Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it got down to 4 degrees in Austin last year and was below freezing for a week straight. this next storm is not that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sab0921 posted:

^^^
I don't know what to tell you if you think the 55% off the state that votes Republican reflexively fits into one of those categories.

I agree with this, with the caveat that the majority of voters in Texas have it good right now, which makes overturning the status quo an uphill battle.

As far as infrastructure being the issue, I wholeheartedly agree, our best chance is to run on that. The state of our power grid is a policy failure and we have to make that argument to have any shot of winning a statewide.

I think a lot of support would come from a campaign to legalize weed and the tax revenues that come from it.

LanceHunter posted:

I think everyone is overlooking the biggest known-unknown that will have a major effect on the elections in November: The fact that there will be a major SCOTUS ruling on the state's abortion law (and a possible overturning of Roe v Wade) sometime around June. And honestly, I have no idea what affect it might have.

The left lost the aborthion debate over a decade ago. The only thing that could possible be argued for are reasonable, less onerous restrictions and exceptions for rape and incest. But, that sort of reasoned approach is never gonna satisfy the left.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 31, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I have a feeling if there's any kind of push to legalize weed, Abbott and the Republicans will make a big political shitshow of it and Texas will end up literally the last state to legalize except for maybe Utah

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
It's mainly Patrick being the dictator of legislature basically refusing all attempts for it to even be brought up.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

I have a feeling if there's any kind of push to legalize weed, Abbott and the Republicans will make a big political shitshow of it and Texas will end up literally the last state to legalize except for maybe Utah

Let's do that. Tha stronger and more fanatical their push back, the better. There's a reason why Sid Miller's consultant is facing bribery charges, people were willing to pay him to get the right to grow it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Law enforcement has loving howled any time legalization looks like it might be a thing and the GOP isn't going to cross that

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Law enforcement has loving howled any time legalization looks like it might be a thing and the GOP isn't going to cross that

They crossed that line for permit less carry - law enforcement groups uniformly opposed it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

They crossed that line for permit less carry - law enforcement groups uniformly opposed it.

yeah, i was just about to say that. constitutional carry + delta8 hemp oil has has been a pretty interesting turnaround in how much power the rangers and local departments have on policy

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

i say swears online posted:

it got down to 4 degrees in Austin last year and was below freezing for a week straight. this next storm is not that

One, they're saying it won't necessarily take that much to take it down again. But two, it doesn't even have to be that this will absolutely happen this season no matter what for it to be a problem. It wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime problem - it happened a decade before, and it was from demonstrable failure of the electrical regulatory system and its infrastructure.

The point is that there's no reason for the public to have faith in core parts of our state infrastructure. If Republicans can only guarantee infrastructure will work if we get lucky and we somehow avoid the impacts of climate change happening again, that's pretty damning and if the Democrats ignore that, then why should they bother campaigning at all?

I agree that it'll be less impactful if the power doesn't go out this year (because it is inevitable in the next few years, it just may not be in an election year), but you still have to hammer on it because it hosed up a lot of things and killed hundreds of people here. It's a visceral emotional memory millions of Texans have.

Edit:
Welp...

https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1488250215211618309?s=20&t=I5IF1T7kNan4kgq-ti4rJw

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 31, 2022

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sab0921 posted:

because carrying more guns everywhere is a plank of the GOP. weed legalization isnt.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

The point is that there's no reason for the public to have faith in core parts of our state infrastructure. If Republicans can only guarantee infrastructure will work if we get lucky and we somehow avoid the impacts of climate change happening again, that's pretty damning and if the Democrats ignore that, then why should they bother campaigning at all?

yeah, i agree with this, i just don't get the prepper mentality of tesla batteries and well access and backup generators. i've lived in the third world quite awhile and the one thing i liked least was the middle class disconnecting themselves from infrastructure worries. bad buses? private car. unreliable grid? backup batteries, generators and fuel. poor water? on-site water tower trucked in from a private facility. crime? walls with broken glass and armed guards. it's a depressing downward spiral and none of that stuff is societally useful in the long run. maybe i can be one of the guards someday if i play my cards right

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What's there not to get about wanting a backup generator after what happened last year? I'm not saying it is a good thing that we live in a state where you might have to consider the need for one in an urban area but an individual can't change that.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

What's there not to get about wanting a backup generator after what happened last year? I'm not saying it is a good thing that we live in a state where you might have to consider the need for one in an urban area but an individual can't change that.

