Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Silmerias posted:

- A mature Star Citizen community (salt compilation)

Somehow I thank the whales for continuing to fund the game while they serve as our target. Nice ship, we'll take it!

Regarding Star Citizen, I don't have a definite opinion yet. A lot of things are going wrong and there is a possibility for this game to actually turn into poo poo, but it also has the potential to turn into something good. If Star Citizen is going to die it will be on its own anyway, so the only thing we can do is enjoy what's good before it's gone and we'll see where it takes us.

There are some choice quotes in that compilation video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/c7VhDcc.mp4

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
about once a year or so i'll stumble across a short video of some star citizen gameplay that actually doesn't look too bad and i'll think maybe this game is finally getting developed and then i'll dig a little deeper and everything still looks super janky and lovely and even basic stuff like "walking" and "interacting with things" still doesn't really work right and i'll find another video of someone touring the latest spaceship and it's just filled with placeholder terminals and crew seats that don't really do anything yet but absolutely definitely for sure will be filled with engaging gameplay at some point in the future! and like, who even wants an in-depth scanning or tractor beam or whatever minigame that requires a dedicated crew member to operate at all times? why even promise that?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Those were my bigtime gaming years, I put an incredible numbers of hours into all those C64 games, almost all of which were practically unplayable. That's IF they loaded, since all I had were cracked versions of them all, which could take anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour to load, and had a 50% chance of failing at the end, meaning you rebooted and tried again. If you stuck with it and followed through with the Amiga, you were treated to even WORSE games because all the focus was suddenly on graphics, to the immeasurable detriment to gameplay. It took me a few years to pivot to PC which was a graphical downgrade at first, but hey, look where we are now.

Then Star Citizen comes out and makes a very solid case that it might not have all been worth it after all. It takes a man like Chris Roberts to show us that maybe even the concept of gaming itself was a mistake.

One of the biggest offenders of looks vs gameplay was, if I recall, Psygnosis. They made some amazing amazing looking games and I remember struggling to play them because, like star citizen, how could something that looks so darn good be so unplayable.

They weren't broken though and crashed often, they worked great. Just the actual gameplay was super complex or difficult to the point where getting through level 1 was almost impossible.

PC games definitely started worse. I remember one of the big ones was the Battletech rpg game. It looked fantastic on Commodore and terrible on PC.

Also Pirates! Looked great on commodores and terrible on PC.

How the mighty have fallen. :)

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I have never played ED, but I can imagine someone experiencing "WARNING: Capital Class Signature Detected" for the first time in VR to be an incredible experience.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Silmerias posted:

We'll start by talking about the word griefing, only pubbies complain about griefing in a PvP sandbox game. I don't know what world we live in, but this new generation of fragile irritates me to the highest degree. We do really play the game since April 2020 and we are a PvP focused organization and because of that, we're one of the most hated groups in the game, even the CIG community management seem to dislike us for that reason. We're called griefers, stalkers, toxic, and we don't seem to belong in the Star Citizen community, etc. blah blah blah.

This part is where we love Star Citizen. It's a real salt mine like we've never seen in a game, people aren't ready for this kind of game because they think it won't be like Eve Online and they're wrong about that. We are here to remind them that the universe is not a cloud on which the Care Bears live, but a dangerous place where you have to be wary of what surrounds them. The level of stupidity of the players is beyond comprehension, they systematically make connections with real life, we even had complaints lodged with the police against us. I would have liked to see the face of the policeman who had to register the complaint, for "harassment in a video game" because we blew the guy up 3 times in a row. (namely that a video game belongs to the playful world and therefore the law does not apply here)

Now let's talk about the real problems of SC:
- An increasingly visible lack of seniority in development
- A dubious game design on a lot of subjects related to the lack of experience
- A community management without experience, pro streamer, freewheeling and uncontrolled
- A disastrous communication that tries to reconcile two opposite sides: the players who do not want PvP interactions and the others so that both continue to give money to pay their salaries instead of clearly defining things

1k replies, 435 upvote 1 year and still no answer from CIG.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/about-cig-policies-pvp-streamers-and-game-design

If the game will probably never be finished because in constant development given the turn of things and that it is full of bugs and desyncs of all kinds which tend to really piss off, not to mention the current limit of 50 players and the lovely community management that has us in the crosshairs because we're playing their game in a PvP mode we weren't expecting (infiltration, spying) and refuse to talk to us. On the other hand, we have a lot of fun destroying everything that moves in the game, destroying events, etc. And all this having invested between $15 and $45 depending on the account. Our battleships are light fighters that cost ~1.5M aEUC full fit in game that we buy in game in 3 or 4 days of PvE missions. I therefore personally believe that the cost vs fun is well paid for and was worth it. Yes atm only the PvP worst it from our point of view, everything else is boring as gently caress for us, but it seems the pubbies loves mining, play space truck simulator and loves harvesting apples on planets.

