Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

"What are you going to do, oust me?"
                        - Man ousted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Forget security, I wouldn't go just because of the noise. In Victoria the protest on the weekend was loud enough to hear it a kilometer away. Loud enough to wake babies and drive dogs nuts for thousands of families. There's protests there for something or other almost every weekend, but this was the first one loud enough that I could hear it from home.

No way would I get closer to that racket just to get a haircut or a burger.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Is NDP a dirty word now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
For whom?

The federal NDP's best ever showing was official opposition to a Conservative majority government after the Liberals collapsed completely. Despite having considerably more power now, and in the previous government, they don't seem inclined to throw that weight around. They're essentially irrelevant because they refuse to do anything.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 1, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Facebook Aunt posted:

Forget security, I wouldn't go just because of the noise. In Victoria the protest on the weekend was loud enough to hear it a kilometer away. Loud enough to wake babies and drive dogs nuts for thousands of families. There's protests there for something or other almost every weekend, but this was the first one loud enough that I could hear it from home.

No way would I get closer to that racket just to get a haircut or a burger.

Yeah that's really been the distinguishing feature - driving around in cars honking horns everywhere.

On the one hand I really hope this isn't the future of protest for everyone. On the other hand it seems like a great way to turn public opinion against your cause, regardless of what it is. So I'm guessing it's unlikely to catch on.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
I’ve seen a few posts about teachers and students in Sask taking action on Feb 2nd. They want masks, air filtration, keeping track of covid exposures, etc. good stuff. There is also a rally at the U of R for freezing tuition hikes.

Sorry, I don’t have more information. It’s nice to hear of some action for safe work places, though. I can post more details if I find helpful info.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yellow Ant posted:

I’ve seen a few posts about teachers and students in Sask taking action on Feb 2nd. They want masks, air filtration, keeping track of covid exposures, etc. good stuff. There is also a rally at the U of R for freezing tuition hikes.

Sorry, I don’t have more information. It’s nice to hear of some action for safe work places, though. I can post more details if I find helpful info.

Students at SFU were due to go back to class last Monday. They staged mass walkouts and the university switched back to distance learning until omicron passes.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Well based off that tweet apparently the NDP are practically nazis which otoole doesn't want the CPC to become the NDP of the right.

Like the NDP has been so ineffectual I'm surprised it's a CPC dirty word. Or is it more entrenched of the 2 party "let's take turns" with the LPC by more marginalizing the "far" left vote

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah that's really been the distinguishing feature - driving around in cars honking horns everywhere.

On the one hand I really hope this isn't the future of protest for everyone. On the other hand it seems like a great way to turn public opinion against your cause, regardless of what it is. So I'm guessing it's unlikely to catch on.

I think it comes from most of these people not having much life experience as pedestrians. Horns are loud as hell when you're walking on the street. The protest movements I've been involved in have always seem to be largely urban movements, where solid numbers of pedestrians can fill lots of space.

These movements seem threatening due to noise and the tension/stress that it creates. All the anti-vaxx weekend protests I've seen in Vancouver are generally just 10-15 trucks, taunting and insulting the residents of the cities they are afraid themselves to walk in.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ARACHTION posted:

These movements seem threatening due to noise and the tension/stress that it creates. All the anti-vaxx weekend protests I've seen in Vancouver are generally just 10-15 trucks, taunting and insulting the residents of the cities they are afraid themselves to walk in.

Good point. To maybe expand on this, I think it's also telling that any organized BLM or #notanotherblacklife protest I've been to in Toronto has been largely musical - not just coordinated chants, but brass and percussion ensembles, and even trucks with rented soundsystems on them. Conversely, these CHUDs' ideas of protest energy is laying on their >100dB horns. They're terrified of leaving their cabs inside a city, and they're criminally lacking in rhythm.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Well based off that tweet apparently the NDP are practically nazis which otoole doesn't want the CPC to become the NDP of the right.

Like the NDP has been so ineffectual I'm surprised it's a CPC dirty word. Or is it more entrenched of the 2 party "let's take turns" with the LPC by more marginalizing the "far" left vote

I read it as both. He sees the NDP as the ineffective radical fringe of the Liberals. He doesn't want to lose his party's viable chance at becoming the governing party when others would turn it into the party of fringe alt-right.

