Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
peak oil passed and there is no more profit in oil production. it costs more to extract energy than the energy is worth. but we have to keep extracting it, at an increasing rate, or there wont be any more energy. we will run out eventually anyway, and it will probably be sudden, without warning, and relatively soon, accelerated by the plummeting rate of profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Basic Poster posted:

bitch we already at 1.4

ah, yes, but have you considered you can't prove that it won't increase by only another 0.1C over the next 80 years, doomer? stop being so cynical and hope a little :)

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

edit beaten like 1.5 degrees

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

This bitch ain't ever tipping over.

Oil has peaked, capital is almost entirely fictitious, there was a dang cheeto in the white house, the climate has changed

And still I have to go to motherfucking work

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

you ever think about how our entire civilization is constructed of sinister black ooze that poisons whatever it touches

i keep thinking about how the real story of america is a perverse version of the Thanksgiving story: that the pilgrim settlers met the Indians and they taught them how to survive by growing corn.

but in the real story they keep growing corn. they grow corn and turn it into fuel and sugar and chips and cookies AND CORN WE MUST COVER THE EARTH WITH CORN

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVBNKTCCcl0

I just wanted some steak :qq:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's just a normal day at golden corral in philly i'd think

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

i say swears online posted:

https://drawdown.org/

lol their latest news update was over a year ago

its been a slow year!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
That was justified. False advertising and line cutting?fetting it from both sides there

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Crowded buffets are usually a wrong look away from a brawl if they have something special. The last time I went to a large one near me people were getting injured being shoved out of the way of the bluecrab restock.

I think they had kitchen personnel try and guard the trays until they got sat in the warmers but they just gave up and started setting them on a counter and running away, which was compromise enough for the horde who responded by patiently waiting for the crab tip off then going nuts rather than raiding the tray someone was trying to transport.

Its weird how the supply chain issues caused it over something like the worstbeef gristlesteak golden corral doles out like 0.5 ounces at a time though. Next up will be a stabbing over the last bowl of softserve or last cubed salad ham.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Rectal Death Adept posted:

worstbeef gristlesteak

pro user name.

I cant wait for the cell phone camera footage of just and absolute melee of butter golems going head to head mounted on rascals over the final chaffing dish of ambrosia salad.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They'd never Rascal-Duel over a salad

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Its jello and whipped cream buddy

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

It’s currently 90% humidity at 6am in Brisbane Queensland Australia. :tizzy:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Buffets pretty much always suck, don't get people fighting over mediocre food.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

The problem is that our society was built on cheap oil. One could argue that money isn't real, but you can think of it in terms of energy return on investment.

And not just energy return on investment, also energy return for energy invested. Shale oil, or oil from tar sands requires way more energy per barrel of oil to produce than conventional sources.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

scary ghost dog posted:

peak oil passed and there is no more profit in oil production. it costs more to extract energy than the energy is worth. but we have to keep extracting it, at an increasing rate, or there wont be any more energy. we will run out eventually anyway, and it will probably be sudden, without warning, and relatively soon, accelerated by the plummeting rate of profit

yeah this. what scary ghost said, but I’d also hold that thought in one hand and go back to what Rime said is that cheap energy (in particular gas) is the divine right of kings to govern. without it, government (or it’s current leaders) will get toppled and they know it too. fracking was actually a money loser but was funded through massive amounts of leveraging by the Fed and essentially made to be “profitable” by financial wizardry on the part of the Feds. this has to continue so we are going to increasingly subsidize and do whatever it takes to keep it flowing cheaply even if underlying that is toxic expensive rot. so it’s not just a matter of getting more expensive, we can “print” more money to cover it, but even the worlds superpower can’t print forever without consequences everywhere else and we are already seeing that with failing infrastructure, health care collapse, domestic inflation, and increasing squeezing and coiling other nations that still have resources to funnel to America with the right corruption and ‘incentives’

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

unwantedplatypus posted:

It is the nature of biological organisms to breed

Armadillo Tank posted:

Reads like a mod response to a qcs thread

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/bwmbRKa.mp4

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://phys.org/news/2022-02-climate-begun-suffocate-world-fisheries.html

quote:

Climate change has likely begun to suffocate the world's fisheries

By 2080, around 70% of the world's oceans could be suffocating from a lack of oxygen as a result of climate change, potentially impacting marine ecosystems worldwide, according to a new study. The new models find mid-ocean depths that support many fisheries worldwide are already losing oxygen at unnatural rates and passed a critical threshold of oxygen loss in 2021.