I live in an apartment. But I'm pretty sure I don't matter to most chuds.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

yeah, i agree with this, i just don't get the prepper mentality of tesla batteries and well access and backup generators. i've lived in the third world quite awhile and the one thing i liked least was the middle class disconnecting themselves from infrastructure worries. bad buses? private car. unreliable grid? backup batteries, generators and fuel. poor water? on-site water tower trucked in from a private facility. crime? walls with broken glass and armed guards. it's a depressing downward spiral and none of that stuff is societally useful in the long run. maybe i can be one of the guards someday if i play my cards right

I mean that makes sense and all, but what are people supposed to do if they can protect themselves from the catastrophic infrastructure failure they have literally no control over? Just sit in the cold on principle? "Prepping" seems like a completely rational and justified response to living in a part of the country without year-round reliable access to power and water.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

a $10-20k+ price tag

I'm still getting one anyway

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I mean that makes sense and all, but what are people supposed to do if they can protect themselves from the catastrophic infrastructure failure they have literally no control over? Just sit in the cold on principle? "Prepping" seems like a completely rational and justified response to living in a part of the country without year-round reliable access to power and water.

It's a preventable disaster that the state government just has no interest in preventing (or at least, while things like frozen pipes are hard to stop, the government absolutely has the ability to make sure the power doesn't go down). It's understandable, but it's still sad.

While a lot of "prepper" types have a mentality where they actually revel in the prospect of everything falling apart and being proven finally right.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I got a Generac after last year - I'm not going through that poo poo again. I have a whole house generator connected to our natural gas line that kicks on automatically in a power outage.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What if the natural gas wells freeze again?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

those kinds of individual redundancies are great if society collapses just enough for them to be useful, but any more than that and you're in the same boat as the rest of us (literally, on the colorado river, paddling toward freedom)

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

those kinds of individual redundancies are great if society collapses just enough for them to be useful, but any more than that and you're in the same boat as the rest of us (literally, on the colorado river, paddling toward freedom)

I agree, you can't individually prep your way out of major societal infrastructure collapse. And a lot of folks can't afford even some of the basic emergency supplies. To your point, rich folks in developing countries buying workarounds to lovely infrastructure is not a real solution anywhere, and we shouldn't accept that here.

But...there's a really wide range of prepping included in the definition of prepper. You're also talking about just prepping by having enough food that can be prepared in different conditions (storing extra in case you can't leave your home for days or weeks), making sure you have emergency weather supplies (weather radio, back-up phone battery, flashlights), cold weather supplies (coats for everyone, blankets), etc. We didn't get a generator, but we definitely bought more water storage containers, a key to turn off our water valve, wood, a small propane stove folks normally use for camping, and a weather radio, among other things. The water storage we already had and our collection of warm clothes and fleece blankets saved us.

Some prepper types also get more into community preparedness, so making sure your neighbors also have enough...or that you can provide for their basic needs in an emergency. I think we're at a place where folks have to anticipate they'll need to do some level of prepping, but we should still be outraged by any belief that it morally should be on the individual and not the government.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Mustache Ride posted:

What if the natural gas wells freeze again?

Last year during the freeze - local natural gas systems were the only thing that remained functional (I don't know anyone that lost gas service). I had no power or water in my 110 year old house (meaning no insulation) that got cold as gently caress and the only thing that kept any warmth in the house was boiling pots of water made from snow/ice from outside on a gas stove.

