Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I do hate that I can't see the fake smiles of the people forced to serve me as I take an unnecessary flight during a pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cr0y posted:

My chud coworker is on a rant today for some reason about the restrictions in Pennsylvania being far too burdensome and overbearing.

Pennsylvania.

I honestly can't think of a single restriction that we have in place.

E: apparently it's the mask requirement on subways and buses, and before you ask no he doesn't ever ride a subway or a bus.

They live in a fantasy parallel universe that only superficially resembles ours, where our government actually wants to do proactive things and those things are also bad.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/comments/shedos/blue_thought_that_being_called_unvaccinated_is/

these fragile fucks have some nerve comparing their unvaxxed asses to a great man like Chief Joseph.

Apr 7, 2003

The Port Authority here requires masks on buses and the subway and it’s the only requirement I see that anyone is bothering to enforce, period, since seven drivers have died of Covid.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

In other news, there will be no summer this year. We're trapped in winter all the way through to 2023

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1488507880139640840?s=20&t=roAAUnV7Utt_pe6qsJ2Rdw

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I have 11,000 blue maga twitter followers because of russiagate and I'll be damned if I'm not going to mock the poo poo out of every single last one of them until I have none left and can close my twitter account *or until lawsuit is over.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

MysteriousStranger posted:

The vast majority sysadmins, security types, datacenter types, AWS types have no loving degree at all and just certified their way into it.
I meant more graphic/web design type computer touching, but thanks for the advice, should I wanna go that route! I suppose the advice would be the same though, school's prolly still only really good for the connections/pieces of paper, or something like that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pillowpants posted:

I have 11,000 blue maga twitter followers because of russiagate and I'll be damned if I'm not going to mock the poo poo out of every single last one of them until I have none left and can close my twitter account *or until lawsuit is over.

Why do you have 11000 blue Maga followers because of russiagate?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DickParasite posted:

bonus:
Apparently the UK wasn't counting re-infections in its cumulative total until today, and welp

it's even funnier if you look at the per day and not the 7 day average

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

I was seeing a lot of co-signs of this in my Twitter feed.

I totally understand not wanting to stare into the abyss all the time, but both-sidesing it and pretending that COVID IS OVER and COVID IS BAD are equally extreme and deplorable positions is psychotic. And becoming rapidly normalized!

Apr 7, 2003

Can't wait to see this narrative get played to death over the next 2-3 weeks

AOCIA
Nov 29, 2021

by sebmojo
remember a million years ago when BoJo decided the UK would pursue herd immunity as a strategy

zone
Dec 6, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAteMyFace/comments/sgy8ns/majid_nawaaz_unhinged_antivax_conspiracy_theorist/
world needs people to do all kinds of jobs bro, and you're in luck - there's plenty of jobs people are unwilling to work at now because of covid, so chop chop, find some gainful employment and reap the results of your grift.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joementum posted:

The social democrats in Denmark had the one of the best early covid policies with the government funding something like 75% of payroll for people to just stay home, but they got tired of that, I guess, since covid is over.

The more conservative government in Sweden had one of the worst early covid policies. They tried "herd immunity" and got owned.

"Got owned" is pretty indeterminate. I just checked 6 countries death per capita

Right now they're at
USA 270
UK 235
France 195
Sweden 153
Netherlands 125
Denmark 65

Turns out one of the best ways to fight covid is tell the populace they're on their own and scare them

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 1, 2022

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lmao South Korea is sending their weekly average covid cases to intercept the North Korean missile.

18k on lunar new year. All time high on the largest holiday when everyone is loving off to the countryside.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Yea society is gonna go loving nuts when they realize that you can get infected multiple times in a month, herd immunity doesn't exist and that the government truly has given up. Also, all of this time wasted with half assery and not doing what needed to be done at the beginning. Ontario is opening it up today and its going to badly

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tulip posted:

Dang full face looks way more comfy than half face, trouble is I'd need to break my 25 year running commitment to glasses over contacts (also you know get contacts as well as learn how to use them).

Yea I'm lost too. I know that my workplace doesn't count it as a "new" infection unless you clear all symptoms and then develop new ones but why would anything larger than an HR department track with that level of granularity.

the FF-400 series has a glasses insert

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Death By The Blues posted:

Yea society is gonna go loving nuts when they realize that you can get infected multiple times in a month, herd immunity doesn't exist and that the government truly has given up. Also, all of this time wasted with half assery and not doing what needed to be done at the beginning. Ontario is opening it up today and its going to badly

lol, no one is going to care.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gripweed posted:

In other news, there will be no summer this year. We're trapped in winter all the way through to 2023

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1488507880139640840?s=20&t=roAAUnV7Utt_pe6qsJ2Rdw

:lmao:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/dril/status/873264183281889281

Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

lol, no one is going to care.

