Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

I believe the repetitive scenes were all slightly different depending on the perspective of the person's story in that moment.

They were, but in some cases I didn't think a big enough difference that we needed to see it 3 times. Although there were scenes where the subtle differences in scenes were done so well, like Jodie Comer with the slightest change in facial expression changing the whole tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah didn't Will Ferrel and Kristin Wiig do the exact same thing a while back? Except the idea was funnier because it actually aired on Lifetime?

haha yeah that's what it reminds me of

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

They were, but in some cases I didn't think a big enough difference that we needed to see it 3 times. Although there were scenes where the subtle differences in scenes were done so well, like Jodie Comer with the slightest change in facial expression changing the whole tone.

In one particular instance, the same line was uttered by 3 different people and the implications were pretty big. I don't remember the exact line but it was something like "let us enjoy the king's peace and renew our friendships" - said by Damon, then Driver, then Martin Czokas's character. The effect being to show that each man thought/said they were the one trying to be a good friend to the other when in fact neither of them had been trying and a 3rd party had been trying to make peace between them.

Really good stuff.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

RCarr posted:

Yes the actual fight was pretty great. Matt Damon was ehh, and Ben Affleck was just pretty good. The bleached hair thing was stupid though, I agree.

The hair is awesome imo.

Closest thing to a Ridley Scott 'Final Fantasy Tactics' we will get.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I finally watched Don't Look Up, it was really good. I wonder if people who didn't like it felt like it was a scold, or were frustrated that whichever character didn't perfectly line up with whichever political figure they thought they were meant to represent. "You're going to be eaten by a 'bronteroc.' We don't know what it means!" made me laugh every time I thought of it for the next day, and had a perfect payoff.

0/10 too realistic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
heads up, it looks like Rifftrax is debuting a new Riff right now (and presumably it'll be on their youtube channel later)

it's i guess another movie in the Prince of Space series, Attack From Space. its pretty funny so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaMQfWO3-yU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I watched The Woman in the... whatever out of morbid curiosity. It's very weird. Some parts are plainly ridiculous jokes, like her daughter's gravestone always changing, but most of the time it's just played straight? I was kind of mesmerized at how noncommittal it was. I can't tell if they thought it would come off more satirical and just failed or what. I did laugh a few times, but rarely. It seems like they bought a legit script for one of these types of stories and just added a few jokes here and there and amped up some of the cliches, but failed to actually convert it to a comedy.

Don't waste your time with it, though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just finally saw Mission Impossible Fallout (Paramount Plus trial) definitely the best since MI3. I haven't watched the first or two since I was a lil kid (and I hear Woo's isn't really worth revisting?) but I'm ranking 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 rn
No Renner, Cavill kicking rear end, less quipping (less Pegg!), and Sean Harris not only doesn't have to do all the villain lifting but he also has a beard so he looks less like an angry rodent. Major upgrades here.
I did find it funny though that given the Lark twist, the dude is a terrorist mastermind but also an incredible dipshit who would've gotten himself IMMEDIATELY killed on his super secret mission just cuz he wanted to jump during a lightning storm 🤣 I guess if Ethan Hunt hadn't gotten to him in time the movie wouldn't have happened .

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Watched The Dry. That was very depressing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
On season sixth of Veep now.

It’s amusing how everyone becomes more terrible.

Selina Meyer really is a horrible president and her staff are just as bad. How Mike and Gary aren’t terminated is beyond me.

It’s an obvious thing to predict but the 1080 she did on “count every vote” once she realized she could lose was disgusting.

Thinking of it, Jonah Ryan is arguably the best character in the show. Yes he’s a gently caress up and is dumb, but only a notch or two more than the average staffer. And he actually treats his subordinates with respect, as he leads the only group without a toxic or hostile work environment (as long as his uncle is out of the picture).

I will also say the show has liberal rot brain. Such as wanting to criticize Israel, but only settling for “they’re too aggressive with their genocide!” and the “Free Tibet!” thing is such crap that belongs in 1980s.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

I finally watched Don't Look Up, it was really good. I wonder if people who didn't like it felt like it was a scold, or were frustrated that whichever character didn't perfectly line up with whichever political figure they thought they were meant to represent. "You're going to be eaten by a 'bronteroc.' We don't know what it means!" made me laugh every time I thought of it for the next day, and had a perfect payoff.

