Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tyrland Carson posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Well... you tried. Unfortunately, you will never NOT be the Pokemon amputee sex slave romhack guy. You hosed yourself the second you opened your mouth. Please never come back here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Tyrland Carson posted:

Extreme Ace Attorney voice: "Your honor...I rest my case".

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Tyrland Carson posted:

And so ends the saga of nightelf_37, I guess?

What an... experience.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That Italian Guy posted:

Extreme Ace Attorney voice: "Your honor...I rest my case".
G U I L T Y

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

Odd Wilson posted:

And so ends the saga of nightelf_37, I guess?

Until they spend another 10 bucks on this site.

nightelf_37, please do not spend another 10 bucks on this site.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

"Ask me about spending $100 to post a Let's Play on Something Awful, and then never getting to post a Let's Play on Something Awful."

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nah. Let 'em spend. Jeffo can always use the money.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

he still has the account that he posted in GBS with

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Quick question, how do you know that was the same person?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Jazerus posted:

he still has the account that he posted in GBS with

Well, he can post in GBS if he wants. Or anywhere else on the forum. Just not here.

Epicmissingno posted:

Quick question, how do you know that was the same person?

He posted exactly like that person in the same threads and had a weird to-do list in their profile. The original account had a list on the "rules" of LP in the signature.
I'm also going to assume the moderators had an admin check before queueing a ban.

I was honestly hoping he'd out himself that's why I wrote my post the way I did instead of saying it directly. But alas.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Just to note, one of the reasons the guy is forumbanned is to stop each of his posts spawning a Mockery Nexus, so if you could cease continuing the current Mockery Nexus despite the guy not being here anymore that'd be swell, thanks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

it's been a few hours and my brain is still trying to parse the phrase ""ascend" the alchemists of arland"

like what the gently caress does that even mean, getting autographs from rorona and totori and meruru's voice actresses? some other weird troperese jargon?

Guessing it has to do with the gacha

ViDWHAL
Jan 26, 2022
Hi mods. I'm a newbie here :) thanks for having me here. I just wanted to clarify rule 2 for posting LPs. If I've already uploaded a bunch of let's play parts to YT and only post the first vid here (with the intention of posting the following parts incrementally, is that still considered dumping? Or another way to ask this, am I only allowed to post new parts as I've uploaded them to YT?

I ask as I've started a new thread and it was pointed out to me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3991953&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti4

Cheers :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
G-String: I'm positive this will leave me faithless in the throngs of defeat

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

ViDWHAL posted:

Hi mods. I'm a newbie here :) thanks for having me here. I just wanted to clarify rule 2 for posting LPs. If I've already uploaded a bunch of let's play parts to YT and only post the first vid here (with the intention of posting the following parts incrementally, is that still considered dumping? Or another way to ask this, am I only allowed to post new parts as I've uploaded them to YT?

I ask as I've started a new thread and it was pointed out to me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3991953&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#pti4

Cheers :)

Let me do the tired old cliche of answering your question with a question: What do you hope to gain from posting this LP here? To get more views or to show this game to a community and harbor discussion or otherwise engage them? Regardless of your intent, with the way you've presented the LP, it definitely comes across like it's the former. Thankfully we've long since moved on from mocking people for simply wanting to grow their audience. Well, some of us have. This is still a forum older than two decades, after all. This subforum alone already stands for 15-16 years. Lots of weirdos here. But to make my point clear: We have a certain culture and in LP specifically it boils down to "Make LPs (the medium) for LP (the forum)" which is what the spirit of rule 2 is all about as far as I interpret it.

When I first showed up here I committed a minor faux pas in asking for feedback on an ongoing LP that I was hoping would make my next one better. this was not against the rules. I really just wanted to know what I can improve and said as much and a few people started mocking me for it, some said it's fine actually but as far as I remember I got no feedback. That was almost a decade ago. Which, since it was one of my first posts on the forums, came across like I'm just trying to get some extra views or something. I wasn't and I proved that and I'm still here, somehow. Normally I'd just shitpost in response to your post here but I reminded myself of how I started out here and how I was well-intentioned.

To answer more directly: This is not against the written rule, necessarily, as far as I'm reading it. But with you joining the forums, posting a thread with reaction faces in the thumbnail of the video and whatnot, very Youtube 101, it kind of comes across like you are violating the spirit of the rule, which is where you will irk the community here. Myself included.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

So I've only watch a little bit and a couple things stand out to me.

