Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vakal posted:

Yeah, something def went wrong with the texture unpacking.

For example when shooting doors, instead of sparks I get the sign above the entranceway of the train station in map 2.

nice, looks like someone modded blood into cruelty squad :eyepoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vakal posted:

For example when shooting doors, instead of sparks I get the sign above the entranceway of the train station in map 2.

Bad Acid: Fresh Supply

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also upon further testing, it would appear the new mini-gillbeast enemies are spitting streams of gargoyles instead of poison.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Are you sure you're not playing one of those fake creepypasta games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hey guys check out my latest ROM hack where i’ve hosed up all the textures.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Vakal posted:

This is amazing and I would argue it's even better that way

Reminds me of when Rainbow Six suddenly decided to swap the smoke textures with face textures and this unholy abomination poured out its wrath

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Scarier than anything in F.E.A.R. to be honest!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

treat posted:

The axe is permanent berserk pack when doing pistol start axe start warrior mode on every map. I haven't seen it mentioned (maybe people aren't aware?) that it sucks enemies toward you, letting you corral groups of enemies by circle strafing and pulling them from the herd one at a time, or dancing with tankier enemies. The overcharge absolutely wrecks house like a speedboat propeller in a fishery tank, sucking everyone into the carnage. It also does insane damage to bosses--I beat the Ep. 3 boss (the giant eye hurricane that throws blocks at you) on evil difficulty by getting up in his grill with that spinning axe and circle strafing around him because it did so much damage I could just tank whatever he could hit me with.

Axe is the best weapon in the game, that's my take, pretty much.

I didn’t consider axe starts I suppose. In which case, yeah, overcharge axe would be a lot better, since it doesn’t cost ammo and most overcharges are pretty much a good way to dump all your mana into damage. It’s just that in a normal play through overcharge time spent with something other than the Star of Torment (or maybe claw/aeturnum) is time wasted, imo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well there goes any hope of us getting more Marathon remasters

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

RyokoTK posted:

I didn’t consider axe starts I suppose. In which case, yeah, overcharge axe would be a lot better, since it doesn’t cost ammo and most overcharges are pretty much a good way to dump all your mana into damage. It’s just that in a normal play through overcharge time spent with something other than the Star of Torment (or maybe claw/aeturnum) is time wasted, imo.

IME there's more than enough ammo on almost all maps, but axe starting will make you fall in love with how satisfying and fun it is to use.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah ax starting AE levels is legit even on EVIL difficulty and provides a nice challenge

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Barudak posted:

Huh?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

I don’t think Bungie has cared about Marathon in a very long time beyond throwing a helmet in Halo/Destiny once or twice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sony bought bungie, as part of their live service push

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah cause Bungie were gonna do anything about that, right after they remake Pathways into Darkness.

Maybe they’ll re-port the 360 Marathon 2 to PS5 lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Maybe Sony buying them will “inspire” them to make something new. I don’t care for Destiny.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I really wanted to like Destiny but pretty much everything about the game ruined it for me

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They've supposedly been working on something for years but we don't even know if it's an fps

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

skasion posted:

I really wanted to like Destiny but pretty much everything about the game ruined it for me

It was cool until they started removing paid content with the promise of bringing it back in the future.(hasn't happened yet and no signs of it either)

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

MMF Freeway posted:

They've supposedly been working on something for years but we don't even know if it's an fps

Minotaur Mobile confirmed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

caleb posted:

Minotaur Mobile confirmed.

Time to buy an xperia

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Now they just need to convince Sony to buy Take 2 and recover the Myth and Oni IPs. The circle will be complete

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1488523352314679298

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

God I'm so old.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Man, could you imagine if Bungie actually did a full immsim Pathways into Darkness remake? This'd be the perfect environment to bring that back.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Grimthwacker posted:

Man, could you imagine if Bungie actually did a full immsim Pathways into Darkness remake? This'd be the perfect environment to bring that back.

imo it would be better suited as a metroidvania but yeah hell yeah

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

lol

(Ein and Falco were cool, shame about the rest of HNK2 though! :v:)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
FPS Metroidvanias feel like a gravely underexplored genre, though to be fair I'm probably missing something obvious.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Kins posted:

FPS Metroidvanias feel like a gravely underexplored genre, though to be fair I'm probably missing something obvious.

Hexen? :haw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hexen is locksmith's hell simulator.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
System Shock 1 and 2 definitely have those elements but I wouldn't call them Metroidvanias exactly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's something I've ruminated on in the past, but basically immersive sims and Metroidvanias have a degree of overlap in how they engage the player w/r/t problem solving. This even extends into unintended, player-engineered solutions; Samus can infinite bomb jump, JC Denton can climb using LAMs.

But also structurally the two genres work very differently from each other. My offhand, glib comparison being that one offers problems with multiple solutions and the other offers solutions that solve multiple problems.

The Kins posted:

I mean, aside from the Metroid Prime games? There's uh...Supraland.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 2, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Powerslave is the closest thing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I mean, an ImSim is basically a Metroidvania with dialogue options, right?

Ok, well, not really but I kinda feel like they're cousin genres.

Edit: oh, John Murdoch said it smarter.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

John Murdoch posted:

It's something I've ruminated on in the past, but basically immersive sims and Metroidvanias have a degree of overlap in how they engage the player w/r/t problem solving. This even extends into unintended, player-engineered solutions; Samus can infinite bomb jump, JC Denton can climb using LAMs.

But also structurally the two genres work very differently from each other. My offhand, glib comparison being that one offers problems with multiple solutions and the other offers solutions that solve multiple problems.

Dark City is my favorite movie.

On topic, I've never played Pathways Into Darkness. What's the best way to do that nowadays? Is it worth playing?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
metro451

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Didn’t some people who worked on Powerslave later go work on the Metroid Prime games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
XIII looks great in 4K. Game was a decent time. Shame about that remake...