Witness of the fun we have with the game, our videos:
- All the playlist
- FrogSwarm vs Narweeen Team
- Operation WAX 1
- August 2021
- Pay 100k aEUC or die
- A mature Star Citizen community (salt compilation)

Somehow I thank the whales for continuing to fund the game while they serve as our target. Nice ship, we'll take it!

Regarding Star Citizen, I don't have a definite opinion yet. A lot of things are going wrong and there is a possibility for this game to actually turn into poo poo, but it also has the potential to turn into something good. If Star Citizen is going to die it will be on its own anyway, so the only thing we can do is enjoy what's good before it's gone and we'll see where it takes us.

So this is all great but you forgot one thing:

Cig sold this as also a non PvP game. In fact they sold it and told players they could even have a PvP slider to indicate how much or how little PvP they wanted to engage in.

Cig sold that promise to people and, as usual, never delivered.

So I can't say the people bitching shouldn't complain... the real problem is they were lied to about the product they were getting.

They shouldn't be complaining about griefers, they should be complaining to CR to deliver what he told them the experience was going to be.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

What the gently caress is this

French native speaker. Why do you think he has this outrageous accent? Now go away, or he shall taunt you a second time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

The Titanic posted:

Cig sold this as also a non PvP game. In fact they sold it and told players they could even have a PvP slider to indicate how much or how little PvP they wanted to engage in.

So I can't say the people bitching shouldn't complain... the real problem is they were lied to about the product they were getting.

They shouldn't be complaining about griefers, they should be complaining to CR to deliver what he told them the experience was going to be.

But I mean anyone should figure out that something like a PvP slider is nonsense.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kikas posted:

Wait is any of the Hull ships in the game?

The first Hull variant (Hull-A) is scheduled to release in about a month in version 3.17. The second (Hull-C) is scheduled for 3.18. The Hull-A has a decent chance of actually making it into the game as scheduled, but the Hull-C relies on a major feature that CIG likes to push back, so its state is a little bit more nebulous.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

WHAT DID YOU DO TO GARY

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

my favorite yoga move, if you can't hear your spine distending you're doing it wrong

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

But I mean anyone should figure out that something like a PvP slider is nonsense.

I agree.

However that did not seem to stop cig or CR from saying that was how it was going to work and selling it.

This is just one of many many things that logically make no sense but cig still sold, so I feel the responsibility for delivery is still on cig. :shrug:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Play posted:

my favorite yoga move, if you can't hear your spine distending you're doing it wrong

Stimpire yoga?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Pixelate posted:

Chris conjures the Hull C

https://i.imgur.com/6KAcfdW.mp4
He's a genius. I think I'm falling for him

I just realized there's no reason at all for this to fold up. It's mass doesn't change when folded and there's no drag in space. The mechanicals to have the thing fold up and maintain rigidity would add a poo poo ton of mass and complexity and therefore maintenance and cost of ownership versus just having a rigid structure. The fact that it does it's transformer bit would make it an aggressively worse space ship in every way that matters for a space ship with no perceived benefits, only significant disadvantages

It's like taking a useful thing and asking how we can make it dumber and less functional.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 1, 2022

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

BitBasher posted:

I just realized there's no reason at all for this to fold up. It's mass doesn't change when folded and there's no drag in space. The mechanicals to have the thing fold up and maintain rigidity would add a poo poo ton of mass and complexity and therefor maintenance and cost of ownership versus just having a rigid structure. The fact that it does it's transformer bit would make it an aggressively worse space ship in every way that matters for a space ship with no perceived benefits, only significant disadvantages

It's like taking a useful thing and asking how we can make it dumber and less functional.

what you've just described is basically their entire design philosophy

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

BitBasher posted:

I just realized there's no reason at all for this to fold up. It's mass doesn't change when folded and there's no drag in space.

Well, how do you explain the bulldozer in the Wing Commander movie? Check mate, fudster.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BitBasher posted:

I just realized there's no reason at all for this to fold up.

Don't worry, it won't fold up. Both the aurora starter ship and that new Argo one are supposed to hold containers and CIG hasn't been able to implement even that.

There will be a little update saying all the things you said (how it didn't make sense, etc) and the backers will be "of course *sluuurpppp* where can I buy more?!"

So everybody will be happy.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DigitalPenny posted:

So escape velocity is still better than both of them
:hfive:

.random
May 7, 2007

BitBasher posted:

I just realized there's no reason at all for this to fold up. It's mass doesn't change when folded and there's no drag in space. The mechanicals to have the thing fold up and maintain rigidity would add a poo poo ton of mass and complexity and therefor maintenance and cost of ownership versus just having a rigid structure. The fact that it does it's transformer bit would make it an aggressively worse space ship in every way that matters for a space ship with no perceived benefits, only significant disadvantages

Counterpoint: how can the one rotating gun on top shoot things in front if the cargo frame is always fully extended? Not really thinking this stuff through, are you?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I know everyone dogs on it but I like the Hull C. not enough to pay $350 (or any amount of money because lol C!IG). My head canon is that the arms are spindly holders for cargo containers and it drops off the cargo in orbit and can retract the whole business for atmospheric flight lest they snap off.

i mean, the entire premise of ww2 dogfighting in space is kind of unrealistic to begin with so it's not like its any worse than any other CIG design.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Even a fairly small container ship carries vastly more than all these dumbass spaceships a thousand years in the future.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DaysBefore posted:

Even a fairly small container ship carries vastly more than all these dumbass spaceships a thousand years in the future.

