Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Inner Light posted:

Alright I put in a bug report for the green scenery issue, it bugs the heck out of me and RUINS my IMMERSION.

Really though, it's super obvious in a major city (Chicago) and you would think even a few hours of playtesting before release would catch this, let alone a year after release. The excuse of it being from Bing's aerial imagery is not accurate either because Bing doesn't look anything like that and is true to life.

That's just the Haiti/Dominican border manifested in a Chicago suburb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Of course, I should have known.

I dunno if that bug will ever get fixed, but it is still pretty insane flying around cities you are familiar with, because of how real it can look sometimes.

Shout out to Lowe's in the center bottom of the pic which is pretty true to life:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm easing back into VR after little time this last year to do so (mainly in VTOL VR). I've always been super prone to motion sickness. Something that's helped a lot is ginger, whether a ginger root capsule a bit before playing, some dried ginger snacks, or even some strong ginger beer drinks. I notice the onset quicker than when I don't use any of that and if I feel so it helps alleviate it pretty quick. I don't know how much might be placebo or confirmation bias but ginger has been mentioned often in motion sickness stuff I've looked in to.

Also, I just got this delivered: https://flightsimbuilder.com/collections/frontpage/products/flightsimbuilder-g1000-coming-soon

I ordered during a Black Friday sale, so it's taken a few months, which was expected. I've not had time to plug it in, but with just a cursory look it feels great and is seems solidly built. Now I'm sort of regretting not buying two, but hope to order another once I sell of stuff I haven't been using, like some GoFlight , CH Products, Saitek things and PC parts to simplify down to a basic G1000 setup.

edit: they got back in stock today so I ordered a 2nd one. A fool and his money... But, now I'm real motivated to set up my sim-pit again. A friend is planning to work on his instrument rating in a G1000 172 so maybe I can get some practice virtually to talk to him about it all.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 24, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Lost my TrackIR tiara :rip:

Now I have to order it from NaturalPoint where shipping it costs more than hat clip itself lol. I was hoping people made alternatives to it by now, by oh well.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

skooma512 posted:

Now I have to order it from NaturalPoint where shipping it costs more than hat clip itself lol. I was hoping people made alternatives to it by now, by oh well.

There's ton of alternatives if you are looking for point models. I made my own, but Delanclip rules and there's a few others too.

If you want purely reflective stuff or has to be a tiara, then yeah I think they are the only ones still using those.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

it's 3 bits of tape on sticks, not the most difficult thing to make tbh

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Quick facetracking review... Been playing FS again and realised at some point last yeah I installed Every App after packing away the kinect and using the phone as a webcam: Out of opentrack's NN tracker, aitrack, artrack, and smoothtrack, smootrack worked the fastest and smoothest, without having to use droidcam, and the least amount of adjusting curves and filters. Definitely worth the :10bux:.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Listened to my girlfriend's encouragements and ordere myself a Virpil throttle :retrogames:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BMan posted:

it's 3 bits of tape on sticks, not the most difficult thing to make tbh

Just be sure to use the right tape, i had trouble with glossy 3m that was the wrong reflectivity or something.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

skooma512 posted:

I think since most people attach something to a headset there's just not a market for the hat thing anymore. Anyway we have discussed a lot of the alternatives in this thread (Grassmonkey, Delanclip, etc.).

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Listened to my girlfriend's encouragements and ordere myself a Virpil throttle :retrogames:
Marry her.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

hannibal posted:

I think since most people attach something to a headset there's just not a market for the hat thing anymore. Anyway we have discussed a lot of the alternatives in this thread (Grassmonkey, Delanclip, etc.).

the hat clip is great though, there's no cord or battery and it's basically indestructible

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Grassmonkey puck looks like it's a good upgrade from the tiara. I wanted to go TrackIR pro but the durability and wires wasn't there and the GM puck is about the same. Delanclip also looks promising but I didn't want to deal with Intl. shipping and currency if I didn't have to.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

skooma512 posted:

Grassmonkey puck looks like it's a good upgrade from the tiara. I wanted to go TrackIR pro but the durability and wires wasn't there and the GM puck is about the same. Delanclip also looks promising but I didn't want to deal with Intl. shipping and currency if I didn't have to.