The whole intro bit where you sat on the main menu and rambled about coming across the game, who made it, etc. is too long and boring to sit through. I suggest you do a post-recording where you script out a concise intro played to some random B-roll of the game. That way I'm not sitting through every single 'umm' and 'uhh'. and have something watch on top of that.

Second, your audio mixing is really bad. the game audio is overpowering you in the intro crawl and I can't hear you stumble through reading the text on the screen. Turn the game audio down and boost your audio.

Lastly while I can only speak for myself, I really don't need to see a view of your face hamming it up in the corner of the video. At the very least invest in a green screen to minimize the amount of the game screen you're covering up. It could even be as simple as getting a blanket with a contrasting color from what you're wearing and keying that out.

I don't know, lost interest pretty quick and this needs more work.

Edit: I realized I self-owned myself for not reading your post and that you just wanted know if you were youtube dumping or not.

I will say though, take a look at other threads and see how they format their threads.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 27, 2022

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ViDWHAL posted:

Hi mods. I'm a newbie here :) thanks for having me here. I just wanted to clarify rule 2 for posting LPs.

Strict interpretation of the rules is unimportant here. They're largely in place to prevent spam--to a lesser extent they are quality control, but LP is pretty :justpost: these days. IGgy's post is excellent and encapsulates why you got the response you got. Your LP reads like someone who joined SA purely to boost viewership of their channel versus someone who actually wants to engage with and become a member of the SALP community.

I suppose the question is: Why do you want to post your LP here in particular?

The age old goon adage "Lurk more" also seems appropriate.

ViDWHAL
Jan 26, 2022

Sally posted:

Strict interpretation of the rules is unimportant here. They're largely in place to prevent spam--to a lesser extent they are quality control, but LP is pretty :justpost: these days. IGgy's post is excellent and encapsulates why you got the response you got. Your LP reads like someone who joined SA purely to boost viewership of their channel versus someone who actually wants to engage with and become a member of the SALP community.

I suppose the question is: Why do you want to post your LP here in particular?

The age old goon adage "Lurk more" also seems appropriate.

Hi Sally, thanks for chiming in. I can understand how it looks that a newbie throws up an LP on their first day. To be fair, wouldn't the motivations for posting be for both for boosting viewership as well as seeking the discussion? Naturally, posting something for others to view and react to would indicate the intention is to have other people look at it but to be explicit, I am looking for a community to discuss my LPs with and am not looking to dump & run :P
Admittedly, I was fairly excited to put something up and possibly it came across as looking like a dump. I did in the end kill off the thread in case it was a violation and I'll contribute future LPs that I start off fresh with.

Cheers. :)

ViDWHAL
Jan 26, 2022

Combat Lobster posted:

So I've only watch a little bit and a couple things stand out to me.

The whole intro bit where you sat on the main menu and rambled about coming across the game, who made it, etc. is too long and boring to sit through. I suggest you do a post-recording where you script out a concise intro played to some random B-roll of the game. That way I'm not sitting through every single 'umm' and 'uhh'. and have something watch on top of that.

Second, your audio mixing is really bad. the game audio is overpowering you in the intro crawl and I can't hear you stumble through reading the text on the screen. Turn the game audio down and boost your audio.

Lastly while I can only speak for myself, I really don't need to see a view of your face hamming it up in the corner of the video. At the very least invest in a green screen to minimize the amount of the game screen you're covering up. It could even be as simple as getting a blanket with a contrasting color from what you're wearing and keying that out.

I don't know, lost interest pretty quick and this needs more work.

Edit: I realized I self-owned myself for not reading your post and that you just wanted know if you were youtube dumping or not.

I will say though, take a look at other threads and see how they format their threads.

Hi Lobster. Thanks for the feedback, though, yes, I wasn't after it. :) I'm a work in progress so as I go I aim to improve. I'm aware my content has flaws and isn't for everyone but hey, you can only get better and move forward. :) The audio mixing\balance is something I've tried to improve on as I go but yes, at that stage I was "having issues" getting it right. I feel I've reached a point with my current uploads where this shouldn't be as much as an issue as it was, but that will ultimately be in the eye of the beholder. :)

ViDWHAL
Jan 26, 2022

IGgy IGsen posted:

Let me do the tired old cliche of answering your question with a question: What do you hope to gain from posting this LP here? To get more views or to show this game to a community and harbor discussion or otherwise engage them? Regardless of your intent, with the way you've presented the LP, it definitely comes across like it's the former. Thankfully we've long since moved on from mocking people for simply wanting to grow their audience. Well, some of us have. This is still a forum older than two decades, after all. This subforum alone already stands for 15-16 years. Lots of weirdos here. But to make my point clear: We have a certain culture and in LP specifically it boils down to "Make LPs (the medium) for LP (the forum)" which is what the spirit of rule 2 is all about as far as I interpret it.

