Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

black mage question: is immediately using a firestarter proc an important optimization for overall DPS at 90? Currently level 61 and finding it somewhat frustrating to know I'm missing easy damage every time I don't use a firestarter proc immediately after I get it, which is fairly often since it requires you to look at the button rather than watching your character (for me, at least, the firestarter buff notification appears after F3 gets highlighted, and if you cast based on when the buff notification appears then you'll inevitably overwrite procs by casting it a GCD later than you could every time). but I know BLM changes a lot as you level, so if this falls out of the rotation as you level I'll just roll with it for now and not bother trying to master the timing.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Valentin posted:

black mage question: is immediately using a firestarter proc an important optimization for overall DPS at 90? Currently level 61 and finding it somewhat frustrating to know I'm missing easy damage every time I don't use a firestarter proc immediately after I get it, which is fairly often since it requires you to look at the button rather than watching your character (for me, at least, the firestarter buff notification appears after F3 gets highlighted, and if you cast based on when the buff notification appears then you'll inevitably overwrite procs by casting it a GCD later than you could every time). but I know BLM changes a lot as you level, so if this falls out of the rotation as you level I'll just roll with it for now and not bother trying to master the timing.

This won't be a concern, because you'll very rarely (if ever) use Fire 1 at max level. You'll be able to hold onto that proc until you need to move, or your fire phase is over.

Actually, looks like you won't ever use it, but its replacement still has a Firestarter proc. Won't change things though. It's not spammed and you won't need to worry about overwriting your proc.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Valentin posted:

If you're below level 60, you want to use Firestarters immediately, but without ever ceasing to cast. In the worst case, this means casting Fire, starting to cast a second Fire and realizing you have the proc, and loosing the proc after that second Fire. In better cases you'll be able to sequence other spells to minimize the odds of losing a proc; for instance, if you have a Thundercloud proc, you should cast Fire -> Thundercloud, because while the Thundercloud is casting you have the time to check for a Firestarter.

If you're at level 60, you have Fire IV, which means you'll never need or want to cast Fire twice in a row to begin with. That means you can save your Firestarter proc for when you need it, which might be movement, weaving another oGCD, refreshing Astral Fire to allow yourself to be greedy with Polyglot or Thundercloud procs, or (and I think this returns the highest potency per second) using Transpose->Firestarter instead of fastcast Fire III to swap from umbral to astral.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 2, 2022

solitonmedic
May 25, 2020

FuturePastNow posted:

they should make Dun Scaith reward moogle tomestones next time

I hope they add the whole raid to Explorer Mode, its so pretty.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

parasyte posted:

If you have a controller, map a crosshotbar for FSH and turn on the option to have the game accept controller input even when the window is inactive:

You can also fish by force feedback as the game rumbles your controller when you get a bite.

Oooh good call, thank you!

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

I'm slowly working through the post-Shadowbringers content and hoooo my god the whole run from The Heroes' Gauntlet through the trial afterwards was magnificent. Just so, so good! The story has hit some serious high notes and I can't wait to see what else it has in store.

Also, it seems like I need to give ocean fishing a try. :coolfish:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Lot of great cameos in the Hero’s Gauntlet. I’m glad they snuck Hillebrand in.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I must be weird cuz eureka was some of the most fun I've had in this game currently playing an alt just so I can do it all again.

The first time I did Baldesian Arsenal was a loving trip. Like flashbacks to old MMO raids. Leveling is really fun now because you get 300% echo in there and it lets you do some dumb insane stuff especially if you buy the BA body before starting (Which you should do).

I didn't like Bozja as much because of how it was more dependent on grinding out fates than monsters and the power difference between monster and player never changed. DR(S) was a loving blast and you could do some meme builds with classes after zadnor came out.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Fiye posted:

The first time I did Baldesian Arsenal was a loving trip. Like flashbacks to old MMO raids. Leveling is really fun now because you get 300% echo in there and it lets you do some dumb insane stuff especially if you buy the BA body before starting (Which you should do).

I didn't like Bozja as much because of how it was more dependent on grinding out fates than monsters and the power difference between monster and player never changed. DR(S) was a loving blast and you could do some meme builds with classes after zadnor came out.

I also wasn't a fan of Bozja, didn't really seem to have the same kind of community as eureka mostly just me running to fates and then them getting finished before I even get half way there.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I also wasn't a fan of Bozja, didn't really seem to have the same kind of community as eureka mostly just me running to fates and then them getting finished before I even get half way there.

Eureka could end up the same way but things being framed as Notorious Monsters and the harder ones requiring a group to spawn pre-300% echo made it a community effort and not a race to the bottom.

