Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mayor Dave posted:

Yes I saw ferngully

On the recommendation of this thread, even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 12 days!)

i'm trying to find someone with the facilities to breed freshwater mussels who'll let me breed freshwater mussels in their facility

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i'm trying to find someone with the facilities to breed freshwater mussels who'll let me breed freshwater mussels in their facility

Pretty much any municipality with a water/sewer system along the Great Lakes

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

I'm sure this is a bad idea to ask but.....

Why?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Basic Poster posted:

I'm sure this is a bad idea to ask but.....

Why?

It is the nature of biological organisms to breed

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
:biotruths:

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I never looked into it but i assume carbon capture just evicts the armadillos from the carolinas and takes care of unforeseen effects of climate change like ticks surviving winters and loving animals up

we have time because plants just grow wherever and don't require any specific conditions or anything and can survive a mild two degree hotter day better than moose can apparently

This is correct. Our people call it green lining.

(This was to be a dumb joke but i`m betting something like this will happen to poors with lovely cars or something)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the lower colorado river in texas

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

It is the nature of biological organisms to breed

Reads like a mod response to a qcs thread

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Armadillo Tank posted:

oh no

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Armadillo Tank posted:

:leavemtg:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Armadillo Tank posted:

lmfao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Armadillo Tank posted:

Someone is looking for young mussels

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

smoobles posted:

killer whales ate a blue whale

is that good or bad? i mean i would expect killer whales to kill things. do they normally just do it for fun or when paid to and that's what's novel about this?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

is that good or bad? i mean i would expect killer whales to kill things. do they normally just do it for fun or when paid to and that's what's novel about this?

If it was an adult blue whale it'd be pretty alarming that orcas were able to kill it. Those things are huge.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

We're gonna need a bigger pod

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If it was an adult blue whale it'd be pretty alarming that orcas were able to kill it. Those things are huge.

It was an adult and it was 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...tal-attacks-aoe

and that film crew is loving insane and badass

Tempora Mutantur has issued a correction as of 17:15 on Feb 1, 2022

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tempora Mutantur posted:

and that film crew is loving insane and badass

They sat in a boat and used cameras lol

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

They sat in a boat and used cameras lol

I dunno man they looked real close to orcas swimming by at the end when there was a camera behind the person at the rails with a camera

way the gently caress closer than I'd ever go to a group that just killed a blue whale

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
https://twitter.com/StreetFashion01/status/1487462424374648835?t=2U90r8dOBPs1ODxM-pe-Wg&s=19

Adidas saved the ocean. It's fine now.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
wow how inspirational, especially that message on the side. gives me hope

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
so they added some more garbage to the ocean

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Rutibex posted:

so they added some more garbage to the ocean

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

And that man is Kevin Costner in Waterworld.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I'm inspired. Gonna write "no more wildfires!' in lighter fluid outside and ignite it to raise awareness

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

What happened to the US and peak oil, or the idea of peak oil at all

back in like 2008 or so, it was all the talk

then, today, the US produces more oil than anyone. they don't have as many reserves though, i take it

I just got around to starting dmitry orlov's reinventing collapse, and it's interesting, but he's real hung up on peak oil and the US running out, but that obviously hasn't happened or really even threatened to, as far as i can tell

more exploration? price going up to justify exploiting reserves? technology? ???

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
shale and fracking happened

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

then, today, the US produces more oil than anyone. they don't have as many reserves though, i take it

I just got around to starting dmitry orlov's reinventing collapse, and it's interesting, but he's real hung up on peak oil and the US running out, but that obviously hasn't happened or really even threatened to, as far as i can tell

more exploration? price going up to justify exploiting reserves? technology? ???

The shale oil boom and Obama turbocharging the fossil fuel industry

You can see that "2008 or so" period on charts as a huge dip after a peak of our production followed by the huge spike once we started fracking the poo poo out of everything

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Feb 1, 2022

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Thats smart business. They took plastic they cant get rid of and openly threw it in the ocean to applause, and probably tax breaks. Simply genius.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ty

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
I don't know if you guys have an opinion but Project Draw down seems like the absolute dumbest poo poo I ever did see...

https://twitter.com/jabeckx/status/1488519547950878722?t=NXu5kK0z0WQPC9MILW_wIQ&s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

I don't know if you guys have an opinion but Project Draw down seems like the absolute dumbest poo poo I ever did see...

https://twitter.com/jabeckx/status/1488519547950878722?t=NXu5kK0z0WQPC9MILW_wIQ&s=19

https://drawdown.org/

lol their latest news update was over a year ago

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

when I think serious solutions to serious problems, I think etsy

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
like blanche dubois said i have always depended on the climate crisis solutions of federal policy and investment

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

We hit peak oil more or less as predicted. We started squeezing out more oil by using new technologies and going after inferior sources like shale.
Peak oil never meant running out. It means that it gets more and more expensive as you've gotten all the easy oil and move on to harder sources. I think most of the US shale operations are only marginally profitable, even if they do produce a lot.

The problem is that our society was built on cheap oil. One could argue that money isn't real, but you can think of it in terms of energy return on investment.

To use an example, imagine if your food started getting more expensive. There's still enough of it. You can buy all you need, but it takes a larger and larger share of your income, so other things in your budget suffer.

One could argue that we've been using monetary policy to paper over the cracks since the 70s and the end of cheap oil will gently caress us any day now, but that's true of a lot of things. Just like we were already hosed from climate change decades ago, the cheap oil society from 1940 to 1970 is already dead and just doesn't know it yet.

WorldsStongestNerd has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Feb 1, 2022

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

To use an example, imagine if your food started getting more expensive. There's still enough of it. You can buy all you need, but it takes a larger and larger share of your income, so other things in your budget suffer.

I imagined it so hard it happened

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Wikipedia posted:

Project Drawdown uses different scenarios to assess what different changes to global climate efforts might look like. Scenario 1 shows a 2*C temperature rise by 2100, while Scenario 2 shows a 1.5*C temperature rise by 2100.
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
bitch we already at 1.4

Copia, has to be what the government supplied pre-masticated dietary engineered food replacer should be called imo

Basic Poster has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Feb 1, 2022