Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Ditocoaf posted:

An image that kept springing to mind when thinking how I was going to answer Boba Pearl's question, was the comic Necropolis. (One of those comics that's stopped updating for years and revived briefly several times, which may come back some day but will probably never finish. But possibly my favorite comic in that category.)

I don't actually think it's a perfect example of anything we're talking about, but I'm suddenly considering posting it here from the beginning.
Please do! It is an excellent comic. Somebody give Jake Wyatt infinity dollars so he can make more Necropolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

An image that kept springing to mind when thinking how I was going to answer Boba Pearl's question, was the comic Necropolis. (One of those comics that's stopped updating for years and revived briefly several times, which may come back some day but will probably never finish. But possibly my favorite comic in that category.)

I don't actually think it's a perfect example of anything we're talking about, but I'm suddenly considering posting it here from the beginning.

I'd read it.That art is rad.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

Ronnie's choice

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Boba Pearl posted:

I feel like I already know the answer by the vast love of Thorsby comics, but do you like it when the magic system is very explained, or like "it's magic."

Depends on if it is relevant to the story and if you have no other way of conveying the rules. World building is not a suitable replacement for a story and many fantasy settings fall into that trap. So if you need outright exposition to explain a magic system, it should be relevant, foreshadow something important, be interesting, and most importantly be worth the time that could otherwise be spent moving the story forward. But if a magic system is going to be constantly relevant you can probably just show-don't-tell it being used as long as you're consistent.

And if it's not relevant enough, you can still hint at it and let it be a mystery, proving your world is bigger than just what's shown. Consistency is key there too, to be worthy of the reader's curiosity. Sometimes you can have entire rule systems that are rigid and objective, but aren't explicit in the text, yet determine what events/elements do or do not happen in your story. Often these are in a "story bible" and I think of them as a DNA or a molding that leaves a purposeful negative space, a consistent absence that proves the nature of your world.

Just be careful not to stop the story dead in its tracks to explain something, and what time you use better be worth it. Thornsby gets away with it because he is a master of foreshadowing and most of his asides are comedic and absurd in their length and detail (similar to Hitchhiker's Guide).

I think your comic since the introduction of frog uncle has been pretty good at this. Maybe could use 5% more explanation. For instance, when one of the characters turned into a panther I lost track of what was going on, but it wasn't a hindrance.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm fine with "its magic", and agree with the sentiment to not use it as an excuse for an rear end-pull, because rear end-pulls are bad. Thorsby is good because he's good at what he does, not because what he does is intrinsically good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Thorsby is good because he's good at what he does, not because what he does is intrinsically good.

The Wolverine of webcomic creators

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bloop posted:

I would certainly be happy to see more

I too. It kinda sucks when weird webcomics just kind of peter out and fade away before finishing. Alien Loves Predator and Ectopiary come to mind.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snake Maze posted:

I think you don’t necessarily need to lay everything out and have a bunch of exposition on how it works, but if magic is going to be an important part of the setting you the author need to know how it works and have consistent rules for what magic is capable of.

yeah, this. you only need to explain the bare minimum the audience needs to understand things, but the unspoken rules need to have some sense of coherency.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ditocoaf posted:

just chiming in wyatt's art is great and he also illustrated the first (and not the terrible second) one-shot of spiderverse that introduced us to peni parker

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Alright!

Before each chapter, Necropolis drops a few pages of illustrated lore, which are definitely cool and not entirely optional, but I don't think are a great fit for the post-a-day format that I like in this thread. Instead of posting them on their own or dumping them all at once, I'm going to post one page of the prologue-lore alongside each of the first three pages of the actual chapter. I've reread to make sure, and I think this will work well:

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Feb 1, 2022

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I feel like I already know the answer by the vast love of Thorsby comics, but do you like it when the magic system is very explained, or like "it's magic."
I think I generally agree with fantasy doorstopper author Brian Sanderson's take. It's fine if magic is magical, as long as it doesn't solve the plot.

You don't need to explain what exactly Gandalf can do or how he does it, but Gandalf also can't magic away problems without it being unsatisfying.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Foxfire_ posted:

I think I generally agree with fantasy doorstopper author Brian Sanderson's take. It's fine if magic is magical, as long as it doesn't solve the plot.

You don't need to explain what exactly Gandalf can do or how he does it, but Gandalf also can't magic away problems without it being unsatisfying.

I've tried to understand his vaunted magic system but I can't see it under the constant barrage of push pull pull push burned push pull burn

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Foxfire_ posted:

sanserson doesnt know poo poo about anything and shouldnt be listened to

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've never read a sanderson but it seems like a decent enough take. Mayhaps not gospel, but I don't see following it ever leading you wrong.

I was going to say that magic in your setting should be concrete enough to serve its place in the plot. No matter how well thought out you have it in your head (and, to be clear, this isn't directed at you specifically Boba), the reader probably doesn't care unless the details of how magic works are important to the work; worldbuilding on the page should serve the story at hand. Its why the Silmarillion isn't part of the LotR, or moreover the hobbit. A story with a Vancian wizard that only takes place over a single day can get by with "I can only cast these spells, once each", whatever it takes to recharge isn't salient. (I've never read any Vance either.)

