Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A rocket launch typically emits 300 tonnes of CO2. Bezos's rocket uses hydrogen fuel, but the energy to create that fuel probably emits around 300 tonnes of CO2 because of thermodynamics. That's more than the lifetime emission of an average human being, although an average American emits that much in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
how much CO2 would burning Jeff Bezos emit?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bismuth posted:

how much CO2 would burning Jeff Bezos emit?

A net improvement of 8,000 tonnes, or twice the annual amount captured by the world's largest carbon capture facility in Iceland

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Feral Integral posted:

Working in the service industry r\n is loving wild. You want to the worst of covid obliviousness? Work in a hotel/resort/cruise ship etc and you will see some poo poo. No you will not be paid more than prepandemic lol

Like of course hospital workers are more at risk but at least there's some semblance of ppe effort and containment

The maskless idiots have descended on my city to protest against vaccines. A few hundred trucks blocking intersections and holding down their horns 24h a day since Friday, thousands of people on the street, including carrying confederate and swastika flags, storming businesses to intimidate service workers, spitting on service workers, throwing rocks at paramedics, robbing food from homeless shelters, etc. etc.

Police state these people are "peaceful".
Police also state they can't enforce the law because that would be too dangerous and risk inciting violence,

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

evilpicard posted:

Police state

Do you know how many times I had to re-read your post to interpret these two words correctly?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Do you know how many times I had to re-read your post to interpret these two words correctly?

You only see the police state when natives and environmentalists protest against resource extraction.

IE last week.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

evilpicard posted:

You only see the police state when natives and environmentalists protest against resource extraction.

IE last week.

Of if you protest the police themselves, or war.

CuteStorm
Sep 22, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it this or the climate thread that someone posted something that Bezos space adventure burned more energy than the average person uses in a lifetime? I tried googling it but I've gotten worse at google as I've grown older I guess

Not this thread but here you go: https://futurism.com/space-trip-lifetime-carbon

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

evilpicard posted:

The maskless idiots have descended on my city to protest against vaccines. A few hundred trucks blocking intersections and holding down their horns 24h a day since Friday, thousands of people on the street, including carrying confederate and swastika flags, storming businesses to intimidate service workers, spitting on service workers, throwing rocks at paramedics, robbing food from homeless shelters, etc. etc.

Police state these people are "peaceful".
Police also state they can't enforce the law because that would be too dangerous and risk inciting violence,

The cops issued a statement that it's their job to give the protestors a safe space to "grieve" lmao

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lmao local news bureau chief is out buying groceries for disabled woman because neoliberal hellstates have no ability to govern or care for their citizens.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ikanreed posted:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1337051/

police, adjective is a good kafkaesque movie that sounds like gibberish

"hey have you seen police, adjective?" even asked of people who have seen it requires a moment to process

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yeah the last scene of that movie is like 20 minutes long single take but shot on film so there's an akward cut cause I think 1000' roll is only 11 minutes. so I guess it's two takes.

and it rules and is insanely good, hits real hard, but it takes 2 really slow hours of pretty good movie to get there

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

drat I wanna watch Police, Adjective

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The main character is a cop being asked to bust a middle schooler for dealing weed, cause the kid shares it with two friends after school and the cops know about it because one of the friends is a snitch. They don't know where he gets it from though.

But the main character doesn't want to bust the kid, who would get several years in jail, instead he thinks he can at least find out who supplied the kid. And anyway weed will probably be legalized soon. but the superiors at the police station want a quick bust on an open/shut case.

Lots of 'detective' work ensues which is very realistically like begging a coworker at the DMV to look up who owns a particular car etc

So the last scene is the main character's due date to turn in all his findings and make the arrest, but he doesn't want to, he's still delaying it. So he sees the chief and says "I won't do it, I think its immoral". And the chief asks him to define immoral and writes his definition on a blackboard. The main character defines it as "something that if I do it I would feel bad or regret it later"

And the police chief makes him open a dictionary and look up the official Romanian definition, which is like "to act not in accordance with divine, legal, or traditional rules" which is totally different. The chief asks if he's religious and he says no, so he's forced to look up "legal" to see if feeling bad about something is in there

and after legal, police. and police can be a noun - a police officer, verb - to police the school for contraband, adjective - police car

anyway they mind-numbingly break down morality into finer and finer definitions for 20 minutes without much of a cut and they never find anything about personal feelings. then the cop goes and arrests the kid.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That sounds incredibly boring

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like at least when animes make their big climax a 20 minute discussion on the nature of morality or whatever its preceded by an anime fight

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tokin opposition posted:

You haven't gotten worse, PR firms have learned how to manipulate Google gooder. Plus google itself has gotten worse.

