Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Tirranek posted:

How does sieging a gate cause attrition when Cathay gets everything it needs from the safe side? :thunk:

Depends on who is doing the sieging I suppose. Skull theft, rampant loving, plagues, or maybe that food your eating isn’t food look at it again aha it’s not food it’s just dirt hahahaha you’re eating dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Twigand Berries posted:

Depends on who is doing the sieging I suppose. Skull theft, rampant loving, plagues, or maybe that food your eating isn’t food look at it again aha it’s not food it’s just dirt hahahaha you’re eating dirt

I hadn't thought of that! Would explain a lot.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Rank nurgle farts

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Another interesting bit from the demon prince video is that Ursun Revivalist's, the faction headed by Boris according to leaks, was on the domination screen as a faction that needed to be destroyed. It looks like boris is on the campaign map from the get go, and may be an unlockable or starting kislev lord in the campaign.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I don't know about turn 1, I saw some Youtubers show the victory stuff at the beginning and the Ursun faction was already crossed off. I get the feeling he emerges as you progress the plotline.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I'm just waiting for the Ogre content :btroll:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think ill be skipping the thread between now and launch day. Theres so much new stuff and I want it to stay as new as possible. Ignorance is bliss see yis again on the 18th, or 19th.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

I think ill be skipping the thread between now and launch day. Theres so much new stuff and I want it to stay as new as possible. Ignorance is bliss see yis again on the 18th, or 19th.

next week is rear end play!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
After months of silence the Mac client got the cavalry update yesterday. Fingers crossed that the WH3 port is coming along faster than that.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Twigand Berries posted:

next week is rear end play!

I forgot Slaanesh is about more than sex.

Next week is just absolutely perfect rear end play!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I think I might try to get one more mortal empires run in TWW2 before the third game comes out. I'm going to give Skaven a shot, since I've never really played them before. I'm going to spread some corruption in advance of spreading the plague as soon as nurgle launches.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

after >13,500 hours, Legend uninstalled WH2. Crazy.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Scott Forstall posted:

That is 562.5 days worth of playing.

I have never felt so popular, extroverted and free upon hearing a person has played one video game that much.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Scott Forstall posted:

I...uh..I'm pretty sure I spent less time playing video games in general thorough my entire life than he spent playing WH2. :stare:

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Substandard posted:

I think I might try to get one more mortal empires run in TWW2 before the third game comes out. I'm going to give Skaven a shot, since I've never really played them before. I'm going to spread some corruption in advance of spreading the plague as soon as nurgle launches.

I started an Ikit Claw mortal empires campaign for the first time last night and I can't really put into words how hilariously overpowered he feels after coming off of a few Mannfred runs. Highly recommend trying him or Skrolk out

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Given that it's been his full-time job for years, that playtime doesn't seem all that unreasonable. Though I can't imagine ever maintaining my enthusiasm for any game for that long.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Scott Forstall posted:

So he only played around 6 battles then.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah that’s “only” like a 60 hour work week since TWW2 launch. Still crazy, but plenty of people pull that and more. Plus I’m sure plenty of those hours are the game just idling overnight/while he’s AFK.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Anno posted:

Yeah that’s “only” like a 60 hour work week since TWW2 launch. Still crazy, but plenty of people pull that and more. Plus I’m sure plenty of those hours are the game just idling overnight/while he’s AFK.

I highly doubt that, dude has an insane work ethic and genuinely loves the poo poo out of the game. I'd be surprised if more than 5% of it is idle time. Regular live streams that go 6-8 hours, his own campaigns he plays not for livestreams, tier rankings, saving your disaster battles, etc etc. He is an absolute top tier content streamer with a stellar work ethic. He has worked drat hard for what he has put together, don't try to demean that or take it away from him.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tirranek posted:

How does sieging a gate cause attrition when Cathay gets everything it needs from the safe side? :thunk:

The smell.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

I...uh..I'm pretty sure I spent less time playing video games in general thorough my entire life than he spent playing WH2. :stare:
lmao check out this scrub with <50% his waking life spent under /played

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

TaintedBalance posted:

I highly doubt that, dude has an insane work ethic and genuinely loves the poo poo out of the game. I'd be surprised if more than 5% of it is idle time. Regular live streams that go 6-8 hours, his own campaigns he plays not for livestreams, tier rankings, saving your disaster battles, etc etc. He is an absolute top tier content streamer with a stellar work ethic. He has worked drat hard for what he has put together, don't try to demean that or take it away from him.

It's.... its a game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's.... its a game.
Its a job to him. Playing the game literally pays his bills.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Self-imposed sixty hours work weeks are not a good work ethic, it's super unhealthy. Plus all the other hours he would've put in his stuff during editing and recording post commentary and whatever else. That actually sounds awful, I'm sure the dude knows himself far better than any of us nerds but I actually hope he takes some time because that's insane!

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its a job to him. Playing the game literally pays his bills.

