Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The reviews Ive heard of TCM boil down to "theres a reason its on netflix and not in theaters"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
You can tell it wasn’t made for Netflix because it’s not a 12 part series, “season 2 already picked up!”

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The main appeal of watching the original TCM for me was that it's basically a goofy slapstick film in the body of a horror exploitation film. As long as leatherface slips on a banana a bunch of times in the last half hour or so I'm in.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Welcome... to the olympics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvSUsDZy788

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only way the new one will work is if Leatherface is earnestly worried about being cancelled and does everything he can to appear woke. He was a worry wart in the original, and seeked the approval of his peers.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a fitting pairing since the olympics also causes death and destruction on the behest of the wealthy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Netflix trailers? Here’s your netflix trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcI6SFiK_yk

Interesting that they used to spell it Chain Saw back in the day. It makes the graphic look incorrect.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwp32zLc08c

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFvupyiNEz0

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
After Yang is *extremely* my poo poo

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

These look real bad.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Columbus is one of my favorite movies and it feels incredibly underrated. Like a whole lot of people just don't know about it. Definitely worth watching, especially if you're a fan of Ozu films. I was pretty annoyed but also kinda glad that tickets to After Yang sold out almost immediately at Sundance.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

The only way the new one will work is if Leatherface is earnestly worried about being cancelled and does everything he can to appear woke. He was a worry wart in the original, and seeked the approval of his peers.

Then a plucky team of teen girls vows to give him a makeover in order to salvage his online image, as part of a montage set to the hottest beats.

He kills one of them with a meat tenderizer after a curling iron mishap

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yup.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Can you ...gently caress these robots? Do they get... hosed in the movie? Asking for a friend

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

please dont gently caress the adopted robot children

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sounds like the movie you're looking for is Ex Machina.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

GrandpaPants posted:

Sounds like the movie you're looking for is Ex Machina.

Naw, Austin Powers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pinocchio looking good

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Here I was hoping for a modern theatrical version of some Sartre but I guess not

although maybe it still could be depending on the ending

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 2, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTI6T5M8Fj0

Group trailer for Netflix's 2022 Movie Slate (No TV Shows)

Looks fun. Interesting conceit to think ahead to get these on-set addresses to cameras.

At least I'm assuming that's what they're doing. I think trying to get all those stars back (even individually) and into makeup/etc would be an even bigger logistical challenge than some EPK stunt.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
https://twitter.com/patrickhwillems/status/1489260279787450378?s=20&t=ISWifT2vB6puIXblghj-CQ

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember when the BBC switched over to a cheap digital production backend, and their Drama showreel for the season all looked the exact same just with a different color filter preset picked for each show.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Jamie Foxx doing the "move steering wheel back and forth to show you're Driving" during his made me laugh

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember when the BBC switched over to a cheap digital production backend, and their Drama showreel for the season all looked the exact same just with a different color filter preset picked for each show.

Fun fact: the reason why Netflix's movies all look so similar is that they have very strict guidelines making them so:

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000579527-Cameras-and-Image-Capture

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Jamie Foxx doing the "move steering wheel back and forth to show you're Driving" during his made me laugh

Actually older trucks like that, that's not really an uncommon thing. We were using something similar for a short film and I was driving it from the owner to location and holy poo poo I was literally doing that. Just ultra loose steering.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
And ironically, modern cars will have automatic lane management that could conceivably have a similar-looking effect.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

BonoMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTI6T5M8Fj0

Group trailer for Netflix's 2022 Movie Slate (No TV Shows)

Hell yeah, Knives Out 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AceOfFlames posted:

Fun fact: the reason why Netflix's movies all look so similar is that they have very strict guidelines making them so:

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000579527-Cameras-and-Image-Capture

Gross.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Unless I'm missing something those don't seem like strict guidelines regarding how to film things, just what cameras to use and specs they should have. Nothing about shot composition, aspect ratio, color timing (other than not baking color corrections into the shots).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Movies that look good are.. kinda the exception, I think? I don’t recall an era where movies just, like, looked good. If anything CGI standard have gotten good enough that the average movie doesn’t actively destroy your suspension of disbelief with obviously fake backdrops and models.

btw I’m talking about the baseline here; there’s no shortage of great-looking movies at any time, imo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Colonel Whitey posted:

Unless I'm missing something those don't seem like strict guidelines regarding how to film things, just what cameras to use and specs they should have. Nothing about shot composition, aspect ratio, color timing (other than not baking color corrections into the shots).

Theres been movies where they used those same cameras and they turned out great, but I can definitely see Netflix pushing some of the nobodies they have making these movies to just film it "whatever". It does take some craft to make digital work to produce a really cinematic and beautiful image.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Movies that look good are.. kinda the exception, I think? I don’t recall an era where movies just, like, looked good. If anything CGI standard have gotten good enough that the average movie doesn’t actively destroy your suspension of disbelief with obviously fake backdrops and models.

btw I’m talking about the baseline here; there’s no shortage of great-looking movies at any time, imo.

I think what's notable is that they all look sorta mediocre but in the same exact way, which makes it an aesthetic that defines this era of moviemaking and not in a good way. So that's what makes them look bad - individually they look sorta just fine, but taken as a whole they look so uniformly bleh.

e: when I say "all" I don't mean literally all movies of this era, mostly mid-to-high budget Netflix fare and the like.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jerkface posted:

Theres been movies where they used those same cameras and they turned out great, but I can definitely see Netflix pushing some of the nobodies they have making these movies to just film it "whatever". It does take some craft to make digital work to produce a really cinematic and beautiful image.

A good DP and Gaffer will be able to make a great looking film regardless of the medium and they're going to use a lot of the same tools regardless of the medium as well.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 5, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was going to say I think the main problem is the skeleton crews productions have had to use in the last two years

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i'm ready for knives out 2

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I honestly can't say I was expecting to see Jason Momoa in a Little Nemo adaptation!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Vandar posted:

I honestly can't say I was expecting to see Jason Momoa in a Little Nemo adaptation!

Oh heck yes, cautiously excited for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember Beasts of No Nation being great. It was a Netflix movie right?