I roll my face on the keyboard and hit the enter key with my nose

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That sounds like my idea for a Batman movie called "Batman: Revenge of the Action" where the beginning is Batman fighting a bunch of some villain's goons and he kicks one guy and punches another guy and then we spend the whole movie with the guy he punched who is actually very injured and has to have a long hospital stay and physical therapy and find a way to pay his medical bills and it tears his family apart and we never ever see Batman again past the first 90 seconds

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Heartwarming: man disfigured by industrial accident says he wants to put a smile on everyone's face

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Inspirational: scientist pays frozen wife's medical bills with one weird trick banks don't want you to know

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That sounds like my idea for a Batman movie called "Batman: Revenge of the Action" where the beginning is Batman fighting a bunch of some villain's goons and he kicks one guy and punches another guy and then we spend the whole movie with the guy he punched who is actually very injured and has to have a long hospital stay and physical therapy and find a way to pay his medical bills and it tears his family apart and we never ever see Batman again past the first 90 seconds

Which villain is the main character a goon for? This is very important.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

And it was all over Hostess pies.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
I’ve never understood why Mr Freeze was a villain. aside from the times I’ve seen him gang up with other more obvious bad guys it’s always to do more research to cure his wife, and that’s all I can think of him doing outside the times he makes bad business deals with aforementioned baddies.

like Jesus batman just beat up all the nerd widowers why don’t ya

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
All I'm saying is I want a Batman movie directed by Ken Loach

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Red Baron posted:

I’ve never understood why Mr Freeze was a villain. aside from the times I’ve seen him gang up with other more obvious bad guys it’s always to do more research to cure his wife, and that’s all I can think of him doing outside the times he makes bad business deals with aforementioned baddies.

like Jesus batman just beat up all the nerd widowers why don’t ya

have you ever looked at "nerd culture"? mr. freeze probably has a funko pop collection somewhere and that's all the evidence i need as to why it's ok for batman to beat him up

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

have you ever looked at "nerd culture"? mr. freeze probably has a funko pop collection somewhere and that's all the evidence i need as to why it's ok for batman to beat him up

batman is the one that lives alone in a cave with a bunch of toys and animal costumes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/jonrosenberg/status/1488229253154054144?t=Nq0qcHBXCm_hxpnf25DsxA&s=19

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

batman is the one that lives alone in a cave with a bunch of toys and animal costumes

I wrote my final gender studies paper on a Batman comic (Killing Joke). Pretty dumb, but the point is that Batman, aside from being a billionaire vigilante, is basically a repressed neurodivergent who does everything in his power to conform to society and make others do the same. He's pretty terrible. The Joker on the other hand is gently caress-you-queer and cool (aside from the murdering)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

BonHair posted:

I wrote my final gender studies paper on a Batman comic

Jesus christ it’s like you’re begging for a swirlie

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This is a movie I'd love to watch. But I'd also like to see a movie about hackers where it's all about spearphishing and bribing disgruntled IT guys, so my ideas are probably not the most marketable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Orange DeviI posted:

Jesus christ it’s like you’re begging for a swirlie

That's what the avatar is actually depicting, the constant swirlie machine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Now do a gender studies paper on Jared Leto's Joker

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also "I wrote my final gender studies paper on a Batman comic" better fuckin' show up on that goons.txt twitter account because goddamn

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I wrote my final gender studies paper on a big bed with my wife.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

I wrote my final gender studies paper on a big bed with my wife.

I also wrote my gender studies paper in bed with this guy's wife

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Also "I wrote my final gender studies paper on a Batman comic" better fuckin' show up on that goons.txt twitter account because goddamn

Nah, that’s pretty normal for gender studies. I did an English paper on Wolverine and Mystique’s gender politics for a class that included studying comics. There’s a big difference between being the nerd that tries to crowbar their nerd poo poo into every class (bad) and being the nerd who writes cultural analysis papers critically about stuff they already like and are now thinking about at an academic level (what many profs want you to do in the humanities these days).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

Nah, that’s pretty normal for gender studies. I did an English paper on Wolverine and Mystique’s gender politics for a class that included studying comics. There’s a big difference between being the nerd that tries to crowbar their nerd poo poo into every class (bad) and being the nerd who writes cultural analysis papers critically about stuff they already like and are now thinking about at an academic level (what many profs want you to do in the humanities these days).

None of this makes it any less funny or swirlie-worthy. It just sounds like your professor also deserved a swirlie.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Arivia posted:

yeah that doesn’t sound like nerd poo poo at all you’re right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

On the one hand I get the point of thinking about stuff you're already into or pop culture general audience stuff in an academic, critical way to better understand that whole process and how it applies to different things. I can see how that can be very helpful and important.

On the other hand, I can't control my urge to shove y'all in a locker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maybe I'm just not tolerant and open enough as a person, I don't know. Give me your lunch money.