Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Seams posted:

Can’t believe enough people are still watching the fed for it to qualify for WMOTY’s

Rumble this year had a big trainwreck aura and with AEW not renewing certain contracts and Cody still a freelancer there was buzz about a possible gently caress you debut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've never seen a PPV where every match was a WMOTYC. That's incredible.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Teddybear posted:

WMOTYC: Seth Rollins v. Roman Reigns, WWE Royal Rumble 1/29
WMOTYC: Women's Royal Rumble, WWE Royal Rumble 1/29
WMOTYC: Becky Lynch v. Doudrop, WWE Royal Rumble 1/29
WMOTYC: Edge and Beth Phoenix v. The Miz and Maryse, WWE Royal Rumble 1/29
WMOTYC: Brock Lesnar v. Bobby Lashley, WWE Royal Rumble 1/29
WMOTYC: Men's Royal Rumble, WWE Royal Rumble 1/29

Maybe the worst premium live event I've seen.

Nth nth nth what drizzling poo poo even by wwe standards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

Can’t believe enough people are still watching the fed for it to qualify for WMOTY’s

I can't believe people are nominating it for WMOTYs. WWE gave you the show it promised. A good show would have been false advertising.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Testekill posted:

I didn't know it was possible to have a show that only got WMOTYCs.

Heroes of Wrestling?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Maigius posted:

Heroes of Wrestling?

Eh, that show had Tully Blanchard vs Stan Lane and 2Cold Scorpio vs Julio Dinero which were fine, it's just the lows were a hell of a lot sadder

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

SG Bamboo posted:

Eh, that show had Tully Blanchard vs Stan Lane and 2Cold Scorpio vs Julio Dinero which were fine, it's just the lows were a hell of a lot sadder

Heroes of Wrestling featured an addict hitting rock bottom on live television in the main event and that wasn't even the worst match of the show.

Two matches where you could say "Eh, that kinda stunk, but I wouldn't be THAT offended if I saw that on weekly TV" aren't enough to rescue Heroes of Wrestling from being the worst of all time.

But it doesn't sound like anything on tonight's Fed show even reached that level. Like, the vibe I'm getting is "no negative star matches, but nothing above 1.75 either."

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

maruhkati posted:

Heroes of Wrestling featured an addict hitting rock bottom on live television in the main event and that wasn't even the worst match of the show.

Two matches where you could say "Eh, that kinda stunk, but I wouldn't be THAT offended if I saw that on weekly TV" aren't enough to rescue Heroes of Wrestling from being the worst of all time.

But it doesn't sound like anything on tonight's Fed show even reached that level. Like, the vibe I'm getting is "no negative star matches, but nothing above 1.75 either."

It's almost certainly the worst show of all time, but that wasn't the question posed. I do not believe that the two matches I mentioned would have got WMOTYC nods, which is what Maigius said in response to Testekill

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I don't think Seth/Roman deserves a wmotyc. The finish was terrible but I thought the rest was pretty good.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Stall_19 posted:

I don't think Seth/Roman deserves a wmotyc. The finish was terrible but I thought the rest was pretty good.

It was a pretty boring, by-the-numbers WWE match and I thought they'd turn it up a little. Throw in the Roman soliloquy and the dogshit finish and that puts it over the line for me.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

SG Bamboo posted:

It's almost certainly the worst show of all time, but that wasn't the question posed. I do not believe that the two matches I mentioned would have got WMOTYC nods, which is what Maigius said in response to Testekill

This thread being this thread, I think they would've been dragged in by proximity to the rest, and the fact that you really can't call either match "good" either. Lane/Blanchard had a lovely finish and Scorpio whiffed the Tumbleweed and got the three count anyway.

Though obviously, the real debate would've been between the main and Sheikie/Volkoff vs. the Bushwhackers.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 30, 2022

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

fez_machine posted:

Rumble this year had a big trainwreck aura and with AEW not renewing certain contracts and Cody still a freelancer there was buzz about a possible gently caress you debut

Joke's on you if you expected WWE to do something interesting.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

This is like the mirror universe version of coming back to this thread after missing a big AEW PPV lol. This has to be the record for most WMOTYCs on a single show, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looks like Wrestlemania in 2019 currently holds that record, with EIGHT successful WMOTYC nominations! :stare:

04/07 | Shane McMahon vs. The Miz in a Falls Count Anywhere match - Wrestlemania 35
04/07 | The Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal - Wrestlemania 35
04/07 | Women's Battle Royal - Wrestlemania 35
04/07 | Brock Lesnar (C) vs. Seth Rollins for the Universal Championship - Wrestlemania 35
04/07 | Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre - Wrestlemania 35
04/07 | HHH vs. Batista in a No Holds Barred match - Wrestlemania 35
04/07 | Kurt Angle vs. Baron Corbin - Wrestlemania 35
04/07 | Ronda Rousey (C) vs. Charlotte Flair (C) vs. Becky Lynch in a Winner Takes All match - Wrestlemania 35

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm starting to think this forum might be a little overly dramatic about the badness of matches on a bad WWF show

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Teddybear posted:

WMOTYC: Edge and Beth Phoenix v. The Miz and Maryse, WWE Royal Rumble 1/29

Nth. Whatever good bits there might have been (Rollins' entrance, Ivory, Johnny Knoxville) were all heavily outweighed by the terrible finishes to the matches.