0/10 too realistic

I think the movie came across as smug due to being didactic and lecturing while also not offering any solutions or hope. Just a stupid nihilistic "wow these people are dumb tv watchers who will kill us all".

It was funny in parts, but every time I found myself laughing I found myself annoyed at how cardboard all the characters who weren't our perfectly intelligent protags were portrayed. Just a complete lack of humanity for anyone who wasn't on "our" side. Just wasn't interesting. You could have an obviously selfish character who still has understandable humanity but there was no interest in that kind of nuance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

Just a complete lack of humanity for anyone who wasn't on "our" side. Just wasn't interesting. You could have an obviously selfish character who still has understandable humanity but there was no interest in that kind of nuance.

Hate to break it to you but this is basically reality.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was planning on going to see Nightmare Alley next week, but guess that's not necessary now. It dropped on HBO Max and Hulu.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Hate to break it to you but this is basically reality.

No it's not, but that's a comforting fiction we tell ourselves when humans, with all of their feelings and principles and motivations and loved ones and favorite hobbies and favorite brand of snack foods (you know, their essential humanities) commit horrible selfish acts.

It's much more compelling to me when movies reflect this fact and don't instead pretend that the other side are horrible monstrous orcs.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Orcs would be preferable since you'd be able to see them and know to immediately not care about their hobbies as they actively thwart justice and any progress toward scaling back the worst excesses of humanity.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Medullah posted:

I was planning on going to see Nightmare Alley next week, but guess that's not necessary now. It dropped on HBO Max and Hulu.

Pretty good movie with some ridiculous, nonsensical behavior from a character in the 3rd act, and I think Bradley Cooper is one tier of acting ability too low to pull off the main character.

Art design was unreal though. I would - possibly literally - murder someone to have Cate Blanchett's office

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

oh gently caress yeah

it is SO loving GOOD

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
seriously, it is so good

the "how do you get a guy to geek?" speech from Dafoe was GOAT

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Orcs would be preferable since you'd be able to see them and know to immediately not care about their hobbies as they actively thwart justice and any progress toward scaling back the worst excesses of humanity.

That'd be fine and totally serviceable when talking about politicians and those with the levers of power but the movie in question is equally about that as it is a boomer fart about individuals and their drat tiktoks and TV shows.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Here's my dumb thoughts on a bunch of shows I'm midway through:

The Expanse Season 6 - Seems better than last season
Archive 81 - I want to like this, but it's a bit slow
Ozark Season 4 - For the love of god, can any character please kill the Byrds? They're insufferable.
We Are All Dead - So far, so good.
Peacemaker - Pretty fun.
Book of Boba Fett - Why is this so boring?
Reservation Dogs - I don't know why I like this show so much, but I do.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You like Reservation Dogs because it's a great loving show, one of the best of 2021.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

No it's not, but that's a comforting fiction we tell ourselves when humans, with all of their feelings and principles and motivations and loved ones and favorite hobbies and favorite brand of snack foods (you know, their essential humanities) commit horrible selfish acts.

It's much more compelling to me when movies reflect this fact and don't instead pretend that the other side are horrible monstrous orcs.

I'm not saying there is no nuance to people in reality I'm saying that's how we treat each other in reality.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not saying there is no nuance to people in reality I'm saying that's how we treat each other in reality.
The fact that people do dumb stuff in real life does not mean that the movie has to do that same dumb stuff. Some people thing the Earth is flat. This does not mean every movie needs to take place in a universe where the Earth is flat. Movies can be smarter than many people are.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The movie is not about "dumb sheeple" it is about a ruling elite incapable of navigating avoidable catastrophe because doing so would mildly compromise their positions of absolute comfort. Instead they get high on their own supply by imagining up obviously doomed "smart and nuanced" solutions that coincidentally change nothing systemically.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The planet of the apes movies are free on YouTube this month.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The movie is not about "dumb sheeple" it is about a ruling elite incapable of navigating avoidable catastrophe because doing so would mildly compromise their positions of absolute comfort. Instead they get high on their own supply by imagining up obviously doomed "smart and nuanced" solutions that coincidentally change nothing systemically.