Fwiw I have the puck. I haven't had any other head tracking product before to compare to (except VR). The puck is nice. Wears easily and gives satisfying tracking in Sims. Only downside is that when I attach it to a headset, it sags a little on that side. I think it's the weight of the AA battery since the puck itself is sturdy but very light . No problem at all.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Speaking of trackIR, ever since I moved to VR, I have a non-pro model Track IR5 (with hat clip) sitting in my closet collecting dust. I'd be willing to sell it for like $20 dollaradoos plus the cost of shipping (which should be under $10 since it's tiny). I tried selling it during the pandemic but no one wanted it.

I reopened my old SA mart thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925955

Post in there if interested.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 25, 2022

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

i am kiss u now posted:

Speaking of trackIR, ever since I moved to VR, I have a non-pro model Track IR5 (with hat clip) sitting in my closet collecting dust. I'd be willing to sell it for like $20 dollaradoos plus the cost of shipping (which should be under $10 since it's tiny). I tried selling it during the pandemic but no one wanted it.

I reopened my old SA mart thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925955

Post in there if interested.

This is a stellar deal. Someone get it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I was going to grab it but realized it will not work on Xbox, right? It is a great deal, thanks i am kiss u now. :-/

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Inner Light posted:

I was going to grab it but realized it will not work on Xbox, right? It is a great deal, thanks i am kiss u now. :-/

I do not believe it will. PC only.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Asobo confirmed today that World Update 8 is going to be Iberia, which I am incredibly loving excited for.

https://fselite.net/content/microsoft-flight-simulator-january-live-developer-qa-recap/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Asobo give me my drat native multicrew!!!!!

:gary:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I fuckin knew it

quote:

Seb said that they have implemented new propeller effects in the aircraft. This native method includes P-factor, torque and more that is actually simulated. Feathering is now fully implemented with the propellers. Three aircraft will get these improvements, including the King Air.

I knew they were lying about all the supposed detail in the aerodynamics. The planes all feel too floaty on landing, and there have been people proposing that the game isn't modeling fuselage drag at high alpha, prop drag, etc but no proof one way or another. But apparently up to this point they haven't even been modelling torque or P-factor! And if feathering is just now being implemented, that sure sounds like prop drag wasn't! lmao

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 27, 2022

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Wolfy posted:

Asobo confirmed today that World Update 8 is going to be Iberia, which I am incredibly loving excited for.

https://fselite.net/content/microsoft-flight-simulator-january-live-developer-qa-recap/
Interesting, they're working on DLSS after all. I guess they feel confident enough that many of the CPU bottlenecks are lessened to the point where DLSS would actually improve performance.

I ordered the Thrustmaster Boeing yoke+throttle combo, looking forward to flying with a yoke instead of a stick. Have any of the modders gotten to making the 787 un-suck or is the encryption still too restrictive for them to do much?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's amazing, for the accomplishment that FS was in a lot of ways, how absolutely loving broken it was/is in really simple ways.

Like, we finally got FMS features in default airliners. But... eh, couldn't be bothered to implement direct-to in the G1000 that 90% of the default aircraft use.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

Interesting, they're working on DLSS after all. I guess they feel confident enough that many of the CPU bottlenecks are lessened to the point where DLSS would actually improve performance.

I ordered the Thrustmaster Boeing yoke+throttle combo, looking forward to flying with a yoke instead of a stick. Have any of the modders gotten to making the 787 un-suck or is the encryption still too restrictive for them to do much?
https://github.com/Heavy-Division/B78XH
320 sim pilot made a vid on this so it's probably decent, but I don't have the 787 and I can't tell you much about it.