If O'Toole is out, and the PPC Chuds take over the CPC, they may lose a few election cycles, but these are not the people I want gaining functional knowledge of how government works. I prefer them far out on the fringe, demanding the Governor General install the Q-Anon Queen or whatever the gently caress their manifesto asked for hahahaha

Canadians are moderate as hell and if the convoy goes home with the dominant narrative as "Antivaxx losers desecrate monuments and are annoying angry assholes", that is a good case scenario. I do not believe conflicts with the police will make them martyrs of anyone but their own already entrenched supporters. I think most see this as a fight they picked and it hasn't been a PR win.

Let's see how it plays out, but I'm waaaaay too glued to my social media these days holy hell.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

ARACHTION posted:

I think it comes from most of these people not having much life experience as pedestrians. Horns are loud as hell when you're walking on the street. The protest movements I've been involved in have always seem to be largely urban movements, where solid numbers of pedestrians can fill lots of space.

Lol I'd also bet their life experience of housing has been suburban tract neighbourhoods where one car honking bothers maybe a dozen people.

There's also an exclusionary element to it. Literally anyone can join a normal marching protest (yes there are other barriers). But you better own a car to ride with the flu trucks clan.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Sorry but if this doesn't sum up these clowns then nothing will 😂

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://twitter.com/susanvhthompson/status/1488358309367193610?s=21

gently caress, and I cannot stress this enough, the police.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Students at SFU were due to go back to class last Monday. They staged mass walkouts and the university switched back to distance learning until omicron passes.

That’s awesome!

Here is a post from the Safe Schools Saskatchewan group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/safeschoolssaskatchewan/permalink/628684968216349/

quote:

School divisions have been left in the unenviable position of having to make public health decisions that fall far outside of their expertise. There is no consistency or transparency.

Families and school staff deserve to know how many cases are in their school. There should be thresholds that trigger certain measures, and every stakeholder should know what those thresholds and measures are.

Instead of a predictable and transparent set of measures, our government opted for no plan. They opted for chaos. They opted to keep us in the dark.

This will not be our last wave, but let’s work together to make sure this is our last wave without the following things:

🟠 N95s for students and staff

🟠 Transparent public documentation of air quality reports for each classroom. The virus is spread in the air. Clean air must be our minimum standard for schools.

🟠 A provincial framework for dealing with school cases created with public health officials and supported by the ministry of education. This framework must address case loads in the school and wider community. Levels should trigger actions that reduce the spread. This must be public information.

Moving online should not be a sudden surprise. Families and school staff should be able to predict that a move is imminent because of a transparent framework and school case reporting system. This would allow families and educators to plan for transitions to online learning.

We must work together to call on our government to be proactive instead of reactive. We must not give up hope or expect that someone else will fight to get this in place. We must do this for our children and our students.

Safe Schools Saskatchewan can help lead the way with tangible actions we can take. Stay tuned…

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Yellow Ant posted:

That’s awesome!

Here is a post from the Safe Schools Saskatchewan group:

Is this a K-12 group or post-secondary?

I'm asking because in Manitoba there was a mass K-12 walkout planned which got a bunch of media coverage and then when the day came schools saw tiny numbers of students actually taking part. The media was on hand to publish photos of "the student walkout" which in many cases was 4 students from a population of 1100 students. It was disappointing both from the student advocacy and engagement side and the way the media handled it.

The way social media presents this sort of thing compared to how things actually shake out is interesting. It reminds me of the time that there was some sort of backlash against a Call of Duty game on Steam and there was a group of 1000s of people who joined a boycott group and then when the game was released if you looked at the status of that boycott group they were all in-game playing Call of Duty.

Note: I'm not making an argument against student activism or arguing that we don't need safer schools. I'm just thinking about the way social and now mainstream media amplify this kind of event, especially considering the current rear end in a top hat convoy in Ottawa.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Icy hot take from a local journo who emerged from her cocoon a lovely, error-prone classist municipal councillor

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Alberta has fully jumped the loving shark.

https://twitter.com/AHS_media/status/1488527559843221505

"Burdened by the symptoms of the disease we did nothing to prevent? Why not try re-enacting motherfucking Memento?!"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/aussieinTO/status/1488146432423043085

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

infernal machines posted:

"What are you going to do, oust me?"
                        - Man ousted

He honestly thinks he's going to skate out of the leadership review with like 75%+ approval doesn't he?

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

InfiniteZero posted:

Is this a K-12 group or post-secondary?