When I first showed up here I committed a minor faux pas in asking for feedback on an ongoing LP that I was hoping would make my next one better. this was not against the rules. I really just wanted to know what I can improve and said as much and a few people started mocking me for it, some said it's fine actually but as far as I remember I got no feedback. That was almost a decade ago. Which, since it was one of my first posts on the forums, came across like I'm just trying to get some extra views or something. I wasn't and I proved that and I'm still here, somehow. Normally I'd just shitpost in response to your post here but I reminded myself of how I started out here and how I was well-intentioned.

To answer more directly: This is not against the written rule, necessarily, as far as I'm reading it. But with you joining the forums, posting a thread with reaction faces in the thumbnail of the video and whatnot, very Youtube 101, it kind of comes across like you are violating the spirit of the rule, which is where you will irk the community here. Myself included.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am looking to engage with others and I'm sure it'll take me a bit of time to learn to style my LPs appropriately for the community here. Mocking people? Go for it lol, you need a thick skin if you want to do this sort of stuff heh heh. Feels like home already :P
I have removed my thread regardless, taking on your points and others, and will try to not piss off too many here, though I hope this is ultimately an embracing community, open to all LP styles being presented, if that is what the uploader is motivated to do.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ViDWHAL posted:

Hi Lobster. Thanks for the feedback, though, yes, I wasn't after it. :) I'm a work in progress so as I go I aim to improve. I'm aware my content has flaws and isn't for everyone but hey, you can only get better and move forward. :) The audio mixing\balance is something I've tried to improve on as I go but yes, at that stage I was "having issues" getting it right. I feel I've reached a point with my current uploads where this shouldn't be as much as an issue as it was, but that will ultimately be in the eye of the beholder. :)

my two cents, if you care:

facecams suck, reading the text of the game out loud sucks. i feel like these are the two most obvious differences between "LP subforum style" and "youtube style" but are definitely not the only ones. in short, the game should be first, not you. we don't want to see your face, and we don't want you to repeat what the game is already communicating to us through text. those are techniques for making yourself the content of the video rather than making the game the content of the video. i understand that facecams boost engagement (on youtube) and so this is a more forgivable sin in the year of our lord 2022 than reading game text, which is simply always bad with no exceptions unless you have hired an entire voiceover crew for the entire game, which would sort of take the whole thing out of the realm of "LP" and more into "voiced adaptation" or "audiobook" or something like that, instead. most people who aren't professional voice actors or otherwise "talk for a living" types (presenters, teachers, etc.) simply can't read text consistently and engagingly without stumbling, mispronouncing words in an embarrassing way, or becoming audibly annoyed that they have to read all of this poo poo constantly instead of just talking naturally over the gameplay, so just don't do it, because all of those things will alienate people who can just read the words that are on the screen instead of listening to you.

if you are interested in making content for our subforum, rather than dumping content on our subforum, you should probably watch some of our stuff and take notes. this will also (imo) make your work better overall although youtube's algorithm might not agree.

additionally, in a situation like your last three posts, those should have been all one post simply with multiple quotes and responses contained within it, and you don't need to say "hi lobster" or "thanks for replying", either. this is a discussion, not a youtuber responding to their audience.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 27, 2022

ViDWHAL
Jan 26, 2022

Jazerus posted:

my two cents, if you care:

facecams suck, reading the text of the game out loud sucks. i feel like these are the two most obvious differences between "LP subforum style" and "youtube style" but are definitely not the only ones. in short, the game should be first, not you. we don't want to see your face, and we don't want you to repeat what the game is already communicating to us through text. those are techniques for making yourself the content of the video rather than making the game the content of the video. i understand that facecams boost engagement (on youtube) and so this is a more forgivable sin in the year of our lord 2022 than reading game text, which is simply always bad with no exceptions unless you have hired an entire voiceover crew for the entire game, which would sort of take the whole thing out of the realm of "LP" and more into "voiced adaptation" or "audiobook" or something like that, instead. most people who aren't professional voice actors or otherwise "talk for a living" types (presenters, teachers, etc.) simply can't read text consistently and engagingly without stumbling, mispronouncing words in an embarrassing way, or becoming audibly annoyed that they have to read all of this poo poo constantly instead of just talking naturally over the gameplay, so just don't do it, because all of those things will alienate people who can just read the words that are on the screen instead of listening to you.

