Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looks like the new speed champions stuff is up on the lego shop if you wanna check the official prices.
40$ for Aston 2, 30$ for the Mercedes, 20$ for the singles.

They've updated the shop at some point and it's constantly defaulting to the US one for me, and it's harder to switch regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Made a second Flickr account for renders, WIPs, and abandoned projects, stuff that I don't want to clog up my main account with. Right now, I'm kind of filling it out with older stuff that I have nowhere to put, but going forward, I'll put a lot more WIP stuff in there as I mess around. I mostly just made it for myself, so I have something I can pull up on any device to show/talk about my work with LUG members and friends, but I figured there may be a non-zero level of interest in my projects-and-rejects pile, so there it is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Honestly the only three cars I've ever wished I could have are the Firebird (circa 2000), the Chevy SSR, and the Crossfire. If I could pick one it would be the SSR, in yellow or red. I'm from '81.

Edit: I also sorta like the Thunderbird remake from the early 2000s, and the Solstice, but they're both too small. The Solstice is tiny inside and is the only of these I've driven.

You know what, if you can find a Crossfire for sale I hope you buy it and drive the wheels off of it. I haven't seen one for what feels like a decade, like they all got rolled into the crusher as soon as the leases ran out.

I am definitely getting that Countach and I'll have to think hard about the 512 as well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Angering purists aside, if I mostly use my modular buildings as display pieces that I don’t open up, and find the different floors to be rather loosely connected, (especially on the later models like boutique hotel) there’s no real harm in replacing some of the tiled wall tops with studded pieces for better connections, right?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Feenix posted:

Angering purists aside, if I mostly use my modular buildings as display pieces that I don’t open up, and find the different floors to be rather loosely connected, (especially on the later models like boutique hotel) there’s no real harm in replacing some of the tiled wall tops with studded pieces for better connections, right?

if you can't rebuild your own Lego sets for your enjoyment, what can you do?

e: misread the post but i can't see the grip being any worse than any other part of the set

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Assembly Square uses 1x2s for the connection between the floors and it's much worse than half-studded 2x4s because you can more easily get half-stud offsets.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
On the fence about the globe. I want it. But I don't really $200 want it.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Revolvers were too big and weird to work with, but the posing stand makes a brilliant flagpole attached to a window brick, and the stud-with-a-bar part gives some options too.

So here are some mini hotel flag variations:

B is kinda fun but doesn't suit it, C and F stick out too far, and I think the minifig hand is too small, so I'd probly rule out D and G.

So that leaves A and E, (vertical pennants), and H and I (angled flags). All 4 of these are better than the original I think.

"I" might feel a bit more like torches because of how I inverted the posing stand...

Anyone have any feelings on A, E, or H versus the originals? Or any other combo?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol. I really really like b I think because the coloring is unobtrusive also, if you use fluorescent transparent for the domes, you can sneak a blacklight led in somewhere and make them -glow- . f is fine, or would be fine in yellow. if it sticks out too far than either a or i, but it sure looks to me like f and i have the same width

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd just leave the flags off. I don't think they are important enough on the original set to warrant the real estate they are going to occupy in a micro build. Personally I like your initial approach the best tbh, but they are just too big.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Any idea how to make a cool parking garage for my kids fire truck fleet? I just read up on modular building and am getting the baseplates lined up better to organize the buildings a bit

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I actually like F the most.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Assembly Square uses 1x2s for the connection between the floors and it's much worse than half-studded 2x4s because you can more easily get half-stud offsets.

The floors for hotel some barely have 4 studs for the entire floor “connection” and it feels slight.

I don’t need it locked down but it just feels like it’s not even keeping flat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Revolvers were too big and weird to work with, but the posing stand makes a brilliant flagpole attached to a window brick, and the stud-with-a-bar part gives some options too.

B is kinda fun but doesn't suit it, C and F stick out too far, and I think the minifig hand is too small, so I'd probly rule out D and G.

So that leaves A and E, (vertical pennants), and H and I (angled flags). All 4 of these are better than the original I think.