It's gonna be just like the mid-late nineties Russia that Mark Ames wrote about, where people just disappear and everyone else is super apathetic about it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

We've always been at war with multiple reinfections a month.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Yea society is gonna go loving nuts when they realize that you can get infected multiple times in a month, herd immunity doesn't exist and that the government truly has given up.

I really don’t think the average person is going to give a poo poo. denial is very strong

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

it dont matter posted:

I do hate that I can't see the fake smiles of the people forced to serve me as I take an unnecessary flight during a pandemic.

I dunno if it's just me, but these days I am creeped the gently caress out by the whole fake servility thing that workers are required to put on at stores and stuff. Knowing that it's artificially induced by management rather than being a genuine expression ruins the entire thing.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DickParasite posted:

hmmm let's see how our friends across the pond are doing:

If this holds true in the US we can expect it to sustain 500k new cases/day for who knows how long?

bonus:
Apparently the UK wasn't counting re-infections in its cumulative total until today, and welp

wait so the UK has had hundreds of thousands of people popping positive and being sick but… they didn’t tally them because it was their second time around?

do I understand this correctly that nobody with a loving second or third case was actually counted as an infection??

what the absolute gently caress lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

Dark Winter

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

don't even bother with a cert. Tell comanies you have been fixing computer poo poo all your life and tell them about the time you got the printer connected to the network and etc and they'll hire you. I walked away from IT because its computer servant work for loving psycho boomers but there is no doubt that it pays well and is relatively easy (minus the emotional labor)

Agreed.

Apr 7, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I dunno if it's just me, but these days I am creeped the gently caress out by the whole fake servility thing that workers are required to put on at stores and stuff. Knowing that it's artificially induced by management rather than being a genuine expression ruins the entire thing.

There's a picture from I want to say July 2020 from Georgia when they started reopening restaurants. Was a doughy-rear end unmasked white woman at the counter at a Waffle House beaming at the mostly black wait staff, just this unmitigated joy over the social order being back to it's rightful state regardless of who had to get sick and die to get it there.

Really iconic photo and I can't find it anywhere now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lol get real, Southwest.

You will never top Delta’s contribution to misery.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

mystes posted:

We've always been at war with multiple reinfections a month.

This is not true, a fairly recent development? People will start to care when they get sick all the time and have no short term immunity at all. Like the average person doesnt read this thread, most of them still believe in herd immunity.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You might think that people who hitched their wagon to the "omicron is nature's vaccine, let's hurry up and get herd immunity" idea would crack ping when they realize it doesn't work that way and people are just going to get reinfected forever, but that would only be true if they actually came to the conclusion that omicron was good based on some sort of logical reasoning based on the assumption that people can only get infected once.

In reality they just want everyone to pretend covid doesn't exist and "herd immunity" is just a convenient talking point they have latched onto to that end, so they will immediately switch to another talking point with zero introspection.

This is not true, a fairly recent development? People will start to care when they get sick all the time and have no short term immunity at all. Like the average person doesnt read this thread, most of them still believe in herd immunity.
It's a reference to a not very well known line in an obscure book

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
It'll be "Reinfection can't be a big deal. If it was, everyone would be freaking out."

Apr 7, 2003

Lamar Jackson, quarterback for the Baltimore Ravens, had covid three times that we know of (I can only find two instances in the media now though, figures) prior to Omicron hitting.

We know about those instances because they happened in-season. Don't think the NFL required them to report during the off-season and reporting going forward is completely off.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what the absolute gently caress lmao

:hai:

fosborb fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 1, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

did they interview any Chinese people

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

it rules that covid causes cognitive decline and memory loss so tht people will be like "oh i never got covid" while they're actively fighting a reinfection

Dren posted:

the FF-400 series has a glasses insert

while that is cool i spent too long with lab goggles to want to do that

i'm mostly happy about my secureclick so this is like, luxury purchase thinking

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

did they interview any Chinese people

https://www.wpxi.com/news/world/chinas-olympics/ZFJLXJAQFJUSV6ZFB7R364JSOI/

quote:

A third round of mass testing that started Wednesday for the the 2 million residents of Fengtai district drew complaints online and from residents bundled up against the wind to wait in line outdoors. The skies were sunny, but the daytime high hovered around the freezing point.

“I think it is too frequent," said a woman who only gave her surname, Ma. "I just did it yesterday and was asked to do it again today. I asked the question to the staff and they said, ‘Under the principle of testing everyone who should be tested, just do it since you are here.’”

Imagine having a government this proactive.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

not that many people will get reinfected that quick, even at 1 million cases a day. more likely it will just be get Covid 2x a year and that will be the new normal until 5 years down the road when we finally admit long Covid is a thing and it will be too late so oh well

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Maybe they're talking about US medical residents who are insanely jealous of China's COVID measures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

LOL @ just realizing this is loving Jake Tapper bringing the important news of the day to our world.