if you are interested in making content for our subforum, rather than dumping content on our subforum, you should probably watch some of our stuff and take notes. this will also (imo) make your work better overall although youtube's algorithm might not agree.

additionally, in a situation like your last three posts, those should have been all one post simply with multiple quotes and responses contained within it, and you don't need to say "hi lobster" or "thanks for replying", either. this is a discussion, not a youtuber responding to their audience.

Take into consideration that that is how I converse and write on forums. I like to say hi or thanks. That's my natural typing style but I'll try and tidy up that aspect in future.

I like all of your pointers, if only to show me the forum expectations on the styles being used. It sounds like this forum really is a niche unto itself. That being said having a facecam, silly thumbnails, voicing over text, is how I like to make 'em. I think people bend themselves into positions of trying to please an audience, when in reality a Let's Play should be fuelled by the Let's Player's own excitement for the game, whatever style makes that happen. That's the logic I put to it because that's what I find entertaining. If others don't find it appealing then that is A OK. Drawing an audience isn't my first priority. Enjoying the process is. :) Cheers.

ViDWHAL fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 27, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
You are right when you say that SA is an insular community because...well it is. Most of the userbase has been the same for the past 10-20 years plus the paywall and the enforcing of forum "culture" (especially in the past) has made it so. A lot of things have changed/relaxed over time, but certain aspects that are common in Youtube LPs are still quite rare over here, so they stand out immediately.

It is not uncommon for people to develop some kind of parasocial relantionship with LPers they like/follow on the forums; but this is normally built through conversation about the game itt while the LP takes place. Not all games being LP'd have interactivity, but most do - be it direct thread participation, submitting character names, taking decisions in place of the LPer in RPGs, etc. This is what usually drives interest, although it's not always the case; some LPs that have limited interactivity pique interest in other ways, usually by being played by someone who is deeply familiar with the game and can showcase it better than the average player; or by adding informative details about the game development, history, themes, etc; or by having some kind of weird metanarrative added to it. You could also try being really really funny, although that's usually down to personal taste.

As you mentioned, though, the golden rule of LPs is do it because you find it interesting/fun.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 27, 2022

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

If you want to have a look at what kind of LPs are well received here this post has a good number of recommendations for LPs for varying styles. Most of them from the forums, but some are from youtube or other places as well. Most of them are a bit older since the list doesn't get updated too often, I think. But if you just wanna see what other people have been doing that landed well it's a great place to start.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Along these lines: If the post is several paragraphs long and you only have commentary on a couple sentences of it, you don't need to include the entire post. If you're replying to only a specific sentence or paragraph, hit quote and delete everything except what you're responding to (like I'm doing here). Makes the overall thread easier for readers rather than having lots of wasted space quoting the entire post we just read in detail.

ViDWHAL
Jan 26, 2022

That Italian Guy posted:

You are right when you say that SA is an insular community because...well it is. Most of the userbase has been the same for the past 10-20 years plus the paywall and the enforcing of forum "culture" (especially in the past) has made it so. A lot of things have changed/relaxed over time, but certain aspects that are common in Youtube LPs are still quite rare over here, so they stand out immediately.

It is not uncommon for people to develop some kind of parasocial relantionship with LPers they like/follow on the forums; but this is normally built through conversation about the game itt while the LP takes place. Not all games being LP'd have interactivity, but most do - be it direct thread participation, submitting character names, taking decisions in place of the LPer in RPGs, etc. This is what usually drives interest, although it's not always the case; some LPs that have limited interactivity pique interest in other ways, usually by being played by someone who is deeply familiar with the game and can showcase it better than the average player; or by adding informative details about the game development, history, themes, etc; or by having some kind of weird metanarrative added to it. You could also try being really really funny, although that's usually down to personal taste.

As you mentioned, though, the golden rule of LPs is do it because you find it interesting/fun.