Oceans carry dissolved oxygen as a gas, and just like land animals, aquatic animals need that oxygen to breathe. But as the oceans warm due to climate change, their water can hold less oxygen. Scientists have been tracking the oceans' steady decline in oxygen for years, but the new study provides new, pressing reasons to be concerned sooner rather than later.

The new study is the first to use climate models to predict how and when deoxygenation, which is the reduction of dissolved oxygen content in water, will occur throughout the world's oceans outside its natural variability.

It finds that significant, potentially irreversible deoxygenation of the ocean's middle depths that support much of the world's fished species began occurring in 2021, likely affecting fisheries worldwide. The new models predict that deoxygenation is expected to begin affecting all zones of the ocean by 2080.

The results were published in the AGU journal Geophysical Research Letters, which publishes high-impact, short-format reports with immediate implications spanning all Earth and space sciences.

The ocean's middle depths (from about 200 to 1,000 meters deep), called mesopelagic zones, will be the first zones to lose significant amounts of oxygen due to climate change, the new study finds. Globally, the mesopelagic zone is home to many of the world's commercially fished species, making the new finding a potential harbinger of economic hardship, seafood shortages and environmental disruption.

Rising temperatures lead to warmer waters that can hold less dissolved oxygen, which creates less circulation between the ocean's layers. The middle layer of the ocean is particularly vulnerable to deoxygenation because it is not enriched with oxygen by the atmosphere and photosynthesis like the top layer, and the most decomposition of algae—a process that consumes oxygen—occurs in this layer.

"This zone is actually very important to us because a lot of commercial fish live in this zone," says Yuntao Zhou, an oceanographer at Shanghai Jiao Tong University and lead study author. "Deoxygenation affects other marine resources as well, but fisheries [are] maybe most related to our daily life."
"By 2080" so expect this in about 30 years

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Xaris posted:

yeah this. what scary ghost said, but I’d also hold that thought in one hand and go back to what Rime said is that cheap energy (in particular gas) is the divine right of kings to govern. without it, government (or it’s current leaders) will get toppled and they know it too. fracking was actually a money loser but was funded through massive amounts of leveraging by the Fed and essentially made to be “profitable” by financial wizardry on the part of the Feds. this has to continue so we are going to increasingly subsidize and do whatever it takes to keep it flowing cheaply even if underlying that is toxic expensive rot. so it’s not just a matter of getting more expensive, we can “print” more money to cover it, but even the worlds superpower can’t print forever without consequences everywhere else and we are already seeing that with failing infrastructure, health care collapse, domestic inflation, and increasing squeezing and coiling other nations that still have resources to funnel to America with the right corruption and ‘incentives’

even if they could print forever, the spice will inevitably cease to flow. and i doubt governments will bother publicly rationing it when that inevitability becomes visible on the horizon

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The fish won't all suffocate.

We're going to catch them all first!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Tempora Mutantur posted:

It was an adult and it was 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...tal-attacks-aoe

and that film crew is loving insane and badass

wtf

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

toggle posted:

It’s currently 90% humidity at 6am in Brisbane Queensland Australia. :tizzy:

owned

dont worry ill also be owned tomorrow when we get like 16 inches of snow lmao

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
rofl good thing we don't live in the water and this won't affect us

sucks for all those stupid fish that never loving evolved

what a bunch of loving idiot fish lmao

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

owned

dont worry ill also be owned tomorrow when we get like 16 inches of snow lmao

at the moment i'd be happy to swap

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

scary ghost dog posted:

even if they could print forever, the spice will inevitably cease to flow. and i doubt governments will bother publicly rationing it when that inevitability becomes visible on the horizon

yeah I’d agree. they’ll probably try a price cap to stop “free market” price gouging as the run on happens but lol

e: a very poor attempt at one first

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Feb 1, 2022

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

There will likely hit a point where they cannot really subsidize it for public use, but will continue for military usage. I expect some fun times internally and externally when we get there.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Crowded buffets are usually a wrong look away from a brawl if they have something special. The last time I went to a large one near me people were getting injured being shoved out of the way of the bluecrab restock.

I think they had kitchen personnel try and guard the trays until they got sat in the warmers but they just gave up and started setting them on a counter and running away, which was compromise enough for the horde who responded by patiently waiting for the crab tip off then going nuts rather than raiding the tray someone was trying to transport.

Its weird how the supply chain issues caused it over something like the worstbeef gristlesteak golden corral doles out like 0.5 ounces at a time though. Next up will be a stabbing over the last bowl of softserve or last cubed salad ham.

