Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

i've never seen the prisoner so i didn't get that it was referecing it, but it seems it came out in 1955?

It was a British 70s show. It's a really good one. Basically what if James Bond decided to resign and instead of getting a burn notice they send him to a strange island full of other spies and if he tries to escape he gets chased by a giant balloon.

They also parodied it in the episode where Homer joins the cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DaveWoo posted:

"they have the internet on computers now" was a pretty good line

That's from Das Bus in season 9.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me of early Fairly Odd Parents where Timmy's excuse for where he got all the crazy poo poo he wished on his fairies from was "Internet?"

Unfortunately, the idea that computers are basically magic not only continues to be a thing, but escalates to the point of people spending hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars on the internet equivalent of buying the Brooklyn Bridge.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was a British 70s show. It's a really good one. Basically what if James Bond decided to resign and instead of getting a burn notice they send him to a strange island full of other spies and if he tries to escape he gets chased by a giant balloon.

They also parodied it in the episode where Homer joins the cult.

It's also a stealth sequel to Danger Man, also played by Patrick McGoohan, which was a goofy 60s Bond knockoff show

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Prisoner is good, but it sadly doesn't go anywhere. Some might say that adds to its surreal quality but to me it just makes all of your mystery work pointless. Kind of like when Twin Peaks was just treading water I guess?

I still don't like the ending to the computer episode though.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
The Prisoner is from 1967, and maybe is/was a bigger thing in the UK rather than the US? I think screenwriters really like it because it radically expanded what you could do in a TV show, particularly one that's ostensibly a genre show.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Huh. I guess 1967 makes more sense. It has some of the same sensibilities as the Batman show from the time. I dunno how and where American writers in the 90s had seen it. Maybe PBS or A&E was rerunning it shortly before.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

ReBoot also had a Prisoner parody episode so I assume it was somewhat well known in the US back in the day.
I don't ever recall it being rerun on terrestrial TV here in the UK when I was a kid so references in US TV were my only exposure to it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I literally can't believe anyone lists Take My Wife, Sleaze as a good episode. It featured poo poo like this:

A swordfight... BUT WITH MOTORCYCLES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR1qvOQOXG4&t=96s

This hilarious dancing competition!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1QJACBcE-I

Dire poo poo.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm not going to die on a hill defending those jokes, but they are attempts at cheesy gag parodies that I could see being funny depending on your mood and whatever you're been watching recently. Yeah it's a swing and a miss for me (no pun intended) but they aren't insultingly bad like later seasons.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I literally can't believe anyone lists Take My Wife, Sleaze as a good episode. It featured poo poo like this:

A swordfight... BUT WITH MOTORCYCLES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR1qvOQOXG4&t=96s

This hilarious dancing competition!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1QJACBcE-I

Dire poo poo.

Oh yeah. This was the era where they'd take a small, throwaway gag from a previous season (Homer throwing starfish like ninja throwing stars during the aquarium fight in Brother from the Same Planet) and way overdo it (motorcycle sword fight).

Using something that's not a weapon as a weapon? Sure.
Starfish throwing stars? Nominally resemble the actual weapon, are small and light, could be thrown. Sequence lasts for 3 seconds.
Motorcycle swordfight? Motorcycles don't look like swords. They are way too heavy to pick up. Sequence lasts for over a minute.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
i did enjoy the riffing on the 50s-style diner craze even though it was definitely a little late and, somehow, family guy kind of did it better later on

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I swear to god if I ever see another chicken fight, I will commit violence.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why did I think that 50s diner scene was more a riff on Pulp Fiction?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Data Graham posted:

Why did I think that 50s diner scene was more a riff on Pulp Fiction?

because it clearly is

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Done much better in Torque, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBCeFJ66oRM

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I'm pretty sure there is also a motorcycle sword fight in Jet Li's The One. I'd rented the video tape a few weeks before seeing that episode and assumed it was a reference tbh. But apparently it was an old episode.

Found the clip, I guess it's not a sword fight exactly, but same concept. Also really loving stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdVOAvcSKnw

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the motorcycle sword fight made me laugh ol, at least when the episode first aired. it was ridiculous and stupid but in a way I found funny.

I've already made this comparison in this thread, but for some reason the skateboard duel with Tony Hawk, not that much later, struck me as the bad kind of stupid, so I'm not one to judge either way.