I'm asking because in Manitoba there was a mass K-12 walkout planned which got a bunch of media coverage and then when the day came schools saw tiny numbers of students actually taking part. The media was on hand to publish photos of "the student walkout" which in many cases was 4 students from a population of 1100 students. It was disappointing both from the student advocacy and engagement side and the way the media handled it.

The way social media presents this sort of thing compared to how things actually shake out is interesting. It reminds me of the time that there was some sort of backlash against a Call of Duty game on Steam and there was a group of 1000s of people who joined a boycott group and then when the game was released if you looked at the status of that boycott group they were all in-game playing Call of Duty.

Note: I'm not making an argument against student activism or arguing that we don't need safer schools. I'm just thinking about the way social and now mainstream media amplify this kind of event, especially considering the current rear end in a top hat convoy in Ottawa.

Honestly not sure. I only heard about it yesterday. I think it is more K-12. The Feb 2nd Sick Out banner seems to be gone... maybe there were concerns about the number of participants. Weather isn’t great this week, either.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Alberta has fully jumped the loving shark.

https://twitter.com/AHS_media/status/1488527559843221505

"Burdened by the symptoms of the disease we did nothing to prevent? Why not try re-enacting motherfucking Memento?!"

This is a satire Twitter account right? Truly we live in the worst timeline. Or worst timeline, so far.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Xaranthius posted:

This is a satire Twitter account right? Truly we live in the worst timeline. Or worst timeline, so far.

Sadly it is not, someone actually thought that tweet was a good idea.

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

infernal machines posted:

I'm going to go to bat for the police in general, but Peter Sloly in particular was considered to be a pretty good one here in Toronto. He was pushing internally for significant reform across the board and with how TPS deals with racialized minorities, and I think it's pretty likely that's why he got the boot and left for Ottawa.

Sloly actually lost out on getting the chief's job in Toronto because he was campaigning for less reactionary measures and more preventative measures - i.e. funding for mental health, social housing, and the like - and in general treating crime as a health issue like Scotland has done to varying degrees of success. Watson hired him as chief mainly because of this, and his stark difference in contrast to the previous chief who has absolutely crippled OPS thanks to his ineptitude. Even before last year, Sloly had been campaigning for many of the same talking points that are finally being discussed in the mainstream now.

There is an intense schism within OPS right now. There is an old guard who are very much old, white, and men who are downright hostile to new members - especially members who are visible minorities and women. That's why Sloly pushed so hard to recruit the largest class in OPS history back in 2020 - also the most diverse group of hired officers - but now thanks to Covid, hiring has been frozen. He's very much trying to change a culture that is actively lashing back against him. He's trying to streamline the complaints process, but he's being pushed back every step of the way. It's at the point now where officers can't even rely on the internal process for complaints, so they just file complaints through the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario. (Most cases end up being settled out of court.) I think there's also a new-ish initiative that allows officers to make complaints outside of the normal chain of command. Possibly anonymously as well.

OFS has the same problem, which is why they're hiring like crazy right now in an attempt to diversify. A large portion of the Emergency Services in Ottawa are close to retirement age. Conversely, interest in working for these services amongst qualified individuals is at an all-time low. This is why it's very common to see attrition rates as high as 90% amongst applicants even making it past the first round. I remember seeing a tweet from OPS that basically said, "If you have an interview, you should show up dressed for the position." The fact that a professional organization had to say that was absolutely bonkers.

It's absolutely terrible to see these protests being treated with kids' gloves compared to the one a few months ago where they went in all gang-busters in the middle of the night to clear out some twenty people from an intersection. But at the same time, I remember Sloly on the ground talking to protesters when people were marching after George Floyd. A lot of the videos I've seen of cops talking to these truckers, they've all been old and white. That gives me a bit of hope for reform.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I really wish we had seen that kind of reform here in Toronto. Instead he was sidelined for Mark Saunders who when whole hog on "more of the same" for most of his tenure, before half-heartedly trying to modernize things without addressing any of the systemic issues within TPS.

I really do wish him the best in Ottawa, both for the city itself and to demonstrate that reform can in fact happen even in the face of entrenched interests.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Get ready for the RW echo chamber to latch on to this.

https://twitter.com/hollyanndoan/status/1488494510539689988

"Number of ballot kits late, cancelled or marked lost in the mail was greater than margin of victory."