Buffet Refill Raider would be a good username

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

yeah I’d agree. they’ll probably try a price cap to stop “free market” price gouging as the run on happens but lol

e: a very poor attempt at one first

They'll ration it so that it go into military and private jets where it belongs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i posted this in the bird thread but it seems appropriate to understand the sadness in all the murder we do

paper: Long-distance dependencies in bird syntax

Biologists Identify First Animal That Communicates With the Complexity of Human Language: the Song Sparrow

gnn posted:

The tweets of a little song sparrow and its ‘bird brain’ are a lot more complex and akin to human language than anyone realized. A new study finds that male sparrows deliberately shuffle and mix their song repertoire possibly as a way to keep it interesting for their female audience.

The research, from the lab of Stephen Nowicki, Duke University professor of biology and member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences, and colleagues at the University of Miami, shows that singing males keep track of the order of their songs and how often each one is sung for up to 30 minutes so they can curate both their current playlist and the next one.

Song sparrows are a common songbird throughout North America, but only males sing. They use their song to defend their turf and court mates.

When wooing, song sparrows belt up to 12 different two-second songs, a repertoire that can take nearly 30 minutes to get through, since they repeat the same song several times before going on to the next track. In addition to varying the number of repeats, males also shuffle the order of their tunes each time they sing their discography. However, a big unknown had been whether males change up their song order and repeats by accident or by design.

To get some data on whether or not the birds intentionally shuffle and mix their tunes, Nowicki’s long-time collaborator William Searcy, the Maytag Professor of Ornithology in Biology at the University of Miami, loaded up the recording gear, trekked out to the backwoods of northwest Pennsylvania, set up mics pointed to the trees and patiently waited for five hours a day.

Nowicki says that fieldwork like this isn’t for everyone, “I would never use the word boring, because it’s relaxing if you like being out in the field and it’s a nice day and you’ve got your parabolic microphone and you’re pointing it at a song sparrow for hours. Some people would find that boring. I and certainly Bill would find that meditatively relaxing. The only thing that happens is sometimes your arm gets tired.”

After recording the full suite of songs from more than 30 birds, the team pored over visual spectrographs of the trills and analyzed how often each song was sung and in what order. The first clue that males keep tabs on their tweets to avoid repetition was that much like a Spotify playlist, males generally sing through their full repertoire before repeating a song.

The researchers also found that the more a sparrow sang a given song, the longer he took to get back to that song, possibly to build up hype and novelty once that song was played again. For example, if a male sang Song A 10 times in a row, he’d sing even more renditions of his other songs before returning to Song A again. Alternatively, if Song A was only warbled three times during a set, then a male song sparrow might recite a shorter rendition of the rest of his repertoire in order to return to the still novel and underplayed Song A.

Taken together, these findings demonstrate that song sparrows possess an extremely rare talent with an equally uncommon name: “long-distance dependencies.” It means that what a male song sparrow sings in the moment depends on what he sang as much as 30 minutes ago. That’s a 360 times larger memory capacity than the previous record holder, the canary, who can only juggle about five seconds worth of song information in this way.

While impressive, the implications from this work for humans are less clear. It does suggest that the order of words in human language, which is similarly impacted by long-distance dependencies may not be as unique as once thought.

It remains to be seen whether better shuffling ability gives males an advantage at finding love. Perhaps females maintain interest in a mate who mixes it up more, and are less likely to sneak off with another male. As with daytime talk shows, paternity tests are a good proxy for monogamy in birds, so counting how many chicks are sired by a female’s nest mate versus another bird in the neighborhood may be a future project for Nowicki’s team.

For now, Nowicki emphasizes it’s just speculation whether these shuffling song sparrows give Spotify a run for their money to keep a female’s interest, but does highlight our similar approach at the gym.

“You’ve got your playlist for running and the reason you’ve got that is because running is kind of boring. You know that these 10 songs are going to keep you motivated, but if you are going to run for 20 songs long, why not shuffle it so the next time you don’t hear the same songs in the same order?”

to say nothing of the literal billions lost to our fetish for giant window walls annually

mediaphage has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Feb 1, 2022

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://apnews.com/article/climate-floods-science-environment-and-nature-42655c2d26ebef9f76383a59bd1e6df0

quote:

Measuring climate change: It’s not just heat, it’s humidity

When it comes to measuring global warming, humidity, not just heat, matters in generating dangerous climate extremes, a new study finds.