Also it helps that most people wait a few mins for the lurkers/waiters to get to the spawn point. Even if its for the really good ones (Cassie/KA)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I did Eureka just before EW came out and there were regular shouting matches in shout chat in instances because people would pull early all the times, claiming that they had worked for that NM by farming the mobs and that everyone that didn't were leeches that didn't deserve the rewards. This was a regular occurance and I saw at least a pull time argument per day.

Although fates in Bozja are probably worse since there are never any pull time considerations, CEs are much better designed and are honestly a lot more fun to me than NMs in Eureka, with the latter feeling like glorified FATES apart from a few exceptions in which you actually had to pay attention to the mechanisms.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
YoshiP can you bring in the lotto wards early please

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You know, we can have it both ways. Bozja is way better than Eureka and Bozja isn’t very good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eureka was good, actually.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As a person who is paying FF11 in the year of our lord 2022 of my own accord Eureka is, at best, tolerable, and that's post nerfs. It's incredibly boring, and Bozja at least has the decency to make you do fun fights with like, mechanics and stuff often.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
With how hard I went on OG diadem, I'm real glad I missed eureka 1.0. I would have shattered my psyche and all relationships on that

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I thought Bozja was kind of confusing and I didn't like the area very much, but running around doing fates is fun. I've never done Euraka so I don't have experience for comparison.

Also I didn't mind the Bozja grind because I wasn't actually doing it for... whatever it is you get from it, I was just after exp.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I asked before about length of time to get an armor piece that costs a few platinum coins in Bozja, but is there a quick checklist of what I have to do to get there? As I understand the coins don't drop right away.

I haven't even done the FFT raids so I know I need to start with those.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
My friends have said they probably aren't adding anymore races but I'm not gonna stop screaming outside Yoshi-P's house until they use the Ronso skeletons to let me play as a Bangaa.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Bozja I finally got up to rank 25 while leveling Black Mage but I haven't mustered up the energy to try to do Dalriada and finish the actual story yet. Is it hard to get groups together for that at this point?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Eureka was good, actually.
not really

but it's okay now

Bleck posted:

My friends have said they probably aren't adding anymore races but I'm not gonna stop screaming outside Yoshi-P's house until they use the Ronso skeletons to let me play as a Bangaa.
Lala skeletons to give us Ivalice Moogles

Or playable Loporits.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Aphrodite posted:

I asked before about length of time to get an armor piece that costs a few platinum coins in Bozja, but is there a quick checklist of what I have to do to get there? As I understand the coins don't drop right away.

You need to go through the southern front quests, clear CLL, and clear delubrum reginae to get access to the vendor in Zadnor. The fastest way to get platinum coins and mythril coins (100 mythril = 1 platinum) is theoretically by clearing the Dalriada (which requires you to get to rank 25 to unlock) but it's almost impossible to get groups for it right now.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

With how hard I went on OG diadem, I'm real glad I missed eureka 1.0. I would have shattered my psyche and all relationships on that

it's so funny to me how they just totally dumpstered diadem like...one patch? after it came out because everyone realized it sucked

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Tekopo posted:

I did Eureka just before EW came out and there were regular shouting matches in shout chat in instances because people would pull early all the times, claiming that they had worked for that NM by farming the mobs and that everyone that didn't were leeches that didn't deserve the rewards. This was a regular occurance and I saw at least a pull time argument per day.

Although fates in Bozja are probably worse since there are never any pull time considerations, CEs are much better designed and are honestly a lot more fun to me than NMs in Eureka, with the latter feeling like glorified FATES apart from a few exceptions in which you actually had to pay attention to the mechanisms.

I only ever ran into what you talk about maybe once the entire time I did eureka from elvl 1-60 over the course of a month, everyone was super friendly and chatty in shout chat and it was like being in a huge party. whenever I did actual prep parties they weren't like complaining or talking poo poo in party chat about waiting for leechers or whatever. maybe I got lucky and happened to be playing at the same time as a bunch of cool people, or maybe you got unlucky.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It still has the issue that Eureka NMs are glorified FATEs and even Pazuzu the big bad special dude at the end of zone 1 was fuckin brainless. Then zone 2 sucks rear end and I haven't managed to make it deeper yet to when it starts approaching Bozja in quality because there's a raid and special spells, except the raid is needlessly complicated and needs like a billion people so it'll never happen unless there's a discord still forcing runs.

I'm just saying I'm glad they finally learned how to make grindy big zone stuff kinda fun by the third expansion try

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DR is not 'needlessly complicated' by any stretch of imagination. You also only need 8 people if the queue is still dead, which is not hard to organize really. You could probably do it with less but a few weeks ago when getting my friend his first clear that's all we needed and it was faster than normal runs with full people due to echo.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I can't decide which class to spend my Astrology on.

Why is my life so difficult. /playdead

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Edmond Dantes posted:

I can't decide which class to spend my Astrology on.

