks), because he’s been saying how cool the age of Sigmar stuff looks from the free catalogs. He also thinks the space wolves look cool. He’s super excited to work on the models since they’re push fit ones, so no glue is needed.

So long story short, he now owns this.

I need to figure out a way to create some exceptionally simplified rules for him to play by, he loves playing with dice in math class and numbers, so I’m thinking of something where distance is a dice roll and combat is some simple dice vs armor stuff.

I’m just hoping the paints I have for Cadian and Astra Militarum and Ultramarines will transfer off, but yeah I have a feeling that’s mostly wishful thinking.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Citadel paints are very easy to strip off models if that's what you're referring to. Simple Green or Fairy Power Spray (I think it was that for the US) will do the trick after soaking for a while and then go to town with an old toothbrush.
Isopropyl Alcohol also works as I recall. Pretty sure there are a bunch of other options as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I need to figure out a way to create some exceptionally simplified rules for him to play by, he loves playing with dice in math class and numbers, so I’m thinking of something where distance is a dice roll and combat is some simple dice vs armor stuff.

You could definitely just have the models move their distance/dice roll then roll to hit and save. Forget all the other rules they just bash each other's brains in. Everyone can enjoy that and he gets to see his dudes on the table which is the most important thing.

Given it's a 10 v 5 box it would be pretty easy to make it even-ish with stormcast 3 to hit and 3 to save while kruledudes have a 4 to hit and 4 to save or something I'm not a mathematician.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So I’ve been getting into Warhammer 40 K and working on models and stuff recently and it’s been a lot of fun. I decided to take my son to the Warhammer store (he’s going to be 6 next month and due to COVID we don’t get to go to as many stores as before, but luckily he’s great with masks), because he’s been saying how cool the age of Sigmar stuff looks from the free catalogs. He also thinks the space wolves look cool. He’s super excited to work on the models since they’re push fit ones, so no glue is needed.

So long story short, he now owns this.

I’m just hoping the paints I have for Cadian and Astra Militarum and Ultramarines will transfer off, but yeah I have a feeling that’s mostly wishful thinking.

There are a lot of kid friendly, simple games on Itch that you could probably re-theme, like Clay Creatures https://s-jared.itch.io/clay-creatures you would lose out on the fun of dismantling the fighters, but this ruleset seems otherwise adaptable.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Citadel paints are very easy to strip off models if that's what you're referring to. Simple Green or Fairy Power Spray (I think it was that for the US) will do the trick after soaking for a while and then go to town with an old toothbrush.
Isopropyl Alcohol also works as I recall. Pretty sure there are a bunch of other options as well.

99% IPA works very well and is probably the least toxic of the lot. I've tried Fairy Power before and it didn't work. With commercial products it's very easy for the manufacturers to change the "secret sauce" ingredient due to regulatory needs and suddenly what used to work no longer does.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the suggestions! I think he'll be thrilled with just doing some dice rolls and addition and subtraction. I can always add more rules on later, but I think

Regarding the paint I meant I didn't want to have to buy more paints and could make decent use of what I have now from Citadel vs stripping it off (although it's good to know that is a mostly easy option).

I figure I might let my son do some limited base painting, since it's hard to screw up too much (well besides globs), and limit it to that until my own skills and knowledge approve, or my sister can teach him (art background). Otherwise it's like taking medical advise from an AM radio host...and you'd have to be an idiot to do. lol

Wotsnik
Sep 28, 2005
Just because you can see it, doesn't mean it's not invisible.
Re: push fit models, strongly reccomend you pre clip/split all the tube slots/pegs that they use for easy assembly
I've had endless issues with easy build stuff where if you don't do this, they don't end up pushing together all the way easily without a lot of force. If you want to keep them push fit secure dont clip the pegs, just do the tube part. Vince Venturella does a good video showing this, linked to time he's talking about that specifically.
https://youtu.be/JEiUZf2uYKQ?t=411

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I always clip the push fit rods roughly to half and give them a little angle because sometimes they're way too tight to fit flush. I also glue the models.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And here I assembled Morgwaeth's blade coven today. Even if the gaps weren't that big. Still, that probably would've been handy to know earlier. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/09/important-pricing-news/

So for the first time in a couple of years, GW is raising prices on models and books.
But Aussies and New Zealanders don't have to worry since their prices are staying more or less the same.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/14/here-are-this-years-exclusive-event-miniatures-and-how-to-get-them

And this year's Event exclusive model is a Swampcalla Shaman. And definitely the more interesting of the bunch.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/14/here-are-this-years-exclusive-event-miniatures-and-how-to-get-them

And this year's Event exclusive model is a Swampcalla Shaman. And definitely the more interesting of the bunch.

what, you tired of yet another Primaris Lieutenant Company Champion?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Welp, looks like I’m gonna have to find someone to pay to get that Swampcalla for me.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The lore of his "magic eye" is awesome 😅

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Really want that shaman but I can only imagine how ridiculous the scalper prices are gonna be on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Really want that shaman but I can only imagine how ridiculous the scalper prices are gonna be on those.

One just closed for $150 on ebay, lmao