Researchers say temperature by itself isn’t the best way to measure climate change’s weird weather and downplays impacts in the tropics. But factoring in air moisture along with heat shows that climate change since 1980 is nearly twice as bad as previously calculated, according to their study in Monday’s Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The energy generated in extreme weather, such as storms, floods and rainfall is related to the amount of water in the air. So a team of scientists in the U.S. and China decided to use an obscure weather measurement called equivalent potential temperature — or theta-e — that reflects “the moisture energy of the atmosphere,” said study co-author V. “Ram” Ramanathan, a climate scientist at the University of California San Diego’s Scripps Institution of Oceanography and Cornell University. It’s expressed in degrees, like temperature.

“There are two drivers of climate change: temperature and humidity,” Ramanathan said. “And so far we measured global warming just in terms of temperature.”

But by adding the energy from humidity, “the extremes — heat waves, rainfall and other measures of extremes — correlate much better,” he said.

That’s because as the world warms, the air holds more moisture, nearly 4% for every degree Fahrenheit (7% for every degree Celsius). When that moisture condenses, it releases heat or energy, “that’s why when it rains, now it pours,” Ramanathan said.

In addition, water vapor is a potent heat-trapping gas in the atmosphere that increases climate change, he said.

From 1980 to 2019, the world warmed about 1.42 degrees (0.79 degrees Celsius). But taking energy from humidity into account, the world has warmed and moistened 2.66 degrees (1.48 degrees Celsius), the study said. And in the tropics, the warming was as much as 7.2 degrees (4 degrees Celsius).

When judging by temperature alone, it looks like warming is most pronounced in North America, mid-latitudes and especially the poles — and less so in the tropics, Ramanathan said.

But that’s not the case, he said, because the high humidity in the tropics juices up storm activity, from regular storms to tropical cyclones and monsoons.

“This increase in latent energy is released in the air which leads to weather extremes: floods, storms and droughts,” Ramanathan said.

University of Illinois climate scientist Donald Wuebbles, who wasn’t part of the study, said it makes sense because water vapor is key in extreme rainfall. “Both heat and humidity are important,” Wuebbles said.

Environmental scientist Katharine Mach of the University of Miami, who wasn’t part of the study, said “humidity is key in shaping the impacts of heat on human health and well-being, at present and into the future.”

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
birds had their chance before the asteroid now they want to hop around yelling at me all the time

gently caress em

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

It's not the heat that gets ya, it's the humidity.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

metal.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scary ghost dog posted:

but rate of profit tends to rise, right

right??

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/01/extreme-heat-oceans-passed-point-of-no-return-high-temperatures-wildlife-seas

quote:

Extreme heat in oceans ‘passed point of no return’ in 2014
Formerly rare high temperatures now covering half of seas and devastating wildlife, study shows

Extreme heat in the world’s oceans passed the “point of no return” in 2014 and has become the new normal, according to research.

Scientists analysed sea surface temperatures over the last 150 years, which have risen because of global heating. They found that extreme temperatures occurring just 2% of the time a century ago have occurred at least 50% of the time across the global ocean since 2014.

In some hotspots, extreme temperatures occur 90% of the time, severely affecting wildlife. More than 90% of the heat trapped by greenhouse gases is absorbed by the ocean, which plays a critical role in maintaining a stable climate.

“By using this measure of extremes, we’ve shown that climate change is not something that is uncertain and may happen in the distant future – it’s something that is a historical fact and has occurred already,” said Kyle Van Houtan, at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, US, and one of the research team. “Extreme climate change is here, it’s in the ocean, and the ocean underpins all life on Earth.”

Van Houtan and his colleague Kisei Tanaka are ecologists and began the study because they wanted to assess how heat extremes were related to the loss of kelp forests off the coast of California.

“Ecology teaches us that extremes have an outsized impact on ecosystems,” Van Houtan said. “We are trying to understand the dramatic changes that we’ve seen along our coasts and in the ocean, on coral reefs, kelp, white sharks, sea otters, fish, and more.”

Other scientists reported in 2019 that the number of heatwaves affecting the planet’s oceans had increased sharply, killing swathes of sea life like “wildfires that take out huge areas of forest”.

Van Houtan and Tanaka found no measure of extreme heat existed and so extended their work globally. The study, published in the Plos Climate journal, examined the monthly temperature in each one-degree-by-one-degree part of the ocean and set the highest temperature in the 50-year period as the benchmark for extreme heat.