When Bad Bunny gets better booking than anyone in the Rumble not named Brock, we've got a problem. Not that he didn't actually work his rear end off in the ring, mind you, just that we need people besides one of the celebrity guests to be booked that well.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 30, 2022

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

becky vs doudrop and miz/maryse vs edge/beth are innofensive compared to the rest. they had logical booking and a clean finish and the right people won compared to the two title matches and the two rumbles.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jerusalem posted:

04/07 | Shane McMahon vs. The Miz in a Falls Count Anywhere match - Wrestlemania 35

oh this wasnt thaaaat bad

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

graph posted:

oh this wasnt thaaaat bad

i believe it was nominated for moty as well dunno if that was partially ironic or not because of mizdad

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:rubby: there were 3 successful WMOTY nominations total all month/year as of 8 hours ago and now there's 9, hell of a thing to wake up to

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

xbilkis posted:

I'm starting to think this forum might be a little overly dramatic about the badness of matches on a bad WWF show

There's nothing worse than a Rumble where the obvious winner comes in 28 to 30. And it happened in both Rumbles tonight.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol

Lmao

WMOTYC: Women's Royal Rumble, WWE Royal Rumble, 29/01
WMOTYC: Men's Royal Rumble, WWE Royal Rumble, 29/01

I didn't watch the rest

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

xbilkis posted:

We don't have a WHM category, and HM has been "hey this is pretty decent, check it out" for a long time rather than an actual Honorable Mention for a Match of the Year Candidate, so it's fine.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT Sweet Dreams! ~ Ultimate Tag League 2022 Night 1 ~ January 30th
HM
Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi, Yukio Sakaguchi, Saki Akai and Hideki Okatani) vs Akito, Soma Takao, Toi Kojima and Yuya Koroku
- Okatani in Eruption is such a funny visual, but he really feels like he's becoming comfortable in his skin. A fast paced 8-person tag that made everyone look good in 12 minutes, can't ask for more than that

37KAMIINA (Konosuke Takeshita and Yuki Ueno) vs DisasterBox (?) (Kazuki Hirata and Shuji Kondo)
- More Shuji Kondo in DDT please, he worked really well with the Sauna Boys. Take continues to rule, Hirata got to show off that he's actually a really good wrestler when he's not doing comedy, and Ueno got to hit his old DB buddy real hard and fly around a bunch. Very good stuff

Calamari Drunken Kings (Chris Brookes and Masahiro Takanashi) vs DisasterBox (HARASHIMA and Naomi Yoshimura)
- Big fan of Harashima and his son, while CDK more than held up their end of it

Daisuke Sasaki (c) vs Minoru Fujita - DDT Universal Championship
- Would you look at that, a match where Paulie doesn't interfere too much is real good because Sasaki is a real good wrestler. At least when he doesn't forget

DDT effortlessly shits on WWE, it's such an easy to watch product. Even the Pheromones match was more watchable than usual since Imanari subbed in for Dieno

sticklefifer posted:

We don't have a WHM category, and HM has been "hey this is pretty decent, check it out" for a long time rather than an actual Honorable Mention for a Match of the Year Candidate, so it's fine.

Yeah for me HM has always been 'check this out if you've got time' and MOTYC is 'make time for this', otherwise this thread would have dried up after the cage match last year if it were people actually thinking it was a new match of the year

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

HMOTYC: Gabriel Kidd vs Francesco Akira. RevPro High Stakes 29/01

These two beat the absolute poo poo out of each other and it was amazing. Akira did his job as an underdog babyface brilliantly and Kidd looked like a loving monster

Bumping this up to MOTYC (post edited to reflect that)

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs Michael Oku RevPro High Stakes 2022

Absolutely fantastic storytelling throughout the match, great selling, a white hot crowd and a standout performance from Oku makes up for the wrong finish

Ziggy Tzardust fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 30, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A reminder, since I undertook a great deal of scientific research to break down the necessary qualifications for a match to be considered a MOTYC, a WMOTYC, or an HM. I got tenure for this!

Jerusalem posted:

A match is a MOTYC, a WMOTYC or an HM if you think it is and post the nomination in-thread. That's it. That's all the qualification needed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs Michael Oku

Assuming this is from the same RevPro High Stakes show as your other nomination?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

SG Bamboo posted:

Blanchard/Lane probably would've gotten knee-jerk WMOTYC votes for the dusty finish and then it doesn't take a whole lot for someone to just go "gently caress it" and nom the Scorp match too

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Assuming this is from the same RevPro High Stakes show as your other nomination?