Fantastic Foreskin has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Feb 1, 2022

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm all about soft magic. Patricia McKillip, Peter Beagle, the kind of thing where you don't have rules so much as vibes, where the magic has to fit the tone more than any hard and fast set of preestablished rules. Sanderson's perspective is logical and so are his magic systems, but he doesn't acknowledge the value of vibes-based magic.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

https://wiki.lspace.org/Narrativium

that is the best answer to questions about rules

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'll refine what I said in my first response by cutting it down to what I think is my ultimate takeaway:

Vibes-based or detailed-rules magic can both be amazing, or anything in between, because there are tons of different roles magic can take in a story. What ultimately makes the difference is that the author has a really good feel for what they want magic to be in this fictional universe, and is skilled at executing on that vision. Boring or unsatisfying magic is usually the result of an author unthinkingly importing how-magic-works from various inspirations and not making it cohere, either with its constituent parts or with its significance in the story.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I drew this to commemorate the utterly horrible weather we're having presently. Thankyou for your sympathy towards those of us who live in Australia

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
It's hot as hell in NZ and we aren't even getting close to your ridiculous temperatures :sweatdrop: please don't melt!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Sleve McDichael posted:

It's hot as hell in NZ and we aren't even getting close to your ridiculous temperatures :sweatdrop: please don't melt!

Sorry, I missed that, I was distracted by the sound of bits of myself being peeled off other bits of myself

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

I drew this to commemorate the utterly horrible weather we're having presently. Thankyou for your sympathy towards those of us who live in Australia

Amazing.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tree Bucket posted:

hello fellow sufferer

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I see you. It's hot as balls today.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's cold actually, and snowy

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I hope a snow leopard eats you

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if i'm reading something with magic in it's because i'm reading for light entertainment, so the best magic system is one where the author does all the thinking work for me and i can burble "huh huh funny light go brrrrrrr"

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Tree Bucket posted:

I hate how this works both for the body, and the world. It's a really good comic.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I popped into read this thread a few months back and was very quickly enthralled by Hitmen for Destiny (it was during the part where Lostclock was stuck in a cylinder with the acid rising) and I am very excited every time a new post appears - and really look forward to more of his work being posted!

There is something extremely engrossing about the comic and while I know it would be so easy to pop over to his site and read it all like I genuinely want to, there is something nicer about having these bite size chunks with posting around it. Thank you for posting it :)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It feels very good to see the webcomic in it's original form kind of, where you'd get periodic updates that help with the pacing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, it simulates the effect of waiting for weekly updates and talking about them.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Yeah same, which is why when it is over I will be shamelessly begging for Trixie slaughteraxe to be posted in the same way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Í had a lot of fun with that thread. I actually managed to guess a few of the twist puzzles, Thorsby set up in that story, which made me weirdly proud and a bit concerned for my sanity.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

I'll refine what I said in my first response by cutting it down to what I think is my ultimate takeaway:

Vibes-based or detailed-rules magic can both be amazing, or anything in between, because there are tons of different roles magic can take in a story. What ultimately makes the difference is that the author has a really good feel for what they want magic to be in this fictional universe, and is skilled at executing on that vision. Boring or unsatisfying magic is usually the result of an author unthinkingly importing how-magic-works from various inspirations and not making it cohere, either with its constituent parts or with its significance in the story.

I think Thorsby really emphasizes how a "magic system" or "world building exposition" or whatever we want to consider it is something that's interdependent on other elements of the storytelling. Like, Thorsby's love of sharing complicated evolutionary nonsense only works because everyone, not just Lostclock, talks in a style that doesn't go for naturalism. Jymre's "Otherwise I will not be able to warn her not to step on the landmine and that will significantly increase the probability that she will step on the landmine!" as a punchline helps affirm the reality that this is a comic where characters are going to be unnecessarily verbose about things. He's also a very detail-focused artist, with an art style that feels low detail, which encourages people to read his comics like a treasure hunt and look for things like the vanishing graffiti or the happy caged monsters, which, along with how farcical the plots are, means reading Thorsby is all about setting up a comical number of dominoes that find new ways to defy expectations—exposition is both setup and punchline. The invisibility wand has charges to make things invisible and invisible people are blind, and from those two rules, the whole Orc Castle scene unfolded.

On the other hand, Isaac in Tredlocity can do whatever works for the moment or what makes a good visual gag and we don't question it, because Isaac's a cheerful, whimsical person in a lighthearted comic—his ability to do or not do magic isn't driven by obstacles he needs to surmount and how much the reader should infer they're a challenge. The whole thing's contiguous with the rest of the comic, and you can't create a "rule" about worldbuilding without assuming a lot about the rest of the work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Isaac's magic does have rules.

Rule #1 is that it has to be whimsical tho, because his magic is fueled by whimsey.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think in general, if you're going to explain anything about your magic system, it's more interesting to explain what magic can't do than what it can.
For a Thorsby example, when Lostclock goes on his rant about how ghosts aren't real, not only is it a funny Lostclock moment, but it's establishing a ground rule that If you see a ghost, there's some other explanation.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Now I want to have Lostclock explain the evolutionary reasons that demons exist, why demons can be bound in a summoning circle, and all the other demon related stuff in Hitmen for Destiny.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tendales posted:

I think in general, if you're going to explain anything about your magic system, it's more interesting to explain what magic can't do than what it can.
For a Thorsby example, when Lostclock goes on his rant about how ghosts aren't real, not only is it a funny Lostclock moment, but it's establishing a ground rule that If you see a ghost, there's some other explanation.

I feel like this was an irrational moment for him, and maybe he is wrong about the reality of ghosts

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's also funny because Lostclock is such a happy go lucky, positive guy with a zest for biology who loves weird things and loves studying the mechanisms of weird organisms but he becomes irrationally angry at the irrationality of ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm happy to see so many people enjoying HfD, it's really something special and fun once you get past the initial shock of the art style

Hitmen for Destiny #436: Seizing slug

========================

Hitmen for Destiny #437: Stacking stiffs

========================

Hitmen for Destiny #438: Chicken claws

Bodycount: 181 182
+blow-bubble slug

I can't wait to be awed by the sideways monkey's fighting techniques!

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Feb 1, 2022