Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

The HW ones are probably the easiest because it's just "have 50000000000 poetics".

Yeah, anima weapons are pretty simple to complete now, especially as long-term projects to dump poetics that you might get from various incidental sources. GC seals and crafter/gatherer scrip can also do some of the lifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Vampire pirate is kind of a powerful combo, honestly.

How does a vampire do piracy when they can't go over running water?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If Dracula's journey to Whitby is anything to go by, they just take boxes of soil to sleep in.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

All you need is a familiar to box you up and you're fine, just get you a Gizmo.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

sheesh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

AST HW relic also looks the best of all AST relics and indeed possibly best of all relics period

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Iol Imao

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I'm on midgardsormr, tell me who that is so i can go to their house and leave a passive-aggressive note in the guestbook

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fiye posted:

Short Answer: You don't until patch 6.2

Long Answer: You missed 2 windows of gil making w/ the new expansion. The post xpac launch happened so gathering/crafting gear and and materia are dirt cheap and savage happened so the i580 gear is already really cheap. (I just bought a set for .5m instead of making my own cheap)

If you want to make gil right now running Maps, Retainers (More = better), and Leve quest turn ins are all guaranteed sources of gil. Otherwise its a matter of finding your own niche that's underserved where you can make money. Levequest turn ins and quest turn ins are always good gil to be made. But the big money maker won't happen until patch 6.2 happens and you'll have about 24 hours to make big gil before everything deflates.

Things are selling for as little as tenth of what I was listing a month ago and that had already been a significant drop from the peak.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pollyanna posted:

Vampire pirate is kind of a powerful combo, honestly.

Different game, but relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHh1TxryWlw

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Classical gear is not worth the time to craft since you can get more gil doing almost anything else. It's a combo of DoH being so easy now and people not knowing how the market works so harder craft -> better than right?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question if I do decide to use Party Finder for running maps: What is the standard etiquette? Everyone who wants to participate brings a map?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Unlucky7 posted:

Question if I do decide to use Party Finder for running maps: What is the standard etiquette? Everyone who wants to participate brings a map?

The two big ones I see are:
Everyone brings a map. Free for all loot rolls.
Everyone brings a map. Owner rolls need on portal loot, everyone else greed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah you should always bring at least one map no matter what, but that's a small hurdle unless you are poor since you can just buy them off the MB. If you're joining a party, they'll usually put up the rules in the description. Either it's Your Map Your Loot where you pass on everything but your own map, or FFA, where you roll need on everything. If you're making your own party, do whatever you want. I run FFA almost exclusively myself if I can.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Only roll Need if it's your map" is a terrible system for several reasons, chief among them the fact that you're not guaranteed to get a portal. It puts you in a position where you're rooting for other people to have bad luck because if anyone else gets a portal it's less time spent on a map where you have a chance of actually getting something before the group disbands.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I like the hybrid system of owner Need outside portal, FFA inside portal.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Arist posted:

"Only roll Need if it's your map" is a terrible system for several reasons, chief among them the fact that you're not guaranteed to get a portal. It puts you in a position where you're rooting for other people to have bad luck because if anyone else gets a portal it's less time spent on a map where you have a chance of actually getting something before the group disbands.

theres also a good chance not everyone will get the memo, or will pretend to not get the memo if something good drops

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FFA means that when people get unlucky, they blame the RNG instead of getting mad at people. It’s worth it for that alone.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

hopeandjoy posted:

FFA means that when people get unlucky, they blame the RNG instead of getting mad at people. It’s worth it for that alone.

also less likely they'll leave when they did their map.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fiye posted:

also less likely they'll leave when they did their map.

Precisely. I'm way more incentivized to stay for everyone's maps, or at least as long as I have time to, when all the loot's on the table for me to take a shot at.

If it's my map my loot, why the gently caress would I not bounce as soon as I'm out of maps (aside from being a dick)?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Vampire pirate seems like a tough job to have, what with probably needing to do at least some daytime sailing.

Also I'll say it the only facial hair option for bunny boys gives them immediate dirtbag face.

edit: Oh right what I came here to say in the first place. I have to stay off Icy Veins, I bought myself Machinist 80 a while back for hitting some goal or other, and their rotation guide is insanely offputting. Different rotations for 3 or 4 targets? I would rather be a bad machinist that memorize this much poo poo.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

theironjef posted:

edit: Oh right what I came here to say in the first place. I have to stay off Icy Veins, I bought myself Machinist 80 a while back for hitting some goal or other, and their rotation guide is insanely offputting. Different rotations for 3 or 4 targets? I would rather be a bad machinist that memorize this much poo poo.

If a raid or extreme encounter ever has more than 3 targets consider it GGs go next.

I legitimately can't remember the last extreme/savage/ultimate fight that had more than 1 target outside of a quick add phase. A2S?

That's just info to make your dungeon run go faster when is kinda eh when hunt trains exist.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Keeping things vague but still using spoilers (EW): How much is it a pain in the rear end to get the minion from the final EW dungeon using Trusts?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
someone tell me whether this is brilliant or insane:

problem: in P2S, during the second predatory avarice, it can be pretty hard for the tank and DPS targeted by avarice to keep uptime, given the tiny section of the arena you're forced into
solution: have the party stack mid, just outside of dissociation, and have the two avarice people go to the edge of the boss. Use tank LB3+shields to zero out the damage from cataract so you don't take damage downs. Laugh all the way to fflogs with your two extra gcds of uptime.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think the problem with the door boss is the hardest bit of the fight is Pinax which comes right at the start, so you have all these people who lucked through it once who think they are ready to join phase 1 clear groups because they saw enrage then immediately die.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Fiye posted:

If a raid or extreme encounter ever has more than 3 targets consider it GGs go next.