This. It is labor he puts in to provide us with a service. His job is playing the game and entertaining us with it. That takes a poo poo ton of hard work. Labor is labor, work is work. Not only is it entertainment and work, it has unique value to its audience in that we learn more about the game that we play for relaxation (well, as relaxing as getting ambushed by skaven can be) through the entertainment he provides. Everyone in this thread has had their ability to understand and enjoy the game improved by the insights he and other streamers like him have provided to us through the tips and tricks that have been shared throughout this thread. No one in this thread is coming up with all the ideas and meta on their own - that comes from a dedicated and invested community, that is supported via work. From Turin hosting tournaments, to Milkeandcookies broadcasting/commenting on them for our understanding, to Legend cheese, to Enticity's relentless unit and ability testing. Just because they love playing the game doesn't mean its not work. Respect labor.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

Self-imposed sixty hours work weeks are not a good work ethic, it's super unhealthy. Plus all the other hours he would've put in his stuff during editing and recording post commentary and whatever else. That actually sounds awful, I'm sure the dude knows himself far better than any of us nerds but I actually hope he takes some time because that's insane!

This is also a really good point. He actually just took a significant break before the tw3 stuff dropped and has said he is going to aim for a healthier lifestyle balance this time around, which is especially hard to do when you're trying to carve your space out in the streamer community. You eat what you kill and there is always someone else just a bit more hungry than you are, which can lead to some very unhealthy outcomes.

Sorry if I'm coming off strong on this, but as someone who has been working in the video game industry for a decade plus, it really grinds my gears when people dismiss the hard work that goes not only into making them, but promoting, building, and being part of the community, especially from those who enjoy the end product out of it. Its a loving brutal industry where bosses will be trying to undercut workers all the time because its a "passion", we don't need the community doing that at the same time. Labor is labor, have solidarity.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DaysBefore posted:

Agreed, but has he come out and said he's worked that much? The hours in the game could be cranked up due to idle time, being alt-tabbed out, ect.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

lol he absolutely just leaves the launcher up to inflate his hours

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Nurgle vs Khorne battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w32229hFX6Y

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Legend’s got the receipts tho. It’s all there on his channel. He spent a few years streaming 7-8 hours a day, 6 days a week (and that “day off” was often spent doing disaster battle videos) and he was worried how the community would respond when he got to the point where he had to say he needed to pare back to 6-7 hours a day, 5 days a week. Needless to say his viewers were happy for him to get some rest.

Before he took a break, he was also bouncing to a new campaign after only 2-3 days sometimes because viewership would drop off and he admitted he knew he was running out of things to do with WH2.

He’s in a much better place and I cannot wait to see him dive into WH3/Mortal Empires. The first Tzeentch campaign is going to be bonkers, based on his comments so far.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 2, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
As a latecomer to this game, it's fascinating parsing through the massive archive of content out there from older balance patches, mods that have been continuously updated for 5 years, "must have mods" that were abandoned two years ago, early game guides that are no longer relevant because of new start positions and lords, old streams showcasing exploits that have been patched and on and on.

There's layers and layers of sediment to this strange game.

It seems very likely that there's 5 or more years of TWW3 to come.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TaintedBalance posted:

This is also a really good point. He actually just took a significant break before the tw3 stuff dropped and has said he is going to aim for a healthier lifestyle balance this time around, which is especially hard to do when you're trying to carve your space out in the streamer community. You eat what you kill and there is always someone else just a bit more hungry than you are, which can lead to some very unhealthy outcomes

The thing here is that Legend has carved his space out in the TWW streamer ecosystem. There's no one as far as I know who even tries to do what he does. Total Warhammer 2 has pretty much made him; before Total Warhammer he was basically yet another streamer going edgelord for clicks and arrogant enough to call himself Legend; just over five years ago he released an analytics video; at the time he was at 47,000 subscribers (and making about $1100/month) massively bolstered by TWW1; now he's at 407,000. So now he can relax a bit.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Dang. The Whispers of Slaanesh are infreaking sane. Sure you give up an attempt to get the soul for the end game (you can come back, but not right away).

Lionheart (my preferred TW streamer, who's currently doing a Daemon Prince-Undivided game) is in the Slaaneshi realm and he was offered 100,000 Favor with Slaanesh to call the invasion off (at this point, somewhere near turn 50 of the game, he's currently at about 10,000 TOTAL favor between the Four Chaos Gods and Undivided). The one before that was 45,000 Favor, an item (that would increase growth by +250 in local province, and +25 control, OR -50 Enemy Control if in an enemy controlled region) and ALL his heroes and lords would get +5 levels instantly.

That's crazy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Someone posted upthread that the rewards in the chaos realms were originally much lower, but in testing they found out that they had to crank the rewards up to those absurd levels to ever get a player to consider taking the reward and loving off.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
God bless those greedy testers

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kanos posted:

Someone posted upthread that the rewards in the chaos realms were originally much lower, but in testing they found out that they had to crank the rewards up to those absurd levels to ever get a player to consider taking the reward and loving off.

I like it. The gods should be able to offer you absurd rewards. Otherwise, no one would fall to Chaos.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, if it was like "finish this campaign objective" or "here's +5 growth for a few turns", no one would take the latter. I like that they're insane and over the top and make you actually consider the offer. That's thematic and cool.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So at launch, it's going to be like the second one where it's only the new armies in skirmish/multiplayer until Immortal Empires right?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So at launch, it's going to be like the second one where it's only the new armies in skirmish/multiplayer until Immortal Empires right?

Correct. The four god factions, Kislev, Cathay, Ogres, and the Daemon Prince(who won't be allowed in ranked, IIRC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, it's pretty clear it's going to be like that for like at least 2 months or so I'd say. Ultimately that's fine, gives the new factions some time to shine, especially in multiplayer where I think the old factions are going to upstage the new ones by just having a lot more tools at their disposal.