"I" might feel a bit more like torches because of how I inverted the posing stand...

Anyone have any feelings on A, E, or H versus the originals? Or any other combo?

Do they still make this kind of feather?

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Haven't been following this too closely so apologize if you already tried, but what about small feathers? Or the small horns? There's also a tiny horn type piece that's curved that I cannot find on bricklink and no clue what it's called

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I think E gives the best impression of the full scale version without being distracting

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Brawnfire posted:

Yep, it's the only kind they still make, but not sure about red. They come in pink in the bard from the latest CMF series

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Alright, alright I finally got this:

(I think I'm leaning towards A or E myself, probably A - it's more hanging banners than flags, but buildings do those between their first and second floors quite a bit in real life)

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 1, 2022

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Brawnfire posted:

I think I'll make a test of inverted posing stands with those tomorrow. I hadn't tried that one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That feather seems like by far the best option.

Man, Lego should really make a forest men hideout set at the scale of the blacksmith that would be awesome.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think basically every Forestmen set has been remade and rejected on Ideas by now.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I haven’t had Lego money in a while, but I’d sell some things to buy a big Forestmen set.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's weird that the Forest men hideouts do so poorly. Everyone I know loves that poo poo, it combines castles and forest!

Maybe everyone just has their own idea of the perfect forest hideaway and can't abide another vision taking precedence

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thor’s Hammer is a day one purchase.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
We did our first modular (Town Hall) on a MILS plate and I'm hooked. Gonna do all future ones on them and one day convert our 10 existing ones to it. One thing that always bugged me is how the modulars come on different color baseplates, so even though the fronts are covered by sidewalks, the rears just look like a mess from the back, so this way I can change the plates to be light gray in the front to match the curb dropping down to the street, then do all green on top in the rears.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

obi_ant posted:

Waiting for the mod that allows me to bolt it through my shelf so when somebody tries to pick it up I can tell them they are not worthy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

obi_ant posted:

979 pieces !?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo: @ this

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

gently caress it.

That looks like poo poo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like the concept but Mjolnir isn’t exactly an exciting design. I wish they had made a piece(or even a sticker) with the “If you’re worthy…” enchantment too. I am curious about the building process though and how solid it feels.

EDIT: By the way it’s weird that the official name of the set is “Thor’s Hammer”. Is Mjolnir not recognizable enough? Is there some copyright issue even though the nameplate calls it Mjolnir?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 1, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Adult Lego promo pics are funny as hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not even including stickers for the celtic knot patterns on the bevels is hilariously lazy.

Enjoy your minifig collection that comes with a free giant grey brick!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That looks exactly like the hammer I guess, but just demonstrates the hammer is not an exciting build

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Ugh.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

RatHat posted:

I like the concept but Mjolnir isn’t exactly an exciting design. I wish they had made a piece(or even a sticker) with the “If you’re worthy…” enchantment too. I am curious about the building process though and how solid it feels.

EDIT: By the way it’s weird that the official name of the set is “Thor’s Hammer”. Is Mjolnir not recognizable enough? Is there some copyright issue even though the nameplate calls it Mjolnir?

I mean, there couldn't be a copyright issue- they have the rights to the comics character, and the mythology is public domain.

Does seem kinda like a boring build. They should've gone with a more traditionally shaped one-handed hammer that look more like the pendants that people wear, at least it would've been visually more interesting, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of looking like the thing from the movies.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The problem is they made the MCU mjolnir as opposed to some other mjolnir from the comic or other places. If you GIS mjolnir you can very quickly find something that would make a better set.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You bump into white nationalist iconography pretty quickly though so I think Lego would want to keep their distance

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem is they made the MCU mjolnir as opposed to some other mjolnir from the comic or other places. If you GIS mjolnir you can very quickly find something that would make a better set.

They all look basically the same to me?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Bloop posted:

You bump into white nationalist iconography pretty quickly though so I think Lego would want to keep their distance

and yet they still make police sets :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The little treasure room vignette is great, though