PT6A posted:

It's amazing, for the accomplishment that FS was in a lot of ways, how absolutely loving broken it was/is in really simple ways.

Like, we finally got FMS features in default airliners. But... eh, couldn't be bothered to implement direct-to in the G1000 that 90% of the default aircraft use.
I'd use the phrase "fms features in default airliners" really loosely here. FBW had to implement direct to on the A32NX themselves, and the default FMS would skip all sorts of waypoints, making it pretty much useless once you got near your destination. I don't really know how much of the original code is left, but at this point it feels like they have rewritten everything and added quite a bit of their own functionality. It's quite funny how bad some of the default stuff is, I suppose it has always been this way with MSFS.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Bought both the SEM and THQ modules to attach to my VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Right handed, and am so bored trying to create 3 virtual controllers so nearly 128 buttons can be used.

Pretty much suspect at this point that without using Joystick Gremlin and something that allows for separate Vendor/Product codes to allow it to act as its own device, it may not work in Mechwarrior 5, but I've heard reports that it works with Elite: Dangerous.

Looks amazing, but have yet to actually play anything with it yet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

23 Skidoo posted:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

23 Skidoo posted:

Another good thread title candidate.

:five:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

In Track IR news if anyone still needs a purchasing opinion: I have now had a week or so with multiple long sessions with the GrassMonkey puck. I've found that it works best if I place the camera not centered in front of me, but a little to the side. I used the DCS preset from their web site and tweaked the curves just a little bit and it fits like a glove now.

The only thing I'm missing is that I can't look straight up. I think that's a DCS limitation, though -- Open Track reports me as looking 90 degrees up, but DCS won't let me turn the camera that far. I think I have to fix that in-game.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

quote:

Flight Sim Mega thread: Looks amazing, but have yet to actually play anything with it.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

23 Skidoo posted:

Bought both the SEM and THQ modules to attach to my VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Right handed, and am so bored trying to create 3 virtual controllers so nearly 128 buttons can be used.

Pretty much suspect at this point that without using Joystick Gremlin and something that allows for separate Vendor/Product codes to allow it to act as its own device, it may not work in Mechwarrior 5, but I've heard reports that it works with Elite: Dangerous.

How do the throttle levers feel? My Saitek throttle quadrant feels a bit sticky and plasticky and I'd be interested in something smoother. The limited range of motion and small size of the levers looks like it might reduce precision though. I'd really rather have the Honeycomb Bravo but it's bit out of reach. :retrogames:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

2Jets posted:

Track IR is a big improvement over face tracking software. Once you get the curves set up you get used to how much you need to move your head, and clicking buttons and turning knobs is easy. But with that said even a cheap VR set is 1000X better than Track IR and you should definitely consider that if it's an option for you.

I wish. My graphics card already maxes out on this game at minimum settings.

Head tracking aside, this game has been a joy. Trying to land big passenger planes at all the little podunk airstrips I have lived near is a real treat, especially when it gets extra dicey when live weather is thrown in. Are there any recommended ultralight planes? I figure that if I ever pick up flying for real, it'd be in an ultralight or a paramotor, so I'd like to try something a bit closer to that in the game.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

How do the throttle levers feel? My Saitek throttle quadrant feels a bit sticky and plasticky and I'd be interested in something smoother. The limited range of motion and small size of the levers looks like it might reduce precision though. I'd really rather have the Honeycomb Bravo but it's bit out of reach. :retrogames:

The throttles are good and OK. Very fluid motion, and I've got two axis as one using the heads provided, though I may change that as I can't get one of the axis to not have its own dedicated virtual controller due to stupid bloody Windows and not allowing more than 8 axis per controller or even worse, 32 buttons. I have a lot of buttons that need 2 separate other virtual controllers, but the Vendor/Product code is the same if I use VJoy/Joystick Gremlin or VKBconfig, so it looks like Mechwarrior with this setup is but a fleeting dream.

