Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

meanwhile in the base campaign, asking me to do a left-side GK on an archvile

i guess i have to learn to burst them down but tbf i'd rather just keep slicing/BFGing the loving assholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

I enjoyed both expansions, with two caveats. The first episode has a really tough/annoying final stage of the last boss, while the second episode is easier than its predecessor, which leads to an odd sense of difficulty overall, but I really liked the final boss in that one.

I felt the same. DLC 1 had good difficulty curve but the final boss was weird and not fun at all for me. DLC 2 had some weird spikes and enemy combos and the last boss was just boring, and way easier than DLC1 boss. My overall sense of Doom Eternal is that I love the main campaign but the DLCs are mixed (the new enemy types aren't fun to fight, just tedious).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

If you liked DE, there's no reason not to get TAG1+2. They have flaws, but they're not overwhelming or gamebreaking - you'll still have a lot of fun!!

--

I was doing some Battlemode 2.0 just to get my double XP for the Thanksgibbing event, and I got matched up against World No.1 Slayer (My matchmaking level would be at the very low of low, as I've lost most of my matches since I'm just learning how the gently caress to play a 2v1 game). I wish there was a bigger player base / some way to fix this, because getting utterly hosed within 15 seconds isn't fun, or even a opportunity to get better :smith:

So the MM right now is set up such that your opponent pool is based on current win streak/win records until you get one of the streak points and then it resets. You can run into really good players on their resets or if you're going on a streak yourself.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
ranger slayer set is out for owners of the quake remaster, which also just got its own horde mode update! try it out, it's pretty fun and hectic, and can be played co-op up to 4 on a team!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I played the main campaign and DLC1 on HMP last year and found it all pretty exausting and by the end of it the combat loop had become really bland and samey.

I felt I should give DLC2 a go since I paid for it and also as an excuse to checkout the PS5 version but I ended up just playing though everything again on UV this time and breezed through the main campaign and even DLC1 without really all that much trouble at all. I think The Holt Slayer Gate was the only thing that I had to retry more than 2 or 3 times. Not sure why I found it so much easier this time? Felt like I was using the SSG way more effectively as an armour top up and I know they nerfed some of DLC1. Playing at 120fps probably helped too.

I've only got the DLC2 final boss to go but I think I'm done with the game for now. Enjoyed it more this time, although the main campaign feels like one massive drawn out tutorial. I know the DLC is annoying af but it also forces you out of your routines a bit in a way that helps the game feel interesting again.

The story sucked poo poo too.

I don't really know what you do with Doom after this?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Looks like they fixed the bug where the warbling background map noise continues forever, but now there’s a new bug where exiting the map screen while scrolling causes the clicking scrolling noise to continue forever.

Is there a way to stop it besides completely exiting the game?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Leyburn posted:

I don't really know what you do with Doom after this?

put it on ice while they make quake

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Imagine creeping through a noneuclidean hallway with a shotgun and a bloody axe; ambient industrial music plays--mainly the sounds of chains and subway tunnels. Suddenly an ogre emerges from the shadows! You shoot him several times with your shotgun, psh! psh! psh! but run out of ammo--you retreat back the way you came, to hide in the twisted maze while the ogre searches for you.

Eventually you uncover a secret area with six precious shells. Loading them into your shotgun, you finally manage to dispatch the ogre with two shells to spare.

Now you need to find a hand crank to open the gate to proceed to the next level, where you'll encounter a Death Knight that must be defeated with a setpiece battle.

QUAKE

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Imagine creeping through a noneuclidean hallway with a shotgun and a bloody axe; ambient industrial music plays--mainly the sounds of chains and subway tunnels. Suddenly an ogre emerges from the shadows! You shoot him several times with your shotgun, psh! psh! psh! but run out of ammo--you retreat back the way you came, to hide in the twisted maze while the ogre searches for you.

Eventually you uncover a secret area with six precious shells. Loading them into your shotgun, you finally manage to dispatch the ogre with two shells to spare.

Now you need to find a hand crank to open the gate to proceed to the next level, where you'll encounter a Death Knight that must be defeated with a setpiece battle.

QUAKE

Scrags? Airbone Imps, x2 damage
Rottweilers? Dread Knights on even more cocaine
Fiends? Barons of Hell that are as horny as gently caress, and you're like, super sexy

Vores? Sexual competitors, you know that sound

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Dr Christmas posted:

Is there a way to stop it besides completely exiting the game?

Open the map again and rotate it a bit, usually stops it for me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I just bought this game and finally finished the 80 gig download and....it's controller only for some reason?

I don't have any controllers plugged in. I've disabled controller controls in-game. I've disabled controllers under Steam properties. But it's still asking me to Press A To Continue. How am I supposed to play this game? Do I really need to procure a controller and keep it plugged in just to get past loading screens?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Artelier posted:

So I just bought this game and finally finished the 80 gig download and....it's controller only for some reason?

I don't have any controllers plugged in. I've disabled controller controls in-game. I've disabled controllers under Steam properties. But it's still asking me to Press A To Continue. How am I supposed to play this game? Do I really need to procure a controller and keep it plugged in just to get past loading screens?