Why is my life so difficult. /playdead

I'm kinda wondering, since I got an extra tomedisk from P2S for the first time, if you buy the RPR weapon or keep buying PLD pieces until I'm full.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Bozja I finally got up to rank 25 while leveling Black Mage but I haven't mustered up the energy to try to do Dalriada and finish the actual story yet. Is it hard to get groups together for that at this point?

It's still pretty dire if you want a Dalriada run, since skirmish farming is superior merits/XP per hour (and also completely brainless Netflix activity). The difficulty scales a ton if you've got a small party though. Three or four people could successfully complete Dal if they're on point, but I'd recommend at least a full party of friends to go into Zadnor if you're having trouble getting it done with a pug. Note that it's not possible to solo no matter how badass you are, due some party split sections.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

I'm pretty sure Yoshi-P himself said that after Hrothgirls, they're done adding new races. Which is a shame, there are a lot of good possibilities that they could have added.

E: I hope the upcoming live letter talks about that, I'm really curious where they're gonna go with Hrothgirls.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Man, I saw the 68 WVR quest coming a mile away.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Aphrodite posted:

- Finish Ivalice raids so you can start accessing Bozja content at all, as well as the 5.0 MSQ
- Start the quest Hail to the Queen in Kugane, which is the starter to all the BSF questlines, the Shadowbringers relic, etc.
- Proceed into the Bozjan Southern Front, gaining Mettle by completing skirmishes and critical engagements. While inside, follow the quests that are offered to you too.
- Get to mettle rank 10 (later sub-areas of BSF give more mettle), and complete Castrum Licus Latore (essentially a super-CE). As described, you may need to get a group together externally, as CLL is not as lucrative as it once was and is not usually populated when it does pop.
- Complete Delubrum Reginae afterwards. This will allow you to unlock Zadnor.
- Get to mettle rank 25 in Zadnor. The mettle gains here are significantly higher than BSF. You may have issues with player population until you get to the third sub-zone, so again, finding some friends can help a lot.
- Complete the Dalriada. As before, getting friends together can help due to unattractiveness to the general populace.
- Platinum coins are now available and can drop from CEs in Zadnor, the Dalriada, etc.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Ibram Gaunt posted:

DR is not 'needlessly complicated' by any stretch of imagination. You also only need 8 people if the queue is still dead, which is not hard to organize really. You could probably do it with less but a few weeks ago when getting my friend his first clear that's all we needed and it was faster than normal runs with full people due to echo.

Can confirm you can do it with a light party, even without stocking the DR-specific essences (or in the case of the pugged light party I was in, one without anything at all...). It just takes ages and you need to get the mechanics down consistently. It's how I got my first clear. If you don't have a tank you'll need someone to actually bring the enmity/defense up essences to do it, but even a healer can tank the whole thing if they bring the right ones.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Man, I know WHY they're not ever going to consider it but I'd love to play as a goblin

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I know there’s a gobby mask, but is there a gobby body costume? It would be nice to use a Lala to role play as a goblin (albeit with unusually good posture).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

- Finish Ivalice raids so you can start accessing Bozja content at all, as well as the 5.0 MSQ
- Start the quest Hail to the Queen in Kugane, which is the starter to all the BSF questlines, the Shadowbringers relic, etc.
- Proceed into the Bozjan Southern Front, gaining Mettle by completing skirmishes and critical engagements. While inside, follow the quests that are offered to you too.
- Get to mettle rank 10 (later sub-areas of BSF give more mettle), and complete Castrum Licus Latore (essentially a super-CE). As described, you may need to get a group together externally, as CLL is not as lucrative as it once was and is not usually populated when it does pop.
- Get to mettle rank 25 in Zadnor. The mettle gains here are significantly higher than BSF. You may have issues with player population until you get to the third sub-zone, so again, finding some friends can help a lot.
- Complete the Dalriada. As before, getting friends together can help due to unattractiveness to the general populace.
- Platinum coins are now available and can drop from CEs in Zadnor, the Dalriada, etc.

Cool, thanks.

Looks like there's also a weekly quest to rerun CLL and Dalriada that just gives you 9. I guess once I get into it I'll find out what's going to be more practical.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Kyrosiris posted:

What would you say is the minimum number of people to do CLL normally?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Travic posted:

Pretty sure I saw people saying a party of three cleared it the other day, but they probably had good Lost Actions at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travic posted:

8 seems to be a safe bet with Las.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

"normally" would be like 24-48 people. I think at 16 is where echo kicks in, so depending on what you mean by normally I guess that might be the minimum? I've trio'd both CLL and Dal, including soloing one side of split party bosses, as both MCH and RDM with beast essence. Taking some lost cures would make up for the lack of an essence, but it'll be much rougher if you don't already know mechanics. Low player echo gets ridiculous though.