The scientists then examined temperature records from 1920 to 2019, the most recent year available. They found that by 2014, more than 50% of the monthly records across the entire ocean had surpassed the once-in-50–years extreme heat benchmark. The researchers called the year when the percentage passed 50% and did not fall back below it in subsequent years the “point of no return”.

By 2019, the proportion of the global ocean suffering extreme heat was 57%. “We expect this to keep on going up,” said Van Houtan. But the extreme heat was particularly severe in some parts of the ocean, with the South Atlantic having passed the point of no return in 1998. “That was 24 years ago – that is astounding,” he said.

The proportion of the ocean experiencing extreme heat in some large ecosystems is now 80%-90%, with the five worst affected including areas off the north-east coasts of the US and Canada, off Somalia and Indonesia, and in the Norwegian Sea.

“You should care about turtles, seabirds and whales, but even if you don’t, the two most lucrative fisheries in the US, lobster and scallops, are in those exact spots,” said Van Houtan, while 14 fisheries in Alaska have recently been declared federal disasters.

The heat content of the top 2,000 metres of the ocean set a new record in 2021, the sixth in a row. Prof John Abraham at the University of St Thomas in Minnesota, one of the team behind the assessment, said ocean heat content was the most relevant to global climate, while surface temperatures were most relevant to weather patterns, as well as many ecosystems.

“Oceans are critical to understanding climate change. They cover about 70% of the planet’s surface and absorb more than 90% of global warming heat,” Abraham said. “The new study is helpful because the researchers look at the surface temperatures. It finds there has been a big increase in extreme heat at the ocean’s surface and that the extremes are increasing over time.”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-austin-spilled-763000-gallons-acid-waste-ecosystem

quote:

Samsung Austin Spilled 763,000 Gallons of Acid Waste Into Local Ecosystem
By Mark Tyson published 2 days ago
Samsung Austin
(Image credit: Samsung)
A report published by an Environmental Officer working for Austin City Council (PDF https://www.austintexas.gov/edims/pio/document.cfm?id=375566 )reveals that there has been a massive spill of chemicals into a nearby stormwater pond, which feeds a tributary of the Harris Branch Creek in Northeast Austin. Up to 763,000 gallons of acidic waste was discharged into the pond, flowing into a nearby tributary over 100+ days. The result of the pollution, mostly sulfuric acid waste, isn't that surprising, with the Watershed Protection Department (WPD) staff reporting "virtually no surviving aquatic life" throughout the affected waterway.

Quite astonishingly, sections of the tributary to Harris Branch Creek had pH levels between 3 and 4. It is highly acidic, compared with what you would expect in a healthy pond or stream, perhaps on a par with household vinegar or grapefruit juice. A quick reference pH chart (https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/ph-describes-acidity-aqueous-liquid) shared by the U.S. Department of the Interior indicates that at a pH of between 3 and 4, "adult fish die."

A spokesperson for Samsung has provided a statement to local news agencies such as CBS Austin (https://cbsaustin.com/amp/news/local/sulfuric-acid-waste-from-austin-samsung-facility-spills-into-local-tributary-city-says). According to Samsung, "a majority of the wastewater was contained on-site; however, a portion was inadvertently released into an unnamed small tributary that is upstream of Harris Branch Creek." After discovering the release, Samsung said it stopped the discharges, hired a cleanup specialist, and is taking action to find a solution to the problem and "restore the tributary." Luckily, the main branch of the Harris Branch Creek appeared to be still unaffected by the catastrophe upstream.

Samsung Austin factory

(Image credit: Austin Watershed Protection Department)
Investigators confirmed the discharge has ceased and, between measurements on January 14 and 19, found the tributary had returned to close to normal acidity levels, between pH 6.7 and 8.5. At this time, the long-term impacts of the wastewater spill aren't easy to know, so ongoing monitoring by Samsung's environmental hire at the pond side and weekly monitoring by the WPD will continue.

While getting a large semiconductor plant built in your county or state might be welcome (https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-to-invest-up-to-100-billion-usd-in-ohio-mega-site ) for the sake of progress, the economy, and jobs, sometimes you have to pay a moderate to heavy environmental price. In the case of Samsung Austin, countless fishes and amphibians have paid the ultimate price with their lives. The WPD report says that there was limited public access to the affected waterways, with no parks nearby and no evidence of people living in encampments in the affected areas.

tomshardware dot com :awesomelon:

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Feb 2, 2022

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Acid Rain? Nah son, Acid Waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AtEQm8A18I8