I legitimately can't remember the last extreme/savage/ultimate fight that had more than 1 target outside of a quick add phase. A2S?

That's just info to make your dungeon run go faster when is kinda eh when hunt trains exist.

Right and I absolutely don't give a poo poo. I raid as GNB, I just want to get this to 90 to see the profane quests.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

sirtommygunn posted:

How does a vampire do piracy when they can't go over running water?

That's just rivers. You wouldn't describe the ocean as running now would you

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Had a guy in my eureka group tonight that kept saying he was gonna report people in the instance pulling too early. But almost every fate waited 3-4 minutes to start???

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Argas posted:

That's just rivers. You wouldn't describe the ocean as running now would you

Yes! All the ocean currents basically make up the largest flows of moving water on Earth. I guess FFXIV might just have oceans that aren't going anywhere though. It's Eorzea, everything's just crystals anyhow.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If your oceans are running you'd better go catch it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzPdgjtyS78

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Consummate Professional posted:

Had a guy in my eureka group tonight that kept saying he was gonna report people in the instance pulling too early. But almost every fate waited 3-4 minutes to start???

If the majority of people are there that just sounds like one guy whining and they should get to the fates faster.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

SettingSun posted:

If the majority of people are there that just sounds like one guy whining and they should get to the fates faster.

It was honestly a pretty good instance, wrapped up my pagos weapon. No one acknowledged the complaining and one guy was telling us about the XI days and why Eureka is the way it is

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

someone tell me whether this is brilliant or insane:

problem: in P2S, during the second predatory avarice, it can be pretty hard for the tank and DPS targeted by avarice to keep uptime, given the tiny section of the arena you're forced into
solution: have the party stack mid, just outside of dissociation, and have the two avarice people go to the edge of the boss. Use tank LB3+shields to zero out the damage from cataract so you don't take damage downs. Laugh all the way to fflogs with your two extra gcds of uptime.

thankfully my cotank and i are pld and gnb. if she gets it, she's already in req phase, else i just superbolide inside the cataract

if ranged dps get it too, great. melee dps, we thank you for your service

edit: but also yes the first time i did this i got an orange so, lmao

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 1, 2022

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Keeping things vague but still using spoilers (EW): How much is it a pain in the rear end to get the minion from the final EW dungeon using Trusts?

i ran it like 20-30 times with trust, no drop. i decide to run it once in duty finder to compare how long it takes, i see it drop for the first and only time ever, i rolled a 6

birds aren't loving real

edit: for reference, i was running it as reaper with graha tanking, urianger healing, estinien dps and the runs take about 22-24 minutes. you can wall pull everything except the very last pull, the tank usually ends up dying if you double pull that stuff. duty finder runs take about 20 minutes.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 1, 2022

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Just finished Shadowbringers after 3 years on this game...yet to but Endwalker. Doing the post expansions quests but you need to do Crystal Tower to continue, so as my Gunbreaker is at max, deciding to pump my healers to 50 and run through to not lose the xp. For someone who won't have done the raid before, is White Mage or Scholar more interesting to run through it with?

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

Weasling Weasel posted:

Just finished Shadowbringers after 3 years on this game...yet to but Endwalker. Doing the post expansions quests but you need to do Crystal Tower to continue, so as my Gunbreaker is at max, deciding to pump my healers to 50 and run through to not lose the xp. For someone who won't have done the raid before, is White Mage or Scholar more interesting to run through it with?

Uh. When I did ST spam for the relic I used WHM since all I did was pump stone 2s and the occasional medica 2. So I'd probably go with SCH on that.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Weasling Weasel posted:

unfortunately the crystal tower quests predate the development team locking down how item level sync was expected to work, and as a result the first two raids of the series are extremely boring. most bosses die before they can do a single mechanic, and the most interesting thing you'll do is stand on a button. just take whichever healer class you personally find more interesting

the third raid in the series is still pretty fun, at least

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

theironjef posted:

Yes! All the ocean currents basically make up the largest flows of moving water on Earth. I guess FFXIV might just have oceans that aren't going anywhere though. It's Eorzea, everything's just crystals anyhow.

The aether is stagnant. The Golden Age of Vampire Piracy is at hand.

Consummate Professional posted:

It was honestly a pretty good instance, wrapped up my pagos weapon. No one acknowledged the complaining and one guy was telling us about the XI days and why Eureka is the way it is

Oh is Eureka an XI throwback? Those cruel bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Venuz Patrol posted:

unfortunately the crystal tower quests predate the development team locking down how item level sync was expected to work, and as a result the first two raids of the series are extremely boring. most bosses die before they can do a single mechanic, and the most interesting thing you'll do is stand on a button. just take whichever healer class you personally find more interesting

the third raid in the series is still pretty fun, at least

Its not so much that they didn't have ilevel sync figured out - the issue was that there is a massive stat difference between ilevel 50 (minimum required) and i130 which everyone syncs to. There's a larger gap between 2.0-2.1 level 50 content and the 2.4 gear max. When most people were running LOTA new, they were i60 on average and there were two tanks and four dps per group meaning just lower dps output in general. Four off tanks on the behemoth were literally standing at their tower on the off cardinals and clicking them off anytime they came up because if not it would wipe the raid.

By the time you got to ilevel 90, you could blow past a lot of mechanics because you were 40 ilevels above the minimum. After HW dropped, everyone is going in at i130.

If you want to experience the content, get some goons together and min ilevel it. We did alexander min ilevel a week or so ago and it was awesome. We wiped to cruise chaser on propeller wind :lol:

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 1, 2022