This is also a solved problem even in scifi. Remember the Nostromo from Alien?

(Sorry, yes, that's a Lego model, but it's the clearest picture I found on Google images.)

See that little ship on the bottom right? THAT'S the Nostromo. It's a tug. All the stuff it's attached to is the cargo (which in this case is an entire refinery). That makes so much more sense and is so much more efficient than all this crazy greebly ship CIG is coming up with.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is also a solved problem even in scifi. Remember the Nostromo from Alien?

(Sorry, yes, that's a Lego model, but it's the clearest picture I found on Google images.)

See that little ship on the bottom right? THAT'S the Nostromo. It's a tug. All the stuff it's attached to is the cargo (which in this case is an entire refinery). That makes so much more sense and is so much more efficient than all this crazy greebly ship CIG is coming up with.

There is but one kind of tug in SC and it's not that one

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's also the fundamental concept hidden behind that bit: why create all the complexity of special storage and/or transfer mechanisms needed to attach some haulage ship — just keep refining until the whole thing is filled to be brim with product (and largely worn out) and bring the entire sucker home.

That's a whole lot of greebles and moving parts you're missing out on while also conveying a narrative theme of throw-away use and abuse that feeds into how the Nostromo crew is being viewed by the company.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

BitBasher posted:

I just realized there's no reason at all for this to fold up.
I guess it can fold for atmospheric flight, but then why bother flying cargo ship in atmosphere with no cargo and pay for all unnecessary folding greebles :shrug:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

You have all this dumb space tech yet the literal Coruscant planet doesn't have a single space elevator attached to a mass cargo port that can handle deliveries without all that atmosphere and gravity getting in the way. Even Halo makes for better sci-fi than this nonsense

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Dwesa posted:

I guess it can fold for atmospheric flight, but then why bother flying cargo ship in atmosphere with no cargo and pay for all unnecessary folding greebles :shrug:

But then they'd have to make two ships — one for large-capacity vacuum haulage and one for atmo delivery and then they'd have to sell those two sep…

…hey, you're right. Why did they bother to make a cargo ship with folding greebles? 🤔

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cmdrk posted:

My head canon is that the arms are spindly holders for cargo containers and it drops off the cargo in orbit and can retract the whole business for atmospheric flight lest they snap off.

i thought they are giant coathangers to dry the captain's pajamas?!?

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I remember playing Wing Commander 3 back in the day and it was super loving cool and goofy. Literally playing Luke Skywalker in a space game with amazing graphics fighting a long side tigers and poo poo. Then I was hyped for the Wing Commander movie when I was like 14, and it sucked so much major rear end, and I loved everything sci-fi when I was 14, and I still couldn't force myself to like it.

It does seem weird and risky to give 400 million dollars to the director of Wing Commander the movie for his project that is essentially the spiritual sequal to Wing Commander 3, Heart of the space tigers.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bumble He posted:

Seems excessive. Not all captains are Ben.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Seems excessive. Not all captains are Ben.

Touché

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Shameful.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Play posted:

This is literally Dhalsim's standing hard punch in Street Fighter 5 (the first picture).

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

The Titanic posted:

lol lmao dot jif

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Erulisse posted:

And after playing for several days, after seeing how meticulously they did most of the things, how thought through most of the stuff is and then seeing what they actually are trying to accomplish I started to believe. Not in crobear, to believe that this tech they are trying to deliver for so long is worth the wait. I'd throw some more $ at them if I had some. If they accomplish the scale of interaction they are trying to do, this will help move gaming industry years forward.

lol lmao dot jif

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Pixelate posted:

lol lmao dot jif

Such a powerful own.
*yawn*
I'll go steal another ship. Who knew NPC ships can be boarded and stolen! drat!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Bumble He posted:

Dennis?? Dennis where are my pajamas???!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Erulisse posted:

Such a powerful own.
*yawn*

You seem to have self owned

Erulisse posted:

I'll go steal another ship. Who knew NPC ships can be boarded and stolen! drat!

Great! I hear salvage is coming soon so you can actually do something with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Erulisse posted:

lol lmao dot jif

Not sure what this means or if you think I'm making it up?

I guess this is a clip of CR talking about the various ramifications of how the PvP slider is going to work:

https://youtu.be/QvmeGoQFLlg

This is literally Chris Roberts telling you what kind of experience to expect from the game he's making. I'm not sure what more you can ask for. :)