I haven't found a good way to figure out the critical difference, but consider the scene in Whacking Day where suddenly Homer can do ninja moves. again, it's partly a matter of degree and (later) repetition, but a lot of the things we hate are, at least at the surface level, things that have almost direct Good Season equivalents. ("it's Barry White!") the things that we complain about aren't always the problem, but I haven't yet figured out a way to express this (other than "2-8 good, others bad")

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Simpsons episode precedes those imitators. Those early 2000s were something else

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I like how she starts at the Mountain Dew, drives in a straight line for a solid minute, and ends at the Mountain Dew.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Empty Sandwich posted:

the motorcycle sword fight made me laugh ol, at least when the episode first aired. it was ridiculous and stupid but in a way I found funny.

I've already made this comparison in this thread, but for some reason the skateboard duel with Tony Hawk, not that much later, struck me as the bad kind of stupid, so I'm not one to judge either way.

I haven't found a good way to figure out the critical difference, but consider the scene in Whacking Day where suddenly Homer can do ninja moves. again, it's partly a matter of degree and (later) repetition, but a lot of the things we hate are, at least at the surface level, things that have almost direct Good Season equivalents. ("it's Barry White!") the things that we complain about aren't always the problem, but I haven't yet figured out a way to express this (other than "2-8 good, others bad")

Oh man I remember watching the Tony Hawk episode with friends, still in the habit of tuning in for our favorite show hopeful it was gonna turn it around, but was nearly dead silence for the whole time. And that was nearly 20 seasons ago.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/lukehealy/status/1487117757070069766?s=21

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Man, it's like it was written and drawn by the current writing staff of the Simpsons. It has things that are shaped like jokes but aren't funny.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't get it and don't know who that is.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Shouldn't it read "ffuD" in the mirror?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
invented healys

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

Huh. I guess 1967 makes more sense. It has some of the same sensibilities as the Batman show from the time. I dunno how and where American writers in the 90s had seen it. Maybe PBS or A&E was rerunning it shortly before.

I have fond memories of being a kid in the 90s (in the US) and watching The Prisoner and Are You Being Served? late night on PBS or something.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I don't get it and don't know who that is.

standard modern simpsons episode summary and possible thread title tbh

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I still remember "You promised me no more brooms!" and "Mrs Simpson, I killed my pencil" from time to time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:kstarehair:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
This guy read Mr Boop

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've said before, but Whacking Day goes from gag to gag with somehow an overarching concept but not much in the way of actual plot to a point that feels almost dreamlike.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said before, but Whacking Day goes from gag to gag with somehow an overarching concept but not much in the way of actual plot to a point that feels almost dreamlike.

schwartzweldian, if you will

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I figured here would be a good place to post this so we can appreciate it again together. It's so well done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5oqH0bywcg

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll never forget the noise Homer makes when he pulls Otto's hair out of the sink

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Yeah these are bad, but I feel "beer and dontus getting cold" could be turned into a serviceable joke. Removing the "Beer is supposed to be cold" line would be a start for example.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Does the show even do the visual gag of random items in between the ceiling of the first floor and the floorboards of the second floor anymore? Those were always great.

I would imagine if they did, Homer would call attention to it because modern Simpsons can’t let the visual speak for itself. “Oh, Marge, surely there would be nothing hidden in this house that we wouldn’t know about!” *camera pans up in between floors to show visual gag and a mouse deadpanning the camera while giggling like Muttley from Wacky Races*

Data Graham posted:

I'll never forget the noise Homer makes when he pulls Otto's hair out of the sink

I love Otto’s delivery of “Wow, I had mustard?!” Heard it in my head typing this up. While reading this, you did, too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You Are A Elf posted:

Does the show even do the visual gag of random items in between the ceiling of the first floor and the floorboards of the second floor anymore? Those were always great.

I would imagine if they did, Homer would call attention to it because modern Simpsons can’t let the visual speak for itself. “Oh, Marge, surely there would be nothing hidden in this house that we wouldn’t know about!” *camera pans up in between floors to show visual gag and a mouse deadpanning the camera while giggling like Muttley from Wacky Races*

S37E06: The Crawl Space Race. The family decides to excavate the mysterious area between their floors and discovers a portal into Mr. Burns' head

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
guest appearance by Charlie Sheen as himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Hey, it's Charlie Sheen! I loved you in Wall Street!