The implication being that these ballots that were either not returned on time, not returned at all, or were cancelled because the voter voted in-person instead, could have changed the result of the last federal election. The EC report itself doesn't break things down riding by riding, however, but I'm doubtful any close races may have changed hands, and enough of them to sway the seat count to a great enough degree.

Marty Crane posted:

eIt's absolutely terrible to see these protests being treated with kids' gloves compared to the one a few months ago where they went in all gang-busters in the middle of the night to clear out some twenty people from an intersection. But at the same time, I remember Sloly on the ground talking to protesters when people were marching after George Floyd. A lot of the videos I've seen of cops talking to these truckers, they've all been old and white. That gives me a bit of hope for reform.

I do think Sloly is a good cop and he does want to work to fix up the OPS, but the OPS has a lot of problems, as you mentioned.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

HackensackBackpack posted:

"Number of ballot kits late, cancelled or marked lost in the mail was greater than margin of victory."

Ahahaahahhahhahhaahaahahahaha

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The implication being that these ballots that were either not returned on time, not returned at all, or were cancelled because the voter voted in-person instead, could have changed the result of the last federal election. The EC report itself doesn't break things down riding by riding, however, but I'm doubtful any close races may have changed hands, and enough of them to sway the seat count to a great enough degree.

Lol what the gently caress is going on here. Why would they be apologizing for people that submitted their ballots late or canceled to vote in person? Why is this article paywalled?? Seems like a great way to just get people to make poo poo up in their head.

My riding came down to 76 votes so I really wonder what the regional breakdown is like.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I do think Sloly is a good cop and he does want to work to fix up the OPS, but the OPS has a lot of problems, as you mentioned.

Turns out 200,000 more Albertans didn't vote for JT.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The towing company spotted near coutts is being review bombed by terrorist sympathizers.

Talk about fitting a mold.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Starks posted:

Lol what the gently caress is going on here. Why would they be apologizing for people that submitted their ballots late or canceled to vote in person? Why is this article paywalled?? Seems like a great way to just get people to make poo poo up in their head.

My riding came down to 76 votes so I really wonder what the regional breakdown is like.

I assume they're pulling numbers out of https://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=res&dir=rep/off/sta_ge44&document=p2&lang=e

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Powershift posted:

The towing company spotted near coutts is being review bombed by terrorist sympathizers.

Talk about fitting a mold.

Well let's start off by saying I eat at the keg across Canada a LOT.

I love google reviews. They're so wonderfully pointless.

e: I thought conservatives were AGAINST cancel culture, but it seems that they may be FOR cancel culture. This is making me rethink my beliefs.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 1, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yes, it's this table (which I'm too lazy to screenshot, but you can find it at the above link):

https://twitter.com/WinnipegLionFan/status/1488536387615924229

So of the 205k not counted, 115k were not returned or cancelled, and obviously should not be counted because ... they weren't returned! How the gently caress would you even know who they would've voted for if they didn't cancel it to vote in person?

1k are spoiled. Whatever, that doesn't seem unusual at all.

90k were returned late and not counted. That's 5.8% of domestic mail-in ballots and 21% of international. Personally, I think it's unfair to require international ballots to arrive in Ottawa by election day to count, but that's the law. It would take a great deal of loving with Canada Post to achieve similar results with domestic ballots but given our short writ, it's not outside of the realm of possibility for a future Conservative government.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/getbac/status/1488613181387952131?s=21

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I had occasion to deal with Blair after something bad we went through, and just wanted to add he’s a really kind guy too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It sounds like a lot of the semis have left the coutts blockade but a bunch of pickups and tractors have replaced them, actually running police roadblocks.

https://twitter.com/herberandt/status/1488618258261495814

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

It sounds like a lot of the semis have left the coutts blockade but a bunch of pickups and tractors have replaced them, actually running police roadblocks.

https://twitter.com/herberandt/status/1488618258261495814

Send in the loving tanks! I'm horny to see some CHUDs run the gently caress over!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
It was going so well.

https://twitter.com/JulieSLalonde/status/1488616517709217792/photo/1

But then our Nazi cops let them run a pickup truck worth of fuel in.

We're never getting out of this. The cops will probably ask for more funds from council to give to them, and Watson is spineless enough to cave.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somebody assaulted some cops at the Coutts blockade, the cops all left, and there is now another blockade on highway 2 by standoff.

It's starting to sound like appeasing these idiots was a bad idea.