Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Reminded a bit of how if Kakuranger had gotten a more straightforward adaptation instead of how it ended up due to them trying to stretch out the MMPR formula as long as possible(and also because of weird ideas they had regarding how they thought that season's robots would be received), it would have been easy to do a "Bulk and Skull have to become Power Rangers after releasing the season's villains by accident" plot, since well that's basically exactly how the first episode of Kakuranger goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It also still amuses me that they basically adapted Kakuranger backwards (For example, Ninjor's counterpart doesn't show up in the Sentai until about 36 episodes in and in Kakuranger the Shogunzords came first)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

It also still amuses me that they basically adapted Kakuranger backwards (For example, Ninjor's counterpart doesn't show up in the Sentai until about 36 episodes in and in Kakuranger the Shogunzords came first)

It's better than that even, going by zords

They adapted the last zords first, the first zords second, and the *second* zords last.

It's as hosed up and out of order as you could get.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

They adapted the last zords first, the first zords second, and the *second* zords last.

Yup, and as I alluded to above they also introduced the “Sixth Ranger” equivalent first and the actual Kakuranger suits last. Not entirely sure why they decided to do it that way honestly (maybe they thought the Ninjazords looked cooler/more “traditional” than the Shoguns or something)

Though despite not using the actual Kakuranger grunts (which is sort of weird as you could have easily passed them off as an upgrade to the Putties) I do appreciate them at least sticking to the whole yokai motif with the Tenga Warriors (which are based off the Karasu Tengu)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burkion posted:

The battle borgs were ugly F'd up beetleborg poo poo, and the Shogunzord was a brick house of ugly. With boring attacks too.

Ninja Megazord was the GOAT that season.

I should probably add that the Ninja Megazord kind of seemed like a weird step back from the Thunder Megazord (with its heavy armor look) but the added mobility of the Falconzord and the general cool look with the weird Gundam head and monster hand made it more threatening.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 30, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

The battle borgs were ugly F'd up beetleborg poo poo, and the Shogunzord was a brick house of ugly. With boring attacks too.

Ninja Megazord was the GOAT that season.

Agreed, the Ninjazords/Megazord were probably the best looking mechs in Kakuranger in my opinion (also we need more frog zords, the only other one I can think of was in Go Busters)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Frankly I wish PR would get that creative with Sentai all the time.

Just adapt poo poo in wacky ways- we've got a hell of a backlog, have some trains show up in KiraRangers

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I think it's because they used the Ninja Megazord in the movie and led with that for season three. And no one knows what the gently caress a shogun even is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
BattleBorgs should have been RoninZords :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
When I was young I didn't understand that there was a difference between the Shogunzords and the Battleborgs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BattleBorgs should have been made up of bees. They'd be Big Bee'd Battleborgs

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BrianWilly posted:

When I was young I didn't understand that there was a difference between the Shogunzords and the Battleborgs

I was too old to be in the target demo no I barely understood it either. Doesn’t help that they all do a Naruto ninjitsu hand sign and the Megazord proper appears assembled.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Season 3 of MMPR is better than it has any right being considering what a cobbled together mess it is, but one can't help but wonder what could have been if they had been able to do what Zeo did a season early and ditch most of the MMPR baggage so they could more freely make use of Kakuranger footage

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Season 3 of MMPR is better than it has any right being considering what a cobbled together mess it is, but one can't help but wonder what could have been if they had been able to do what Zeo did a season early and ditch most of the MMPR baggage so they could more freely make use of Kakuranger footage

Though unless they decided to turn Ninjor into a Ranger suit that would mean dropping a member from the team a season early (also it’s pretty clear from the footage that the female White was the leader so I’m curious how/if they would have worked with that in this case).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Inner Power Part1
ToDAY on POWER RANGERS: With Kat's Ninjetti Coin in Master Vile's hands, Zordon asks the Rangers to undertake a DANGEROUS journey of Self-Discovery so they can master the next level of their powers. Will the Rangers have what it takes to stop Vile from unlocking the secrets of Ninjetti?! STAY TUNED.

Inner Power, Part2
ToDAY ON POWER RANGERS: Billy, Tommy and Alpha hatch a plan to restore Kat's powers using ancient Ninjetti Armor. Can Tommy survive the Darkness, or will the Rangers be down two members?! NEXT!

Inner Power, Part3
Kat's White Ninja powers prove the key to unlocking the powerful Samurai Zords. But the strain on Tommy proves too much! Will the Ninjetti Armor sap his powers, or does the legend of NINJOR hold the key to his ext evolution as a power ranger?! FIND OUT TODAY, ON POWER RANGERS!

Yeah just move the team over to Alien Ranger suits as an upgrade and I guess make Tommy/Ninjor or something.