Have people here done a mix of styles before? Like, still create their VLPs on YT but still present something like a SSLP thread as an alternate way to present it? That is something I'd entertain to have a go at that style as I can still capture screens from the original recording.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ViDWHAL posted:

Have people here done a mix of styles before? Like, still create their VLPs on YT but still present something like a SSLP thread as an alternate way to present it? That is something I'd entertain to have a go at that style as I can still capture screens from the original recording.

Yes, that's called a Hybrid LP style. For example, to use one of my own works Sally and myself did both Killzone: Mercenary and Killzone: Shadow Fall in hybrid style. The combination of styles means you can have a video where you do commentary and whatever in it, then in the screenshot portion you can expand on elements either not covered in the commentary, or focus on things you can't really drill down on in a simple video runtime. You can also examine extra-game related material in such posts that would be disruptive to include in a video.

It's an amazingly handy and versatile approach to doing an LP, especially of games that are worth really doing deep dives into. So yes, that sort of thing is what SA is particularly good for that you can't really find anywhere else. At least done well anywhere else, I mean.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think ViDWHAL is asking about presenting the entire game in both formats. That's certainly possible, but it's a lot of work, and I think that trying it is a good way to discover why it isn't done.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

I think ViDWHAL is asking about presenting the entire game in both formats. That's certainly possible, but it's a lot of work, and I think that trying it is a good way to discover why it isn't done.

Edit: Oh God, I typed a lot. This is what happens when people can't stop me from talking about a topic I like! Not gonna lie my first though was this is just nightelf_37 again.

In my head the easiest way to do it would be to capture just the game video and audio via whatever. Capture your audio via mic as a separate recording to mix over the game audio. Then also capture your Webcam feed as a third separare recording.

Then you encode and upload a version with just the game and your commentary. Then open the same video, drop your head in the corner, then encode and upload that.

Of course the second you edit out long periods of dead air, you being lost or dying over and over (because no one wants to watch that for more than a quick demo), or have a glitch with any of your 3 separate simultaneous recordings it all gains in complexity.

On the plus side, you'd be able to have a direct head to head comparison of what people respond to better. Be it SA or YouTube people. On the downside, it would be a lot of pointless doubling up on work.

ViDWHAL:
As someone said earlier. We want to see the game you are playing as the central focus of the video. That could take the form of showing off as much content as possible, insight into the game's story or development, showing off the depth of the mechanics or even just quiet and contemplative vistas in the game world. Your commentary should elevate these kinds of things, not distract from them. A head, in a starkly contrasting style with different lighting and constantly in motion obscuring the game doesn't do that. Neither does padding for time by reading everything out loud. Assume we have a greater attention span and reading level than your average 10-12 year old watching the big names on YouTube.

That doesn't mean removing yourself entirely from the video though. You can express yourself through your voice. You can demonstrate your insight and knowledge by how you present information. You can demonstrate your skill by showing off the game to its full potential. The recent LP of Omikron had the LPer film short comedy skits based around the game which were added on to the end of episodes as (hilarious) extras. You can show us how the game makes you feel by showing us the game.

Anyone can pull a face and tell us a game is so epic and amazing. We want you to actually show us why. What you are doing now doesn't feel genuine, it's like a demonstration of a rulebook for YouTube LPs. The only part of you that you have put into the video is your face. Are you even picking games you have an interest in or just for whatever you think will be shocking and get the most views from the algorithm? Because if I were a betting man my money is on the latter.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 28, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I just want to comment on how insanely easy Nvidia Shadowplay is to use, I used to post let's plays in the dark ages of 2010 and the ease of recording high quality footage today is absolutely insane

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

QuarkJets posted:

I just want to comment on how insanely easy Nvidia Shadowplay is to use, I used to post let's plays in the dark ages of 2010 and the ease of recording high quality footage today is absolutely insane

For real. In a drawer somewhere I still have my Gamebridge and the whole mess of cables I needed to split the video and audio and get it where it needed to go. And now I can just Alt+F9 and go.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
I may need some advice... how to make records of old style turn-based combat interesting? Previously I skipped the details and simply post some comment instead but... I dunno. I feel like it was too close to something like walkthrough guide this way.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Eldsluft posted:

I may need some advice... how to make records of old style turn-based combat interesting? Previously I skipped the details and simply post some comment instead but... I dunno. I feel like it was too close to something like walkthrough guide this way.

That is probably the best way though, unless theres something interesting to show off about the encounter you're better off just skipping or summarising.