I'd also repeat the bit someone here said about how at some point people decided that satire had to be subtle. But it doesn't have to be, some of the best satire is subtle as a brick to the head. And it apparently it has to be since I've seen a number of people be disappointed that the movie didn't have some deus ex machina tech solution or great political victory when...congrats that was kind of the whole point.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

PeterCat posted:

The planet of the apes movies are free on YouTube this month.

My parents had all of these oh VHS when I was a kid and I binged all six movies over one amazing weekend

Looking back there's a real sharp drop in quality after the first one but there's something fascinating about each sequel after the second being a complete departure from the movie that came before

EDIT: unless you're talking about the new ones, I didn't actually check lol

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 2, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

People are always trying to pin down what exactly it's "about" but it's straight up just a cynical look at modern society in general and there really isn't much more to it. It doesn't set out to have any answers it's just compiling everyones frustration into a little package. I get why some people love it and some people hate it. It's either cathartic or frustrating (but probably both) depending on your mindset.

I don't think it's a great or bad movie. I liked it enough. It's just kind of there for everyone to collectively throw their hands in the air and go "I know! Right?" Whether or not that lands is going to vary from person to person, but it's not really about one thing it's just sort of a reflection of how disgusted everyone is right now with literally everything.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
No it's pretty specifically about political and economic elites leading us to climate disaster. Don't Look Up was written by David Sirota, the not so subtle reporter and former Bernie Sanders staffer.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

But it is. The name of the movie is partially premised on "dumb sheeple". It is saying that all these people who aren't our beautiful and smart and unique Cassandra protagonists care so much about mass media and their phones, they "don't look up" from their distractions until it's too late and it's right in their face. The ruling elite use that catchphrase and the dumb sheeple buy into it passively or actively until the comet is right above them.

The end message is pure nihilism and has no hope for mass people's movements to make change (yeah I get it guys Bernie lost but cmon). I just think that position sucks, and any catharsis I had during the other parts was spoiled by that reactionary boomer poo poo.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I thought the message was more like, "Systemic factors mean that no matter how right you are about predicting it, you probably can't stop the coming climate/fascism/capitalism apocalypse, but its still worthwhile to try."

My biggest problem with the film is that the tech dudes plan almost works. It should have just been a pure scam where he was just sucking up trillions of dollars of govt money and expecting the russian/chinese effort to actually solve the problem.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

regulargonzalez posted:

Pretty good movie with some ridiculous, nonsensical behavior from a character in the 3rd act, and I think Bradley Cooper is one tier of acting ability too low to pull off the main character.

Art design was unreal though. I would - possibly literally - murder someone to have Cate Blanchett's office

I think I would've liked to see the version where Leo didn't pull out to do Don't Look Up.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Wolfsheim posted:

My parents had all of these oh VHS when I was a kid and I binged all six movies over one amazing weekend

Looking back there's a real sharp drop in quality after the first one but there's something fascinating about each sequel after the second being a complete departure from the movie that came before

EDIT: unless you're talking about the new ones, I didn't actually check lol
No I'm at the 1968 original and it's sequels.

I agree it's kind of amazing to watch how each movie is something different though the second one is basically a remake of the first one only with a much more nihilistic ending.

The budget of the last one was shockingly low though where the convoy of humans attacking the apes are riding around in a school bus and a couple of other used cars, though I suppose I could be a commentary on how far things have gone after the apocalypse.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Suicide Squad is mostly bad, but there's a part in the middle where it becomes a Doctor Who episode for twenty or thirty minutes, complete with Doctor Who.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So you're saying it gets worse

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I finished All of Us are Dead. Very uneven, more YA than I thought it would be. It could have been cut by half if they didn't introduce that weird plot twist, because the only purpose the plot device served was to stretch the series length by introducing a new villain.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Don't Look Up is a weird movie, there's a lot of half-baked stuff in there. Both relationship sub plots go nowhere, Chalamet is completely wasted, the president is actually like 3 different characters, etc etc. It could've been funny but it needed more time in the oven IMO. The best joke in the movie is the general charging for snacks and they recycle it like 6 times.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LifeLynx posted:

I finished All of Us are Dead. Very uneven, more YA than I thought it would be. It could have been cut by half if they didn't introduce that weird plot twist, because the only purpose the plot device served was to stretch the series length by introducing a new villain.

The 6 episode model for UK shows is highly underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So you're saying it gets worse

not empty quoting (Dr. Who is stupid trash)