Based on that experience - I decided to get a back-up system that remained functional during the freeze (the only utility we had that did so). It will also be helpful during a hurricane.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 1, 2022

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

poemdexter posted:

I live in an apartment. But I'm pretty sure I don't matter to most chuds.

its fine just vent the exhaust out a window

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sir Tonk posted:

its fine just vent the exhaust out a window

works for kfc starter logs, too

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this guy wrote an interesting history book about dallas called "white metropolis"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Metropolis

https://twitter.com/drphillips2001/status/1488367006386728962

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ByEdMcKinley/status/1488541722045001736

Is there a parent out there who supports high-stakes accountability testing? I'm not sure why we still have it. I know why we have it politically (ammo for proving that public schools are bad) but if all the parents in the state are against it, shouldn't they be supporting candidates or movements against it? But I can't think of a single member of either party who has floated getting rid of standardized tests or end-of-course exams.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

STAAR tests are what happens when you disrespect teachers so much that you pretend you know more about how to educate kids than they do. The whole concept is insulting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Every state in the union does accountability testing and I think it was a requirement of NCLB. Texas started accountability exams in '79. I guess I must've taken some in school, though I don't remember them nor do I remember them being a major issue. Maybe the stakes are higher?

All I know is that I don't ever hear non-Ed.D.s say they like accountability tests, but no candidate ever runs on ending them or files a bill to get rid of them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how do you not remember the TAAS test? I got juice and crackers, it ruled

iirc I took them from 3rd to 7th grade, I don't remember standardized testing after that

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah I don’t remember any big tests in high school except the SAT and AP tests. Possible I’m just forgetting them though.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/MoseBuchele/status/1488572085945483265

also how's the whole eliminating rape plan going Greg

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at people in the comments, "that'll make a great attack ad!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We got his rear end now

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Not surprised we got people in the thread who repressed memories of TAAS. When I was in HS they were planning on retiring TAAS with TAKS (or whatever it was called) and they wanted my grade level to volunteer to take the TAKS to help calibrate it. Not surprisingly the only people who agreed to take it blitzed the test and used the remainder of the time as nap hours or whatever.

When we weren't wasting at least half a semester on the absolutely worthless TAAS and TAAS prep, we'd have to give over even more instructional time for the Stanford test.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The only memory I have of TAAS/TAKS is that the reading part of one of them was about a science fiction story called 'full circle' or something where robots in the far future wind up creating biological humans long after their extinction. Which was pretty baller for a lame standardized test.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was TABS from 80-86, TEAMS from 86-90, TAAS went until '03, then TAKS until '18. STAAR started in '12, idk if it replaced the other accountability measures or exists alongside them

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dameius posted:

Not surprised we got people in the thread who repressed memories of TAAS. When I was in HS they were planning on retiring TAAS with TAKS (or whatever it was called) and they wanted my grade level to volunteer to take the TAKS to help calibrate it. Not surprisingly the only people who agreed to take it blitzed the test and used the remainder of the time as nap hours or whatever.

When we weren't wasting at least half a semester on the absolutely worthless TAAS and TAAS prep, we'd have to give over even more instructional time for the Stanford test.

Wait, what? My schools gave a lip service refresher about a week before the test. The gently caress was your school devoting months to a minimum standards test for?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I had a 25 minute class three times a week that was theoretically supposed to be used for TAKS prep, but everyone just hosed around or skipped it

quote:

The gently caress was your school devoting months to a minimum standards test for?

uh, low test scores

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

uh, low test scores

i got the highest apush score in my school with a 3, no college credit lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got 3 5s, 2 4s and a 3 :angel:. And so much credit that I took 12 hours every semester of college and six hours my final semester.

Reading txlege twitter and I can only come to the conclusion that the state press is desperate for a grid collapse this week.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, what? My schools gave a lip service refresher about a week before the test. The gently caress was your school devoting months to a minimum standards test for?

That was referring to my middle school years and while I was in the GT program and our classes sailed through everything the rest of the school had uh.... a lot of issues that were socioeconomic driven. And there was only one policy for the whole school. When I was in high school was during W and there was huuuge pressure being put on our school district for how much funding you got based on these stupid tests because NCLB was just coming in.