E: to elaborate further, lets say im playing one of the older final fantasies. When I encounter a new enemy i may take the time to introduce them and what they do. I would also show off if something noteworthy happened during the combat (e.g. getting killed by basic enemies, i or they have a new ability to show off etc). Its not worth showing off an encounter if its routine and nothing new happens though.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 1, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Eldsluft posted:

It depends a lot on what game it is. Like, for some games, often jRPG's(but plenty wRPG's as well), 90% of the actual gameplay is in the preparation for a fight, having the right elemental weapons and resistances up, and then once the fight starts it's just a back-and-forth of damage and healing, with little else to talk about. In those cases, just a couple of screenshots, with a paragraph or two explaining why you handle the fight as you do, what potential pitfalls or hidden interactions are, will do it.

Because honestly while I love a good few games that have that style, the combat in them really isn't hyper-interesting, especially not once you find a stable setup that will let you own nine out of ten encounters without even needing to engage conscious thought for a second.

In some other games, there are a lot of "routine" encounters which are really only worth glossing over, and a few tricky ones where the game actually varies up its formula a bit and forces you to prioritize differently. In the latter it's obviously more interesting, possibly even worth your time to deliver a blow-by-blow.

I think the only game(s) I can think of with turn-based combat where most of the encounters are actually novel and require different approaches would be the Divinity: Original Sin games.

Probably also goes without saying that almost all of this is probably best handled with screenshot LP's, and would probably be a poor fit for video.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

An unedited vlp of a jrpg has worked in the past with group commentary, with funny groups

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Namtab posted:

An unedited vlp of a jrpg has worked in the past with group commentary, with funny groups

I think that's also very much down to taste, because even with duos, I tend to find that finding one that's actually funny and not just an annoying mess, is like... I'd say one in a thousand. And the more people you add to the mix, the worse the odds get.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
JRPG combat and videos are an imperfect fit but can be done, usually with plenty of editing or just outright cutting it out once you've seen enemies and how they fight. As mentioned, the fact of the matter is that there simply isn't anything to really say when you encounter enemy #37 for the fifteenth time this dungeon unless something very silly happens where you unexpectedly die or something so regardless of how you present the game, just start cutting encounters out once you've shown what they can do.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As with all things you can ignore the advice of you’re funny or interesting enough

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Eldsluft posted:

For my Paper Mario Master Quest LP, I showed parts of a battle whenever I wanted to talk about a new enemy, or new move, or cheap shot etc... though Paper Mario is a lot more visually variegated than classic Final Fantasy.

This usually meant that I'd spend a lot of time on an area's enemies up front, and then note "Unfortunately, the Pokeys are still here. We KO them with Spin Smash" when getting into battles later (but not go into detail).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

A lot of it depends on specifics about the game itself, honestly, so I'm not sure there are any sufficiently universal principles to make for good advice. That said, you're welcome to look at my (in-progress) Bug Fables LP to see how I handle it for that game. Here's how I think about it.

The most important thing, to me, is that the reader can see enough to get a sense of what playing the game is like. Showing all the combat would be tedious, but showing too little would leave out a critical part of the game experience. I generally want to make sure I show every enemy at least once, every new mechanic and attack the player characters get, etc. So I'll show a full battle under certain circumstances:

-There's a new enemy, or an enemy did a thing the audience hasn't seen yet
-The player got access to a new ability I want to demonstrate
-I want to highlight a specific strategy, or explain the reasoning behind a choice I made
-Something unusual or interesting happened (e.g. a particularly tricky enemy formation, I made a mistake that went badly, an unlikely RNG event happened, etc)

Any special encounters (mandatory and/or scripted fights, minibosses, and bosses) I cover in full detail, with accompanying video. For everything else, I usually just cover the interesting parts and gloss over anything that would become tedious (e.g. I usually skip the final turn of battle if normal attacks are enough to clean up). I skip battles if all of the enemies present have been seen before, usually with just a sentence or two of explanation why it wouldn't be interesting to cover. ("We know what all of these enemies do and how to fight them, let's just beat them and keep moving." "We can end this fight on the first turn using just normal attacks, nothing to see here." "Here's an outline of my strategy, you know how it'll go.")

Or to make all of this much shorter, the question I ask myself is "is the reader going to learn anything about the game or its strategy from me covering this?" and, if the answer is no, I generally move past it.

(I started writing this before Quackles posted, and my style is heavily inspired by the one he used, which may not be surprising given the similarities between the two games. I'm not sure how helpful any of this will be for Ruina.)