That's right. Edited

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Teddybear posted:

WMOTYC: Becky Lynch v. Doudrop, WWE Royal Rumble

Nth to all these it was horrifyingly awful

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Rarity posted:

WMOTYC: Women's Royal Rumble, WWE Royal Rumble, 29/01
WMOTYC: Men's Royal Rumble, WWE Royal Rumble, 29/01

I didn't watch the rest

Nth to both.

The last WWE thing I watched before the Rumbles last night was the 2021 Rumble because I do the roulette game with some friends, and even that couldn't make these bearable. No memorable moments, no fun surprises, just plodding boring crap. I don't think I'd even bother next year, they have managed to make the most fun match in wrestling to be extremely bland.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

MOTYC: Gabriel Kidd vs Francesco Akira. RevPro High Stakes 29/01

These two beat the absolute poo poo out of each other and it was amazing. Akira did his job as an underdog babyface brilliantly and Kidd looked like a loving monster

Come to think of it, a couple more from Revpro High Stakes 29/01

HM: Yota Tsuji vs Shota Umino

It's weird being able to say with a reasonable amount of certainty that you're watching a future Tokyo Dome main event. Both guys are super over, they obviously know each other really well and the action was really smooth and told their story well. I'm sure there's better matches to come from these two but it's a nice preview of the future of New Japan

MOTYC: Sunshine Machine vs Aussie Open for the RPW Tag Team Titles

I've never been as hot on Sunshine Machine as a lot of people in BritWres. Maybe I can't get over the fact that Chuck Mambo looks like he's going to sell me ketamine at a festival. However, this match showed me why they're so highly regarded. I won't go into specifics but it was a real standout performance from them.

High Stakes was really good and you should watch it on VOD when it's out

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Some catchup:

MOTYC: Cody Vs Sammy Guevara
MOTYC: Orange Cassidy vs BUDGE

Both from AEW Beach Break.

E:

[b)HM ]Serpentico vs HOOK AEW Rampage 21.01[/b]

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 30, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

HM: Carmelo Hayes vs Roderick Strong Title Unification Match - NXT New Years EVil 01/04

Real close to an MOTYC for me, excellent stuff

As part of an effort to watch at least a little non-AEW US wrestling this year I looked at Cagematch ratings for stuff I've missed this year for things people seemed to enjoy.

So I'll second this, Roddy is still very good & did a good job helping elevate this dude Hayes. Bivens facial reactions on the outside are far too good.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
HM: Jungle Boy/Luchasaurus (c) vs. Private Party for the AEW World Tag Team Championship, AEW Rampage: Beach Break Championship Friday, 28/01
HM: Jon Moxley vs. Anthony Bowens - AEW Rampage: Beach Break Championship Friday 1/28

Good show - washes the taste of that Rumble out of my mouth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
29th January
Stardom 11th Anniversary Nagoya Supreme Fight 2022
Goddesses Of Stardom Titles
STARS (Hazuki & Koguma) vs Donna Del Mondo (Himeka & Maika)

HM
29th January
Wonder of Stardom Title
Saya Kamitani vs Unagi Sayaka

MOTYC
29th January
World Of Stardom #1 Contendership
Giulia vs Mayu Iwatani

MOTYC
29th January
World Of Stardom Title
Syuri vs MIRAI

Really great show

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Teddybear posted:

WMOTYC: Men's Royal Rumble, WWE Royal Rumble 1/29[/b]

Nth these two. Shite. Rest were fine.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Cody Rhodes (C) vs. Sammy Guevara for the TNT Championship - AEW Dynamite Beach Break 1/26

2nd

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Orange Cassidy vs. Adam Cole in a Lights Out Match - AEW Dynamite Beach Break 1/26

Really, really fun match though the structure got a little weird at points. Loved the ending though.

2nd

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
3rd January
Freedoms Happy New Freedom 2022
King of FREEDOM Title
Glassboard & Fluorescent Lighttubes Death Match

Jun Kasai vs Rina Yamashita

Hell to the yeah, I love this poo poo. Two absolute sickos who happen to be fantastic pros at their trade.

Somehow this is on Freedoms YouTube so no excuse not to catch it. Well, I guess unless you're squeamish...

Kasai should not be able to go as hard as he goes at his age but bless him for that

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

forkboy84 posted:

HM
29th January
Goddesses Of Stardom Titles
STARS (Hazuki & Koguma) vs Donna Del Mondo (Himeka & Maika)

HM
29th January
Wonder of Stardom Title
Saya Kamitani vs Unagi Sayaka

MOTYC
29th January
World Of Stardom #1 Contendership
Giulia vs Mayu Iwatani

MOTYC
29th January
World Of Stardom Title
Syuri vs MIRAI

Really great show

Hell yeah, nth. What the gently caress Mirai!