You're not on Xbox by any chance?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oh yeah, nope! I'm on PC to be clear, bought on Steam if that makes a difference. I do have controllers on PC but none of them are plugged in or turned on, I checked. And I unchecked the controllers under Doom Eternal Steam properties too. But the game still insists on pressing A to start

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Shot in the dark but the controller profile as an input device at the OS level might be causing whatever is happening to be happening. Try disabling the device in the OS directly and see if that helps.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Artelier posted:

Do you have a throttle or stick from a HOTAS plugged in? This (at least in my experience) can gently caress with controller settings in games. Usually it’s the opposite, where the Xbox controller isn’t detected, but if you happen to have either a throttle or stick plugged in, try unplugging them and then restarting the game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

Do you have a throttle or stick from a HOTAS plugged in? This (at least in my experience) can gently caress with controller settings in games. Usually it’s the opposite, where the Xbox controller isn’t detected, but if you happen to have either a throttle or stick plugged in, try unplugging them and then restarting the game.

Nope, no other controllers. Just keyboard and mouse.

Dameius posted:

Shot in the dark but the controller profile as an input device at the OS level might be causing whatever is happening to be happening. Try disabling the device in the OS directly and see if that helps.

This works! But now I have a new problem, where I have to reenable the device if I wanna play on my controller.

Tbh right now this is just looking like too much of a pain to play seamlessly and I'm considering a refund.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Hang on, if you don't have any controllers plugged in, what exactly did you disable? You can't disable something that isn't connected, so do you have some kind of third party driver installed or something? It sounds like the actual problem is whatever that is, is bugged.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
If you have a USB foot pedal, there's a very good chance that could be messing stuff up. I've got one and occasionally some games will see it as a controller which will cause weird issues like directional inputs held to the top left.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Rocket Pan posted:

Hang on, if you don't have any controllers plugged in, what exactly did you disable? You can't disable something that isn't connected, so do you have some kind of third party driver installed or something? It sounds like the actual problem is whatever that is, is bugged.

Oh I switched my 8BitDo Pro Plus on to disable it, then switched it off, then went in game. Still the same.

I have found a "workaround." I have plugged in my arcade stick, and keep it by my toe so I can press A on loading. It is annoying but it works for now. I guess.

Game good tho!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I wish there was some way to replace the crap DLC soundtrack with this guys work. he completely nails it. 6:04 for the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYiXgd2FOpo

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Check out these badass isometric maps GCP made for DOOM wads.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1484716755247407107?s=20

Drive folder with a ton more:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LCnMa2RAPgiPFU99ckNcPk69mAz-B7Ep

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

massive spider posted:

I wish there was some way to replace the crap DLC soundtrack with this guys work. he completely nails it. 6:04 for the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYiXgd2FOpo

This is so good, thanks for sharing. It totally apes Gordon's style, but I really missed that. The breakdown at ~9:24 is especially cool.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Trip Report: Battlemode 2.0 (i.e. because I lost my first Ultra Nightmare kill on Icon of Sin and had to step away from Campaign mode for a while)
---

After going through;

- The last few weeks of season 1
- All of season 2 (6-7 weeks I think?)
- A few weeks of season 3 so far

and also;

- Grinding for the various rewards (I certainly didn't catch them all, they better be back in future seasons :smith: )
- Getting my Altar of Glory reward (which means 50x matches on 5 different Demons + Slayer)
- Working on both the easy and hard-to-get multiplayer achievements

and most importantly, just starting up Battlemode and random times and playing for fun - I feel like I can safely say; this is not a mode for casuals.

It's not only a skill barrier; any multiplayer game will smack you up when you start playing (this ain't single player country)
It's not only a matchmaking issue; no MM system is perfect, and eventually you'll come along to someone who you shouldn't be
It's not only a balance issue; the game is inherently unbalanced (it's 2v1, c'mon), but we're talking small degrees here
It's not only a knowledge issue; finding the info for how things work / discovering the meta takes a little time and effort
It's not only a teammate issue; finding someone to play with and learn is the whole thing of online gaming

But when all of these combine, you hit a wall very loving hard, very loving early. And it's really loving tough to scale that wall at any kind of pace that doesn't make you say "gently caress this, I'm going back to single player, at least I know I was having fun there".

After all I've games I've played, all the research I've done, all the guides I've read, blah blah - I'm still a casual, compared to most other people I keep meeting in Battlemode. Being a casual is ok, but fuuuuuuck, I can't see any way of getting any fun out of Battlemode right now. I'm just playing to get the rewards I can (I always knew I wasn't going to reach top 100 or something stupid) - I am a grinder and a collector so I have no problem with this, but I know there is no pleasure or enjoyment in playing Battlemode for me. It just feels like it doesn't cater for anyone just wanting to play a few quick games, get a few wins / eat a few losses, and come back to an even, level experience later.