The AR suits are complete rear end though. It never would have flown

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Though unless they decided to turn Ninjor into a Ranger suit that would mean dropping a member from the team a season early (also it’s pretty clear from the footage that the female White was the leader so I’m curious how/if they would have worked with that in this case).

Personally I would just do a second half of Turbo two seasons early and drop most of the MMPR Rangers, except for two of them; Kimberly stays as Ninja White(thus giving a good reason for the female White to be the technical leader of the team as she'd be the sole veteran), and Billy stays as a non-Ranger supporting character(maybe use the Ninjaman/Samuraiman costume as him regaining Ranger powers later in the season instead of the canon Ninjor concept)

And since kids would be asking "what about Tommy?", simple have him be kidnapped by the villains at the start of the series(as they see him as the biggest threat) and turn him evil again, using the Hakumenrou costume for his evil form

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ninjor sounding like Dudley Do-Right wasn't when I stopped watching (that came in Turbo with the cast switch,) but I came very, very close.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did stop in Turbo and don't remember exactly when but it was before the cast change.

Started watching again in Lightspeed Rescue cause I was in college and it was on every Saturday, right around when I was waking up. Didn't have to worry about my family ragging on me for watching kids shows.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ever think they wanted to just go their own way and make everything from scratch or was it just so much cheaper to get the hand me downs?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hey everyone long time no post, Toei nuked my channel. If anyone's interested in a big fat zip full of my ranger edits, shoot me a PM.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Scaly Haylie posted:

Hey everyone long time no post, Toei nuked my channel. If anyone's interested in a big fat zip full of my ranger edits, shoot me a PM.
I'm so sorry. What a loving crock.

Fair use is meaningless.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I'm so sorry. What a loving crock.

Fair use is meaningless.

Especially since companies apparently have now found a way to circumvent it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanParrott/status/1491455115760320514

End of an era, certainly. I do admit I think he was at his best when he was doing Go Go with the Rangers' daily lives mixed in more but I can't really complain about Parrott. Liked his stuff a lot.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Radiant Black has been solid and Supermassive/Rogue Sun/Radiant Red are starting up within a few weeks if anyone's been missing Kyle Higgins or interested in what Parrott's on to next.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanParrott/status/1491455115760320514

End of an era, certainly. I do admit I think he was at his best when he was doing Go Go with the Rangers' daily lives mixed in more but I can't really complain about Parrott. Liked his stuff a lot.

Haven’t followed the comic that closely, who’s the new Green Ranger out of curiosity?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Haven’t followed the comic that closely, who’s the new Green Ranger out of curiosity?

Kimberly's ex-boyfriend, Matthew Hunt.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
The first half of Dino Fury season 2 debuts March 3 on Netflix and March 5 on Teletoon in Canada.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s a trailer as well:

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersFun/status/1494339720758714378

Looks like they’re repurposing another ToQger suit (the first one was back in Ninja Steel)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 17, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Crossposting

Speaking of PR

https://twitter.com/RangerBoard/status/1497189510840524800

Seems to be the new older audience PR series is finally getting going. Either the movie or the mini series judging by the shooting

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Between Ziggy/Dillon, Riley/Chase and Izzy/Javi, whenever PR has a Green and a Black in the same team they usually have a really good dynamic relationship.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dino Fury S2 is on Netflix now just FYI (or the first half of it at least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 3, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I love how Void Knight/Tarrick's idea of a inconspicuous disguise outfit can only be described as "Leather Daddy Casual".

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I managed to shotgun all of season 2 and man am I loving this show. All in all this might be one of the best series the show has ever had.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of season 2, do we have any idea when the second half is going to drop yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would guess June. That's generally how long Netflix shows go between season parts

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JT Smiley posted:

I managed to shotgun all of season 2 and man am I loving this show. All in all this might be one of the best series the show has ever had.

It is pretty telling that when they let the actors have fun with things for lack of a better term and give them cool stuff to do how good it can get. And not presumably writing it for, what was it, like six year olds or whatever the age range was supposed to be for Samurai?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kids are learning about Dinos this month so I tossed on the new PR series while they were having lunch.

They haven't been that transfixed by something in a while. It was pretty awesome.

Currently they're cleaning the toys in their room so they can see Eps 3&4. Dino Mecha are GOAT

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Kids are learning about Dinos this month so I tossed on the new PR series while they were having lunch.

They haven't been that transfixed by something in a while. It was pretty awesome.

Currently they're cleaning the toys in their room so they can see Eps 3&4. Dino Mecha are GOAT

Hell yeah

That always makes me smile

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Chance Perez has a very nice singing voice, I'm glad that they let him sing in that last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've seen the "rival stole my song so I have to write a new one" thing in I feel like at least a few times in different shows, but the solution of "perform my song anyway cause my version is better and I know I'm a better musician" was a new one that was good.

I also liked that guy's first appearance with his song that was basically him just going "Iiiiiiiim a giant piece of shiiiiiiit"