I will be trying a few different games as soon as I can muster up the disappointment readiness in case I run into further problems.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm in love again with VTOL VR right now and have been using all my free time to play it, but definitely feel the lack of FOV (using a Quest 2) and how it does make you feel like you're in a box peering out of a small hole for a good while. I get frustrated in certain situations having no peripheral view.

Having a full screen to look at with head tracking, especially in a triple-wide setup feels so much better in some ways. I guess it's a trade off between immersion preferences and what type of activities are being done.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

AzureSkys posted:

I'm in love again with VTOL VR right now and have been using all my free time to play it, but definitely feel the lack of FOV (using a Quest 2) and how it does make you feel like you're in a box peering out of a small hole for a good while. I get frustrated in certain situations having no peripheral view.

Having a full screen to look at with head tracking, especially in a triple-wide setup feels so much better in some ways. I guess it's a trade off between immersion preferences and what type of activities are being done.

to increase Quest 2 FOV I've heard good things about alternative face padding that is really thin (which brings the lens closer to the eye). Alternatively you can tighten the strap a bit more

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Cross-posting from the DCS thread but I did not realize how important face tracking profiles were in OpenTrack. I've been using AI Track/OpenTrack via my webcam for a while now in MSFS and it worked ok enough out the box for sightseeing but still resulted in me usually not even bothering to turn it and just flying stick+mouse instead of HOTAS because of how often it would glitch out or lose center. About an hour before the goon server DCS flight Saturday I imported someone's preset DCS OpenTrack profile and suddenly it worked exactly as it should and it was amazing.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
New world update came out and literally not a single bug was addressed. Not even a tiny one. Really starting to get annoyed by how Asobo is dealing with updates/patches. I mean it’s great that we can now get a nicer looking Australia but at least throw in some fixes for the really obnoxious stuff. I’d rather they release more small patches to address individual problems instead of waiting to release a big update every few months (that’ll probably break other things anyway).

It’s honestly starting to feel like flight simulator is regressing with every update. especially with things like weather (that METAR stuff just plain sucks, screw the grognards and give me back the original weather system until you can actually make it work), I’d rather they address that, or ATC, or incorrect taxiways, or weird loading bugs, or the log book, connectivity issues, or even being able to press ESC to get back to your flight from the menu (something that they inexplicably took out), the list is endless.

It’s really frustrating me because there’s so much to love but that just makes all the bugs and annoyances stand out even more. Asobo being pretty much radio silent doesn’t help either.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think Asobo has switched to a system where bug fixes are confined to the sim updates, and the world updates are just scenery addons, since developers were getting sick of their products being broken every month when Asobo inevitably hosed up one of their bug fixes, and the new schedule gives Asobo a chance to actually test their "fixes" before they release them.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

azflyboy posted:

I think Asobo has switched to a system where bug fixes are confined to the sim updates, and the world updates are just scenery addons, since developers were getting sick of their poo poo being broken every month when Asobo inevitably hosed up one of their bug fixes and turned off gravity or something.

Yeah, bug fixes during world updates only made things more unpredictable for devs so they confined them to sim updates. Probably for the better to be honest, though yeah it's frustrating when bugs persist through new updates.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Shipon posted:

Yeah, bug fixes during world updates only made things more unpredictable for devs so they confined them to sim updates. Probably for the better to be honest, though yeah it's frustrating when bugs persist through new updates.

Can confirm from inside sources that this is how they are operating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Shipon posted:

I figured as much but I do think having these massive updates that change a huge amount of variables would make it harder for devs to troubleshoot where the problems occur, and for Asobo to work out what broke what. Having smaller, more focused, patches would probably make that considerably easier to troubleshoot. It would be nice if they had focused on their core product for a bit before 3rd party devs though, since I think that would've made everyone's lives easier in the long run too, but I guess it is what it is. According to the official forums not much should be expected in the form of real fixes until at least SU9, and that's a long way off, so we'll see.