It's just so sad to me; thinking of other multiplayer games I played (whatever formats/grouping), even when I was losing and no pretty costumes / rewards existed, I was still having fun. I was throwing my hands up in both exasperation and excitement - I lost, but at least I was in with a chance and knew that I could win with a bit more time and effort. With Battlemode, I'm just feeling hopeless hope; hope that I will get matched up with someone who is playing their first matches, so I can have a good match, learn something, and maybe eek out a win and possibly to contribute to my grind (which doesn't even realistically include all possible non-ranked rewards). But I know this is hopeless, because the far more likely alternative is getting smashed by the top-tier crazies - and neither side has fun because it's over in less than 30 seconds. The wall gets higher, the player pool gets smaller, and the thought of having good fun games is just a dream.

TL;DR - I suck, and if you're not into Battlemode by now, you probably won't like it if you try it. But I don't think that's your fault.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mick playing some SGN

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's too bad they didn't include even a basic rear end 4 to 8 player deathmatch mode, it might have given it some more longevity

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Battle mode was terrible; I only played it for the achievements and won’t revisit. A more traditional death match would be awesome.

Speaking of which, is 2016 Doom DM still alive?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

It's too bad they didn't include even a basic rear end 4 to 8 player deathmatch mode, it might have given it some more longevity

I've been playing through the Dark Souls games and now I'm really sad that they had to scrap the Invasion mode they had planned for this.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hulk Krogan posted:

I've been playing through the Dark Souls games and now I'm really sad that they had to scrap the Invasion mode they had planned for this.

Yeah :same:

I'd have come back so hard for invasion mode. I'd have done so much goddamn invasions and hosting invasions :sigh:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah :same:

I'd have come back so hard for invasion mode. I'd have done so much goddamn invasions and hosting invasions :sigh:

I'm curious whether it was just a time concern for making an addon so they went with horde mode for mass appeal, or if there were major technical limitations that made invasions a pain in the rear end.
But man, if you could play the entire game with a friend cycling through different enemies when they died that would be so loving sweet. It would be like Sonic 3 with my buddies playing Tails and being dickheads all over again.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A souls-esque Invasion mode would have made no sense in Doom Eternal. It works in Dark Souls games where the combat is slow, deliberate, and melee-based. What in the world is going to keep a demon invader alive / engaged for minutes at a time? Jumping between enemies as they are all mowed down? That sounds pretty awful?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

IIRC it was going to be similar to battle mode, where the invader played as a demon and could summon other demons. I could see that really loving with the Slayer if it's happening in the middle of a pitched battle with all the other enemies that are normally in the level.

Plus, I'm not really into watching streamers, but I could see it being pretty fun to watch people attempt ultra nightmare with invasion mode on and people gunning for them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh god, ultra nightmare with invasions would be sadistic. I'd have to imagine a version of the game with invasions would either have them turned off for UN or have UN+invasions be a separate category

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the sounds of the placeholder announcer VO in the game sound archives (mixed with a bit of speculation, of course), Invasion Mode would have involved demon players spawning in the middle of some poor bastard's campaign, locking them in that particular arena until they either die or they kill the demon players enough that they run out of lives.

There's also announcer voiceover lines for "disguised" and "ghosting" so I guess player demons could do the TF2 spy thing and pretend to be AI demons before springing out and attacking? Not sure how that would help unless it was hilariously over-the-top and not enormously fair (Oops, that zombie's an Arch-Vile!)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sounded like a loving terrible idea tbh

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
To be fair they did cancel it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It sounded about as fair as Battlemode.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

How does Eternal compare if I liked 2016 a lot? I’m mostly interested in the single player campaign and I enjoyed how 2016 replicated some of pace and atmosphere of the originals in a contemporary way.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

nemesis_hub posted:

How does Eternal compare if I liked 2016 a lot? I’m mostly interested in the single player campaign and I enjoyed how 2016 replicated some of pace and atmosphere of the originals in a contemporary way.

It's really hard to say.

I loved 2016 and I, honestly, kind of hated Eternal.
It forgoes the simplicity of 2016 and turns the game into Devil May Cry but with guns that punishes you for doing anything but what the game wants you to do.

You'll be hurting for ammo and health constantly cause you have to keep all of these resources in the back of your mind now, run out of ammo? Chainsaw but only if you have the pips. Low on health? Glory kill. Low on armor? Flamebelch then kill. It's impossible for me to keep track of all of these things when in the heat of battle and battles get very loving heated.

It really made me feel like an old fart and I wish they'd go back to 2016's simplicity but with Eternals demon roster.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sounded like a loving terrible idea tbh

The big problem with invasions as a mechanic is that the absolute volume of invasions someone's going to encounter is only rarely going to be high enough to meaningfully create a "fair" matchmaking metric. The probability of you being matched against an invader of roughly your own skill level is pretty goddamn low, meaning that it mostly ends up being a tedious chore instead of the kind of epic duel or cat-and-mouse situation most people envision. I'm not surprised they cut it, especially for a game with as much skill expression as Doom Eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

It's kinda two steps forward one step back.
Gameplay is massively improved, which is pretty impressive since it was already good in 2016. It's extremely fun to play.
Everything related to the story, though, is utter loving garbage. Which is surprising since the story was actually pretty decent in 2016.